Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

The working class isn't very socially progressive.

we are talking about voters the alp cares about though :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

open24hours posted:

The Greens seem like they're aiming very low with this 20% soft drink tax. I rarely drink Coke, but a can going from $1 to $1.20 wouldn't stop me. Why not make it 2000%? It's not like there aren't plenty of sugar free drinks available already.

Where in blue gently caress are you getting cans of soft drink for $1ea that isnt buying a 30 pack at Woolies on special?

EDIT: I agree the tax should be more. Also I have free postmix at work so I will just refill my empties at work.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I like how they are just calling it "The Plan" now.

Come on Joe Average support the plan!

But what is the plan

We will tell you later!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Laserface posted:

Where in blue gently caress are you getting cans of soft drink for $1ea that isnt buying a 30 pack at Woolies on special?

EDIT: I agree the tax should be more. Also I have free postmix at work so I will just refill my empties at work.

I don't buy it, but you can get it for way less than a dollar a can. http://shop.coles.com.au/online/national/coca-cola-soft-drink-coke-375ml-cans-7365777p

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

There was a really funny but last year where dyson heydron and (i think) george brandis were talking about how anti-catholicism is the only acceptable bigotry these days and theres just so much of it around. What loving planet do these idiots live on

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Somebody once told morrison that blackmailing people with tortured children and accussing charity workers of encouraging the harm theyre there to alleviate wasnt very christian and he's been a big blubbery mess every since

I'm still facebook friends with my old congregation, who tend to fall on the compassionate side of the spectrum when it comes to social issues. This popped up today and I feel is relevant:

Link

quote:

Neither the Coalition, nor the ALP, nor the Greens should be characterised as pro-God or anti-God. The Constitution, common law and the liberal tradition mean they have no power to legislate for or against religion, so they can never be anti-God in the way that totalitarian regimes that persecute people for religious faith have been. They all have policies that are far removed from the vision of Jesus and policies that fit with the vision of Jesus. It is an act of futile moral calculus to say that the Greens’s stance on anti-discrimination laws is more or less godless than the Coalition’s stand on refugees, or that the Greens’s stance on euthanasia is more godless than the crass materialism that stands at the centre of the ALP and Coalition policy making, let alone try to weigh up the combined basket of policies of each party.

So let’s put an end to this nonsense that the Greens are somehow more opposed to Christian values than the other parties. As one might expect in a fallen world, all the parties have policies that foster living that is strongly at odds with the teaching of Jesus and policies that are compatible with the teaching of Jesus. Let’s rather have a sane and measured discussion around which set of policies will best further justice & the common good.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Federal Government removed a respected veterinarian after she presented evidence of cruelty and appalling conditions on board Australian live export ships, according to documents obtained by the ABC.

Dr Simpson was removed from her position weeks after the confidential report was inadvertently published

Australian Livestock Exporters Council has denied industry bullies veterinarians, says report is outdated

Dr Lynn Simpson was one of the country's most experienced and respected live export veterinarians when she was hired by the Department of Agriculture in 2012 in response to the explosive Four Corners report on live export cruelty.

As a technical adviser to the Animal Welfare Branch, Dr Simpson was invited to submit a report to a government steering committee which was reviewing Australia's standards for live export.

Dr Simpson's report, which she submitted in November 2012, was meant to be confidential.

It revealed photographic evidence of animal cruelty she had witnessed working onboard Australia's live export ships.

Dr Simpson detailed how cattle were forced to stand on hard floors for weeks on end, resulting in horrific leg injuries which often led to the animal being euthanased.

She also raised concerns that sick animals which would clearly be unable to survive the voyage were often loaded onto the ship because of poor inspection processes.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-22/live-export-vet-removed-after-revealing-conditions-on-ships/7501428

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

I like how they are just calling it "The Plan" now.

Come on Joe Average support the plan!

But what is the plan

We will tell you later!

You'll find out after the election.
----

Doing some research into minor senate parties and arranging my senate preferences before pre-polling.
QLD

Citizens Electoral Council have a policy titled: "Global warming is a fraud"

Sal RIVAS and Val Tanguilig are from "Voices of Multicultural Australia" and are centre left immigrant independents. Sal in particular is worth a vote, for another Ricky Muir-alike average person in the senate.

Val doesn't have a lot of information other than being a PhD holding phillipino biologist supporting the environment and empowering people http://www.voma.com.au/candidates/

Rod McGARVIE has left the LNP to join the Family first. This god bothering dick came to my house and told me I was wrong about the NBN and tech industries are not important. Also told me marriage equality is not a real problem.

Renewable energy party is heavily green sided and opposes the TPP, wants to increase CSIRO and ARENA (australian renewables agency- a govt dept) funding.
actually look at their policy page, its really promising, no policies outside their area but they look to do their research and will probably be great Greens allies. http://www.renewableenergy.org.au/

The Australian Progressives have very favourable policies that align with the majority of the thread here. https://www.australianprogressives.org.au/policy
close offshore detention centres, Federal ICC, positive action on climate change etc etc. I'm thinking of preferencing these first.

All the christian, bullshit parties dont get preferences.

I'll now look into the independents

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I thought this part was pretty important:

SynthOrange's link posted:

The ABC has obtained documents that show Dr Simpson's report was meant to be an internal, confidential document not for public release.

But the department, not Dr Simpson, accidentally published the report on the department's website.

"That is when all hell broke loose and I went from being a valued employee to persona-non-grata," Dr Simpson said.

Dr Simpson found herself gradually isolated and her evidence sanitised.

"I was excluded from discussions, meetings and then they asked me to remove all photographic evidence from a report I had prepared for the Australian Maritime Safety Authority," she said.

Weeks after her report was published, she was removed from her position.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alternate caption for that last image: Election 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I thought this part was pretty important:

Soon we will have fired everybody who tells us about bad things happening and we wont have to worry about anything anymore

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Stop the goats.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
"Liberal senator Cory Bernardi has launched a blistering attack on Malcolm Turnbull, accusing him of implying that he and other Coalition MPs are homophobic."

“The demand for tolerance by leftists is nothing more than a thinly veiled insistence that you surrender your views, your values and your beliefs in favour of theirs.”

“If you don’t, the name calling starts. You instantly become a ‘phobe’, a ‘bigot’ or worse. These slurs are designed to shut down any sensible dialogue or meaningful discussion about the subject matter at hand.”

I'd be attacking it too for only being an implication.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
I don't hate poofters and lesbos, I just hate the idea of them being treated the same as me.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Bigots these days are the biggest wimps. Imagine if romperstomper was filmed today

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A scene where russell crowe has to hold back tears and his voice cracks as he explains that hes not racist he just hates asians and loves nazis

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

A scene where russell crowe has to hold back tears and his voice cracks as he explains that hes not racist he just hates asians and loves nazis

"I am... sob... mortified... that my facebook... was hacked..."

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:gooncamp:

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
I hope the miner's are ready for another price dive, what with the sheer amount of "aww" I'm producing for Cory Bernardi right now.

Edit: wish we could build a wall around all these cloudflares

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I guess we know what's on the Chaser this week.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Two things in the Crikey emails they hopefully throw at me today:

I cannot process this reality, he looks like BA Santamaria reborn. Oh and speaking of,

What the actual gently caress.

quote:

With just two weeks to go until the election, fringe groups are now targeting voters at some Victorian pre-poll venues with a dramatic black-and-white flyer saying “Same Sex ‘Marriage’ has consequences for all”. It claims that legalising same-sex marriage and anti-discrimination laws will result in “extreme sex education”, “freedom of speech lost” and “gender ideology imposed”. The flyer claims that “Anyone can be prosecuted if they oppose same sex ‘marriage'”.

The flyer directs people to the Australian Family Association’s website and to the “Kids Rights” website, which attacks the Safe Schools program. The flyer carries an authorisation from Patrick Shea of Inverloch in Gippsland.

Shea, the person behind the pamphlets, says that he is part of the Australian Family Association and the National Civic Council, the conservative Christian organisation founded by B.A. Santamaria in the 1940s. The flyers are being handed out at key marginal seats across Victoria, “where it will hurt Labor most”. He lists Bendigo, McEwen, Indi, Corangamite, Latrobe, Dunkley and Deakin as some of the seats targeted, as well as sections of Chisholm and Hotham “where there are ethnic groups that are very distressed by this”. Shea says similar campaigns are being run in other states but he is unaware of the exact seats.

Shea says he’s not sure who set up the Kids Rights website, which doesn’t include any information about who publishes it. He says it was necessary to target Labor over the Safe Schools program because “it’s fairly blatant it’s not an anti-bullying program, it’s a gender ideology program. We don’t believe it’s the school’s job to be educating children on these issues.”

Shea takes most issue with the program’s attitude towards young people expressing their gender identity. “On phys ed days, can you imagine 11- or 12-year-old girls and some 15-year-old boy decides he’s going to be a girl that day and is in the change room and decides to parade around stark naked in front of those kids? You and I can’t go down to Bourke Street and parade around naked.”

However, when pushed on how likely that would be, Shea conceded it wasn’t completely likely.

Shea said this program offended people with religious backgrounds and that making it compulsory would mean that the government was bullying schools and parents. When asked if the program could be most valuable to young people who were coming to terms with sexuality or gender identity and were not accepted by their family, he conceded “it could be”.

“I have a brother is gay. It’s been a struggle for all of us to accept, but we do, and we love him as a brother, even though we don’t really love what he does, or understand what he does. I have two adult daughters and they have friends that are gay, but they’re not out there rubbing our noses in it, and this program is forcing kids who are not even old enough to understand it to be involved.”

Shea advocates a program from the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence, called RULER, as an alternative to Safe Schools. RULER advocates children becoming more emotionally intelligent and putting themselves in another person’s shoes.

He says that he feels that it is important to target Labor in the election. “If Bill Shorten gets in this is the only moment we will have to argue our case. He has said he will make this compulsory across the country.”

gently caress these moronic bigoted bastards.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

quote:

He has said he will make this compulsory across the country

I'm willing to bet when schooling was first made compulsory people threw a wild loving tanty about that too, subverting the children's natural inclination towards duties to the home and family.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Finally a candidate I can get behind :downsrim:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Kat Delacour posted:

I'm willing to bet when schooling was first made compulsory people threw a wild loving tanty about that too, subverting the children's natural inclination towards duties to the home and family.

quote:

Anyone who has followed the case of the Romeikes, a German family seeking asylum from Germany’s oppressive educational laws, will know how dismal are many modern attitudes regarding education. As Jayme Metzgar wrote here at The Federalist last year, the Romeikes immigrated to the United States due to the persecution they faced from the German government for wishing to homeschool their children—an act not merely frowned upon in that country, but one that is for all intents and purposes illegal. The Obama Administration, evincing the warmth, compassion and geniality for which it has become famous, decided to reject the Romeikes’ asylum, leaving them bound to return to Germany. The Romeike children are far behind on their homework, after all.

It would be bad enough if this were an isolated incident or an aberrant opinion, but the Obama Administration’s offensive rebuke of the Romeikes’ fundamental rights is indicative of the broader mindset that informs the very notion of compulsory education. For over a century and a half, the United States has been home to mandatory education laws, beginning in Massachusetts (where else?) in the middle of the nineteenth century and spreading across the amber waves of grain and purple mountains, finally arriving in Alaska three decades before it even became a state. In other words, from the cradle of American independence came one of the more offensive and deleterious notions ever evinced by, and wholly in opposition to, the American experiment, and to freedom itself. There is no dignity in such an institution. Laws that force children to attend school should be scrapped and thrown where they, and a great many other government failures, belong: to the ash-heap of history.

I couldn't find historical sources, this one's from 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The Narrator posted:

I couldn't find historical sources, this one's from 2014

That dude just learnt the word evince.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Please let this happen irl

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
A bellwether is a castrated male sheep.

:eng101:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

25+

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The redistribution means it's probably no longer a bell weather seat but it'd still be good to see.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Can you imagine how undeservedly smug Abbott would feel if the libs lost and Turnbull lost his seat?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Can you imagine how undeservedly smug Abbott would feel if the libs lost and Turnbull lost his seat?

If he'd just kept MY policies...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't know if undeservedly is the right word. Him and his right wing powerbrokers seem to have Turnbull by the short and curlies which is a big part of Turnbull's loss of popularity so Abbott has every reason to be smug.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

A police tactical commander has denied he should have ordered officers to storm the Lindt Cafe in the minutes before the gunman shot cafe manager Tori Johnson.

The commander, known only as Tango Charlie, said he did not believe those inside the cafe were in "mortal danger" even after Man Haron Monis fired towards six escaping hostages minutes before he shot Mr Johnson.

At the inquest into the siege, the barrister representing Mr Johnson's family, Gabrielle Bashir SC, put it to Tango Charlie that he should have instigated an Emergency Action plan as soon as he knew Monis had fired the shot at the group of six.

"You should have committed to the [Emergency Action] in the knowledge of the shot fired at 2:03am," she said.

The tactical commander replied: "No, I don't think so."

Ms Bashir suggested the hostages faced clear threat to their lives.

"They were in mortal danger," she said.

He replied: "I don't believe they were in mortal danger. They were definitely in danger."

uuuuuuuh

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2016/06/22/day-life-scott-morrison-if-he-actually-faced-same-bigotry-lgbti-people

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

"It was a known unknown, but not an unknown unknown"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't know if undeservedly is the right word. Him and his right wing powerbrokers seem to have Turnbull by the short and curlies which is a big part of Turnbull's loss of popularity so Abbott has every reason to be smug.

"I made him unpopular by making sure he looked like a continuation of me :smug:"

Seems pretty undeserved to me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.facebook.com/unitedpatriotsfront/videos/301104193557373/

Jewish Islamic Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks

• Locked thread