Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Annual Prophet posted:

All of his videos are excellent, at least for the FWYS method(s). As a complete noob, I had much more success with FWYS (the book) plus these videos than with the other book I used (BBA).

yeah, i have nothing but good things to say about FWSY -- even if you dislike the result (someone here was saying how they didn't like how thick the crust is) i think he does a good job of giving you the tools you need to adjust and tailor the bread to your liking. the basic method he lays out is solid, and in my case the first attempt (using the basic saturday white bread recipe) far exceeded my expectations, which is a nice confidence boost to get when you're just starting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm going to try making mollete de Antequera. I've consulted a few recipes from various sources and I think I've translated this one:v http://www.blogseitb.com/recetasdecocina/2012/09/24/molletes-de-antequera/ correctly. Has anyone attempted this sort of bread, and if so, are there any particular pitfalls I need to avoid? It looks simple enough to me, although I'm going to be doing it by hand because I don't have a mixer with a dough hook.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

i found this video from the FWSY dude to be super helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPdedk9gJLQ&t=128s

I've had great results since I stopped flipping the dough over and manhandling it like that and started doing it this way instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEG1BjWroT0&t=174s

It's all smooth motions that keep the dough right side up, which is especially great when the dough is on the wet/sticky side of things.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 25, 2016

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

The Goatfather posted:

I've had great results since I stopped flipping the dough over and manhandling it like that and started doing it this way instead:

It's all smooth motions that keep the dough right side up, which is especially great when the dough is on the wet/sticky side of things.

nice, i'll have to give this a try. dude makes it look super easy although i'm sure it's more difficult if you don't make a bajillion loaves every day. when you say "great results" what is improved in comparison to the FWSY method? rise height? crumb? everything?

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

The Goatfather posted:

God that is beautiful, I loving love bread videos. Something else to try this weekend.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks, everyone, for the banneton and lame tips! I usually make a large batch and split in half, so 2x 8" cheapos it is! I went to Cost Plus before making my post, since my MIL said they had bannetons at hers, but ours didn't have any.

Time to see what my wife prefers for the lame. I'd be fine with a DIY skewer version, but she may want something a liiitle bit nicer.

And yeah, once we get our baking steel I'll buy a big metal mixing bowl so I don't have to manhandle the dutch oven and risk burning myself when I remove it from the oven.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah, i have nothing but good things to say about FWSY -- even if you dislike the result (someone here was saying how they didn't like how thick the crust is) i think he does a good job of giving you the tools you need to adjust and tailor the bread to your liking. the basic method he lays out is solid, and in my case the first attempt (using the basic saturday white bread recipe) far exceeded my expectations, which is a nice confidence boost to get when you're just starting out.

The guy is also a really good dude. He runs a few shops in Portland that are just beautiful, and he's really friendly even though he has a lot going on. I've been to his bakery and pizza restaurant, but not his newer cocktail lounge. I managed to catch him and have a conversation in the bakery. He signed my copy of FWSY at the end of it!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The guy is also a really good dude. He runs a few shops in Portland that are just beautiful, and he's really friendly even though he has a lot going on. I've been to his bakery and pizza restaurant, but not his newer cocktail lounge. I managed to catch him and have a conversation in the bakery. He signed my copy of FWSY at the end of it!

that's awesome. I loved his story about getting NIMBY'd out of Eugene - that's where i grew up and i can totally see that happening there.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah I loved that part of FWSY too. The idea that the smell of baking bread in the air was a nuisance and that flour dust was an explosive risk was just too rich.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mr. Glass posted:

that's awesome. I loved his story about getting NIMBY'd out of Eugene - that's where i grew up and i can totally see that happening there.

That's where I live now, and I can absolutely see that happening. I am completely unsurprised.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

first stab at cheddar+jalapeno. I went with 25% cheese (grated, added before folding) and like 18.5% jalapenos (added after the second fold), percentages gleaned from the jim lahey no-knead recipe that's around or some derivative of it (note: this is not no-knead, just a standard 79ish percent hydration sourdough). The grated cheese evenly mixed makes for just the right cheesiness throughout the crust, but next time I think I'd maybe add some of the cheese cubed when i add the peppers to make for a cheesier interior. It's definitely not enough jalapeno, but I missed the farmer's market and had to settle for peppers from food lion so lovely peppers are probably the problem

I had to leave for a few hours during the bulk rise and it got away from me a bit, which after proofing made for a huge piece of puffy dough that was hard to handle, so it came out a little goofy looking. Looks pretty good on the inside, though. The transition from winter to summer is messing up my bread timing :argh:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 4, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Quick question - for an aspiring baker who wants to bake mostly using whole wheat flour, what's a better book - Tartine, or Flour Water Salt Yeast?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So I am coming on the heels of a couple of discussions regarding getting a no kneed bread shaped and in the oven, and that's been helpful. My question is how the heck do you get it into the dutch oven? I've tried doing the last rise in a bowl with a floured towel and just dumping it in, and that works, but if I miss one spot on the towel I have a stringy mess. I have also just done the last rise on the counter, but then I am trying to juggle a blob of dough bigger than my hands into a hot pot and that doesn't always work out either.

Am I over proofing? The recipe I am using is 70% hydration, 12 hour rise without kneading, then folding and a 2 hour rise. I am really not doing much shaping except folding until it holds its shape a bit. Do I need to get a scraper and follow that SFBI video? Should I abandon the no knead style and work the dough more?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Quick question - for an aspiring baker who wants to bake mostly using whole wheat flour, what's a better book - Tartine, or Flour Water Salt Yeast?

In my opinion, the best books to choose from for a beginner are Beranbaum's The Bread Bible, Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice, DiMuzio's Bread Baking - An Artisan's Perspective, Hamelman's Bread - A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes, and Forkish's Flour Water Salt Yeast. You'll find many opinions with different recommendations of each for various reasons, but to me, it comes down to just two: Hamelman and Reinhart. Reinhart writes really engagingly, but Hamelman will give you a better foundation of skills and explains why things work the way they do almost as well as Beranbaum, who writes more like a textbook. DiMuzio will give you more of a professional introduction to bread baking and is great at putting into words what most authors can only show on film. I consider Forkish best as a supplement to the others; in my opinion, Hamelman for the technically-minded and Reinhart for the less-so is the ideal introduction to bread baking.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I got both for xmas when I was starting out, and arbitrarily I started with Tartine, using FWSY for reference. FWSY is a much better reference and contains many more recipes for different breads and doughs requiring different levels of time/prep/effort. Tartine is basically just one sourdough bread recipe in excruciating detail from culturing your own starter to baking a loaf of bread with it followed by several variations with different flours and additives (walnuts olive, whole wheat, semolina, etc). Most of the book isn't bread recipes at all, but things that are good with/on bread or things that use your old leftover bread since you're a member of cool bread crew now and you can't even eat all the bread. I was just starting out, my technique was bad and I had never added anything but dough to my dough, so keeping most of the recipe and the timing constant while I tweaked the rest was probably a lot more helpful than I realized, but at the end of the day it's just the one recipe. There are no quick and dirty recipes, no overnight recipes, nothing with commercial yeast or other preferments, and it's not terribly helpful at bending the bread's schedule to your will which is crucial if you aren't a professional baker

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 5, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

The Midniter posted:

The correct answer is Tartine #3. FWSY is a really good book too.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.
Do people throw flour onto the top of their bread before it goes into the oven because it looks cool? Is that the main reason for it?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Jimmy James posted:

Do people throw flour onto the top of their bread before it goes into the oven because it looks cool? Is that the main reason for it?

It's to make sure the bread doesn't stick to the banneton.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So I am coming on the heels of a couple of discussions regarding getting a no kneed bread shaped and in the oven, and that's been helpful. My question is how the heck do you get it into the dutch oven? I've tried doing the last rise in a bowl with a floured towel and just dumping it in, and that works, but if I miss one spot on the towel I have a stringy mess. I have also just done the last rise on the counter, but then I am trying to juggle a blob of dough bigger than my hands into a hot pot and that doesn't always work out either.

pretty much just don't miss a spot on the towel and fling it quickly into the dutch oven. you could let it rise in the bowl with parchment, doing a quick slash before putting the whole thing in and using the paper as a sling. (though i always got weird creases on the loaf doing that.)

this is 75% hydration, haphazardly dumped from a stiff couche and it fell slightly sideways:

light brioche hamburger buns:

anyone have tips for shaping hamburger buns? no matter how flat i shape them to rise, they still come out fairly dinner roll shape.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Flatten them with your rolling pin before final rise.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Also put a dimple in the center. The center of any bread will rise more than the edges, so if you counteract that by making a dent in the middle of the bun, you will get a flatter shape.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

This time is ~30% cheese and ~20% jalapenos, 2/3 of the cheese grated and mixed in with the starter/salt and 1/3 cubed and added after the second fold with the jalapenos. IDK if it's perfect yet but definitely a step in the right direction

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

This is my first transition from bread in the winter to bread in the summer. I've been using 75 degree water for everything since things warmed up and I had to ice it today because my cold tap water is 80 degrees. Hurray for water towers. The usual 5-7 hour bulk fermentation was still done in ~3.5. Feeding the starter before bed to mix in the morning now yields overripe starter first thing in the morning unless I set an alarm. I might move to twice a day feedings to see how that goes.

The sun :argh:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 11, 2016

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Looks great, just like all your bread!

I'm struggling, just moved from NYC to Virginia, and I left my sourdough culture behind in the chaos. Started a new one of course, but the yeast here definitely behaves differently (doesn't seem to be as robust), not to mention the tap water is kinda gross here. Still trying to dial it in. I've got a poolish going on the counter, so hopefully I'll have a good result to share tomorrow.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

So my wife is pregnant and wants something other than my crusty artisan loaves and I needed an excuse to try something different. This was my first attempt at a sandwich loaf. Recipe is the light wheat bread(using honey) from Bread Baker's Apprentice. I think it came out okay.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So I just started making my own bread again, and I have a different work schedule now than when I last did it, and am having trouble fitting it in. I've been using this sourdough recipe: https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/sourdough-pain-naturel/ .

It's the three stretch-folds and the 2.5 hour rise that make it difficult. I would mix the poolish in the evening, but I don't usually have time in the morning to make the dough up to the final rise before work. Suggestions?

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

So I am coming on the heels of a couple of discussions regarding getting a no kneed bread shaped and in the oven, and that's been helpful. My question is how the heck do you get it into the dutch oven?

I bench proof it on a piece of parchment paper. Before I put it in the dutch oven I cut the paper like 1" around the dough, score it, then transfer it to the pre-heated dutch oven. Works flawlessly, doesn't gently caress up the shape at all.

I use these sheets so I don't have to deal with a roll bunching up etc. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/baking-parchment-paper-set-of-100-half-sheets You can fit 2 1kg boules on them too, just punch the paper together a little bit so they don't touch.

The Goatfather posted:

This time is ~30% cheese and ~20% jalapenos, 2/3 of the cheese grated and mixed in with the starter/salt and 1/3 cubed and added after the second fold with the jalapenos. IDK if it's perfect yet but definitely a step in the right direction

Looks awesome, next time put a handful of shredded cheddar over the top of the loaf when you put it into the dutch oven, gives it an absolutely incredible caramalized crust, best thing I've ever smelled.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife made a batch of Smitten Kitchen's whole wheat bread, baked half of it and put the other half in the fridge. A couple days later, the top had formed a bit of a skin and was a little hard in one spot. Is there any way to reverse that hardening, say by adding water? Or how can we avoid that in the future?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Grilled naan on pizza stone on a blazing hot charcoal grill.
Turned out good.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

The Midniter posted:

My wife made a batch of Smitten Kitchen's whole wheat bread, baked half of it and put the other half in the fridge. A couple days later, the top had formed a bit of a skin and was a little hard in one spot. Is there any way to reverse that hardening, say by adding water? Or how can we avoid that in the future?

I generally rub/spray some vegetable oil on the top of the dough, and then cover it in plastic wrap.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

mmartinx posted:

I bench proof it on a piece of parchment paper. Before I put it in the dutch oven I cut the paper like 1" around the dough, score it, then transfer it to the pre-heated dutch oven. Works flawlessly, doesn't gently caress up the shape at all.

I use these sheets so I don't have to deal with a roll bunching up etc. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/baking-parchment-paper-set-of-100-half-sheets You can fit 2 1kg boules on them too, just punch the paper together a little bit so they don't touch.

Looks awesome, next time put a handful of shredded cheddar over the top of the loaf when you put it into the dutch oven, gives it an absolutely incredible caramalized crust, best thing I've ever smelled.

Thanks for this. I just came here to post after another disaster. I am proofing on a floured counter top now and the dough spreads out to about twice the size. Which means while the oven is heating up I try to shape it into more of a ball. That isn't working. It's still too big for my hands and somehow sticks to them even with flour which means what goes in the pot is nowhere near round. Also when I am trying to shape it I get big bubbles. Scoring the loaf caused it to fall a bit. So basically my 'boule' is going to be flat and triangular. I dunno, it definitely is expanding a lot, but I have find a better way to work with it. My wife says the dough is too wet, but I am doing a little less than 70% hydration.

Would I be better off trying to do 'knead the heck out of it' recipe? I want to progress to pure sourdough, which is why I am liking the no knead formula.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What's the recipe you're using?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

HIJK posted:

What's the recipe you're using?

600g flour
420g water
20g salt
half packet of yeast.

Mix, let sit for 12 hours. Put on counter, fold, fold some more. Once it is stretchy, let sit for 2 hours, put in oven, 25 min covered, 15 uncovered.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're doing too much after primary, let it sit for 18-24 and skip the folds, unless by folds you mean shaping.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

600g flour
420g water
20g salt
half packet of yeast.

Mix, let sit for 12 hours. Put on counter, fold, fold some more. Once it is stretchy, let sit for 2 hours, put in oven, 25 min covered, 15 uncovered.

My first thought is that you should divide the dough into two halves if it's too big for your hands.

In my experience water can make dough temperamental if there's too much. Add a little bit at a time. Mix it well, if there's any dryness or unmixed dough then add water until it's all mixed in. You might not need as much as the recipe suggests. Using the parchment paper will also help, I've done that myself with good results.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Do any of you guys have a really pro bread pudding recipe

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

Do any of you guys have a really pro bread pudding recipe

I always just eyeball the egg/milk mixture, but the secret to a really great bread pudding is letting it sit and soak up the custard before you bake it. Overnight is ideal but even a good few hours can make a big difference.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
At just 70% hydration it's definitely not the water content, that is not very high hydration at all so the problems are with the structure of the dough.

I think the problem is too long of a primary fermentation and then too long of proofing. Once a dough overferments, it'll lose a lot of structure. At that point, baking it as a ciabatta works best rather than trying to shape it into a boule.

I would definitely try making a smaller loaf to start so you can have a better feel for the dough and work with it. Scale it down to about 400 g of flour.

During your first 2 hours of primary fermentation, do stretch and folds every 30 minutes. That is when you should be doing stretch and fold, not after primary fermentation. I highly recommend these s+f at the beginning of primary fermentation to help give structure to the dough. It doesn't add much work over doing pure no-knead but significantly improves your dough.

I would then move it to the fridge to retard the primary fermentation. The cold dough will then also be easier for you to work with to shape it. After you shape it, proof in a basket or lined bowl to help keep the shape as it proofs. You can proof for up to 2 hours at room temp or stick it back in the fridge to let it proof even a bit longer, but definitely keep an eye on how the dough is feeling throughout proofing because it can end up taking a shorter or longer amount of time based on numerous factors.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I actually do the opposite. I do a short autolyse (length controlled by whenever the dough levels off in rising), then retard in the fridge for the week (deflating as necessary to prevent too much CO2 build up which can kill yeast), then pull it out in the morning for stretch and folds throughout the day (at long intervals, usually once before work, once at lunch, once after work, then shape and proof right before dinner). But I also do 80% hydration and prefer this because working with 80% hydration dough right after autolyse sucks. Structure of the dough by the 2nd s+f is already very elastic and easy to work with.

By happenstance, I'm actually making daily bread this week and took a picture 2 days ago, even though the one yesterday came out better.

I agree though, 12 hours sit without s+f's sounds very long. At 70% hydration, the dough being way too sticky sounds more like lack of gluten formation. I think maybe your expectation for 'elastic' is a bit under? The loaf falling a bit after scoring is normal, oven spring should restore it and more.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I made another round of jalapeno cheddar. This time I left the peppers in rings instead of dicing them and they give a nice little hint of heat when you bite them. When diced there was great sweet jalapeno flavor throughout but no heat to be found. In rings the sweet jalapeno flavor was surprisingly well distributed anyway, but not well enough, so I think I'm going to end up going with a fine dice and some big pieces (not necessarily rings) and maybe upping the peppers another 5-10% to check all the boxes, kind of like I'm doing with the cheese. No pics, though

I'm thinking about doing onion bread rolled in an everything bagel type seed mix next :regd08: