Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Bakalakadaka posted:

So cancel my Prime subscription and pay extra if I expect something that won't fit in the mailbox? :v:

That's the cost of cheap shipping.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have prime and they only ever send stuff UPS. I've never seen a prime package sent USPS. Weird.

This, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why are mortgages so much more expensive to fund than other loans? You've got the interest, which other loans also have, but then you also have the points above that to get to the APR, plus the closing costs.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I have prime and they only ever send stuff UPS. I've never seen a prime package sent USPS. Weird.

Like 90% of the stuff I order with prime shipping goes to USPS and I don't know why. I see UPS and FedEx trucks delivering things to the apartment complex all the time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kurzon posted:

OK, we're getting a bit off topic.

Here's a Wikipedia map of cannabis prohibition:

Notice that many (heck, most) of the red countries tend to be ones that are not the hugest fans of America. Vietnam, Ukraine, Jordan, Georgia, Syria, Kazakhstan... The US government doesn't have much influence there, never mind a US corporation (that sued Australia for putting warning labels on cigarette packs and lost). Some of these countries are Islamic, which is sufficient explanation, but others are Communist or former Communist, and others like India were non-aligned with either the West or the Soviet bloc.

If you had a map of that from say, 1950, you'd see that basically every jurisdiction on earth was banning marijuana and most other drugs. Because over the period 1910 up to World War II, every single country was engaged in anti-drug actions, and they imposed that same stuff on their vast colonial holdings.

America did not lead this, it was primarily led and recommended by the UK and various Western European countries. And now this tide of marijuana legalization is coming with little to no relation to what America's doing as well, though America is pretty far ahead on straight up legalization compared to most countries.

Bakalakadaka posted:

Is there a way to tell Amazon to never send things by USPS? Whenever I order something that doesn't fit in my apartment's mailbox they don't deliver it and I have to go pick it up at the post office which is only open during the hours I work because gently caress you. Any other service manages to get poo poo to my door, which is behind a keypad-locked entrance.

Does the mailman have to get past the keypad lock to put things in the apartment mailbox, or is that in some sort of lobby between the outside door and the keypad locked door? You should be able to call up the local post office and request that packages be left right next to the mailbox, even if they don't bring it to your door.

Bakalakadaka posted:

Like 90% of the stuff I order with prime shipping goes to USPS and I don't know why. I see UPS and FedEx trucks delivering things to the apartment complex all the time.

If one service is 1 penny cheaper than any other for your particular address, Amazon is going to use that pretty much all the time. It's just the way they operate.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

Actually, rich people consume more cannabis than the poor. Because drugs are expensive, you know. Maybe that's a reason why weed is slowly become legal across America. The rich want to get high, too. Everybody likes getting high.

Haha what people actually do has nothing to do with it, prohibition is just about scapegoating and extending welfare to the majority in the form of jobs in social service (social workers, psych people, types of lawyers, etc), law enforcement and corrections so that a large enough population of angry white people doesn't realize that this whole system doesn't really work for anyone.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

fishmech posted:

Does the mailman have to get past the keypad lock to put things in the apartment mailbox, or is that in some sort of lobby between the outside door and the keypad locked door? You should be able to call up the local post office and request that packages be left right next to the mailbox, even if they don't bring it to your door.

If one service is 1 penny cheaper than any other for your particular address, Amazon is going to use that pretty much all the time. It's just the way they operate.

The mailbox is in a separate little shed thing across the parking lot. Whenever they don't deliver things they just say "no secure location". They used to be able to deliver stuff to the leasing office but it's being renovated so they can't right now, and they never did it for me anyway when the office was open last year.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Bakalakadaka posted:

The mailbox is in a separate little shed thing across the parking lot. Whenever they don't deliver things they just say "no secure location". They used to be able to deliver stuff to the leasing office but it's being renovated so they can't right now, and they never did it for me anyway when the office was open last year.

Is the shed not secure (i.e., does it have a locking door)? If so it should be easy to request through the landlord and post office that your mail carrier get a key for it. I did this last year at my own apartment building and it's worked perfectly. If there's no lock your landlord can install one at your request.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Van Dis posted:

Is the shed not secure (i.e., does it have a locking door)? If so it should be easy to request through the landlord and post office that your mail carrier get a key for it. I did this last year at my own apartment building and it's worked perfectly. If there's no lock your landlord can install one at your request.

There's no lock for it but each of the mailboxes has two larger sections for packages that lock (which still aren't very big) and they put a key in your mailbox. So if the package can't fit in one of those you don't get it. The shed itself has no door, it's just a roof and some chest-high walls.

I'm guessing that the UPS and FedEx people have keys or an access code to the buildings, but USPS will only go to the mailboxes and nowhere else.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That's weird because I've only experienced the opposite except for a few items sold by a third party.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've had many problems with USPS, and I complained to Amazon multiple times, asking for them to use UPS whenever possible, over USPS. I'd say 1/4 packages I get after bitching a bunch is USPS, so I guess that might help?

Also try seeing if there are USPS locker pick up boxes near you, they're 24/7 and only require your driver's license or a receipt kind of thing from Amazon. Pretty handy.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Earwicker posted:

It's confusing because "decriminalized" means different things in different places. Weed has been decriminalized in many parts of the US for a long time, but that just means the cops turning a blind eye, small amounts not being prosecuted. It didn't mean actual stores selling weed as a business on public streets, we did not have those until we got full legalization in some states (except for medical dispensaries). Whereas in the Netherlands, maybe the term is decriminalized but since there are actual coffeeshops selling weed on public streets this carries with it a sense of more "official" approval, i.e not only are the cops just turning a blind eye but people are actually able to legally open a store that sells marijuana as a business. Probably the difference has to do with how businesses are licenses in addition to how drug laws are enforced but in any case the "decriminalization" in the Netherlands has often seemed way closer to legality than the decriminalization we've had here.

Make no mistake, as soon as shops step outside of the 'guidelines of accepted illegality' they get slapped down hard.

Just because tourists are generally not bothered doesn't mean the laws don't exist. You can carry more cannabis on your person in Colorado than you can in the Netherlands (even assuming the tolerated illegal 'limit'). Shops can sell, but they can't buy their product from producers because producing those quantities is illegal, and there are limits to amounts shops can have in stock, which most certainly are enforced.

Like, I get it, compared to the US, where you can (could?) get send to prison for decades for mere possession it might seem legal, but it most certainly isn't and there is still a huge criminal element attached. My family actually owned coffeeshops, there is quite a bit of things going on behind the scenes that (tourist) customers are not aware of.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Namarrgon posted:

Make no mistake, as soon as shops step outside of the 'guidelines of accepted illegality' they get slapped down hard.

Just because tourists are generally not bothered doesn't mean the laws don't exist. You can carry more cannabis on your person in Colorado than you can in the Netherlands (even assuming the tolerated illegal 'limit'). Shops can sell, but they can't buy their product from producers because producing those quantities is illegal, and there are limits to amounts shops can have in stock, which most certainly are enforced.

Like, I get it, compared to the US, where you can (could?) get send to prison for decades for mere possession it might seem legal, but it most certainly isn't and there is still a huge criminal element attached. My family actually owned coffeeshops, there is quite a bit of things going on behind the scenes that (tourist) customers are not aware of.

it's not just the possession laws, I think what's confusing is this: weed is decriminalized in my state, which means I can go outside and smoke a joint on the street without fearing harassment from the cops. But it does not mean that I would be able to open up a coffeeshop, put up a Weed Menu on my wall, and start selling weed over the counter to tourists. Any shop selling weed that openly would be shut down within hours, entirely regardless of it being decriminalized. Apparently in the Netherlands that is still within the "guidelines of accepted illegality" but that's a pretty huge difference. I'm sure there are still plenty of illegal things happening behind the scenes at Dutch coffeeshops but the fact that they operate openly at all is why it seems "legal" to us. It's the ability to base a business around the product, even if that business has shady behind-the-scenes components.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 21, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Yea, I had to get a box at a UPS store as my PO box would not accept any private carrier packages. And is only open from 830am to 5pm and closed from noon-1pm. I feel a little more republican every time I have to go in there.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Any good sites/recommendations for lawn tractors?

I have a hilly 3 acre lawn and the beater 1991 Simplicity I've been using finally died. I'm currently looking between a Husquavara GT52XLS and John Deere x380 (or possibly x580).

If money were no object, I'd go John Deere. However, since money is an object, I'm leaning toward the Husquavara which is about 1/3 less than the JD x380 and over half of an x580.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Earwicker posted:

it's not just the possession laws, I think what's confusing is this: weed is decriminalized in my state, which means I can go outside and smoke a joint on the street without fearing harassment from the cops. But it does not mean that I would be able to open up a coffeeshop, put up a Weed Menu on my wall, and start selling weed over the counter to tourists. Any shop selling weed that openly would be shut down within hours, entirely regardless of it being decriminalized. Apparently in the Netherlands that is still within the "guidelines of accepted illegality" but that's a pretty huge difference. I'm sure there are still plenty of illegal things happening behind the scenes at Dutch coffeeshops but the fact that they operate openly at all is why it seems "legal" to us. It's the ability to base a business around the product, even if that business has shady behind-the-scenes components.

I'm pretty sure we actually agree but are arguing tiny semantic details. I just really dislike the "lol weed legal" stereotype that we have. I just looked at the police website and the very first sentence in the FAQ for how much you can legally have on you is "Possession of drugs is illegal."

Maybe I'm just bitter about being around stoners for a way larger part of my life than anyone should though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Namarrgon posted:

I'm pretty sure we actually agree but are arguing tiny semantic details. I just really dislike the "lol weed legal" stereotype that we have. I just looked at the police website and the very first sentence in the FAQ for how much you can legally have on you is "Possession of drugs is illegal."

Maybe I'm just bitter about being around stoners for a way larger part of my life than anyone should though.

Does like, your whole country just stink like weed 24/7? Because sometimes downtown stinks like beer piss on Sunday morning but otherwise alcohol culture is pretty inoffensive in an olfactory sense.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

Does like, your whole country just stink like weed 24/7? Because sometimes downtown stinks like beer piss on Sunday morning but otherwise alcohol culture is pretty inoffensive in an olfactory sense.

America's not as good at heavy drinking as Europe. Even in the UK where we're kind of behind the curve in terms of heaviness the smell of beer farts from an alcoholic is enough to make prohibition cross your mind.

Seriously I've smelled rotted (animal) corpses that were flowers compared to that.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

tuyop posted:

I think you'll find that when you have relatively easy access to these things, it loses a lot of its bad boy appeal. Most people I know don't do weed. At best they tried once or twice but just didn't care enough.

In practice, you sometimes smell it if you walk behind or past someone and you definitely smell it around the outside seating areas of coffeeshops, but that's all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speaking of Amazon and USPS: I ordered a cheap headphone amp that was never delivered, though USPS tracking insists it was. Is Amazon likely to offer a refund if I just contact them and say the package never arrived, or do I have to call USPS and hope / pray?

I don't even want the drat thing anymore, I bought a different amp at Fry's when I realized the one I ordered wasn't coming, so.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Amazon and USPS: I ordered a cheap headphone amp that was never delivered, though USPS tracking insists it was. Is Amazon likely to offer a refund if I just contact them and say the package never arrived, or do I have to call USPS and hope / pray?

I don't even want the drat thing anymore, I bought a different amp at Fry's when I realized the one I ordered wasn't coming, so.

Yeah just let Amazon know. They'll take care of you.

edit: Fun Amazon story: I ordered a generator from them at a cost of several hundred dollars. When I unpacked it, it was clear that it had been gassed up previously, drained and repacked. That kind of thing is not supposed to be shipped, nor did I want a used/previously returned generator. I emailed Amazon that night, and when I woke up the next morning had been refunded the full cost and received an email saying to keep or dispose of the generator as I saw fit. That's good service.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 21, 2016

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Amazon support has always been great about stuff like this for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, fingers crossed then. The times I've tried to deal with USPS have been less than pleasant or effective :v:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, fingers crossed then. The times I've tried to deal with USPS have been less than pleasant or effective :v:

As the recipient, you should never have to. If you never received the good in question, it's the seller's problem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

They've already put in for a refund in 3-5 business days and promised me a free one-day shipping as an apology gesture. Pro-tier customer service, that!

On to other things: a self-serve car wash opened across the street a month ago. Figure I'll go spend four or five bucks a wash there instead of 25+ at the local gas station wash, but I need my own drying towel(s). Any material or other recommendations I should look for?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

Why are mortgages so much more expensive to fund than other loans? You've got the interest, which other loans also have, but then you also have the points above that to get to the APR, plus the closing costs.

It's a poo poo ton more paperwork to close a mortgage than other loans. Also points are optional and rarely offered on other types of loans.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone else getting tons of timeouts trying to connect to the forums in the last few days?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What show is this from?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bakalakadaka posted:

So cancel my Prime subscription and pay extra if I expect something that won't fit in the mailbox? :v:

If they deliver during your working hours, can you just add your work address as a shipping location? It gets to you, you know when it's delivered and you can go lock it in your car right away if you want.

Jewel Repetition posted:

What show is this from?

Cutthroat Kitchen

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
In my area. they deliver to those lockers inside 7-Elevens. They're open 24 hours and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. When I travel, I used to have stuff from Amazon delivered to my hotel, I'd go to great lengths to make sure it was delivered the same day I arrived so it'd be easily accessible, and without fail it would be in some boiler room in the basement and take no less than 73 phone calls to track it down and get it delivered. Now I have it sent to the nearest 7-Eleven, I get a 3 block walk out of it, and I score a slurpee out of the deal.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

FCKGW posted:

It's a poo poo ton more paperwork to close a mortgage than other loans. Also points are optional and rarely offered on other types of loans.

Let's not forget that most mortgage holders are responsible for the deed title's accuracy, which is quite simply not something you want to get involved with unless you have enough money that do not actually need to borrow any money to buy a house.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm looking for an English adjective that describes someone who is excessively happy, out of touch with how bad his circumstances or the state of the world is. Someone who is happy and optimistic through self-delusion. Any English wizards here?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kurzon posted:

I'm looking for an English adjective that describes someone who is excessively happy, out of touch with how bad his circumstances or the state of the world is. Someone who is happy and optimistic through self-delusion. Any English wizards here?

Blissful?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Blissful ignorance?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd describe them as living in a fool's paradise but I can't think of a single adjective.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't think there's a single-word descriptor. Naïvely optimistic also applies I guess?

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Panglossian?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dictionary.com suggests me "overblithe" might be an appropriate word, but I can't find a definition anywhere.

Now some miserable person could suggest "optimistic" as a word already has all these implications, so any synonym will do :v:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Blithe... sorta works? It's both happy and careless but it doesn't mean explicitly that the happiness is unwarranted. Sort of the same as smug.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ciaphas posted:

On to other things: a self-serve car wash opened across the street a month ago. Figure I'll go spend four or five bucks a wash there instead of 25+ at the local gas station wash, but I need my own drying towel(s). Any material or other recommendations I should look for?
Pick up a decent chamois and a nice big microfiber drying towel. I picked them up at advance auto because they usually have pretty decent coupons, I got both for under $20. I run over the whole car with the chamois and it gets it 95% dry, then I get everything else with the microfiber. Works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Tesseraction posted:

I don't think there's a single-word descriptor. Naïvely optimistic also applies I guess?
There is this game coming out called We Happy Few where people take this drug to make them forget unhappy things and think the world is a happy place. They live in bliss, but it is a chemical form of self-delusion, not ignorance or indoctrination. I want some adjectives to describe this. "Brainwashing" doesn't fit, brainwashing means something different and very specific.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 22, 2016