Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
This paper is extremely interesting, one of the more intriguing things I've read lately:

Climatic and environmental aspects of the Mongol withdrawal from Hungary in 1242 CE

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep25606

The most interesting argument it brings up, to me, (though one that comes from earlier scholarship) is that Ogedei's death was not the cause of the Tatar withdrawal of 1242.

Also before you get pre-mad Charly there is no mention of bows getting wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

hazzard, what--in as specific terms as possible--did they tell you

That pewter was put over the sharp tip to blunt it. I'm starting to think there's been a misunderstanding somewhere because when I used one, I thought the tip was folded over.

I'll post in the fencing thread next time I get more information about this, because this is off-topic and surely Danelli wouldn't do something so dangerous?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

That pewter was put over the sharp tip to blunt it. I'm starting to think there's been a misunderstanding somewhere because when I used one, I thought the tip was folded over.

I'll post in the fencing thread next time I get more information about this, because this is off-topic and surely Danelli wouldn't do something so dangerous?
the sword i've got from him is competent and well made, definitely among the best you could get for 500 euros. a guy who made a sword like that probably wouldn't use pewter as a blunt. also he's an italian who lives in england, not a ukranian.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

the solution (on the consumer end) is to never go out to eat, never go to parties, buy used clothing, and spend all your money on early modern weapons and gear

obviously

Makes me glad I specialized in battleships.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

counterpoint: i have a sword hung right above my bed by the baldric right now and as far as i know you don't

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Nobody reads the last post on a page

They don't?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Let's timeshare a battleship.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hazzard posted:

I do not do HEMA but watch videos about swords, I thought if you rolled the tip to blunt the point you did not need to put blunting things on the end. From what i understand, the rolled tips are safer in that there is nothing the tip of the sword can punch through during a stab.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

xthetenth posted:

They don't?

By and large no.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I do not do HEMA but watch videos about swords, I thought if you rolled the tip to blunt the point you did not need to put blunting things on the end. From what i understand, the rolled tips are safer in that there is nothing the tip of the sword can punch through during a stab.

The human body is extremely squishy and while this is true 99.999% of the time there's always that one idiot who gets killed.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

By and large no.

The human body is extremely squishy and while this is true 99.999% of the time there's always that one idiot who gets killed.

Also i meant the tip punching through the blunting apparatus, like a rubber or in this case pewter lump on the end. I worded that terribly.

Humans are super easy to stab so if it breaks or something you can still get hosed in an instant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also i meant the tip punching through the blunting apparatus, like a rubber or in this case pewter lump on the end. I worded that terribly.

Humans are super easy to stab so if it breaks or something you can still get hosed in an instant.

That did occur about 5 or 6 years ago during some Way of the Sword, this boffer combat game all the anime club nerds around the towns north of Orlando played.

The game included bows and crossbows, which fired real arrows with the heads removed and the tips covered in giant marshmallow-like heads of duct tape. At one game, a poorly made head broke off on impact and the broken shaft underneath stabbed into the player's chest.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yep. Sport fencing masks and jackets aren't just about keeping a blunt tip from hurting you, they're about keeping a broken blade from killing you.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This paper is extremely interesting, one of the more intriguing things I've read lately:

Climatic and environmental aspects of the Mongol withdrawal from Hungary in 1242 CE

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep25606

The most interesting argument it brings up, to me, (though one that comes from earlier scholarship) is that Ogedei's death was not the cause of the Tatar withdrawal of 1242.

Also before you get pre-mad Charly there is no mention of bows getting wet.

Sound the retreat!

Yes, the paper is interesting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

counterpoint: i have a sword hung right above my bed by the baldric right now and as far as i know you don't

No but I have a miniature rum barrel made from the teak decking of Admiral Jellicoe's flagship on my desk.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

Sound the retreat!

Yes, the paper is interesting.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

also for people who might not have thought about this, the more complex your hilt is the more time you will spend sanding and oiling the goddamned thing. Especially if you get rained on at any point.

This hilt terrifies me now:
http://arms-n-armor.com/rapier151.html

wouldn't they have servants for that?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

wouldn't they have servants for that?
i portray a random pikeman in Gustavus II Adolphus's army, my job in life is mostly to get shat on by circumstances

they would. i wouldn't.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 22, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

i portray a random pikeman in Gustavus II Adolphus's army, my job in life is mostly to get shat on by circumstances

they would. i wouldn't.

impress an undergrad into your service

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

impress an undergrad into your service
the good part would be i'd get to hit them if they don't do what i want, the bad part would be i'd have to see/talk to an undergrad

tough decision

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

the good part would be i'd get to hit them if they don't do what i want, the bad part would be i'd have to see/talk to an undergrad

tough decision

Why do you think your dudes were drunk all the time

You should get a Spanish undergrad, that way you can sigh at them for being uptight prudes while they try to water down your wine so you might be less of a incoherent drunk

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

Why do you think your dudes were drunk all the time

You should get a Spanish undergrad, that way you can sigh at them for being uptight prudes while they try to water down your wine so you might be less of a incoherent drunk
the last time i drank wine in any quantity at a reenactment i ended up in an argument about 17th century german politics with the guy who plays our captain, so this might be for the best

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Did you call him a Hundsvott?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

hunsvotti is a very mild word in today's finnish, kinda like 'little bugger' in english

funny how the meanings change

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
One of my fav stories from 17th century Sweden is a former soldier drinking with a goldsmith, and the soldier then wants to fight because he thinks the goldsmith is a coward. He also calls the goldsmith a hundsfot.

Goldsmith ends up beating the soldier to death with a bench. That's some WWE poo poo.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Ah well, back in the days, people didn't make everything out of lovely spruce. Hardwood settles the argument.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

No but I have a miniature rum barrel made from the teak decking of Admiral Jellicoe's flagship on my desk.

Is it full of rum?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

StashAugustine posted:

Is it full of rum?

Sadly no. It's made in the shape of a Royal Navy rum barrel, but it only really works for holding pens.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

no, but when he said that Gustavus Adolphus was protecting the freedom of the German princes I snapped "Yeah, to be Protestant!"

i knew i shouldn't be saying it when it was on the way out of my mouth, but enough :guinness: and there it went

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

no, but when he said that Gustavus Adolphus was protecting the freedom of the German princes I snapped "Yeah, to be Protestant!"

i knew i shouldn't be saying it when it was on the way out of my mouth, but enough :guinness: and there it went

Anyone with any investment in a Protestant/Catholic dispute is lying if they haven't got heated about it in an argument.

And Wedgwood put it perfectly:
"German Princes held the torch of liberty facing up to the Emperor and the sword of tyranny down to their subjects."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

Anyone with any investment in a Protestant/Catholic dispute is lying if they haven't got heated about it in an argument.

And Wedgwood put it perfectly:
"German Princes held the torch of liberty facing up to the Emperor and the sword of tyranny down to their subjects."
yeah, well, there are people who like breathing less than this dude likes the king of sweden (edit: or the regency after his death. also france.)

anyways, sword

the baldric and the scabbard are both handmade, but by different people. the scabbard doesn't quite fit so i tied a leather shoelace around the throat and it fits now

the chape. i told the guy to make it look crude, "like a village blacksmith made it for me or something"

the width of the blade in comparison with my hands

jauchecharly wanted a pic of the entire blade like...a year ago

the whole thing. it wasn't rotated when i uploaded it. the baldric and scabbard will both age to a sort of medium-brown.

everything is made of things that would have been available at the time, except the obviously machine-made sword, but hey it was 500 euros. one of the reasons I picked shagreen for the grip is i didn't want leather that was obviously tanned and dyed in the 21st century. the other reason is that the 1630s is right before shagreen is about to start super trending. the other other reason is i only like a few swordsmiths' wire grips and danelli is not one of them.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 23, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's gorgeous. :kimchi:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

It's gorgeous. :kimchi:
thank you.

the scabbard and baldric deliberately do not match the sword, if i had gotten something that was made to fit with the sword i think i would have gone with embroidered black cloth, something sleekly threatening to hang out on street corners with

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 22, 2016

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
I grew up being lied to by fantasy media that told me rapiers were only those really thin Spanish cup-hilted ones you see towards the end of the 17th century. But those 16th and early 17th century rapiers are so gorgeous. Sideswords look really stylish as well.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

yeah, well, there are people who like breathing less than this dude likes the king of sweden (edit: or the regency after his death. also france.)

anyways, sword

the baldric and the scabbard are both handmade, but by different people. the scabbard doesn't quite fit so i tied a leather shoelace around the throat and it fits now

the chape. i told the guy to make it look crude, "like a village blacksmith made it for me or something"

the width of the blade in comparison with my hands

jauchecharly wanted a pic of the entire blade like...a year ago

the whole thing. it wasn't rotated when i uploaded it. the baldric and scabbard will both age to a sort of medium-brown. made of things that would have been available at the time.

really nice!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

I grew up being lied to by fantasy media that told me rapiers were only those really thin Spanish cup-hilted ones you see towards the end of the 17th century. But those 16th and early 17th century rapiers are so gorgeous. Sideswords look really stylish as well.

don't go outside without one

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is it legal to go walking around with a sword on you in the US, or do you have to strap a gun to it for safety.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Here in Australia there's technically no law against it, but people tend to get Concerned and call the police. Causing a public disturbance with a weapon is quite serious.

This tends to be relaxed every year when a bunch of vikings roam around town with fire and axes. Not even joking, we do that for midwinter - our viking reenactors are top notch on period-appropriate kit and one of the few groups not infested with neonazis or cryptofascists (we're all hippies, so most of them are more inclined to go play dnd than to beat a foreigner) so they're one of our great prides for the midwinter festival. Which is surprising, as you'd think the English ancestry of most of the town's people would mean that a bunch of armed vikings drunkenly roaming the streets with flaming torches would trigger instinctive fear.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Loomer posted:

Which is surprising, as you'd think the English ancestry of most of the town's people would mean that a bunch of armed vikings drunkenly roaming the streets with flaming torches would trigger instinctive fear.

The technical definition for an Anglo-Saxon is a Viking who forgot how to raid and then got their poo poo pushed in by their country cousins.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kemper Boyd posted:

The technical definition for an Anglo-Saxon is a Viking who forgot how to raid and then got their poo poo pushed in by their country cousins.

Did Vikings and Anglo-Saxons call each other northern monkeys and southern poofs, please c/d

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
while i was looking through Hans U Franck for pictures of war crimes, i found this:

Check out the variety of swords here. Most of them are some sort of haudegen thing and their users obviously want to cut with them, but the dark-haired dude in the center has a rapier and he seems to be trying to go for a thrust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

HEY GAL posted:

while i was looking through Hans U Franck for pictures of war crimes, i found this:

Check out the variety of swords here. Most of them are some sort of haudegen thing and their users obviously want to cut with them, but the dark-haired dude in the center has a rapier and he seems to be trying to go for a thrust.

Is there somewhere on the web with them? I guess he saw them all actually happening at one time or another?

• Locked thread