Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WoodrowSkillson posted:

How big are the other schools? It's not like people are shocked when they see a Witcher, just distrustful. I did not read the books, but what I have always inferred is the school of the Wolf is dead but the other schools are still doing just fine as they are in places that operate similar to how the Wolf school did before the pogrom.

I think it varies - the Cat School is meant to be all but gone, I think, after it was discovered they were hiring themselves out as assassins and they then got dismantled. One of the motivations for Letho to be an agent of Nilfgaard was a promise to re-establish the School of the Viper so it's presumably not operating any more either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

How big are the other schools? It's not like people are shocked when they see a Witcher, just distrustful. I did not read the books, but what I have always inferred is the school of the Wolf is dead but the other schools are still doing just fine as they are in places that operate similar to how the Wolf school did before the pogrom.
I don't think they're as badly off but they're definitely on hard times. Cat school have become assassins to survive, Viper school looking for protection led to them becoming the king killers in Witcher 2, etc. From what Vesemir says in 3, the secrets of the mutations seems to be a totally lost art, so it's hard to tell if any new Witchers can actually be made.

Generally the world seems to moving off past the need for Witchers, Regis mentions that people in Nilfgaard don't believe in vampires and monsters any more. I guess that works for your standard griffin/drowner/etc brute-force monster where you just need to hit it really hard until it goes away, but I do wonder what they do about curses and stuff.

edit: dammit

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Generally the world seems to moving off past the need for Witchers, Regis mentions that people in Nilfgaard don't believe in vampires and monsters any more. I guess that works for your standard griffin/drowner/etc brute-force monster where you just need to hit it really hard until it goes away, but I do wonder what they do about curses and stuff.

edit: dammit

Guess mages can probably deal with most of it, since they are still major parts of society in most places. A mage with a bunch of dudes in plate armor probably can handle any monster a witcher would, especially if you gave the dudes silver weapons. And they seem to know plenty about curses and such.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hackan Slash posted:

Concerning Orianna, do you ever get to go after her? It seemed like that was the fight in the trailer, and would have been a nice epilogue quest. She could have used a good stabbing, after going to her orphanage.

You encounter her if you go after the Unseen One, but there's no fight, Geralt just does one of those "I'm going to kill you later" deals, which is what the trailer fight is. Basically, one of the first things we saw of the game ends up taking place after the actual game

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So in the end, I ran around, did a bunch of AoIs (like 75% of them) and ran back to grandmaster whomever when I had all the ore I needed.

Even with all the ore, it definitely cost 15-20K to make the full set of GM Griffon. You save a shitton by being able to make the slyzard hides and enriched whatevers yourself. It still costs a boatload though to make a enriched dimeritium plate and lol of course you need a bunch of those.

I also picked up about 20k worth of swords to sell clearing out a bunch of AoIs so that helped too.

I treat vidya game money too much like real money.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Whew, finally found the drat dye guy, and holy hell, those things are pricey. I gotta find some cash flow. Everyone post pictures of your fanciest dyed Witcher armor.

Also, why is it so damned expensive to dismantle items? 989 crows to dismantle a sword seems wrong.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 22, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I just finished the prologue, really enjoying the game. I've never played a Witcher game and am playing on death march. Any general tips?

I've cranked my auto-saves to every 3 minutes since death comes quickly if I don't play smart. Do I save all crafting materials or only bother hanging on to ____, selling the rest since money seems tight? Any must-use signs, pots, skills? No auto-health regen out of combat is annoying, but I wasted spent a skill point on the "food regen lasts 20 minutes" perk under the impression there is a respec option somewhere down the road.

Any spoiler-light save point recommendations for big decisions? Take the money/don't take the money, bow/don't bow quick-time decisions GET ME GOING, but apparently the series can be a real slow burn when it comes to consequences so I don't know how often I'll get to reload and try option B.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm not sure, but I think in the books Kaer Morhen as a fortress may precede its use by the wolf school. There are seashells in the walls of the keep, and the translation of its name suggests that it used to be right along a coast line.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

No Yen that wasn't just rotten flesh, rotten flesh doesn't beg, doesn't weep and doesn't scream in torment, what the gently caress :stare:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Be pretty funny if the reason the wolf school got a huge castle in the middle of nowhere is that nobody else wanted it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

poor life choice posted:

I just finished the prologue, really enjoying the game. I've never played a Witcher game and am playing on death march. Any general tips?

I've cranked my auto-saves to every 3 minutes since death comes quickly if I don't play smart. Do I save all crafting materials or only bother hanging on to ____, selling the rest since money seems tight? Any must-use signs, pots, skills? No auto-health regen out of combat is annoying, but I wasted spent a skill point on the "food regen lasts 20 minutes" perk under the impression there is a respec option somewhere down the road.

Any spoiler-light save point recommendations for big decisions? Take the money/don't take the money, bow/don't bow quick-time decisions GET ME GOING, but apparently the series can be a real slow burn when it comes to consequences so I don't know how often I'll get to reload and try option B.

Save most crafting materials, they do not weigh anything and save you more money than they are worth when used to craft stuff. On Death March, level up Quen as the alt version (hold down the button) is a bubble shield that heals you. You can respec by buying a potion for 5k from a few vendors, you'll come into more money later when that matters. 1-5 points misplaced really is not a giant issue at all since you can only have so many active at once anyway.

Biggest light spoiler is say you saved letho when asked. After that, if you are not planning on multiple playthroughs, there are decisions involving Ciri you need to consider for the endings. Do NOT shove a man, even if he deserves it. And save before you confront a woman about some documents, there is 1 good outcome there and 2 very bad ones that can be avoided just with dialogue in the one scene. For the most part auto saves will handle this.

Everything else is either slow burn enough you are not gonna re-do it, or one result is not "better" than the other in terms of locking you out of something really cool or important.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Toiwat posted:

No Yen that wasn't just rotten flesh, rotten flesh doesn't beg, doesn't weep and doesn't scream in torment, what the gently caress :stare:

Yen literally will move heaven and earth to find her daughter.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Toiwat posted:

Yen rules

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Save most crafting materials, they do not weigh anything and save you more money than they are worth when used to craft stuff. On Death March, level up Quen as the alt version (hold down the button) is a bubble shield that heals you. You can respec by buying a potion for 5k from a few vendors, you'll come into more money later when that matters. 1-5 points misplaced really is not a giant issue at all since you can only have so many active at once anyway.

Biggest light spoiler is say you saved letho when asked. After that, if you are not planning on multiple playthroughs, there are decisions involving Ciri you need to consider for the endings. Do NOT shove a man, even if he deserves it. And save before you confront a woman about some documents, there is 1 good outcome there and 2 very bad ones that can be avoided just with dialogue in the one scene. For the most part auto saves will handle this.

Everything else is either slow burn enough you are not gonna re-do it, or one result is not "better" than the other in terms of locking you out of something really cool or important.

Thanks!

Is Delusion (Axii skill tree) worth it? Typically I'm a fan of max rank in persuade or whatever the analogous skill is in RPGs, but with limited active slots I wasn't sure if it was a slam dunk. Having said that, it kind of trivialized some random gently caress-off bear and a wraith in the basement of a church in the starting area, so it might be worth it just for the 1v1 combat angle.

Should I buy every potion/oil/decoction/crafting formula a merchant has available?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

poor life choice posted:

Thanks!

Is Delusion (Axii skill tree) worth it? Typically I'm a fan of max rank in persuade or whatever the analogous skill is in RPGs, but with limited active slots I wasn't sure if it was a slam dunk. Having said that, it kind of trivialized some random gently caress-off bear and a wraith in the basement of a church in the starting area, so it might be worth it just for the 1v1 combat angle.

Should I buy every potion/oil/decoction/crafting formula a merchant has available?

Delusion is definitely worthwhile. Don't worry too much about formulae - you'll find a bunch of them just in the course of your exploration/questing. Occasionally you may have to buy alchemical formulae but definitely don't bother with standard crafting diagrams, they're not worth it at all.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Someone asked earlier and I didn't see a response regarding stuff in your house and NG+, I just started and it looks like anything not in your stash box is gone forever :(

Or at least until you sigh heavily, strip your house bare and start NG+ all over again.

M31
Jun 12, 2012

poor life choice posted:

Thanks!

You should probably buy every potion/oil, or you'll end up with every superior recipe there is but not the basic ones. Also, buy all items with exclamation marks (quest items) to save yourself some back tracking.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

poor life choice posted:

Thanks!

Yes, Axii is great, and there's no reason not to buy every formula you see, you'll want them all eventually. I think Alchemy stuff in general doesn't weigh anything, so just buy that when you have the funds.

As far as slots go, I got a mod that makes all skills active since I disagree with limited slot systems but I understand if you don't want to do that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

Be pretty funny if the reason the wolf school got a huge castle in the middle of nowhere is that nobody else wanted it.

It's weird. Kaer Morhen is deep in Kaedwen, almost to the border with Kovir/Poviss, and yet Geralt can make it from Vizima to the fortress in a week of riding, and it seems fairly open.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Europe is a lot smaller than America. Riding from Krakow to Tallinn is probably like riding from Philadelphia to Boston in a week. And the author is European.

Texas is larger than any European country*, only four European countries are larger than Montana, and Poland is the size of New Mexico.

*not counting countries only partly within Europe

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 22, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

Occasionally you may have to buy alchemical formulae but definitely don't bother with standard crafting diagrams, they're not worth it at all.

M31 posted:

You should probably buy every potion/oil, or you'll end up with every superior recipe there is but not the basic ones. Also, buy all items with exclamation marks (quest items) to save yourself some back tracking.

Good to keep in mind, thanks. Re: quest items, are you saying there are unique quest items in shops, or sometimes there are "collect 10 bear asses" type fetch quests and you should just scoop up the generic items when you see them?

wiegieman posted:

Yes, Axii is great, and there's no reason not to buy every formula you see, you'll want them all eventually. I think Alchemy stuff in general doesn't weigh anything, so just buy that when you have the funds.

As far as slots go, I got a mod that makes all skills active since I disagree with limited slot systems but I understand if you don't want to do that.

I'm playing on the PS4 so no mods unfortunately. I think my only complaint is that the inventory is a little sluggish, but apparently inventory management has come a long way so I won't complain.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I've been looking at the Witcher through a political lens lately and I can deffo see how the Witcher can be some right wing polemic. The monsters are from other worlds when the conjunction happened right? Monsters = immigrants, right off the bat

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Phi230 posted:

So I've been looking at the Witcher through a political lens lately and I can deffo see how the Witcher can be some right wing polemic. The monsters are from other worlds when the conjunction happened right? Monsters = immigrants, right off the bat

Humans are explicitly immigrants to this world.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Phi230 posted:

lol

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Humans are explicitly immigrants to this world.

ok ok let me change it up

the only non white person in the game takes you hostage and is a bad guy

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Phi230 posted:

drowners represent the parasitic liberal voting base, gorging themselves on the hard-working native son

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Phi230 posted:

:laffo: go back to dnd

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Phi230 posted:

Is... is this real? :ohdear:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Phi230 posted:

Immigrants don't normally eat people/corpses.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Fist posted:

Is... is this real? :ohdear:

the gratuitous butt shot of yen in the opening of the game is :goonsay:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i haven't read the books but it does seem like there is a bit of political/historical undertone in the sense that the main area for Witcher 3 seems like it is being fought over between the Holy Roman Empire (Nilfgaard) and a hodgepodge of Polish-Lithuanian precursor kingdoms (Northern Kingdoms) at least based on the colors/symbols and the accent of the Nilfgaardians. and the Free City of Novigrad kind of like the Free City of Danzig. except with monsters and elves and poo poo thrown in.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Phi230 posted:

Oh this doesn't get any argument really... some of the sex scenes are pretty cringeworthy and totally worthy of eye rolling.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I'm the video where conan O'Brian mistakes Gerald's muscley man gams for a woman.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm the video where conan O'Brian mistakes Gerald's muscley man gams for a woman.

Geralt has super dainty feet for a guy who lives the life he does.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I still think they should reboot the series for the 1930s. Gerald Durywka, P.I.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Fist posted:

Oh this doesn't get any argument really... some of the sex scenes are pretty cringeworthy and totally worthy of eye rolling.

I was joking about the Witcher politics poo poo but for real I cannot wait until Kingdom Come: Deliverance comes out and is actually "immigrants, trannies, and the EU must die" in a totally non-subtle hamfisted way.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's a good way to get and have money? I've always been terrible at that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

What's a good way to get and have money? I've always been terrible at that.

Loot literally everything and sell it. I'm lvl 22 and I consistently hover around 20k at any given time.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Lareine posted:

Dettlaff can suck my dick. gently caress him and his goddamned bats.

A bit late, but that attack is trivial to avoid with the lock-on targeting. Once it looks like he's going to use it, just lock on and keep running to the side at a respectable distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ice Fist posted:

I mean, you literally don't have to have sex with any of the characters at all during the game. At least I'm fairly sure of that, I haven't technically finished B&W yet.

You can rebuff all four of the characters, as far as I remember.