Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Respect one's superiors. :smugdog:

When I'm trash talking someone, I find it better to call myself one of the pubbie's "betters" because let's be honest, I'm significantly better than almost anyone on the playerbase as both a player and a human being, and I want to let them know that. For instance - I always open up on Pilsen in allchat, imploring BOTH teams to go west and to ignore the useless east, because even if you get through the east, past the arti killzone and hulldown poo poo and shots from mid, the enemy base is 400 meters of barren killzone where hulldown tanks in the west can lay waste to you. When the enemy team inevitable goes east and gets easily crushed, I'll always end the battle by reminding them that I told them how to win the game in allchat at the start of the match, and that they should learn from their betters.

it gets some good reactions and postbattle chats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Arty has to get the permission of (one of) the top three damage dealers currently alive before firing, like getting clearance from an officer. If the top three damage dealers die, no arty can fire until someone else attains the damage dealt by the third-best damage dealer.

44% Jpz100 camping base says hi.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cardiac posted:

People who stay in base too long become blue after a bit. People get bonus XP when killing your own basecampers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cardiac posted:

All the better, the JPz100 won't let the Arty fire at all because it means less potential damage for him.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

All the better, the JPz100 won't let the Arty fire at all because it means less potential damage for him.

Genius balancing.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I played the bad game and I had fun.

Specifically by a pushing an IS-6 up against a wall until it flipped and I could get the finishing shot through his turret roof.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

A Handed Missus posted:

I played the bad game and I had fun.

Specifically by a pushing an IS-6 up against a wall until it flipped and I could get the finishing shot through his turret roof.

This is the death that every IS-6 deserves.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Arty has to get the permission of (one of) the top three damage dealers currently alive before firing, like getting clearance from an officer. If the top three damage dealers die, no arty can fire until someone else attains the damage dealt by the third-best damage dealer.

I can get behind this, except every single request for artillery needs to be formatted as a proper, NATO-standard CFF, with every single detail of information, including warning, target description, engagement grid and whatnot, and then read back by the arty player before they may fire. If there's a single error in the call, the arty player may not fire and has to inform the requesting player to repeat the call error-free. (This should work out nicely and relax all players involved)

If the grid artillery is called onto has one or more friendly players within, or in adjacent grids, the player making the call needs to be informed by the arty-player that this fire mission would be "DANGER CLOSE" (needs to be said in disbelief), which then requires the player making the call melodramatically saying in all caps, that "YES, GODDAMNIT, I KNOW THOSE ARE MY COORDINATES!".

If any of these conditions are not fulfilled, artillery may not fire.

/edit
There, pretty sure I fixed the game

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

When I'm trash talking someone, I find it better to call myself one of the pubbie's "betters" because let's be honest, I'm significantly better than almost anyone on the playerbase as both a player and a human being, and I want to let them know that. For instance - I always open up on Pilsen in allchat, imploring BOTH teams to go west and to ignore the useless east, because even if you get through the east, past the arti killzone and hulldown poo poo and shots from mid, the enemy base is 400 meters of barren killzone where hulldown tanks in the west can lay waste to you. When the enemy team inevitable goes east and gets easily crushed, I'll always end the battle by reminding them that I told them how to win the game in allchat at the start of the match, and that they should learn from their betters.

it gets some good reactions and postbattle chats.

I saw Hellsau do this on different map and I asked him, "if that's the way to win, why are you telling them?" And he said something like, "shitters always do the opposite." And he was right!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I can get behind this, except every single request for artillery needs to be formatted as a proper, NATO-standard CFF, with every single detail of information, including warning, target description, engagement grid and whatnot, and then read back by the arty player before they may fire. If there's a single error in the call, the arty player may not fire and has to inform the requesting player to repeat the call error-free. (This should work out nicely and relax all players involved)

If the grid artillery is called onto has one or more friendly players within, or in adjacent grids, the player making the call needs to be informed by the arty-player that this fire mission would be "DANGER CLOSE" (needs to be said in disbelief), which then requires the player making the call melodramatically saying in all caps, that "YES, GODDAMNIT, I KNOW THOSE ARE MY COORDINATES!".

If any of these conditions are not fulfilled, artillery may not fire.

/edit
There, pretty sure I fixed the game

This, and arty has zero visibility of the battlefield. Nothing, whatsoever. Just the inside of their SPG. The coordinates get radioed in by the FO/Scout tank for a fire mission. Once they fire off a few rounds then the FO adjusts the coordinates until we are on target. Fire for effect.

Although in the meantime every single enemy tank has moved on a few minutes prior.

You can have my arty when you pry it from my cold dead hands holding my HE shells.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Or, even better, bring back the original BF1942 artillery system. Only light tanks may scout for artillery using a specialized sighting system that can only be used while the light tank is locked in place for a few seconds, and afterwards the artillery has to manually zero in on those coordinates using a convoluted bracketing system.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

NotWearingPants posted:

I saw Hellsau do this on different map and I asked him, "if that's the way to win, why are you telling them?" And he said something like, "shitters always do the opposite." And he was right!

If a player is poo poo, he'll never admit (to being bad/wrong)! And they really don't like being told what to do. So odds are they'll do the opposite, out of spite. Just to make sure you know how dumb they really are.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

Valle posted:

If a player is poo poo, he'll never admit (to being bad/wrong)! And they really don't like being told what to do. So odds are they'll do the opposite, out of spite. Just to make sure you know how dumb they really are.

The really sick part is that I'm pretty sure Cafone asked that and I even responded before before the match started. The shitters still did the opposite of my advice and they got crushed! And yet they never loving learn from their mistakes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Please don't shitter shame

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This, and arty has zero visibility of the battlefield. Nothing, whatsoever. Just the inside of their SPG. The coordinates get radioed in by the FO/Scout tank for a fire mission. Once they fire off a few rounds then the FO adjusts the coordinates until we are on target. Fire for effect.

Although in the meantime every single enemy tank has moved on a few minutes prior.

You can have my arty when you pry it from my cold dead hands holding my HE shells.

Oh, and after the match, the arty player has to fill out a bunch of reports justifying property damage for fire missions not on target, depletion of ammo, requisitioning of new rounds, evaluations of their crew's performance, why they got drunk and beat a bunch of locals in a bar, etc.

You know...realism. :)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, and after the match, the arty player has to fill out a bunch of reports justifying property damage for fire missions not on target...

This is already what roughly 90% of my post-battle messages are about.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I thought it would have been neat if the SPG wasn't an actual unit on the map, but was actually off map. The player controlled a armored car/light tank that would then call in the strikes. Since the spgs were off map, you would control a battery of 3 guns. When they would fire, the number of shells they would fire would be determined by tier and caliber. So something like a S-51 would fire 3 times during its salvo, but would land its shells over a larger area. While waiting for guns to recharge, the player could also request smoke or something like a flare to spot an area.

Then the game could have something like a Katushya barrage with a large number of low damage rockets, but they'd force people to get into strong cover or pull back, but you'd have a long rear end reload on them. Or a player has a mechanized mortar squad and you can get large number of shots that are coming in straight down, but are generally ineffective to anything with decent roof armor.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I was going to go for the batchat and I have gotten up to the Lorraine 40 t, but now I guess it's going to get nerfed so should I just say gently caress it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

I was going to go for the batchat and I have gotten up to the Lorraine 40 t, but now I guess it's going to get nerfed so should I just say gently caress it?

Don't assume they're going to go live with anything that's currently on the Sandbox. If anything, unlock the BC25t and wait for another On Track event for it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, there is practically zero chance the current sandbox changes will make it to live.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Sandbox version of the Batchat is worse than the 9.15 version of the 1390. I suspect that won't be how it ends up.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
obj 268 on track...

Plus side is now I can get one at discount, neg is I've had it unlocked for months. Wish it were the 263 on track because some of those td's are bad in that line and I want to get through them quick.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

CitizenKain posted:

I thought it would have been neat if the SPG wasn't an actual unit on the map, but was actually off map. The player controlled a armored car/light tank that would then call in the strikes. Since the spgs were off map, you would control a battery of 3 guns.

Minor problem: at higher tiers, each of the three offscreen guns could fire three shells and have all nine hit at the same time in the same general area. Realistic arty is straight-up an Old Testament "smote by God" sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TBl9cwanbI

There's your three-gun battery not firing multiple salvos as they crank the elevation down. Which would be fuckin' hilarious, but not so great from a game-balance standpoint.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

The Sandbox version of the Batchat is worse than the 9.15 version of the 1390. I suspect that won't be how it ends up.

What happened to the 13 90 in 9.15? I didn't see anything in the patch notes...

...of course I'm like 10k xp from getting it.

Edit: vv Oh yeah I realized after 3 games to ignore it. They managed to buff arty's critical importance and people are just doing gently caress all to test how realistic the changes are. Plus medium tanks are loving blind as poo poo and light tanks have super high viewrange so the adjustment is just...weird. The changes just don't sync well.

loving Wargaming.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 22, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ramsus posted:

obj 268 on track...

Plus side is now I can get one at discount, neg is I've had it unlocked for months. Wish it were the 263 on track because some of those td's are bad in that line and I want to get through them quick.

The 268 is worse than the 704. I wouldn't bother wasting credits on it.

Blindeye posted:

What happened to the 13 90 in 9.15? I didn't see anything in the patch notes...

...of course I'm like 10k xp from getting it.

The 1390 is fine. The Batchat on the Sandbox is slower than the 1390 (the 1390 isn't exactly nimble) and I believe has a worse gun given the terrible mobility. The Sandbox is basically worthless as it stands, so just ignore everything coming from it.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Hellsau posted:

The 268 is worse than the 704. I wouldn't bother wasting credits on it.

The 1390 is fine. The Batchat on the Sandbox is slower than the 1390 (the 1390 isn't exactly nimble) and I believe has a worse gun given the terrible mobility. The Sandbox is basically worthless as it stands, so just ignore everything coming from it.

I'm going to get all t10's good or bad.

Just had a decent game in the wz 111 1-4.
http://wotreplays.com/site/2770654#airfield-baron_ramsus_vanderkaum-wz-111_model_1-4

The enemy kept bouncing me for some reason.

e. lol that start where i get tracked and wait to get shot again before repairing, amazing tactical gameplay

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 22, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

How good am I? I haven't played in a month, and yet my winrate is apparently improving:

drat i'm good

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The WZ-111 is probably my favorite tier 9, that tank is awesome.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

The WZ-111 is probably my favorite tier 9, that tank is awesome.

It's an IS-8 with a bigger gun! And apparently armor but I never noticed any on it.

The IS-8 and WZ-111 1-4 really benefit from #snapshotmeta, just casually spewing off shots on the move at 400 meters and striking home makes that kind of heavium play work.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
So I've been playing a lot of this wonderful, terrible loving game.

As in, 1000 battles in well under a month, a lot. God drat this is a fun game sometimes. I'm also incredibly loving bad at it, but that's okay, because I get the sense that up until I got my Sherman all the tanks I've been playing have been incredibly loving bad too. I also wrote up a huge loving rant about how many things this game gets wrong that Warships gets right, but I'll spare posting it for the sake of everyone involved.

Basically, I'd like to get better while I'm still playing this thing and I'd always love to have more people to hang with while I do incredibly stupid and aggro poo poo with my medium tanks and troll ragers by being polite and pleasant.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Redeye Flight posted:

So I've been playing a lot of this wonderful, terrible loving game.

As in, 1000 battles in well under a month, a lot. God drat this is a fun game sometimes. I'm also incredibly loving bad at it, but that's okay, because I get the sense that up until I got my Sherman all the tanks I've been playing have been incredibly loving bad too. I also wrote up a huge loving rant about how many things this game gets wrong that Warships gets right, but I'll spare posting it for the sake of everyone involved.

Basically, I'd like to get better while I'm still playing this thing and I'd always love to have more people to hang with while I do incredibly stupid and aggro poo poo with my medium tanks and troll ragers by being polite and pleasant.

What, 1k games already and you don't have a T10 yet?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I have no idea if you're joking or not. I'm real fuckin' bad so that's probably why if you're not. I find making money in this game to be immensely harder than it is in Warships.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Redeye Flight posted:

I have no idea if you're joking or not. I'm real fuckin' bad so that's probably why if you're not. I find making money in this game to be immensely harder than it is in Warships.

Yeah I am joking. No worries mate.
Besides, T10 is a boring shitshow anyway.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

What, 1k games already and you don't have a T10 yet?

Average number of games to reach tier10 is ~2.5k for the average player.
Well, unless you are a statpadder going directly for your tier10 USSR medium.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Cardiac posted:

Almost 10k games and no tier 10s. 1 tier 9 and a fuckload of tier 8s though!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cardiac posted:

I got my AMX 50B with like 1.2k games.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
God I hate the type 59. Using it to train a crew right now and every shot flies to the outside of the reticle. Also it can't drive in rough terrain at all. If you get one of these turds stay out of grass and shallow water...and don't climb hills or fight mod 1's.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Almost 10k games and no tier 10s. 1 tier 9 and a fuckload of tier 8s though!

Michaellaneous posted:

I got my AMX 50B with like 1.2k games.

Averages are apparently hard.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Cardiac posted:

Averages are apparently hard.

why are you so autistic and angry all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ramsus posted:

why are you so autistic and angry all the time

Something Awful -> Games -> World of Tanks: why are you so autistic and angry all the time