Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Too bad it's a google product and they'll randomly decide to shut the service down after 18 months and roll the functionality into an inferior monetized version.

It's already monetized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Is there any way to prioritize networks? There are several wifi networks at work, and the strongest one is the internal (no internet access) network. I need to connect to that occasionally, but normally just want the 'public' wifi with internet network. Without fail I have to manually reconnect to the public network. I'd just delete the secure network, but I don't want to have to remember the goddawful passcode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did the online storage get bumped to 100k from 25k after? I could probably trim my crap and get down to that, but it's still annoying it can't support my library being over that size. Just let me tag stuff I'm happy to not have online.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Khablam posted:

This is a dumb argument. Only around 60% of my music is on Spotify and the few artists I used to use it for have at times pulled their music.

I don't know why anyone would suggest re-purchasing music they already have through a streaming service as a solution. If you want the cloud~~~ to answer your syncing woes use Google Play.
I'm also not sure how people find ticking a few boxes and pressing sync so difficult. This isn't complicated or difficult in any way. How are people getting it wrong?

I understand with Spotify that is a concern, with Music I can't recall anyone ever pulling their music from the service. Maybe it will happen in the future but so far so good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Did the online storage get bumped to 100k from 25k after? I could probably trim my crap and get down to that, but it's still annoying it can't support my library being over that size. Just let me tag stuff I'm happy to not have online.

At the iOS 9 WWDC reveal they said the limit would be bumped to 100k when it launched. I have no idea if they actually went through with it since I'm not even near 25k of my own songs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah the upload limit changed to 100K in either September or October.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

porktree posted:

Is there any way to prioritize networks? There are several wifi networks at work, and the strongest one is the internal (no internet access) network. I need to connect to that occasionally, but normally just want the 'public' wifi with internet network. Without fail I have to manually reconnect to the public network. I'd just delete the secure network, but I don't want to have to remember the goddawful passcode.

Not that I've ever been able to find.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Does LastPass work without internet access on the iPhone? If so just put the wifi password in LastPass, then you can delete it and connect to it when needed, you should be able to copy/paste the pass fairly easily.

Could be wrong but just an idea.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kalman posted:

Not that I've ever been able to find.
I'm fairly certain if you have a Mac, you can choose priority of known networks there (which will be the same as your iOS devices if you have iCloud Keychain on), and iOS devices will respect that.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Minidust posted:

Google Play + Windows iTunes is a pretty great combo for listening to your own music. There's a desktop app that uploads/matches your full iTunes library into Google Play (up to 50,000 tracks) so it's all available for streaming in the phone app, alongside the usual Pandora-type stations. The desktop app even adds new music to Google Play when you add it to iTunes; it's not just a one-time dump.

I still keep a small "car ride" playlist on my phone through regular iTunes sync, but Google Play has effectively replaced my iPod Classic, which could only fit my library after converting down to 128kpbs (Play is still lossy but at 320kpbs, if you care about that sort of thing). Been using it for most of 2016 and I'm shocked at how good it is for a free service.

I've been doing this exact setup for a couple years now. I ripped all of my old CDs into iTunes and they let the PC Google Play app do it's thing. Anytime I buy a new song on iTunes it automatically uploads out to Google Play. I have playlists in iTunes I use for some stuff, but I also set a bunch of up Google Play. Makes it super easy to stream any of my personal music.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

I'm fairly certain if you have a Mac, you can choose priority of known networks there (which will be the same as your iOS devices if you have iCloud Keychain on), and iOS devices will respect that.

Even if I had a Mac, I wouldn't have it at work. It seems like a weird omission, but I guess I'll live with it. Thanks.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

porktree posted:

Even if I had a Mac, I wouldn't have it at work. It seems like a weird omission, but I guess I'll live with it. Thanks.
It's probably my most wanted feature on an iPhone. Stuff like Optimum WiFi is great, but I can't tell you how many times I've had to manually select a different network because A) a given app doesn't play nice with a public hotspot, or B) I'm actually at home.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

porktree posted:

Not that it matters, but no, that's not what I mean. Even if you've never connected your Mac to a specific network, it gets the credentials from your iPhone via iCloud Keychain and the networks can be arranged on it regardless.

I'm pretty sure, anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EDIT: Double post

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Not that it matters, but no, that's not what I mean. Even if you've never connected your Mac to a specific network, it gets the credentials from your iPhone via iCloud Keychain and the networks can be arranged on it regardless.

I'm pretty sure, anyway.

Makes sense. I have an old Wallstreet G3 that still boots into OS 9 - maybe that'd work... :banjo:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Shillary posted:

I understand with Spotify that is a concern, with Music I can't recall anyone ever pulling their music from the service. Maybe it will happen in the future but so far so good.

Contract deals are fluid. It doesn't happen often but it does happen sometime - Prince comes to mind as he pulled all of his stuff in favor of Tidal streaming exclusive. Spotify has a contentious label relationship to say the least so you tend to hear about it more. iTunes is also still chugging along happily so you usually still have the option of buying the album outright too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My girlfriend texted me this morning saying her iPhone deactivated itself overnight. I questioned her on what she meant, and she said that she woke up late because her alarm didnt go off. She then noticed that her phone was deactivated, and nothing would work (email, imessage etc) until she activated it again. I asked her if it seemed like it factory reset itself, and she said no because when she activated it, everything was there intact and started working again.

Does anybody know what happened? Google keep talking about jailbroken phones, but hers is totally stock.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also apparently I guess new Apple Music will have discover esque spotify playlists? Or a rumour

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Weedle posted:

If I had a bunch of MP3s I wanted to keep in the cloud, I'd switch from Spotify to Apple Music in a second.

I've still got a student discount from grad school, so I decided to sign up for Apple Music for a month and compare them. My guess is that I'll end up keeping Apple Music just because I can keep everything in one spot. Plus with them adding their own Discover-style playlists in iOS 10, there's nothing Spotify really has on them.

Google Music would be another option for keeping my normal files, but that's not actually available in Korea.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
The only bad thing I've heard about Apple Music is that it's impossible to browse a genre that isn't on the drop down list. A friend of mine was trying to figure out how to browse J-Pop, which does show up as a genre if you click on a J-Pop album, but there's no way to do it. You can't click on the word, you can't search for it (it gives you the curated page, which isn't what she's looking for, and a bunch of unrelated albums). She just wanted a list of albums of that genre and she can't find it. She couldn't find folk or celtic music either, again she can search for those words but she gets a partial list of albums at best, and on that list it's like mostly stuff that has the words in the song/album name rather than stuff of that particular genre.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh it's also infuriating that they call Classic Rock "Oldies" and thta includes things like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc. gently caress off Apple.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Upgrading to a Steve Edition from my 5S, just want to make sure I'm doing it right. Gifting my unlocked 5S to my Mum cause her current Huwai Android phone is just garbage.

1. Perform wired backup through iTunes

2. Wipe and reset the handset (General > Reset > Erase all content and settings?). Remove it from Find my iPhone.

3. Swap Sims.

4. Restore my backup to the new iPhone

Do I have it right? Anything I missed? I assume I don't need to worry about iMessage cause the SIM is the same and I'm swapping to an iPhone.

If I want to back up all the apps on my phone to my PC, how do I do that? The chat earlier mentioned apps are no longer included in wired backups and I recall when I activated my 5S redownloading all the apps was kind of a pain, it'd be nice to get them at the same time I'm re-adding all my music to my iPhone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My girlfriend texted me this morning saying her iPhone deactivated itself overnight. I questioned her on what she meant, and she said that she woke up late because her alarm didnt go off. She then noticed that her phone was deactivated, and nothing would work (email, imessage etc) until she activated it again. I asked her if it seemed like it factory reset itself, and she said no because when she activated it, everything was there intact and started working again.

Does anybody know what happened? Google keep talking about jailbroken phones, but hers is totally stock.

Where did you buy it?
Sounds like a stolen phone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If "until she activated it again" means she had to enter her Apple ID information again before she could access the phone again it likely updated itself overnight and needed to reauthorize her Apple credentials, as firmware updates will occasionally trigger.

edit: she would have needed to explicitly give iOS permission to do that earlier in the day though, so it shouldn't have been a surprise. Without actually knowing what "deactivated itself" means, it's hard to say for sure what happened.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 22, 2016

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Snuffman posted:

Upgrading to a Steve Edition from my 5S, just want to make sure I'm doing it right. Gifting my unlocked 5S to my Mum cause her current Huwai Android phone is just garbage.

1. Perform wired backup through iTunes

2. Wipe and reset the handset (General > Reset > Erase all content and settings?). Remove it from Find my iPhone.

3. Swap Sims.

4. Restore my backup to the new iPhone

Do I have it right? Anything I missed? I assume I don't need to worry about iMessage cause the SIM is the same and I'm swapping to an iPhone.

If I want to back up all the apps on my phone to my PC, how do I do that? The chat earlier mentioned apps are no longer included in wired backups and I recall when I activated my 5S redownloading all the apps was kind of a pain, it'd be nice to get them at the same time I'm re-adding all my music to my iPhone.

Before you wipe, log out of icloud, message, the app store, etc. Also, if you added the device to your online support profile at apple, don't forget to remove it! https://supportprofile.apple.com

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Where did you buy it?
Sounds like a stolen phone.

She got it from Verizon in February 2015, so I think we can rule that out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If "until she activated it again" means she had to enter her Apple ID information again before she could access the phone again it likely updated itself overnight and needed to reauthorize her Apple credentials, as firmware updates will occasionally trigger.

edit: she would have needed to explicitly give iOS permission to do that earlier in the day though, so it shouldn't have been a surprise. Without actually knowing what "deactivated itself" means, it's hard to say for sure what happened.

Interesting, I'll have to ask her tomorrow when I see her what exactly happened. This sounds like a likely scenario. Would an OS update disable alarms that have been set, though?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Would an OS update disable alarms that have been set, though?
I've never had an alarm scheduled to go off while my phone is sitting at the "Hello" screen after an OS update, but I have to imagine you won't have access to the device or apps until you finish the setup process. The alarm likely wasn't disabled per se, but I don't think you can get any sort of notifications while it's at that "Hello" screen.

Maybe someone who's actually tried the "Install Tonight" iOS update option with an alarm set can chime in if their alarm still went off the next day, but something tells me that'll probably disrupt alarms going off.

edit: Googling for "iOS install tonight alarm" gets a lot of promising results:

http://gawker.com/apples-newest-software-update-will-shut-off-your-iphone-1739207287

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 22, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Abu Dave posted:

Oh it's also infuriating that they call Classic Rock "Oldies" and thta includes things like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc. gently caress off Apple.
Hah, I'm guessing you haven't listened to much actual radio lately.

Guess what? :corsair: time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Snuffman posted:

Upgrading to a Steve Edition from my 5S

Oh my god, that's totally what SE stands for, isn't it. I remember Steve Jobs being pretty adamant about ~4" displays for the one handed convenience.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

I've never had an alarm scheduled to go off while my phone is sitting at the "Hello" screen after an OS update, but I have to imagine you won't have access to the device or apps until you finish the setup process. The alarm likely wasn't disabled per se, but I don't think you can get any sort of notifications while it's at that "Hello" screen.

Maybe someone who's actually tried the "Install Tonight" iOS update option with an alarm set can chime in if their alarm still went off the next day, but something tells me that'll probably disrupt alarms going off.

http://gawker.com/apples-newest-software-update-will-shut-off-your-iphone-1739207287

Thanks, I'm willing to bet this is what happened.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

enojy posted:

Oh my god, that's totally what SE stands for, isn't it. I remember Steve Jobs being pretty adamant about ~4" displays for the one handed convenience.

Actually, I thought he said that about 3.5" phones because he died before the 5 was announced.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Biodome posted:

Actually, I thought he said that about 3.5" phones because he died before the 5 was announced.

Oh yea, that's true. I forgot the iPhone was actually 3.5" prior to the 5.

Case chat: this company NOMAD is taking pre-orders for a leather 6/6S/6+/6S+ case. $39.95 gets you a case that looks pretty similar to the $50 Apple leather case, but made with confirmed Good poo poo Horween leather, so it's almost certainly better. It really looks like they were trying to emulate the Apple case, which is a good thing IMO. I really want it, but I'm on my third case in 2 years and that's enough money spent on cases when I haven't really ever needed one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I like their pitch but the 7 is coming out soon and my Apple TM leather case is holding up pretty well after a year of use.

I'll definitely check them out when the 7 launches though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That looks really nice. Shame that I have an SE and that it probably won't fit a 7 on the small chance I bother with one of those.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I deleted a bunch of un-needed photos from Photos on my Mac recently - about 9,000 of them. Now every time I plug my phone in it shows that there are 9.000ish photos available to import, so evidently those photos are still living on my phone somewhere. They don't show up in Recently Deleted, though. Is there any way to fix that?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endless Mike posted:

It behaves really weirdly because one afternoon I deleted all of the temporary one off public networks I've ever connected to that OS X saved only to find it all was restored when my iPhone decided to sync key chains, I'm assuming. My point is that whatever order you drag and drop them in will probably be overwritten by the phone.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

I can verify I missed my alarm for work because I okayed an iOS update for between 2am-5am or whatever. The alarm doesn't function until after setup.

I imagine that's made quite a few people late getting up in the morning, I wonder why there hasn't been more of a stink.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Apparently the 7 will not be much of an update which is good because my 6 is still fine. I'll upgrade to the 7S I next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
The iPhone Upgrade Program terms are confusing. If I use the program but want a new phone after 6 months, what are my options and which is the most advantageous? I'm thinking of getting the 7 but might also want the 7S.