Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Well you see, if you don't want to spend months of your life playing content you don't like to have access to something and would rather have some alternative means to getting it, you're clearly an instant-gratification millennial participation trophy having crybaby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

Well you see, if you don't want to spend months of your life playing content you don't like to have access to something and would rather have some alternative means to getting it, you're clearly an instant-gratification millennial participation trophy having crybaby.

how dare you, I'm not a millennial, I'm GENERATION Y

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Are we back to assuming that Legendary armor is going to be useful or practical in any way?

Holy poo poo guys, that Dragonhunter is running into our zerg solo again... and we have no idea precisely what his stats are each time!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The people who think "just four months of raid" need to actually walk into the raid and see how long it takes them to get their first nine.

The 150 mark is miserable in every way, and I'm so glad I don't care about Legendary Armor as they are now.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Are we back to assuming that Legendary armor is going to be useful or practical in any way?

Holy poo poo guys, that Dragonhunter is running into our zerg solo again... and we have no idea precisely what his stats are each time!

Future raids will be designed with legendary gear in mind...you will not be allowed to change gear once you enter, but will have to change stats at multiple points or wipe.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're either old as poo poo or 8 to not be a millennial mate. We had this talk before, embrace your millennialness.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We all knew that legendary armor was going to be a ridiculous grind. That's kind of how legendaries work, and a full set of armor is pretty much the one thing that could be justified as an even bigger grind than the weapons.

The precursors are also ugly as hell and the final versions will probably be about as ugly but with a jillion particle effects on top.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

AnacondaHL posted:

The people who think "just four months of raid" need to actually walk into the raid and see how long it takes them to get their first nine.

The 150 mark is miserable in every way, and I'm so glad I don't care about Legendary Armor as they are now.

To truly gain the insight needed for crafting these fireball particles circling your balls we need you to kill nine bosses seventeen times sir

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I hope wvw legendary armour needs royal guard or ultimate dominator

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

I hope wvw legendary armour needs royal guard or ultimate dominator

The gem store outfit? same

vvv yeah, ok, MILLENIAL

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Remember when legendaries were about doing some of every kind of content (except spvp because at launch that was a wholly separate from the rest of the game)? Gotta get the wvw tokens and get world completion and you need to be able to craft and have to have done dungeons and done lots of skill challenges and earn lots of karma and of course money. Remember how none of that required you do the same thing for 4 months?

At least they had the courtesy of having two different legendary back items so if you don't like doing one thing you can do the other. Maybe they'll do that with armor too.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Whats generation Y :confused:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Xun posted:

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/as-sa/98-311-x/98-311-x2011003_2-eng.cfm

quote:

According to 2011 Census data, 9.1 million people, or 27% of the total population, belong to the children of baby boomers generation. These people were aged between 19 and 39 in 2011 (Figure 2). This generation is often called Generation Y or 'echo of the baby boom.'

see cletus, suck my drat balls, i'm not a millennial

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

At least they had the courtesy of having two different legendary back items so if you don't like doing one thing you can do the other. Maybe they'll do that with armor too.

Well it takes 57 years of dev time to produce a new armor set, so we'll have to wait a bit.

Xun posted:

Millennials

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
generation y is the generation that doesnt have a name yet itll eventually be called the facebook generation or something. theres a big building in new york that decides these things

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Remember when legendaries were about doing some of every kind of content (except spvp because at launch that was a wholly separate from the rest of the game)? Gotta get the wvw tokens and get world completion and you need to be able to craft and have to have done dungeons and done lots of skill challenges and earn lots of karma and of course money. Remember how none of that required you do the same thing for 4 months?

The original idea was legendary armour for each game mode but this was back when colin ran things so he forgot about it 5 seconds after he put a single intern on the job.

The new/old guy says no more legendaries, more content. So time to push out the tiger bow and these armours which are already complete.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

you're absolutely a millennial and being butthurt about the label is the millennial-est thing you could possibly do

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So what you're saying is, this is all Colin's fault?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
No one recognizes canada in such matters, they called generation x the neo-toque generation.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Raids, sPvP, and Fractals have specific legendaries now so they fit in with the model of "doing some of everything", if you're under the insane assumption that it's expected for you have every single slot outlined in purple.

Also what fresh unique experiences were you constantly finding when earning/grinding/farming the gold for an original precursor and impractically farmable crafting materials? Personally I ran dungeons a lot and had fun doing it, and now raids are still great 7 months in.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Legendaries are moronic grinds and you should all feel bad for falling for dumb MMO skinner boxes and arguing about e-status symbols hth.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Something something goon world first something something

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

tyblazitar posted:

I don't get the outrage about LI requirements for legendary armor. You know that raids have been out for a long, long time right? And that they explicitly stated that you'd need Legendary Insights to make the armor? The legendary armor is meant for people who raid, just like the fractal/PvP backpacks and WvW armor sets require you to play a certain game mode to get. You can call it a 4 month timegate if you want, but nothing stopped anyone from saving up the ingredients everyone knew would be necessary since what, November? Honestly the ingredients seem mostly reasonable to me, although 600 of each T6 certainly stings.

i full clear all wings every week, i have enough insights to make the armor, and i still think the cost is horseshit

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Raids, sPvP, and Fractals have specific legendaries now so they fit in with the model of "doing some of everything", if you're under the insane assumption that it's expected for you have every single slot outlined in purple.

Also what fresh unique experiences were you constantly finding when earning/grinding/farming the gold for an original precursor and impractically farmable crafting materials? Personally I ran dungeons a lot and had fun doing it, and now raids are still great 7 months in.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make here or how it relates to anything I posted. I have 3 legendaries and they were all a lot of work and grinding, and yeah none of it was fresh or unique (what in this dead rear end game even is?) but I know I wasn't pigeonholed into doing one thing for four months because none of my legendaries even took half that long to make. I guess a point could be made that it is for a whole set of armor instead of just one weapon but I'm not convinced that it should be more work :shrug:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

here's the only "legendary" that matters (me)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

U.T. Raptor posted:

Something something goon world first something something

Are you the goon I keep having the same conversation with in guild chat about how we're both crafting the minstrel so we can craft chuka and champawat? Because if so, congrats you beat me to it! And if not, congrats you beat me to it anyway.

On the plus side I can still fit more tigers than you into one screenshot:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dreggon posted:

here's the only "legendary" that matters (me)

Can you get demoted from that or are you forever a legend? :swoon:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can you get demoted from that or are you forever a legend? :swoon:

you can't get demoted down divisions but don't keep your division between seasons

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Sure sure, it's a 4-month timegate starting now, because we suddenly have information that makes all goons want to craft legendary armor. If you had started getting into raids earlier and gotten into a decent group you could do full clears in 90 minutes every week, and slowly but surely saved up the insights that we knew were going to be needed. I guess it's easier to just decry raids as some grognard tryhard game mode that is bad anyway, and then act all outraged when they decide to give rewards for doing them. Even if you started today and full cleared every week you'd probably get to 150 before the armor is actually available knowing Anet's release history.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

tyblazitar posted:

it's a 4-month timegate

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Dude do you seriously not see anything wrong with someone coming into a game and being like, "o cool armor, how do I get it?" and the response being "well first find a consistent group of 9 other people and then religiously clear every raid every week for 4 months."

Like I don't think anyone's even complaining about raids being difficult try-hard bs (they're not), just annoying to do if you don't have a clique to do them with. There's also the fact that it's the only set of legendary armor in the game, and it's gated behind a very specific kind of content (as opposed to legendary backpacks which are PvP and PvE accessible) that few people even bother with.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tyblazitar posted:

it's a 4-month timegate

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

tyblazitar posted:

it's a 4-month timegate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKzdQq0qOQs

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Generic Octopus posted:

that few people even bother with.

I see them everywhere

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

knowonecanknow posted:

I see them everywhere

Do you want a cookie or something?

e:

tyblazitar posted:

Sure sure, it's a 4-month timegate starting now, because we suddenly have information that makes all goons want to craft legendary armor. If you had started getting into raids earlier and gotten into a decent group you could do full clears in 90 minutes every week, and slowly but surely saved up the insights that we knew were going to be needed. I guess it's easier to just decry raids as some grognard tryhard game mode that is bad anyway, and then act all outraged when they decide to give rewards for doing them. Even if you started today and full cleared every week you'd probably get to 150 before the armor is actually available knowing Anet's release history.

Hahaha just saw this post, you cannot actually seriously think this, "just raid man what's the big deal" :lol:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 22, 2016

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

Man I loved that episode

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

knowonecanknow posted:

I see them everywhere

That phrase doesn't apply to the part in parentheses (which is an aside), it applies to what preceded them.

Generic Octopus posted:

it's gated behind a very specific kind of content...that few people even bother with.

e: Unless you meant "I see people raiding everywhere," in which case idk, I don't.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 22, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Generic Octopus posted:

Dude do you seriously not see anything wrong with someone coming into a game and being like, "o cool armor, how do I get it?"

The wrong is that the armor won't actually be cool tho

And it'll be more available that Stalwart armor.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Stalwart shoulders havers are the true GW2 elites, get on my level, scrublords

o wait you can't :smaug:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I can't limbo that low, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Yeah, I think what makes it heinous isn't so much the time investment but moreso it's the time investment into doing exactly the same thing. Something can take a long time but still be interesting because it's a bunch of different stuff that combine together.

• Locked thread