Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dorstein posted:

Depending on your state, you can draw unemployment and GI Bill at the same time! Worked for me in Washington, just had to do some extra "training benefits" paperwork.

My point is that he's wasting a benefit that people literally kill for.

Pick a grad program you actually WANT, contact them directly and see if you can make up for jumping fields by taking some prereqs. Take these classes while on active duty and use TA (if it exists at the moment). Grad programs are often more willing to flex than undergrad. They might accept some courses (from a real school) that you live near, or that you can access remotely. Or if you score high enough on the GRE.

Don't throw away your GI Bill because you don't know what to do next. Jesus. If you're gonna do that you might as well put that BAH into a loving Camaro.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

My point is that he's wasting a benefit that people literally kill for.

Pick a grad program you actually WANT, contact them directly and see if you can make up for jumping fields by taking some prereqs. Take these classes while on active duty and use TA (if it exists at the moment). Grad programs are often more willing to flex than undergrad. They might accept some courses (from a real school) that you live near, or that you can access remotely. Or if you score high enough on the GRE.

Don't throw away your GI Bill because you don't know what to do next. Jesus. If you're gonna do that you might as well put that BAH into a loving Camaro.

Only way it could be more enlisted is if he sublets his studio apartment to people to keep a chunk of his BAH and downloads books as PDFs to save money allowing him to buy a used Audi RS4

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Build a room in the studio apartment and sublet it. As long as it doesn't touch the ceiling you're a-ok.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Build a room in the studio apartment and sublet it. As long as it doesn't touch the ceiling you're a-ok.

I got this reference.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

ManMythLegend posted:

For those considering orders to Japan, we are now banned from celebrating the 4th of July. Do with that information what you will.

this sort of tyranny is why we went to war with japan in the first place

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The tyranny is coming from within! Even worse! We volunteered for it and raped it into existence

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

CommieGIR posted:

I got this reference.

Same.

Grumpicat, if you're interested/willing/able to do the officer thing, IPs (1820s) just plain get either NPS or a leading civilian institution to get a CS related master's as their second tour. It's not just "available", as of now it's literally what the Navy sends you to do without additional OBLISERV.

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
Mood: Angsty
Hm a year out isn't really enough time to choose a field and start doing pre-reqs. Maybe I'll see what kind of score I can pull on the GMAT and start applying to actual good MBA programs in September/October.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grumpicat posted:

Hm a year out isn't really enough time to choose a field and start doing pre-reqs. Maybe I'll see what kind of score I can pull on the GMAT and start applying to actual good MBA programs in September/October.

Do you actually want an MBA?

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

That was the best thread ever.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

CommieGIR posted:

I got this reference.

If anybody is curious about this, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779396

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Also, if you go to Japan, you're loving up. I just left there (as a civilian) and while there is a lot of stuff to see and do there, if anybody has any kind of high profile liberty incident, you'll end up helping to pay for it. Liberty buddies, curfew, no drinking, liberty plans with your khaki calling you in the middle of the night to see if you're following your plan. Don't go. Unless you're a masochist. It was easy for me as a civilian, I just got to blow off all of the CNFJ rules for the sailors, but I got to see their pain and it pretty much sucked.

Oh, and the 4th of July is cancelled, which is dumb as gently caress because the Japanese loved them and would flock to the bases to watch the fireworks.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I guess I don't see an MBA-maybe as a waste. Nothing like DeVry or Art Institute or some other for-profit scam.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dorstein posted:

I guess I don't see an MBA-maybe as a waste. Nothing like DeVry or Art Institute or some other for-profit scam.

I've noticed a lot of people who claim MBAs are worthless work for people with MBAs

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

I've noticed a lot of people who claim MBAs are worthless work for people with MBAs

Well yeah, cashiers work for shift managers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grumpicat posted:

You don't have to rush out and choose if you're not sure. Just get a job that will support yourself and explore and network. Once you're comfortable heading in one direction then commit your resources toward it.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Do non-Navy Americans get boned in this whole thing? I can imagine an ordinary American going to Yokosuka and getting harassed to no end by MAs or shore patrol until they find out he's not actually in the Navy.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

hogmartin posted:

Do non-Navy Americans get boned in this whole thing? I can imagine an ordinary American going to Yokosuka and getting harassed to no end by MAs or shore patrol until they find out he's not actually in the Navy.

Most Americans living in Japan are in Tokyo, where they're just happy you aren't a Russian

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hogmartin posted:

Are you and the four other young guys you're with all wearing backpacks, white polo shirts, chinos, and identical haircuts? If not, you're okay.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grumpicat posted:

I'm starting my MBA in a couple of months.

Maybe you should take some time to figure out just what the gently caress you're trying to do because what I've realized about the MBA is a couple of things:
1) Unless you're going into something accounting, finance, or consulting related your grades don't matter much (that is to say you don't need a 4.0 but you shouldn't have less than a 3.0)
2) People at top MBA programs take their poo poo seriously, far more seriously than you are currently
3) If you're seen as not taking it seriously then :lol: good luck on your networking, because these schools are loaded with people who have big connections. Getting them to put in a good word for you is going to be essential in getting your internship (if the program does that).
4) MBAs are largely regional if you aren't in a top-25 or so program. The further away you get from that top-25 the more you're going to get trumped by your regional school for top jobs.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 22, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

I'm not saying MBAs are worthless, I'm saying MBAs are worthless if you want to go into computer science or engineering.

Grumpicat posted:

I was looking at ways to transition into computer science or some type of engineering

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Godholio posted:

I'm not saying MBAs are worthless, I'm saying MBAs are worthless if you want to go into computer science or engineering.

I disagree. There's plenty of MBA seats at tech companies. They want folks with CS or engineering backgrounds in the same way that patent lawyers with tech backgrounds are more useful.

However... you're really better off working in the field first before you jump off and get an MBA. Especially here in the valley, the tech world is a suprisingly small place. Networking really works.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rolling into a new field with an MBA (or any other master's) w/o field-specific experience/education and expecting any pull is no different from leaving the military and expecting it to inherently benefit you in a job search. That's the differentiator...first you want to be qualified for the field.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hogmartin posted:

It would be interesting to go back to Japan some day and look at the honch again. I wonder how much a beer costs now, it was like 800 yen in 97.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ded posted:

It would be interesting to go back to Japan some day and look at the honch again. I wonder how much a beer costs now, it was like 800 yen in 97.

I walked through the honch a few days ago and wasn't very impressed. Watching Yokohama Baystars play a baseball game in a sold out ballpark was fun though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Taliban tacos loving rule though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I walked through the honch a few days ago and wasn't very impressed. Watching Yokohama Baystars play a baseball game in a sold out ballpark was fun though.

The honch was a goddamned ghost town the night before I left. loving shore patrol crawled right up your rear end if you were American and I had at least a couple japanese cops ask to see my military ID so they could see if I was breaking curfew.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

The honch was a goddamned ghost town the night before I left. loving shore patrol crawled right up your rear end if you were American and I had at least a couple japanese cops ask to see my military ID so they could see if I was breaking curfew.

lol at the Japanese cops hassling you.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hogmartin posted:

I heard a story a while back about an American civilian in somewhere like Dubai who was really drunk, got rolled up by shore patrol and dragged back to the ship, which then actually pulled out to sea the next morning before he was able to convince them that he wasn't in the Navy. They had to fly him back to shore on a COD or something.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I heard a story a while back about an American civilian in somewhere like Dubai who was really drunk, got rolled up by shore patrol and dragged back to the ship, which then actually pulled out to sea the next morning before he was able to convince them that he wasn't in the Navy. They had to fly him back to shore on a COD or something.

That would actually be bad rear end. You could get money for it!

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Dear God, that is gold.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Is the 4th of July going to be cancelled in Greece too? http://wavy.com/2016/06/22/locally-based-navy-pilot-accused-of-stealing-crashing-taxi-cab-in-greece/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So people in Japan making pruno yet or just drinking mouthwash and rubbing alcohol

Prohibition has a long standing history of proving to be successful

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So people in Japan making pruno yet or just drinking mouthwash and rubbing alcohol

Prohibition has a long standing history of proving to be successful

Drinking is restricted to on base right now. So most folks are just getting sloshed on base before going out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh I thought alcohol was banned for a bit there

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Oh I thought alcohol was banned for a bit there

It was for like a week. Same poo poo as always happens when someone does something stupid in Okinawa.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Atsugi is breathalyzing everyone entering and leaving base. Hooyah!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

maffew buildings posted:

Jesus, how much is that slowing down the line?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

https://taskandpurpose.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/dd214-meme-840x503.jpg

I just got home from Seattle, and I am so loving happy that I will never have to put on a uniform again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

https://taskandpurpose.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/dd214-meme-840x503.jpg

I just got home from Seattle, and I am so loving happy that I will never have to put on a uniform again.

Congrats! No more :chiefsay:

• Locked thread