Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Danbri posted:

Hey all, could use some compatibility help.

I don't have much knowledge of RAM other than finding out after the fact they should be bought in pairs. Last year I picked up this highly-touted stick by itself, and now that I have some spare cash I wouldn't mind a RAM upgrade for video processing/extreme browser tab issues.

Typically RAM should be bought and installed in pairs as they were tested with each other, as I know now, but can I just buy this RAM again and toss it in with relatively no problems? I have an H97 motherboard with open slots for days, so there's definitely room, but I have no knowledge of RAM conflicts or anything.

It should be fine, there is a very small chance that something might go wrong but that is true of pretty much any upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Moola posted:

Would an EVGA 500w 80+ bronze also be a good choice?

I'd still give the nod to the BeQuiet PSU.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
reading reviews and opinions on PSUs online is loving irritating

So much personal opinion and "ew I don't like this brand because reasons!"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Why does the OP recommend WD red over blue for media storage? I'm looking for a 4TB and newegg has them at $150 and $130 respectively.

I'm not doing a NAS, so it seems like the difference is a 3 year vs. 2 year warranty. Since they both have a 30 day replacement period, and most hard drives die either right away or after 5 years, it seems like I'd pay 15% more just for the extra year of warranty, unlikely to make any difference. Is there something I'm missing, or is it only a good value for NAS builders?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Moola posted:

I look at jonnyguru.com first. There it's nice graphs of power quality, shots of the insides of the unit and "ew I don't like Chinese electrolytic caps because (good but dated) reasons!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Moola posted:

Well, that techpowerup review I linked you to said it was a good PSU but it did fail one metric and isn't officially accepted by Intel as being Haswell-ready. It also makes special note of the components used as being high-quality.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/PurePower_L8_500W/4.html

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

xthetenth posted:

I look at jonnyguru.com first. There it's nice graphs of power quality, shots of the insides of the unit and "ew I don't like Chinese electrolytic caps because (good but dated) reasons!"

Yeah, they're really good. HardOCP and Anandtech also have pretty thorough PSU reviews so I'd probably look for one of those three when evaluating a model. In general with sites that do PSU reviews I think the thing to look out for is a test methodology that involves actual test equipment: a tuneable load and an oscilloscope or other precise voltage measurement kit. Reviews that rely on plugging in a PC and using its sensors and programs to test the PSU don't contain nearly as much information about voltage regulation, efficiency, and how the unit works at various load levels and are more just like reading user anecdotes.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My dad's ancient computer needs replacing, and I decided to go with the budget option in the OP: a Dell Inspirion 3847 with an upgraded video card. Dell Outlet has a promotion right now so I snagged a 3847 for about $315.

My question is, does anybody know if the power supply in that Inspirion can handle a GTX 770 or a GTX 960? My girlfriend and I have those cards and I was thinking I could put one of those into dad's computer and then upgrade one of our systems. The PSU specs weren't noted on the website.

If the Dell PSU isn't up to snuff, then is there any reason why I couldn't just swap a better power supply into the Inspirion and to run the GTX 770/960?

If that isn't possible for some reason (proprietary hardware, etc.), then I'll just get him a 750ti as suggested in the OP. He's used to PS3/480i graphic quality so he won't care if he has to run iRacing on low detail.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wait and get an rx 480

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shine posted:

My dad's ancient computer needs replacing, and I decided to go with the budget option in the OP: a Dell Inspirion 3847 with an upgraded video card. Dell Outlet has a promotion right now so I snagged a 3847 for about $315.

My question is, does anybody know if the power supply in that Inspirion can handle a GTX 770 or a GTX 960? My girlfriend and I have those cards and I was thinking I could put one of those into dad's computer and then upgrade one of our systems. The PSU specs weren't noted on the website.

If the Dell PSU isn't up to snuff, then is there any reason why I couldn't just swap a better power supply into the Inspirion and to run the GTX 770/960?

If that isn't possible for some reason (proprietary hardware, etc.), then I'll just get him a 750ti as suggested in the OP. He's used to PS3/480i graphic quality so he won't care if he has to run iRacing on low detail.

The Dell power supply won't have PCI-E power cables, just the bare minimum for what's in the case (and one spare sata power in case you add a second HD). So, you can either go with a card that's entirely bus-powered like some models of 750Ti or replace the PSU with something more capable. You can easily replace it on the mid tower models since they're standard ATX, although you should measure the length of the PSU before buying a replacement and check the length of it because some longer power supplies (usually modular or partially modular PSUs are longer due to the extra space for the modular jacks) won't always fit correctly with some of the dell side panel hardware or PSU mounting bracket.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

xthetenth posted:

If the money matters to you, the 480 will likely be a solid pick. The 4/8 GB difference may make a difference in the long run, especially if you don't want to play with settings, but it may be a decent place to save a bit of money considering some of the cards it performs even with (970, 980, 290, 290X) are 4 GB cards.

8GB vs 4GB RX 480 is a no-brainer choice for the former. The difference is only $30 for a part with a useful life of like 2 years? Don't be penny-wise, pound-foolish.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Just going by eBay auctions for a PSU for an Inspiron 3847, it's a 300W unit. You'll want 400-500W, and that's assuming an RX480 or GTX 960. The TDP of the 760 is 170W to the 960's 120W, while the RX480 is ~150W.

You'll also want to make certain the card's length is no longer than 9-10":

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 21, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There are bus powered 950s so that's worth a look, though I'm not sure how big they are. The RX 460 is going to be bus powered so you could wait and see how that performs, as well.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

This is all very helpful, thanks! I'd like to get his computer all set this weekend (and upgrading the video at a later time would mean an additional day trip up there) so I'll just figure something out with the current crop of cards and a new PSU. Hopefully the length of our hand-me-down cards won't be an issue.

Thanks again!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a MITX box (Node 304) with a GTX 970 (nVidia stock blower cooler). Now looking to upgrade to a GTX 1070. I can get an MSI blower for £280, an MSI open-air for £290 or the Founders Edition for £300. I'm leaning towards just grabbing an FE because I've heard they overclock a little better and a blower isn't really a down side for me due to the compact case. Is there anything terrible about this plan? There are some other cards due in stock at some point but they're all more expensive things with big open-air coolers and I don't think they're going to offer me any benefit really. How is the noise levels on the FE? My PC lives on my desk so quieter is good but it's not a huge issue.

Also, just to confirm, the FE cards are literally identical regardless of brand, right?

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
Edited due to not knowing poo poo about components.

What country are you in? USA- Denver
What are you using the system for? Web/Office
What's your budget? $700, need windows and a DVD drive.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920 x 1280

My budget went up since my previous post. Not sure what a good build is but this is what I threw together.

Question: Would it be better to stick to an i3 or go up to an i5? Also, video cards not sure what to get.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($30.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $686.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-21 13:40 EDT-0400

http://www.microcenter.com/product/451887/Core_i5-6500_32GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor is on sale for 179.99 which does not show up on PCPartPicker. Also, at microcenter they have a bundle for a processor and a compatible motherboard will take off $30 but they don't have the bazooka version of this motherboard. Could save up to $50 dollars.

Thanks.

UnhealthyJoe fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 21, 2016

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

There are bus powered 950s so that's worth a look, though I'm not sure how big they are.

Those look interesting. Their TDP is 75W versus 60W for the 750ti. For a stock 300W Dell PSU, do you think that's an immaterial difference, or should I err on the side of a 750ti?

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
It's been a while since I've built a computer, and I'm building a VR box.

Purposes: Development (C++, Java), gaming
Budget: Would like to come in near ~1000, not firm
Software: Visual Studio, CUDA
Resolution: 1080P, although the point of this machine is to drive the HTC Vive

I've made this list of choices based on my priorities:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($66.50 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($70.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1105.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-21 13:49 EDT-0400

CPU: I was wafffling between the 6700K and the 6600K, but I finally decided on the 6600K because the 30% faster compile times I would get aren't worth another $110 I think. I don't know. Help.
Cooler: Whatever, I just want something that doesn't sound like a jet engine and works.
Motherboard: I don't feel like janitoring this machine and overclocking, I just want something that works.
Memory: DDR-3000 is like.. $10-20 more expensive, whatever. I know it doesn't make much of a difference. I might end up buying 16 more later, hence the 4 slots on the motherboard.
Storage: I want to be able to keep all executable files on an SSD. I will install a spinning 2 TB drive that I have lying around for media. I know re-using hard drives is risky, I just don't care if I lose most of that.
Video Card: This seems to be the best price/performance. I can wait a few days or even a couple weeks for it to ship, I'm in no rush.
Power supply: Machine estimated to take 320W, doubling that gives about 650, decent reviews.
Case: Need something portable in case I need to take it out for demos.

Posting here because you guys seem to have some decent advice. Does anybody see anything glaring? Thanks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tunga posted:

I have a MITX box (Node 304) with a GTX 970 (nVidia stock blower cooler). Now looking to upgrade to a GTX 1070. I can get an MSI blower for £280, an MSI open-air for £290 or the Founders Edition for £300. I'm leaning towards just grabbing an FE because I've heard they overclock a little better and a blower isn't really a down side for me due to the compact case. Is there anything terrible about this plan? There are some other cards due in stock at some point but they're all more expensive things with big open-air coolers and I don't think they're going to offer me any benefit really. How is the noise levels on the FE? My PC lives on my desk so quieter is good but it's not a huge issue.

Also, just to confirm, the FE cards are literally identical regardless of brand, right?

The FE does not OC any better than the other models, but with a case like the Node 304 you definitely want a blower cooler and the FE probably has the best one available. The FE is very quiet for a blower card.

And yeah, FEs are all made by Nvidia so they are all identical regardless of brand.

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Edited due to not knowing poo poo about components.

What country are you in? USA- Denver
What are you using the system for? Web/Office
What's your budget? $700, need windows and a DVD drive.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920 x 1280

My budget went up since my previous post. Not sure what a good build is but this is what I threw together.

Question: Would it be better to stick to an i3 or go up to an i5? Also, video cards not sure what to get.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($30.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $686.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-21 13:40 EDT-0400

http://www.microcenter.com/product/451887/Core_i5-6500_32GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor is on sale for 179.99 which does not show up on PCPartPicker. Also, at microcenter they have a bundle for a processor and a compatible motherboard will take off $30 but they don't have the bazooka version of this motherboard. Could save up to $50 dollars.

Thanks.

You don't need all that for an office machine, here's something cheaper:

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk X400 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Directron)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $472.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-21 15:25 EDT-0400

I omitted the video card since you can just use the onboard video off of the motherboard's connections. Other than that I saved money where I could. Also don't buy from OutletPC or SuperBiiz, both are untrustworthy.

The Gay Bean posted:

It's been a while since I've built a computer, and I'm building a VR box.

Purposes: Development (C++, Java), gaming
Budget: Would like to come in near ~1000, not firm
Software: Visual Studio, CUDA
Resolution: 1080P, although the point of this machine is to drive the HTC Vive

I've made this list of choices based on my priorities:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($66.50 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($70.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1105.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-21 13:49 EDT-0400

CPU: I was wafffling between the 6700K and the 6600K, but I finally decided on the 6600K because the 30% faster compile times I would get aren't worth another $110 I think. I don't know. Help.
Cooler: Whatever, I just want something that doesn't sound like a jet engine and works.
Motherboard: I don't feel like janitoring this machine and overclocking, I just want something that works.
Memory: DDR-3000 is like.. $10-20 more expensive, whatever. I know it doesn't make much of a difference. I might end up buying 16 more later, hence the 4 slots on the motherboard.
Storage: I want to be able to keep all executable files on an SSD. I will install a spinning 2 TB drive that I have lying around for media. I know re-using hard drives is risky, I just don't care if I lose most of that.
Video Card: This seems to be the best price/performance. I can wait a few days or even a couple weeks for it to ship, I'm in no rush.
Power supply: Machine estimated to take 320W, doubling that gives about 650, decent reviews.
Case: Need something portable in case I need to take it out for demos.

Posting here because you guys seem to have some decent advice. Does anybody see anything glaring? Thanks.

A few changes:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk X400 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.96 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1173.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-21 15:40 EDT-0400

1) I changed the CPU because at least the 6700k is significantly faster in single threaded performance even without OCing, a 6600k is a waste if you are not going to OC it at all. If you want something cheaper the i5-6500 is the go to CPU for non-OC bang for your buck.
2) I removed the fast RAM because you need to OC to get the higher speeds out of RAM that is rated for it.
3) I changed the SSD for something a little cheaper, it's a little slower in some areas but still very fast overall and it still comes with a 5 year warranty just like the 850 EVO.
4) I changed the video card for a better one, any open air cooler is going to be better than the FE, though I recommend waiting and seeing if you can get a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070 since it has a really good cooler design and is also $430.
5) I changed the PSU to this one to save a little money, it's still a very good PSU, you can take a look at a good review here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=454

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
Sigh... forgot to put gaming. Lame. I re-edited it because i chose an unlocked core and messed that part up.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My dad got an old alienware computer from my brother several years ago and has finally found a game his system can't run (and the PC is from like '09 so most of what it does run is pretty strained at this point). His mobo is fine, plenty of ram, just put a new harddrive in but I should replace the power supply and he'll need a new CPU that fits the chipset he's currently using.

What I'm looking for is a good option for an upgrade for a Intel Core i5 750.

I don't know diddly jack about processors so I'm mostly just hoping that there is a relatively modern processor that still fits in the same socket, so I won't have to replace the mobo.

Thanks.

It's not my money so I don't really have a hard number budget, if it's relevant let's just call it something middle of the road, he won't want anything too high end. Though I expect you can't even get high end in that socket anymore, but who knows.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 22, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Sigh... forgot to put gaming. Lame. I re-edited it because i chose an unlocked core and messed that part up.

Ahhh, ok, in that case you will need a video card, let me try to put something together.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk X400 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: RX 480 ($200.00)
Total: $715.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-21 19:23 EDT-0400

This goes slightly over budget but is way, way more powerful. The SSD is a good one, not quite as good as an 850 EVO but more than good enough. I replaced the PSU with something better and about the same price, the capacity isn't very high but it should be plenty since you won't be OCing outside of maybe the video card. The star of this build is the RX 480 video card which is set to come out at the end of the month, it is at least as powerful as a GTX 980 and with overclocking it looks like it will fall somewhere between a GTX 980 and 980 Ti, so two to three times as fast as a GTX 960 for ~$200.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The FE does not OC any better than the other models, but with a case like the Node 304 you definitely want a blower cooler and the FE probably has the best one available. The FE is very quiet for a blower card.

And yeah, FEs are all made by Nvidia so they are all identical regardless of brand.
Perfectly answers all my questions, thank you! Will just pick up the cheapest FE I can find.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

I think I can get on board with this, thanks.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

Bread Zeppelin posted:

Can anyone tell me if these parts will work to make a computer that would be good for photo editing?

Case: Cooler Master HAF X http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225&ignorebbr=1
Power: Corsair RM850i http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139138&ignorebbr=1
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8x8gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233734&ignorebbr=1
CPU: Intel i75820k 3.3ghz 6 core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402&ignorebbr=1
Main HD: Sandisk Ultra II 960gb SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173013&ignorebbr=1
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380x 4gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125836&ignorebbr=1
Motherboard: Asus x99-a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83UM1750&ignorebbr=1

I have some other hard drives that will be used to actually store things.

I'm rethinking the 6 core since I read somewhere that Photoshop doesn't really take advantage of the extra cores. I'm looking through the Newegg 4 core processors and there are some with integrated graphics. Should I steer clear of those since I'll be buying a separate video card? Or does it matter?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Bread Zeppelin posted:

I'm rethinking the 6 core since I read somewhere that Photoshop doesn't really take advantage of the extra cores. I'm looking through the Newegg 4 core processors and there are some with integrated graphics. Should I steer clear of those since I'll be buying a separate video card? Or does it matter?

An iGPU is pretty standard these days and does not interfere with the video card so you don't need to worry about it. In fact it can come in use sometimes like if you have multiple monitors but don't have the right outputs on the video card you can use the outputs on the motherboard instead.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This goes slightly over budget but is way, way more powerful. The SSD is a good one, not quite as good as an 850 EVO but more than good enough. I replaced the PSU with something better and about the same price, the capacity isn't very high but it should be plenty since you won't be OCing outside of maybe the video card. The star of this build is the RX 480 video card which is set to come out at the end of the month, it is at least as powerful as a GTX 980 and with overclocking it looks like it will fall somewhere between a GTX 980 and 980 Ti, so two to three times as fast as a GTX 960 for ~$200.

Sounds like a plan. Is there a date on the video card do you know? I am moving from Denver to South Carolina so kind of wanted to get the computer built before the move and new address ect.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Sounds like a plan. Is there a date on the video card do you know? I am moving from Denver to South Carolina so kind of wanted to get the computer built before the move and new address ect.

June 29th, but you can always get the system together and slap in the video card later, we don't know if there will be shortages at launch so you might end up waiting a week or so before being able to get your hands on one. In the mean time you just use the onboard graphics, you can even play some games on lower settings with the iGPU on the i5-6500 while you wait.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That should work fine, the only changes I would make are these:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.34 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($163.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($450.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1610.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-20 03:09 EDT-0400

I assume the SSD is something you already have, if not switch it out for an 850 EVO or Sandisk X400. I switched the CPU cooler for a better one and did the same for the PSU. I also added faster RAM since that will give you some extra performance.

Now you've got me interested in PS4-size cases. I'd be using roughly those parts, except I actually have needed an optical drive from time to time. As far as slim slot-loading drives go (what the Raven will take), what's worth having? I've been kind of tempted to get a Blu-Ray burner on the off-change I want to back up large chunks of videos and such, but I'm not sure I'd actually need that.

Plus I noticed that the Raven case puts a 120mm fan right above the heatsink:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1392-page4.html

Would there be any point in having two fans on top of one another?

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

June 29th, but you can always get the system together and slap in the video card later, we don't know if there will be shortages at launch so you might end up waiting a week or so before being able to get your hands on one. In the mean time you just use the onboard graphics, you can even play some games on lower settings with the iGPU on the i5-6500 while you wait.

Sounds awesome. Just bought it all. Wish Amazon wasn't so much more expensive. Hopefully itll all be here next week.

Thank you for all your help.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
I've waited since my last list from the other thread...Mostly for the 480X's to come out first; That will likely be what I'll get.

Just waiting to pull the trigger on the rest of the components not yet purchased, the only thing I'm not certain of is whether the RAM choice is necessarily the most optimum, and even then, it's a small matter for the most part :

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.49)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $623.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-21 21:29 EDT-0400

The custom price for the 6600K is picking it up from Micro Center, including tax.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
This likely isn't the spot but figure this thread has given solid advice. It is my favorite thread. What do you recommend for pc speakers that won't break the bank. Any advice? I've bought super cheap ones that I can barely hear anything from. Maybe less than 200 bucks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tony Homo posted:

"
This likely isn't the spot but figure this thread has given solid advice. It is my favorite thread. What do you recommend for pc speakers that won't break the bank. Any advice? I've bought super cheap ones that I can barely hear anything from. Maybe less than 200 bucks.

If you can fit them M-Audio AV42 or AV32 should be really good, I have some older M-Audio Studiophile AV 40s and they are very, very good for the price, these are the newer versions of my speakers so they should be very good. They are pretty large, mine are 6.5" deep, 6" wide and 9" tall, but they really need the size to produce good sound so it's worth it, IMO.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I have av-40s as well and really like them

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Killer_B posted:

The custom price for the 6600K is picking it up from Micro Center, including tax.

If you're going to Microcenter anyway, have you checked their selection of motherboards? If you get both the cpu and mobo there, they'll take another $30 off. If your goal with that motherboard is mainly SLI, there are several on their website that list the capability to do 2-way or 4-way (the search filters don't overlap between those, for the record.) If you chose that board for other reasons, they might not have anything suitable, I dunno.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you can fit them M-Audio AV42 or AV32 should be really good, I have some older M-Audio Studiophile AV 40s and they are very, very good for the price, these are the newer versions of my speakers so they should be very good. They are pretty large, mine are 6.5" deep, 6" wide and 9" tall, but they really need the size to produce good sound so it's worth it, IMO.

FWIW, the amazon reviews for the AV42 appear to consider it a big step down from your AV 40s https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-AV42-20-Watt-Compact-Speakers/dp/B00X741TB0

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Agent355 posted:

My dad got an old alienware computer from my brother several years ago and has finally found a game his system can't run (and the PC is from like '09 so most of what it does run is pretty strained at this point). His mobo is fine, plenty of ram, just put a new harddrive in but I should replace the power supply and he'll need a new CPU that fits the chipset he's currently using.

What I'm looking for is a good option for an upgrade for a Intel Core i5 750.

I don't know diddly jack about processors so I'm mostly just hoping that there is a relatively modern processor that still fits in the same socket, so I won't have to replace the mobo.

Thanks.

It's not my money so I don't really have a hard number budget, if it's relevant let's just call it something middle of the road, he won't want anything too high end. Though I expect you can't even get high end in that socket anymore, but who knows.

Unfortunately, Socket 1156 processors were only really made in 2009-2010. The one you have appears to be a quad-core without HT so while you could upgrade to a marginally faster quad with HT, there are no upgrades for that socket that are significantly better. I believe that socket is also the last time that BCLK overclocking is feasible, so if you have a good cooler and compatible motherboard and haven't tried it already then you might want to. I would expect around 3.6 at least to be possible since it's not too hard to get that high on the Socket 1366 chips that Socket 1156 models are based on, and while that still won't be as good as a new machine it will be a solid ~35% improvement over stock speed so you might notice it. There is one processor model that supports multiplier overclocking from that generation (875K) but used prices look to be still so high that I would look at a new platform before buying one. Realistically you can't get much higher with multiplier overclocking anyway, there's just less thinking and tweaking involved.

If overclocking isn't an option or isn't adequate, you should start looking into a mobo/CPU/RAM replacement combo. A new Skylake dual-core would be a lot faster for most purposes, and an i5/i7 quad would be approaching twice as fast as what you have.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 22, 2016

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? $1100
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920x1080 (I run lower out of games)

It is time to replace my Dell potato

The HDD is relatively new so I can move that into the new build for mass storage, and probably the optical as well.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Sorry, I don't know where else to post this at. Basically my motherboard's USBs are wonky. Some times items disconnect, but it is usually when I plug in my fightstick. My fightstick will disconnect or turn off and at times it will results in the fightstick, mouse, and/or keyboard turning off all at once. I tested it on Linux at the same thing happened so it isn't a Windows issue. I brought a USB hub to test it out and it still doesn't work.

I decided that it must be an issue with the motherboard. If I purchase the same motherboard as before will I have to change any settings on my computer or the overclock settings on my CPU/video card? Or does that have to be reset regardless of what motherboard I purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sorry, I don't know where else to post this at. Basically my motherboard's USBs are wonky. Some times items disconnect, but it is usually when I plug in my fightstick. My fightstick will disconnect or turn off and at times it will results in the fightstick, mouse, and/or keyboard turning off all at once. I tested it on Linux at the same thing happened so it isn't a Windows issue. I brought a USB hub to test it out and it still doesn't work.

I decided that it must be an issue with the motherboard. If I purchase the same motherboard as before will I have to change any settings on my computer or the overclock settings on my CPU/video card? Or does that have to be reset regardless of what motherboard I purchase.

If it's an identical motherboard, I would think your OS settings and Video Card OC would be fine, as they would be saved in software. Your CPU OC is going to be saved to your motherboard's BIOS, that won't transfer over, so you might want to write down your settings so you can just put them the new mobo.

An alternate idea would be buying a PCI-E USB card instead of buying a whole new motherboard, but I can understand replacing the mobo if one piece is already acting wonky, other things might follow.