Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

New Top Gear is bad. I mean a fitting metaphor was the Venice challenge....Old Top Gear would have beat the train.

Also I am going to go against the current and say that Sabine is a terrible presenter. Sure she is a hugely talented driver, but she is so loving stereotypically German on screen it's almost painful to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MrChips posted:

New Top Gear is bad. I mean a fitting metaphor was the Venice challenge....Old Top Gear would have beat the train.

Also I am going to go against the current and say that Sabine is a terrible presenter. Sure she is a hugely talented driver, but she is so loving stereotypically German on screen it's almost painful to watch.

You're not the only one, dude. I don't hate her or anything, I just don't think this is the role for her. It was the same when she appeared on fifth gear. She's just not a good presenter. I loved her segments with Jeremy in the jag and the van on the ring. I also loved Mika Hakkinen's segment with James but I don't think he would fit as a host either.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think Sabine does well in minor roles that involve driving fast, anything more than that and it's a bit grating. I see her as the team racing driver that should do the racing stuff not related to power laps, which the Stig covers.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I made an effort and sat through episode 4 (violently skipped the rallycross bit ofc). I agree Sabine is not good on television even if she is a good character and obviously a fantastic driver. A bit of language issues, a lot of instructing or directing issues, there were some really embarrassing moments in there. The challenge was so stilted and cringe worthy, there will be absolutely no "is it scripted or not" debates this time. It needs to start from scratch as a new concept or just drop the whole thing.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I thought Sabine trying to quote top gun was pretty funny.

But yeah they already have a person who races cars but is also an actual car journalist.

Actually, pitting Sabine vs Harris in driving challenges would probably turn out pretty well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sabine is an unvarnished, unhinged vehicular lunatic. A tasmanian devil with ladyparts and a very weird personality. She has been forced to be a "presenter." It's like every wrong choice possible has been made.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

fyodor posted:

Sabine is an unvarnished, unhinged vehicular lunatic. A tasmanian devil with ladyparts and a very weird personality.

Is it wrong that I have an erection now?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
So will this thread eventually be renamed to include The Grand tour or will a new car show thread be made for the first time in 5 years?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

D C posted:

Is it wrong that I have an erection now?
If that's wrong I don't wanna be right :quagmire:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pik_d posted:

So will this thread eventually be renamed to include The Grand tour or will a new car show thread be made for the first time in 5 years?

Just rename the thread to The Grand Tour, remove the stig from the OP and it should be good enough.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The best thing about the new Top Gear is that they're not big babies and so they actually reviewed a Tesla.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Alighieri posted:

someone earlier mentioned that the Vulcan sounds so much better then what Top Gear recorded. Found a youtube video of one on a track and it is indeed glorious and probably better then this cam recording can capture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhNiCBESAFY&t=118s

that overrun crackle....

Told you!

When it was round here the guy was turning laps of our little city centre circuit and seemingly loved nothing more than smashing it off the rev limiter. It shot passed us, he dropped a cog and then sat on the limiter for a few seconds. My car appreciating lady friend next to me remarked "I think I just came" :boom:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

88h88 posted:

My car appreciating lady friend next to me remarked "I think I just came" :boom:

Haha, having a fun time with your car loving lady friend who is definitely NOT made up, but 100% real.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Femtosecond posted:

The best thing about the new Top Gear is that they're not big babies and so they actually reviewed a Tesla.

Chris Evans is the very definition of a big baby.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

hopterque posted:

Haha, having a fun time with your car loving lady friend who is definitely NOT made up, but 100% real.

You should maybe go outside and make friends, you'll find there's a really diverse array of people out there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Femtosecond posted:

The best thing about the new Top Gear is that they're not big babies

FACT!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

88h88 posted:

You should maybe go outside and make friends, you'll find there's a really diverse array of people out there.

Nice meltdown, maybe you can get a job on top gear working alongside chris evans.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The best part about that episode was Eddie Jordan on the spoons.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

Yeah, the old TG decided that electric cars are for poofs and Guardian readers so they would never give Tesla a fair shot. And even though the friendly ribbing with Leblanc was very stilted, Reid came across with an opinion I and many others share; electrics are a small part of the present and a big part of the future.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

hopterque posted:

Nice meltdown, maybe you can get a job on top gear working alongside chris evans.

Look elsewhere for your jollies, kiddo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ola posted:

Yeah, the old TG decided that electric cars are for poofs and Guardian readers so they would never give Tesla a fair shot. And even though the friendly ribbing with Leblanc was very stilted, Reid came across with an opinion I and many others share; electrics are a small part of the present and a big part of the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFGX43vubM

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GutBomb posted:

You're not the only one, dude. I don't hate her or anything, I just don't think this is the role for her. It was the same when she appeared on fifth gear. She's just not a good presenter. I loved her segments with Jeremy in the jag and the van on the ring. I also loved Mika Hakkinen's segment with James but I don't think he would fit as a host either.

Being a good presenter is something that can be developed (presumably). It just takes proper direction which New Top Gear seems to be dropping the ball with in that regard as they never had to really do that with the old trio.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Top Gear US was pretty good this week, but drat, the way that History Channel keeps doing the pre/post commercial clips is terrible; spoiled who won the challenge

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It retrospect it was pretty obvious Tanner was taking a dive because he's the only one of the three who could ride a bike that far and not die. I do wish they could've spent more time on the race across LA

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I loved the ending race. Sure, it's a copy of the London/Moscow race old top gear did, but it was still very good.

The Stig's ending was the best.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Xelkelvos posted:

Being a good presenter is something that can be developed (presumably). It just takes proper direction which New Top Gear seems to be dropping the ball with in that regard as they never had to really do that with the old trio.
I think it's the language barrier, and the controlling of the show by higher-ups.

She's presented a TV show about cars for years, so it's not lack of experience.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

InitialDave posted:

I think it's the language barrier, and the controlling of the show by higher-ups.

She's presented a TV show about cars for years, so it's not lack of experience.

In german.

edit: I know she's been on regular TG I mean isn't her regular hosting gig a german show?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fyodor posted:

In german.

edit: I know she's been on regular TG I mean isn't her regular hosting gig a german show?
It is, and that's why I mentioned the language barrier specifically.

But in terms of knowing how to present that kind of show, she has as much experience as Harris at least, and probably a lot more than LeBlanc (coming from a straight "acting" role) and Evans (mainly having done "talk show" formats).

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I like the TG crew dumping on electrics because the Internet is obsessed with them being perfect.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Was just watching the segment where Jeremy and James drive Peugeots around. loving hilarious. Then the next thing on was the first new episode and I changed the channel as soon as Chris Evans started yelling.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

jamal posted:

Was just watching the segment where Jeremy and James drive Peugeots around. loving hilarious.

Honestly the old show seemed to have realistic problems with electric cars. The fact that beyond Tesla they have no range and burn through power like nothing else.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sbaldrick posted:

Honestly the old show seemed to have realistic problems with electric cars. The fact that beyond Tesla they have no range and burn through power like nothing else.
Also, Clarkson loved the i8, so it's not like they stick their fingers in their ears and say "lalalalala" as soon as something turns up without an internal combustion powerplant.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Also, Clarkson loved the i8, so it's not like they stick their fingers in their ears and say "lalalalala" as soon as something turns up without an internal combustion powerplant.

Yeah, the vibe I always got was "yes, electric is the future, but presently, the state of electric cars and the driving of is largely crappy. "

And it's really not an inaccurate assessment, even now there's a lot of bugs and infrastructure building to deal with in that corner of the industry.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

jamal posted:

Was just watching the segment where Jeremy and James drive Peugeots around. loving hilarious.

Easily one of the best episodes ever.

I puckered so hard when they bumped into the brick of the house at the end.

That and Richard Hammond Rescue in Canada with the Velociraptor and GMC 2500HD are easily two of my favorites. And Hammond strapped to the top of acrobatic airplane.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This episode of TGUS was really good. I'm glad History Channel is giving them a chance because they are getting into their stride now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tide posted:

That and Richard Hammond Rescue in Canada with the Velociraptor and GMC 2500HD are easily two of my favorites. And Hammond strapped to the top of acrobatic airplane.

IN THE COCK :rock:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cojawfee posted:

Matt wouldn't know about the old British cars, Chris would be screaming something he had someone write down for him, Sabine wouldn't know anything about old British cars, and Eddie would be too busy being an incompetent bumblefuck to realize he'd been relegated to some mode of transport that kept him far away from everyone else.

What should happen is Matt drives some idiosyncratic American piece of trash, Sabine does the same for some weird German historical curiosity, and Evens gets fired out of a cannon into the sun and replaced by someone who could do a decent job in a weird old British car.

Fake Edit: Make it Lewis Hamilton, just to see him be a petulant baby in some piece of poo poo English car, getting his rear end kicked by the other two.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PT6A posted:

Fake Edit: Make it Lewis Hamilton, just to see him be a petulant baby in some piece of poo poo English car, getting his rear end kicked by the other two.

"Come on guys, Sabine and Matt's cars aren't breaking down."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

PT6A posted:

What should happen is Matt drives some idiosyncratic American piece of trash, Sabine does the same for some weird German historical curiosity, and Evens gets fired out of a cannon into the sun and replaced by someone who could do a decent job in a weird old British car.

I dunno Lewis is probably used to being beaten by Germans by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Amused me a little:

TG gets used as an analogy for the EU referendum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTZbBidNyT4

(3mins in, if you don't want the preamble)