Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
MSG is fine. No reason to fret over it as opposed to using soy, fish sauce, tomatoes, hard cheeses, nori, or any of the other sources of free glutamate. And it's not going to cover up bad ingredients any more than adding any of the things I just listed will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SubG posted:

MSG is fine. No reason to fret over it as opposed to using soy, fish sauce, tomatoes, hard cheeses, nori, or any of the other sources of free glutamate. And it's not going to cover up bad ingredients any more than adding any of the things I just listed will.

This is the main reason I don't use it. I have two different brands of fish sauce I use regularly and I buy the ~fancy~ soy sauce (Pearl River Bridge Premium), and that about covers my salty-umami needs for the handful of Asian recipes I actually know how to cook.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is the main reason I don't use it. I have two different brands of fish sauce I use regularly and I buy the ~fancy~ soy sauce (Pearl River Bridge Premium), and that about covers my salty-umami needs for the handful of Asian recipes I actually know how to cook.
You should be using fish sauce in other places too, e.g. pretty much any tomato sauce.

But there are plenty of places where you might want a little MSG where soy or fish sauce would be out of place---gravies, soups, breadings, and so on. I mean you don't have to use MSG in them or anything. But it's really like adding a little extra salt---sometimes you taste what you have and it just needs a little push. If you find yourself using a shitload of the stuff you really need to take a step back and take a look at the fundamentals, but there's no shame in using a dash of the stuff if a dish happens to need it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Let's discuss what's really important. Extra chunky peanut butter is the best and creamy is made for picky eaters and children. This is a well documented scientifically proven fact.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I like MSG on my eggs and like to use it for fun if I am not using any natural sources.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Croatoan posted:

Let's discuss what's really important. Extra chunky peanut butter is the best and creamy is made for picky eaters and children. This is a well documented scientifically proven fact.

Fight me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Croatoan posted:

I respect your opinion, much like I respect the opinion of Flat Earthers.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What else do people like half processed?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My idea nut butter would be to find one that is without added sugar, but still has salt in it, and will not separate and require stirring every time I want a cracker with some peanut butter on it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bongwizzard posted:

My idea nut butter would be to find one that is without added sugar, but still has salt in it, and will not separate and require stirring every time I want a cracker with some peanut butter on it.

Put the jar in the fridge when you're done mixing it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hopper posted:

Nice find. Over here you only find it in giant plastic bags in Asian food stores.

Where are you? I see "Accent Flavor Enhancer" (MSG) all over the place near the salt / spices.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Food Therapy Friday ended up spanning the weekend--hit farmer's markets Saturday for some South Carolina peaches and made peach jam, then let it set for a bit, and Monday night I made porkchops in a peach jam/white wine/thyme/ginger glaze and brie-filled croissants to put the jam straight from the jar on.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Where are you? I see "Accent Flavor Enhancer" (MSG) all over the place near the salt / spices.

Germany. I meant a pack that literally says MSG though. I am sure there are loads of flavour enhancers e.g. Maggie, but they would never advertise it as pure MSG. Most people would not buy that. MSG has a fairly bad rep over here. Mostly due to the cancer and healthiness debate.
I also prefer fish sauce, Worcestershire or similar ingredients to boost the flavour, while technically the same, it seems more natural to me than to add some chemical crystals to my food, but that's subjective opinion.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hopper posted:

Germany. I meant a pack that literally says MSG though. I am sure there are loads of flavour enhancers e.g. Maggie, but they would never advertise it as pure MSG. Most people would not buy that. MSG has a fairly bad rep over here. Mostly due to the cancer and healthiness debate.
I also prefer fish sauce, Worcestershire or similar ingredients to boost the flavour, while technically the same, it seems more natural to me than to add some chemical crystals to my food, but that's subjective opinion.
How do you feel about salt?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Hopper posted:

How do you think they make MSG powder?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

They science it!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Croatoan posted:

They science it!
A surprising number of `chemical crystals' produced on industrial scales are in fact bacteria poo poo. That is, you find a bacteria that'll eat sugar and poo poo out the thing you're interested in (or a precursor to it) and just let nature take its course.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

SubG posted:

A surprising number of `chemical crystals' produced on industrial scales are in fact bacteria poo poo. That is, you find a bacteria that'll eat sugar and poo poo out the thing you're interested in (or a precursor to it) and just let nature take its course.

Truly, we live in the future. That's the stuff of scifi, and it's real.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SubG posted:

Is that how they make creamy peanut butter? That stuff is gross.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

MSG is cool and good, I also use fish sauce and what not. Like lets say I want to cook my salmon super crispy, and its a really oily and fatty salmon. I will use MSG as it crisps better.

Also, crunchy peanut butter is clearly the superior peanut butter. Unless you just really hate texture, you autistic fucks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Secret Spoon posted:

MSG is cool and good, I also use fish sauce and what not. Like lets say I want to cook my salmon super crispy, and its a really oily and fatty salmon. I will use MSG as it crisps better.

Also, crunchy peanut butter is clearly the superior peanut butter. Unless you just really hate texture, you autistic fucks.

I hate texture, and I hate you. :colbert:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Croatoan posted:

Is that how they make creamy peanut butter?

:golfclap:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Secret Spoon posted:

Smooth and buttery is a texture. And a good one at that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Secret Spoon posted:

How's that work and how much msg do you use?

Crunchy peanutbutter 5eva

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think all varieties and textures of nut butters are pretty much awesome in their own way.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Put the jar in the fridge when you're done mixing it.

Also unacceptable. I don't care what chemical it takes to keep it homogenized, but I want my salty nut butter to flow free.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Also unacceptable. I don't care what chemical it takes to keep it homogenized, but I want my salty nut butter to flow free.

This is why Jif et. al add saturated fats back into their peanut butter to begin with. Normal vegetable oil being unsaturated is liquid at room temperature, you can't have one without the other.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bongwizzard posted:

Palm oil, usually. Dreadfully unsustainable deforesting palm oil. We have found an excellent peanut butter here that is PO free and hardly separated if bought fresh.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I made peanut butter once for a recipe. It came out burnt and too thick for human consumption. Drying cement with a hint of burning is not a good taste or texture for peanut butter.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

MrSlam posted:

I made peanut butter once for a recipe. It came out burnt and too thick for human consumption. Drying cement with a hint of burning is not a good taste or texture for peanut butter.

How? Isn't it just ground peanuts? How did it get burned?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Esme posted:

How? Isn't it just ground peanuts? How did it get burned?

I roasted the peanuts ahead of time. They were fine when they were just peanuts but somewhere along the line roasted peanut butter turned into dark tarry peanut butter.

I think either it was too much flavor for one recipe or I wasn't diligent enough in removing all the skins which added the burned flavor.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hopper posted:

Nice find. Over here you only find it in giant plastic bags in Asian food stores.
What's your stance on MSG? In my opinion it is a no-go. I don't know or care whether it is carcinogenic but MSG makes it possible to enhance the flavour of inferior products to mask that you skimped on ingredient quality. Even though you can usually tell it has been used from the taste.

I legit have a 1lb can of MSG in my pantry. I have a separate (small) salt shaker type thing labelled MSG sitting right next to the salt, back, & white pepper right next to my stove.

You have to have a light touch to use it properly, and yeah you can totally tell when a dish has a lot of MSG in it, but if you use it properly and in the right dishes, it can totally do some next level poo poo to your cooking. As can fish sauce or whatever, but I keep a bottle of fish sauce next to my stove too. pure MSG I tend to put in meat stews or marinades for meat, if I'm cooking vegetables or making a salad dressing or something, I'll never do pure MSG, always fish sauce.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

My first guess would probably be sodium citrate, but I'm not sure how it would act in such a low-water environment.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Since I researched it a year ago, here's a brief MSG safetychat effortpost

Executive summary- it's harmless in humans in any normal setting, you'd have to be completely insane with it to even theoretically hurt someone. The best evidence anyone could find for an effect was still anecdotal, unblinded, and required people to eat whole grams of MSG, raw, at once.

The only reason there's even remotely a belief it causes problems in the US is because of the following reasons:

1. Labeling feedback effects. When more people believed that MSG could hurt you/was a way of hiding cheap foods/was cheating/could incude or reduce satiety, food manufacturers began labeling their stuff as "MSG-free". It was a bit like gluten labeling- you did it even if it made no sense. Many labels still carry the statement, and thus people see them and think there's a reason they're there.
2. Foreign markets. Some false beliefs about nutrition and health are, incredibly, even more prevalent overseas than in the US. Immigrant populations (particularly from Europe as far as I could tell) are a renewable source of concerns about MSG. Maybe there's a labeling regime difference in the EU- I'd need to check.
3. John Olney. A moderately famous medical researcher from the 60s-70s who did some important work on neurotoxicity and forms of brain damage. Like any number of successful scientists, he developed fringey policy beliefs later in his career and wanted much tighter restrictions on a bunch of food additives that contain/are amino acids that in any way interact with the nervous system, including aspartame (potentially legitimate because of the phenylalanine/PKU issue, though that's not his rationale) and MSG. This was mostly because these substances can have harmful effects in rodent, and in some cases, monkey, model studies. This article represents pretty much the tail end of the debate in the sciences, by my reckoning. People have mostly moved on, but Olney was influential, so it will still be awhile before the position is entirely forgotten.

There is a plausible harm mechanism here for those who are interested. This is because MSG is an amino acid and a number of amino acids can, in theory, with a sufficient dose, basically overstimulate the brain, causing neuron death. This is what happened in the mouse and primate studies Olney did, which is why he developed a strong opposition to MSG. But note that this isn't new There are a ton of food ingredients that can do massive damage to humans, at way smaller doses. The only cautionary lesson to possibly take from this is to not do cinnamon-challenge style dare binges of individual flavorants, especially natural ones. A bunch of them can cause very harmful effects eaten alone in nutty megadoses.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 22, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Palm oil, usually. Dreadfully unsustainable deforesting palm oil. We have found an excellent peanut butter here that is PO free and hardly separated if bought fresh.

I would murder a panda like quarterly if that would assure my PB perfection, but let me know what brand you found.

bartolimu posted:

My first guess would probably be sodium citrate, but I'm not sure how it would act in such a low-water environment.

I have some SC, but I have no idea how to incorporate it into the peanut butter. I don't know if my immersion blender is up to the task. My current favorite is the Wegmans house brand of "natural" PB, it is on point for flavor, does not separate too badly, but is just a little too thin for cracker use

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

How do you feel about salt?

Salt is harvested from the sea or from mines, it naturally occurs in a concentrated form, it is not a synthesized crystal, which is what I ment by "chemical crystal".

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Honestly, no idea, but I assume it is either synthesized from other compounds or produced large scale by bacteria and then crystallized.

Personally just prefer ingredients that enhance the flavour and are "made naturally" instead, same as I would rather use real vanilla or vanilla extract (real vanilla pod aroma extracted into an alcohol) than vanilla aroma that is either synthesized from other chemical compounds or shat out by bacteria. Yes it is the same moldecule but it is not "natural".

This is not something I think is better or "the right way", just a thing I do when I cook and can decide what goes in my food.
I will eat anything somebody cooks for me that contains MSG without blinking, except in those terrible "Asian" restaurants over here where you start salivating on the front porch and can smell the typical MSG-aroma a mile away.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hopper posted:

I would rather use real vanilla or vanilla extract (real vanilla pod aroma extracted into an alcohol) than vanilla aroma that is either synthesized from other chemical compounds or shat out by bacteria. Yes it is the same moldecule but it is not "natural".

Artificial flavors like vanilla have some of the same flavor compounds as real vanilla, but the real thing has more flavor compounds and has a different and more complex flavor, generally speaking. That's the reason most prefer real vanilla.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Hopper posted:

except in those terrible "Asian" restaurants over here where you start salivating on the front porch and can smell the typical MSG-aroma a mile away.

No dude, that's called fryer grease and sugar. That's what you're smelling.

Also lol at the "shat out by bacteria" bit. Do you know what fermentation is at all?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

There is a plausible harm mechanism here for those who are interested.
And it's worth pointing out that this applies to glutamate, not MSG per se.

Hopper posted:

Salt is harvested from the sea or from mines, it naturally occurs in a concentrated form, it is not a synthesized crystal, which is what I ment by "chemical crystal".
It doesn't occur naturally in the form in which it is consumed. That's why you don't have a bottle of seawater in your cupboard.

I mean you're entitled to whatever food rituals you want, don't let me stop you. But unless you're pulling your own salt out of the ground or have your own drying beds---or maybe if you buy only hippy-dippy organic free range salt or whatever the gently caress---the salt you're using has been processed by being milled and dissolved (whether it was originally solid or dried from seawater) centrifuged or chemically treated to separate impurities, then has had additives added---anti-caking agents, iodine, and so on---before being dried, then milled again and sized.

Which, as it turns out, looks more or less like what you have to do to a batch of glutamic acid produced by bacteria in order to yield a bunch of crystalized MSG. And, you know, the glutamate in MSG is literally the same molecule that's in your `natural' fish sauce, soy, tomatoes, mushrooms, and so on. It's not like C5H8NO4 comes in one version with an `natural' label stenciled on the side and another with a `synthetic' label. It's literally identically the same molecule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yes but chemicals