Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PBS Newshour posted:

SuperMechaGodzilla what is your origin story?

I am eternal. I am destroyer.

Neurolimal posted:

IIRC there's a private wikispace where he/someone else records and categorizes his posts. I only know this because someone else linked and talked about it in a GBS thread.

Link.

Also: Shmi, Dex, Jango, Jar Jar, the Lars family, every droid... What these characters all have in common is that they are lower-class, not 'foreigners', and not Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
http://supermechagodzillaposts.blogspot.com/

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't bother to save or bookmark it. Sorry.

quote:

Also: Shmi, Dex, Jango, Jar Jar, the Lars family, every droid... What these characters all have in common is that they are lower-class, not 'foreigners', and not Jedi.

Dexter is a weird 50's space-racist, Jar Jar speaks in a wacky rastafarian caricature of a voice, the droids have very few lines, most of them with their own quirks (Roger Roger), Jango is just as stilted and weird as the rest in his one real conversational scene, Shmi has very little time in either film, most of it feeling the hots for Qui-Gon and talking about how Anakin is a miracle.

What they have in common is that they have lines with strange quirks to justify their delivery or exposition, and with few strongly emotive scenes that would require more vocal skill than your typical Jack-Of-All-Trades style VA.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

Dexter is a weird 50's space-racist, Jar Jar speaks in a wacky rastafarian caricature of a voice, the droids have very few lines, most of them with their own quirks (Roger Roger), Jango is just as stilted and weird as the rest in his one real conversational scene, Shmi has very little time in either film, most of it feeling the hots for Qui-Gon and talking about how Anakin is a miracle.

What they have in common is that they have lines with strange quirks to justify their delivery or exposition, and with few strongly emotive scenes that would require more vocal skill than your typical Jack-Of-All-Trades style VA.

I threw in the foreigner Jar Jar to see if you would detect and isolate him, so good job there. But it seems you've set the sensitivity too high, and the madness is setting in - hallucinating 'abnormalities' in the speech patterns of every character.

Dex the character is a racist, but he doesn't have a 'racist voice'. There's no such thing.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Everything and everything about the prequels is trash for babies and if you disagree you are literally mentally handicapped

and have bad taste

:hfive:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I threw in the foreigner Jar Jar to see if you would detect and isolate him, so good job there. But it seems you've set the sensitivity too high, and the madness is setting in - hallucinating 'abnormalities' in the speech patterns of every character.

Dex the character is a racist, but he doesn't have a 'racist voice'. There's no such thing.

I'm glad we've returned to the "people who dont relate to Jar Jar are racist" argument. Thats the only comment this post merits.

Water Sheep
Jan 6, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

I'm glad we've returned to the "people who dont relate to Jar Jar are racist" argument. Thats the only comment this post merits.

The point of Jar Jar is that he is hard to relate to. And you shouldn't need to "relate" to someone to treat them with dignity.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

Ok all bullshit aside how does anyone relate to Jar Jar?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Water Sheep posted:

The point of Jar Jar is that he is hard to relate to. And you shouldn't need to "relate" to someone to treat them with dignity.

So you agree with me that Jar Jar does not work as a normal barometer to compare the rest of the casts' acting to. Which is what the argument is about.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phi230 posted:

For starters, it's not bullshit. Lucas specifically made the character an alien, in the specific sense that he is (unlike the wrinkly-forehead humans of Star Trek) difficult to tolerate.

He is not like us. He speaks wrong, his ears are too big, etc. The same logic behind why Bishop in Aliens is given a very bad haircut.

What the logic of racism obscures is that Jar Jar is one of the smartest characters in the series. He drops his screwdriver and shocks himself when helping to build an experimental hover-racecar, which distracts many people from the fact that he's helping to build an experimental hover-racecar. Jar Jar consistently calls the Jedi out on their bullshit, from the very first scene, and goes from car theif to senator in less than a decade. He is the protagonist of Episode 1.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 22, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

He's an outcast.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jar Jar Binks is clumsy, but he is loyal, courageous, pragmatic, and the idealist to whom other idealists look for inspiration. There's no length to which he won't go for his friends, even if it means doing things that would have been unimaginable earlier in his life. He brings people together, making fast allies of sworn enemies. He remains humble and down-to-earth even as his great deeds elevate him in rank and prestige.

A couple of stuck-up space travelers on an urgent mission crash-land on his planet and he gets caught up in their cause. His plainspoken insight cuts straight through complex dilemmas and leads to the burial of ancient grudges. By the end he's hailed as a hero for his instrumental role in winning a battle for the survival of multiple peoples.

More directly, he's one of the most emotive major characters in the trilogy, exceeded only by Palpatine (one of whose dual identities is as reserved and formal as the rest of the court). When he's happy, he jumps and whoops for joy. When he sees something neat, he points at it and goes "Ooh." When he's sad, his face and body droop. Gratitude, embarrassment, panic - even skepticism at weird alien religions.

He's Luke Skywalker viewed from above and from the outside. His portrayal amplifies the provincial accent, unmannerly bearing, naivete, and general fish-out-of-water comedy routine that were absent from Mark Hamill's earlier depiction of an ignorant backwater hayseed. If there's a bright center to the universe, it's the Jedi Temple.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

http://supermechagodzillaposts.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/smg_ebooks

The blog was pretty lazy about it.

quote:

The same logic behind why Bishop in Aliens is given a very bad haircut.

That's a fun contrast with Michael Fassbender in Prometheus, come to think of it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

Jar Jar Binks is clumsy, but he is loyal, courageous, pragmatic, and the idealist to whom other idealists look for inspiration. There's no length to which he won't go for his friends, even if it means doing things that would have been unimaginable earlier in his life. He brings people together, making fast allies of sworn enemies. He remains humble and down-to-earth even as his great deeds elevate him in rank and prestige.

A couple of stuck-up space travelers on an urgent mission crash-land on his planet and he gets caught up in their cause. His plainspoken insight cuts straight through complex dilemmas and leads to the burial of ancient grudges. By the end he's hailed as a hero for his instrumental role in winning a battle for the survival of multiple peoples.

More directly, he's one of the most emotive major characters in the trilogy, exceeded only by Palpatine (one of whose dual identities is as reserved and formal as the rest of the court). When he's happy, he jumps and whoops for joy. When he sees something neat, he points at it and goes "Ooh." When he's sad, his face and body droop. Gratitude, embarrassment, panic - even skepticism at weird alien religions.

He's Luke Skywalker viewed from above and from the outside. His portrayal amplifies the provincial accent, unmannerly bearing, naivete, and general fish-out-of-water comedy routine that were absent from Mark Hamill's earlier depiction of an ignorant backwater hayseed. If there's a bright center to the universe, it's the Jedi Temple.

Quite right.

The part to focus on is Neurolimal's assertion in that Jar Jar "speaks in a wacky rastafarian caricature of a voice" and is therefore abnormal.

What's crucial is how Neuro's opinion that Jar Jar is subhuman is displaced onto the mysterious figure of 'George Lucas'. And, consequently, 'Lucas' serves as a 'subject supposed to believe' - a subject supposed to be racist, in this case.

Effectively: "I don't believe Jar Jar is subhuman, but I imagine that 'Lucas' does. Therefore I believe that Jar Jar is subhuman."

If you're seeking to combat 'Rastafarian caricatures', the first thing is to understand that the caricature is a real person. You're lost if you presume people with silly accents don't exist because 'real people' talk white.

This is directly related to this issue of childhood, because many nerds perceive maturity as a costume that you wear - something you pretend to be. You often get this great spectacle of rejecting media designated 'for kids', when actual maturity is not in what you consume, but in your own act of reading. Can you watch Snow White, and understand it better than a child does? That's a true challenge. To say 'Snow White is for retards' is an unquestionable failure, an admission that you will never surpass a child.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 22, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-prequels-miniatures/2/

A lot of the stuff people complain about being CGI isn't even CGI.

The movie does look a little unusual, probably due to technical constraints - certain combined shots do look oddly flat and blurry. In camera shot selection and composition is fine, the technology for compositing and stuff just didn't quite seem to be where it needed to be. I'd call it well shot, overall.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is loving creepy and the person who made it should really re-evaluate their life choices.

What a sad sack.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Rogue One info hitting ew.com today, in conjunction with a cover story in the magazine.

http://www.ew.com/gallery/star-wars-rogue-one-characters

Interesting about Whitaker: "This character has a past that Star Wars completists will recognize immediately when they see his name, even if he looks very different than the way they've seen him elsewhere."

Former EU character now incorporated back into canon, possibly with a race/age change? I've also seen a theory that he might be Panaka?

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 22, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Panaka did sell out Anakin and Padme to Palpatine (according to side-materials of the time), so it would fit well with Whitaker's "What will you become" speech.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe he's Hondo, that would be awesome.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

If he's Hondo, the story group is going to get a lot of poo poo from it, and justifiably so, since Hondo was a different species in two other canon series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What does Hondo appear in other than Clone Wars? Did he pop up in Rebels?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Basebf555 posted:

What does Hondo appear in other than Clone Wars? Did he pop up in Rebels?

Yup. And he is the best.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Darth Maul obviously

I think the text for the robot's name is K-2SO

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 22, 2016

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

This is loving creepy and the person who made it should really re-evaluate their life choices.

What a sad sack.

Or he is an SMG admirer, trying to share some of the best posts to an audience outside of SA? :)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

well why not posted:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-prequels-miniatures/2/

A lot of the stuff people complain about being CGI isn't even CGI.

The movie does look a little unusual, probably due to technical constraints - certain combined shots do look oddly flat and blurry. In camera shot selection and composition is fine, the technology for compositing and stuff just didn't quite seem to be where it needed to be. I'd call it well shot, overall.

Some day Disney is going to put out a Special Edition of the prequels where they redo all the CGI and recomposite all the live action elements, find some more naturalistic takes, reedit large sequences, remove things that fans have complained about, etc.

It'll make all the prequel haters reevaluate them to some degree, and piss off all the prequel lovers. I can't wait.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Or he is an SMG admirer, trying to share some of the best posts to an audience outside of SA? :)

My favourite (screw u SwiftKey that word doesn't need a 'u') was the guy who copied one of his posts about Man of Steel to imgur & got a ton of up votes or whatever the imgur rating metric us.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whitaker is Saw Gerrera, who appeared in the Clone Wars series:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/22/star-wars-rogue-one-forest-whitaker-character

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Saw_Gerrera

Really happy about that, and what is means for the true cohesiveness of the new canon. Only real nitpick would be the eye color, but that's no biggie when it comes to cartoon stylization.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 22, 2016

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Some day Disney is going to put out a Special Edition of the prequels where they redo all the CGI and recomposite all the live action elements, find some more naturalistic takes, reedit large sequences, remove things that fans have complained about, etc.

It'll make all the prequel haters reevaluate them to some degree, and piss off all the prequel lovers. I can't wait.

If they don't ever make the original prequels available, will the Special Edition complainers keep up their same vehement insistence on film preservation?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

We already agree but goddamn this is a savagely good post

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Teek posted:

Whitaker is Saw Gerrera, who appeared in the Clone Wars series:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/22/star-wars-rogue-one-forest-whitaker-character

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Saw_Gerrera

Really happy about that, and what is means for the true cohesiveness of the new canon. Only real nitpick would be the eye color, but that's no biggie when it comes to cartoon stylization.

Yeah, this is fantastic news. I was really afraid the "Its all one continuity" thing would be all lipservice and no action...but I've never been happier to be proven wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It is lipservice. Simply having minor characters share a name or whatever doesn't impact the story at all.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Completely ignoring the fact the story appears to be playing up that's he's one of the terrorist striking rebels (i.e. ends justify the means), an extension of his character in Clone Wars? And the fact that he's a terrorist appears to be central to his character?

The "freedom fighter" VS "terrorist" aspect of fighting a rebellion, and what one sees as legitimate targets. The article talks about how the threat of the Death Star starts bringing all these various rebel factions together, who are operating with different tactics.

I could see that argument if we were talking about how Lucas brought in Aayla Secura for Attack of the Clones, since she was background filler with no lines. This character though has an actual "character" to play and dialogue.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 22, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If the name "Saw Gerrera" doesn't mean anything to you and you watched Clone Wars, here is a pic of him and his sister, who you might remember more than him:

If you still got nothin, he's one of the terrorists the Jedis secretly train on Onderon (which is not the same thing as Alderaan) to blow things up (like the power station) and kick Dooku's guys out. It's also the arc where Dooku brings the new model of droid general that still fails like every other droid ever. Not before Saw causes his sister to become a Hollywood cliff victim though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oau6xVgCXkA

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Teek posted:

Completely ignoring the fact the story appears to be playing up that's he's one of the terrorist striking rebels (i.e. ends justify the means), an extension of his character in Clone Wars? And the fact that he's a terrorist appears to be central to his character?

The "freedom fighter" VS "terrorist" aspect of fighting a rebellion, and what one sees as legitimate targets. The article talks about how the threat of the Death Star starts bringing all these various rebel factions together, who are operating with different tactics.

Here's a pretty easy way to tell if the continuity is impacting the story: do you need to watch the cartoon to understand the movie?

You don't, because they'll explain anything they need to in the movie. So the continuity is just lipservice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You don't, because they'll explain anything they need to in the movie. So the continuity is just lipservice.

I'm thinking we'll be told that his sister was killed, but I doubt we'll be given every detail about the exact circumstances. So that's not just lipservice, if fans want to get the full story they have to go watch Clone Wars.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here's a pretty easy way to tell if the continuity is impacting the story: do you need to watch the cartoon to understand the movie?

I got some lipservice for you. Unzip your pants.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

It is lipservice. Simply having minor characters share a name or whatever doesn't impact the story at all.

I think you may have missed something....this is just another character with the name Saw Gerrera...this is the same Saw from Clone Wars; same character, not just same name.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
That was a drat terrible arc of cw though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
He's probably going to be like Gwendolin Christie's character in Mockingjay 2 where she appears for about 5 minutes to do some exposition about whatever rebel attack they're about to do, then leaves and is never seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ShineDog posted:

That was a drat terrible arc of cw though.

Yeah, it was painful.

• Locked thread