Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

NeurosisHead posted:

Purged the rolls for anyone inactive over 3 months for DCJ invited @turk1701. If anyone else wants in on the ground floor of rebuilding the deconstruction circle jerk, post here!

Could you invite @CuddlyZombie, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
RE: Dungeons. I'm doing them through the dungeon finder at level 28. It feels like the tuning's a bit out of whack though. Should I do them later on you think? They seem neat, just a real slog.

Also I'm pretty sure this mage's quest is implying Valaste has dyslexia which is why she feels so isolated and frustrated. That's far more :smith: than some actual, magical malady.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

Purged the rolls for anyone inactive over 3 months for DCJ invited @turk1701. If anyone else wants in on the ground floor of rebuilding the deconstruction circle jerk, post here!

Thanks a bunch. Will start to craft up some lower level stuff for people to deconstruct.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Just did the Shad Astula quests in Deshaan and briefly had hope that the ridiculous hyperbole and hammy acting of the archmage there was the start of the games writing finally poking fun at itself. Of course, it didn't, and this complete stranger who monologued at length about his incredible visions about me and my extremely important destiny in saving them from a threat they should have known about and neutralized already was supposed to have been taken seriously from the beginning.

I'm getting increasingly disappointed in the games writing. There is zero subtlety. Characterization mainly consists of funny accents and speech patterns. There is no humor. The Nords desperately need a new insult other than calling someone a "milk-drinker". Every fortified location has a secret tunnel everyone suddenly remembers when you show up, and every enemy leader has a ridiculously convoluted plan to win a battle with an obvious and fatal flaw, instead of just, you know, using their superior strength, resources, and numbers to overwhelm their own enemies.

I suppose The Secret World has spoiled me on how good an MMOs story can be. No one would call WoW's writing particularly mature or engaging, but at least it doesn't take itself seriously. I enjoy ESO mechanically and love wandering around the beautiful world, but having these great character models and fully voice-acted dialogue seems like a real missed opportunity when the writing is so weak.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I've heard the DLC storylines are significantly better but that could have been sarcasm, I can't tell.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

The Aldmeri Dominion story line felt fine, but then, you get to totally hang out with the Queen and be her best bud.

I had the same issues with those quests as you. Honestly, the only quests I've enjoyed were on the AD side. I thought the ones for the dunmer were all pretty dumb.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I've heard the DLC storylines are significantly better but that could have been sarcasm, I can't tell.
Orsinium is ok, Thieves' Guild is good and Dark Brotherhood I have to finish so I can't say yet.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

poptart_fairy posted:

RE: Dungeons. I'm doing them through the dungeon finder at level 28. It feels like the tuning's a bit out of whack though. Should I do them later on you think? They seem neat, just a real slog.

Also I'm pretty sure this mage's quest is implying Valaste has dyslexia which is why she feels so isolated and frustrated. That's far more :smith: than some actual, magical malady.

You find out what's up with Valaste eventually.

It sounds like it is your pugs re:dungeons. With a few exceptions, most of the dungeons on normal should be a real breeze.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's rare, but I've had amazing pub groups for randoms. Like, last one was, maybe, 30-60 seconds slower than wrecking crew. At the end, all of us stood there until the tank went "sooooooo, is it just me or?" and we all had a good laugh because all four of us did amazingly and it had never happened to any of us before. :v:

And it'll never happen again!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

radintorov posted:

Orsinium is ok, Thieves' Guild is good and Dark Brotherhood I have to finish so I can't say yet.

DB's storyline is interesting. It presents a basic narrative of the Dark Brotherhood being it's usual generically assholish/evil self but a lot of the really interesting stuff that changes the story is hidden in books. It's basically an example on why the Dark Brotherhood is loving awful and destroys lives. Not just the ones that get murdered by the so called "hunters" but also the hunters themselves.

Lyra really wasn't cut out for the life of a ruthless murderer. Her last entry is just condensed depression and frustration at how things turned out and how she's been jerked around by a bunch of overly ambitious sociopaths using religion to get her to kill for them her entire life. Worse still, rather than getting some sort of closure like in most stories she gets a really nasty death/gets a fate worse than death before she can sort herself out.

The whole thing comes off more as depressing as hell than "Oh yeah, I killed the bad guy!". Certainly can't say it's a bad story though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 22, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the only way to reroll stats and skills cash shop? Not a huge deal but I feel like I probably hosed up. People in chat seem to be saying that you should be going all in on a stat but I've kinda been throwing my points semi evenly between the three.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Apparently you can reset it for 100g a point at a shrine in your faction capital.

I know I need it with how indecisive I am about how I want to play.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is the only way to reroll stats and skills cash shop? Not a huge deal but I feel like I probably hosed up. People in chat seem to be saying that you should be going all in on a stat but I've kinda been throwing my points semi evenly between the three.
At your faction capital (Elden Root/Wayrest/Mournhold) you can find 3 shrines: one is the shrine of Mara you can find also in the first city of the first zone (Vulkhel Guard/Daggerfall/Davon's Watch), while the other two allow you to respec your attribute points and the other allows you to either respec all skill points spent or just reset any morphed skill you may have.
Never, ever, EVER purchase the cash shop respec.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Never purchase any of the "utility" items from the crown store really, like respecs, werewolf/vampire bites, crown consumables, etc. Those are all there for people with honestly more money than sense and require very little in-game time to get.

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010

PureRok posted:

The Aldmeri Dominion story line felt fine, but then, you get to totally hang out with the Queen and be her best bud.

Seconding this. Daggerfall covenent was inoffensive but incredibly dull, Lizard pact had twilight fanfic levels of writing. My new AD Elfguy has made me actually read quest text for the first time. There has been plot twists which I didn't immediately see coming (which is a first for this game), and although every single unbeatable fortress still has a secret passage, the characters and story are interesting enough for me not to mind.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I want believable story and excellent writing in my game where I can dismount a flaming battle-cat to stab a lizard person to death with a magic pickaxe

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Morrowind Argonians: Chill my friend, we are peaceful. Smoke some and lay back while we talk this out. :)

Shadowfen Argonians: RIP OUT THEIR loving HEART AND FEED IT TO THE BEASTS :black101:

The lizards got pretty hardcore at some point between those two areas.

StoneyAssassin
Feb 19, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Morrowind Argonians: Chill my friend, we are peaceful. Smoke some and lay back while we talk this out. :)

Shadowfen Argonians: RIP OUT THEIR loving HEART AND FEED IT TO THE BEASTS :black101:

The lizards got pretty hardcore at some point between those two areas.

Their skooma supply dried up.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Well for one, the elves are loving with their ritual for hatching new Argonians so it would make sense.

This is why I'm legit excited for Shadows of the Hist. We're gonna see some primal Argonian violence.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Hail Sithis.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Scyantific posted:

primal Argonian violence.

"Gonna get prehistoric on your rear end."

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The farther south you go basically more alien and hostile the Black Marsh gets. The thing to keep in mind is all the Argonians north of Shadowfen are all the ones wanting to get by in non-Black Marsh lands.

The ones in Shadowfen are just the ones who are your allies.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm waiting until level 50 and done with my fraction's story before starting the expansions. Is it better to do them in order or just doesn't matter?

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

jabro posted:

I'm waiting until level 50 and done with my fraction's story before starting the expansions. Is it better to do them in order or just doesn't matter?

I'd say do the thieves guild first, as the skills are really helpful. Particularly for DB, where one might tend to get messy and rack up bounties.. TG and DB skills: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Guild+Skills

e: Actually, you might want to get TG started right away, as it unlocks thieves troves (they are rare and rather meh, but still)

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I'll take an invite to DCJ @Duderclese. Trying to stick to 2 professions as that seems the smartest thing. Looking like Enchanting and Blacksmithing right now.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

valuum posted:

I'd say do the thieves guild first, as the skills are really helpful. Particularly for DB, where one might tend to get messy and rack up bounties.. TG and DB skills: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Guild+Skills

e: Actually, you might want to get TG started right away, as it unlocks thieves troves (they are rare and rather meh, but still)

As long as you own TG you can do Troves. Don't need to start it.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Can i get an invite to the goon guild? @Alaric323

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Plague Doctor outfit! :buddy:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

What? Where?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crown store. "Toxin Doctor" under appearances, 1000 crowns.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

valuum posted:

Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Don't hit me but I'm not impressed by it.

Also, I haven't seen a ton of people running around in them *yet*.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

efb

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

poptart_fairy posted:

gently caress yes.

It's a tiny bit plain (needs more glowey bits) but I'm gonna wear the hell out of it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Wish it were more of a traditional robe rather than a leather chest/pants with the beaked mask.

Also, daily reminder that if you're buying ESO or ESO+/crowns use these. The Steam deal isn't worth it and it uses a custom launcher anyways.

http://www.gamesdeal.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-pc-mac.html (ESO Tamriel Unlimited $11.19)
http://www.gamesdeal.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-60-days-eso-plus-membership-3000-crowns-pc.html (ESO+/3000 crowns for $16.99)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Steam sales haven't been worth it since for-loving-ever now.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Gonna buy you Steam presents to spite you.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I know what I am not doing, which is re-downloading the whole PTS build over the course of eighteen hours or whatever. So if it does drop next week whoever does please post a lot of pictures.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Steam is like Costco. People are so used to good deals they don't price check and just buy whatever. Raise the prices and no one is none the wiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aramek posted:

Gonna buy you Steam presents to spite you.

In that case, I really fuckin hate fallout 4.

• Locked thread