Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/745332230256459776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

savage

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

anthonypants posted:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/745311041987371008
no fishmech it's the thumbnail for the horrible trailer they made and the prom night thing is in reference to the video also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc

fishrekt

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/745311041987371008
no fishmech it's the thumbnail for the horrible trailer they made and the prom night thing is in reference to the video also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc

so it's a promo image, ya moron

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fishmech posted:

so it's a promo image, ya moron

as somebody who works in marketing that is a cover image, not a promo image. promo images are issued as a discrete element, usually within a press or media kit.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so i guess whether it's a promo image depends on whether you define it by the industry jargon or the layperson's (wrong) understanding

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lolll

somebody needs to rein in their social media intern

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

so i guess whether it's a promo image depends on whether you define it by the industry jargon or the layperson's (wrong) understanding
and i think we all know which of the two our fishmech is

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol this is the guy who makes memes for the sega twitter https://twitter.com/TailsChannel
https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/743945478404923394

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wait, why does sega have people on staff trashtalking random indie-games? seems pretty likely that they are just making GBS threads on the (misguided) dreams of what is likely to be precisely their target audience

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

was consistently making terrible game not putting them out of business quickly enough for their tastes?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

wait, why does sega have people on staff trashtalking random indie-games? seems pretty likely that they are just making GBS threads on the (misguided) dreams of what is likely to be precisely their target audience

sonic has been an edgy smartass since the very beginning

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

they handed over the keys to their twitter account to 20 year olds, because going viral is more important than making a good product (or any product, really) in 2016

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

"Local memelord escapes from basement. Now does some YouTube, Twitch, and Social Media stuff for @sonic_hedgehog at @SEGA! Opinions here are solely my own."

gently caress this gay earth

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GameCube posted:

they handed over the keys to their twitter account to 20 year olds, because going viral is more important than making a good product (or any product, really) in 2016

listen you just can't pay a malaysian clickfarm to bring up subscriber numbers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i mean cmon it's sonic the hedgehog's 25th anniversary and what are they doing about it? jack poo poo. hosed up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duTrieux. posted:

as somebody who works in marketing that is a cover image, not a promo image. promo images are issued as a discrete element, usually within a press or media kit.

glad to hear you work for lovely video games, seems weird to brag about

GameCube posted:

i mean cmon it's sonic the hedgehog's 25th anniversary and what are they doing about it? jack poo poo. hosed up.

sonic 06 was meant to be the big thing for the 15th anniversary and we all know how that turned out. better not to risk it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sega actually has a black-funded project to genetically engineer a super-fast, anthropomorphic intelligent hedgehog. there have been many monsters but soon... soon He will rise and bind the world in a chain of golden rings......

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh cool, ronnie got a job

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GameCube posted:

it's the first sound business decision the sonic franchise has made in like 20 years

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

fishmech posted:

yeah that's making fun of a mighty no 9 promo image that had really lovely fire. it actually is pizza in the sonic one though

still the fire in mighty no 9 looks really fuckin bad and like pizza

edit i watched the trailer again and jesus are those really their selling points? a dash, a scoring system, and powerups. holy poo poo its loving revolutionary

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 22, 2016

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anthonypants posted:

it's the first sound business decision the sonic franchise has made in like 20 years

how does it help their business if they don't make any games to sell? or is everyone who retweets teh meme rushing to the app store to download the sonic endless runner

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they still make total wars and uh something else i think?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GameCube posted:

how does it help their business if they don't make any games to sell? or is everyone who retweets teh meme rushing to the app store to download the sonic endless runner

all their re-releases sell pretty decently

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GameCube posted:

the cart racer will go on sale tomorrow and probably make them a bunch of money

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
is that sonic fishmech

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
has there even been an actual serious sonic game since 2006? it's been all random gimmicky spinoffs like sonic fights with a sword or sonic is a werewolf or sonic runs along weird pipe things

that awful sonic boom thing from last year was close but it's a tie-in to a tv show

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

has there even been an actual serious sonic game since 2006? it's been all weird gimmicky spinoffs like sonic fights with a sword or sonic is a werewolf or sonic runs along weird pipe things

that awful sonic boom thing from last year was close but it's a tie-in to a tv show

colours and generations were apparently the last two good sonics

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Improbable Lobster posted:

colours and generations were apparently the last two good sonics
generations was absolutely a gimmicky spinoff but i forgot about colors

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sham bam bamina! posted:

generations was absolutely a gimmicky spinoff but i forgot about colors

if generations is gimmicky then so is sonic colors

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
well then there you go

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sham bam bamina! posted:

has there even been an actual serious sonic game since 2006? it's been all random gimmicky spinoffs like sonic fights with a sword or sonic is a werewolf or sonic runs along weird pipe things

sonic 4

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this game is almost 2 years overdo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1841885340/tangiers-surrealist-stealth/updates

Ian McLean posted:

have you been to statpedia lately? :)

Ian I like the app. but if it's a stat-"pedia", like an encyclopedia, shouldn't the data be updatable? as it is, is just seems like a graph making tool. i can't even seem to update my own stats.

also, material design is bad.

anyway keep up the good work

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Gus Hobbleton posted:

still the fire in mighty no 9 looks really fuckin bad and like pizza

edit i watched the trailer again and jesus are those really their selling points? a dash, a scoring system, and powerups. holy poo poo its loving revolutionary

Apparently the initial thing was you could dash kill enemies and bosses and gain abilities and upgrades and stuff from them. But $4 million wasn't actually enough to get that feature working, nor was it apparently enough to make a game that could surpass Dust in visuals and mechanics. So due to their budget, they chopped out most of the dash effects and stuck a scoring system instead since the ability steal and parts stealing to create a somewhat custom robot by the end of it.

It's a shame since the original idea was comparatively interesting, and also due to the fact for $4 million they got an iOS game in visuals, while other games like Air Brawl didn't meet their goals, despite having actual decently good playable demos and just needing say $40K to polish it up, add some more content and get it published.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it seems like the game kind of became a vehicle for the show and the whole franchise. perhaps with the justification that "growing the audience" would allow sequels and things, where they could really realize the dream.

that and they had 10 different target platforms. i'm not sure how that goes with UE development. but they even talked about hiring a porting company. i'm not sure if i misunderstood that and they were taking about capcom, but sounded like they hired a porting company and they went over budget.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

PleasureKevin posted:

it seems like the game kind of became a vehicle for the show and the whole franchise. perhaps with the justification that "growing the audience" would allow sequels and things, where they could really realize the dream.

that and they had 10 different target platforms. i'm not sure how that goes with UE development. but they even talked about hiring a porting company. i'm not sure if i misunderstood that and they were taking about capcom, but sounded like they hired a porting company and they went over budget.

ah, the sonic boom route

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bluetooth beacons good for something? :shrug:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
how is that not built on cr2032 and the nRF51822?

cr2450 and nRF52832 are just sliiiiighly off from those staples

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Looks like it's certified to definitely be a beacon by BeaconZone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
tech news that's worth
n0ne

• Locked thread