Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

Well Thurman-Porter sure snuck up on us. I don't even know who to pick. Would have leaned One Time for the past few years but they have both been so inactive -and their last fights unsatisfying in their own ways- that I just have no idea.

Porter is good but limited, he couldn't beat gatekeeper Julio Diaz, and Kell Brook decisively beat him. If Keith Thurman is anywhere near as elite as he is supposed to be, he should also beat Porter fairly decisively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would Keith Thurman beat Kell Brook? I want that fight next regardless of what happens Saturday.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 21, 2016

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

doctor thodt posted:

Would Keith Thurman beat Kell Brook? I want that fight next regardless of what happens Saturday.

They're the 2 best welterweights in the division (assuming Thurman beats Porter). It's a pick 'em fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Where did they dig this Breazeale guy up from to feed to Joshua? His record or calibre doesn't scream world title contender.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He's an Olympic fighter turned pro who's been fighting on pbc for a little while now. He's actually a bit of a hyped prospect over there and was a known fighter before this.

He is bad though.

Wins over Kassi and Mansour would be decent in theory but the actual fights were less inspiring. He got gifted a decision over Kassi and was losing against Mansour before Mansours's jaw/tongue were wrecked. That's obviously a legitimate win, but it seemed a bit fluky and reinforced the idea that his skills leave something to be desired.

He's a live fighter, a decent enough stepping stone for AJ, but this shouldn't be too difficult for Joshua.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope he at least makes a good showing of himself even though he's being brought in to lose. I don't like it when people are blatantly protected.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think pbc is basically giving up Breazeale after he's failed to impress as a prospect. He'll obviously fight to win and he's decently tall/rangy with fair power so I don't think AJ can cruise to round 1 stoppage. All in all, he's a decent pick for Joshua, but not on the same level. If AJ keeps fighting this way this often I really can't complain too much. I think we'll see him with another top dog at the end of this year or the beginning of the next one.

e: I'm a boxing optimist who thought ggg and Canelo would fight this September though

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

AJ could use some stay busy type of stuff though. He still kind of needs to build a market if he wants some of the other big names. No one really knows what is going on inside of Fury's head, he might not be willing to take a fight after this one, and you might argue the same for Klitschko. At the same time, he doesn't have the US connection to necessarily get thrown in there with Wilder/Ortiz (depending on your US network of preference).

I think the biggest fight is Fury, but who knows if he can get that. Wilder would be a decent target, but one of them has to be willing to travel and there is not a huge audience for AJ here yet.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Before either of those he gets Joseph Parker imo. That's his first big fight and it'll bring attention from Aus/NZ and boxing fans worldwide. He probably does that at the beginning of next year. Before that, he'll maybe fight another american prospect or some veteran gatekeeper types. He could rematch Whyte as well. Lots of options with his current popularity

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Cigar Aficionado posted:

They're the 2 best welterweights in the division (assuming Thurman beats Porter). It's a pick 'em fight.

Tim Bradley gets no love.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
God, Thurman and Brook as the best welterweights in the world is just depressing.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

afatwhiteloaf posted:

God, Thurman and Brook as the best welterweights in the world is just depressing.

Tim Bradley is cool, and Errol Spence seems like he might have a very bright near future as well. It's not as amazing as having Pacquiao and Mayweather, but there are worse divisions.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Danny Garcia is a welterweight now :q:

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 21, 2016

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Why? Kell Brook is fringe P4P top 10 and Thurman could be right there with him if he beats Porter. Then you have Bradley, Garcia, Spence, and then guys like Porter, Khan, etc. It's a deep division with a lot of potential good fights to be made.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ozymandius1024 posted:

Tim Bradley gets no love.

Actually, I think you will find Timothy Desert Storm Bradley gets a lot of love in this thread.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

LordPants posted:

Actually, I think you will find Timothy Desert Storm Bradley gets a lot of love in this thread.

He knows a lot about boxing, and usually posts very good OPs.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I thought Canelo was the best welterweight

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I haven't heard any news from TB's camp since the Pacquiao fight btw. No talk of future opponents or anything.

Thurman-Porter is tough to call, both are good boxer-punchers and I think Porter can probably get inside on Thurman. My gut is saying Porter, I don't think he's exceptional but I do think he's been underrated and seems hungrier for the win. Really no outcome will surprise me though, it's a great match to be made.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm picking Thurman personally. I think Thurman's got a higher ceiling than Porter and there's genuinely something special there, but this is kind of the make or break fight for him.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I'd lean Porter myself. I feel like he does well against anyone in the division if he can get inside. Brook didn't let that happen and Porter didn't really have a plan B. I feel like Thurman will be a little too willing and Porter will be able to take advantage of that. I'm excited for it.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'm taking Porter as well.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
team thurman

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Porter looks great against people who shouldn't be at welterweight. ONE TIME baby.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Alright, Canelo/GGG is on for september!!!!!!

2017, verbally

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:|

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I'm sure by then there'll be loads of reasons for canelo to not sign.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boxing :grin:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean now that he doesn't have a belt, Canelo can do whatever he wants and it's true that waiting a year and actually fighting some real middleweights would give him the best chance possible so I get it.

But also, that sucks and he's bad.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean now that he doesn't have a belt, Canelo can do whatever he wants and it's true that waiting a year and actually fighting some real middleweights would give him the best chance possible so I get it.

But also, that sucks and he's bad.

Like others have said before, he's known since November of last year that this fight was a possiblity (before dropping the belt obviously), and yet he still chose to fight a blown up welterweight instead of acclimating to middleweight.

This fight will not happen (not even next year when they say it will) unless GGG gets injured or looks like poo poo in one of his next few fights. I guess the silver lining in all of this is that we don't have to worry about Golovkin sitting around waiting on the fight, and he can actually fight someone in the near future.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ozymandius1024 posted:

Like others have said before, he's known since November of last year that this fight was a possiblity (before dropping the belt obviously), and yet he still chose to fight a blown up welterweight instead of acclimating to middleweight.

Yeah... I'm not saying this snuck up on him, I'm just saying that based on his current situation this gives him the best chance in the fight, which is why he's doing it. I'm mostly just happy he can't call himself a champion now.

ozymandius1024 posted:

This fight will not happen (not even next year when they say it will) unless GGG gets injured or looks like poo poo in one of his next few fights. I guess the silver lining in all of this is that we don't have to worry about Golovkin sitting around waiting on the fight, and he can actually fight someone in the near future.

Yeah IDK, I think Canelo's kind of toasting his legacy and stardom here. He's too big to move back down to Jr Middleweight and by so obviously ducking GGG he's losing a lot of fans. He's still popular obviously but if you look at any of his social medias you see that people are really turning against him for his ducking. I think he's going to reach the point where he can't capture anything back unless he fights GGG.

The best course for him is to somehow snag a fight with Saunders and win another belt.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Saunders isn't exactly tripping over himself to get in the ring with GGG. They could probably make that fight.

Yeah, I remember the presser where Saunders said GGG could beat him and Eubank Jr. in one night. Not sure he will ever be all that interested. Saunders would do well to get in there with Canelo, probably about as big of a payday as you'd hope, and possibly a guy who he could beat technically.

gtkor fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 23, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think GGG's team has outright said that Saunders has completely turned them down

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Time for Gennady to go to 168? :sigh:

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I am not sure that presents a ton of immediate options though either. If I am not mistaken, Ward is planning on staying at 175. Jack and Dirrell bros present promotional challenges. DeGale would be an interesting fight but maybe not an overly exciting one to HBO or the US audience. Abraham and Sturm are both old enough that neither one of them provides much name value to GGG (though both would be decent Monaco options, if he still wants to do those fights I guess).

I think GGG has like 1 or 2 primarily interesting fights at either 160 or 168. The problem is Canelo should be the easiest fight to make. I wouldn't be upset with a DeGale fight myself.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ggg will be over the hill by september 2017 tbh

would love degale vs ggg mind you

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
The state of boxing today that allows arguably the most exciting fighter on the planet to fade into obscurity with no really significant wins is genuinely sad. I hope he gets some rad wars when he's 'past it'.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My new life strategy is to wait for all my rivals to grow old and die

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Fury pulls out of the Wlad rematch. What an awful 24 hours for our UK bros.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/6/24/12024726/tyson-fury-pulls-out-of-wladimir-klitschko-rematch-citing-ankle-injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

I haven't seen it anywhere reputable yet, but there are rumblings that Canelo has agreed to fight Liam Smith on Sept. 17th.

:fuckoff:

• Locked thread