Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fluff, the full analog ones are where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Fluff, the full analog ones are where it's at.

drat straight. Turn it on and set the speed.

They only added the fluff to compete with Ninja.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Croatoan posted:

This is a super duper good deal but it's today only so I hope some of y'all saved in advance. KitchenAid Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 12-Piece Set on sale for $222.99 with free shipping.

https://amzn.com/B01ATSHP0A

drat, I could use me some new pots and pans but I'm trying to save money.

I'll have to give this some thought.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Do I need a juicer if I already have a blender?

I make a lot of smoothies, but want to start making juice to bring with me to work (but would like to avoid buying another gadget if possible). Recipe would be something like an apple, lemon juice, spinach/kale, etc.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

1redflag posted:

I make a lot of smoothies, but want to start making juice to bring with me to work (but would like to avoid buying another gadget if possible). Recipe would be something like an apple, lemon juice, spinach/kale, etc.

You might be able just strain smoothie through a fine filter, but I don't know why you would as juicing fruit removes most of the fiber and some other nutritional goodness

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

Depends on the blender, really. Something like a vitamix or blendtec will blend the fibre/pulp so fine that you won't notice it. Lesser blenders will give more mixed results. And if you're not happy with your blender's ability to deal with the pulp, I would be more inclined to buy a better blender than to buy a juicer.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

FireTora posted:

(blender chat)

tonedef131 posted:

(blender chat)

Finally got my hands on a "cheap" second-hand Blendtec Total Blender. The days of making not-so-smooth-smoothies with a stick blender* have come to a happy end.

*Not by choice, our old random blender broke and it took a while to get a replacement.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Croatoan posted:

This is a super duper good deal but it's today only so I hope some of y'all saved in advance. KitchenAid Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 12-Piece Set on sale for $222.99 with free shipping.

It's here :toot:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

How well does it seal the smoke in? I have a small apartment and fire alarms, but no outdoor space in which to erect a smoker. Also, outdoor smokers are expressly prohibited.

The smoker in action. Hickory smoke. Veggies, extra firm tofu, and some of Mrs. Squashy's scratch made seitan beef.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHCfUdJAQXz/

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Croatoan posted:

So this is still available at about $40 higher than the $222.99 deal - any idea how these compare to the Tramontina tri-ply set? This Kitchenaid set looks good, but glass lids..? I presume that the 500 degree oven safe claim does not apply to the lids?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Glambags posted:

So this is still available at about $40 higher than the $222.99 deal - any idea how these compare to the Tramontina tri-ply set? This Kitchenaid set looks good, but glass lids..? I presume that the 500 degree oven safe claim does not apply to the lids?

Kitchen Aid makes tri ply with stainless lids instead of glass.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00EA22V4W/

It doesn't have the pasta basket and a lid for the skillet though.

I have tri ply pieces from several different manufacturers - All Clad, Cuisinart, Calphalon, Kitchen Aid, Cooks Standard. I think cooking performance wise you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The difference is more in the shapes (like compare the skillet shape of All Clad to Cuisinart Multiclad Pro), the handles shape (a lot of people hate the All Clad shape, but it works for me), and how the handles are attached (weld or rivet). And for whatever reason, the All Clads seem to clean up easier than the others - even if it's stuff that I need to use Bar Keeper's Friend on, the All Clads seem to need noticeably less effort. I haven't a clue as to why.

I just try to pick up pieces here and there when I see them at good prices, and so far they've all worked out for me okay.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GUESS WHAT'S ON SALE AGAIN BITCHESSSS!!!!! :getin:

(It's ThermaPens.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Only the red white and blue ones

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Only the red white and blue ones

That's OK, red is the best Thermapen colour anyway.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I bought one of those thermometers with the stainless steel probe on the end of a long flexible wire assuming I could stick the probe in whatever was cooking, run the wire outside the oven to the reader unit, and then let the reader unit beep at me when it sensed that my target temperature had been hit.

However now that I have the box open I see that the instructions warn "do not use probe with closed oven" which pretty much exactly defeats the purpose of being able to actively monitor something inside a closed oven.

Are they worried that thermal conduction down the probe shaft is going to throw off the measurement, the temperature differential along the long wire is going to throw off the measurement, the oven door is gonna pinch the wire and break it, or something else?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Most likely the pinching. Do it anyways, but get used to the idea that your probe is going to break and that you'll need to replace it every couple of years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The oven door melting/pinching I think, yeah (more melting). Same with putting the grill lid down over one.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bob_McBob posted:

That's OK, red is the best Thermapen colour anyway.

You misspelled blue.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

n/m figured it out

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 26, 2016

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Most likely the pinching. Do it anyways, but get used to the idea that your probe is going to break and that you'll need to replace it every couple of years.

Kenji from seriouseats.com had a thing about leave-in thermometers, and how they could transmit heat into your meat, creating a hot-zone that would trigger an early warning of your desired temperature. I had read somewhere else that the heat transmitted through the probe could cause you to over cook your meat, as the heat from the probe would be cooking it from the inside too. How real of a problem is this?

Also, related to this. With a leave-in probe/thermometer, what happens if you can't put the whole probe into the meat? How much of the reading will be from meat vs from the probe itself getting the heated by the oven?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Thanks for the replies, all.

I cooked up a loaf of gyro meat tonight and decided to just leave the probe in to see what would happen. The temperature read out rose slowly up to it's trip point of 160F and it started to beep, then I pulled the probe out to cool for ~30 seconds and stuck it back in where it maxed out at 150F reading. I doubt that a two pound chunk of meat would cool down that fast internally so it appears that there may be some heat conduction down the 3" or so of the probe inside the meat to the actual thermocouple sensor in the tip.

That's a kind of surprising result to me since I'd expect the stainless steel probe cladding would be a poor thermal conductor and any heat conducted down the probe would have been pulled away buy the surrounding volume of meat before reaching the sensing element in the tip. But based on this sample size of one it seems like that's what happened.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

rgocs posted:

Kenji from seriouseats.com had a thing about leave-in thermometers, and how they could transmit heat into your meat, creating a hot-zone that would trigger an early warning of your desired temperature. I had read somewhere else that the heat transmitted through the probe could cause you to over cook your meat, as the heat from the probe would be cooking it from the inside too. How real of a problem is this?

Also, related to this. With a leave-in probe/thermometer, what happens if you can't put the whole probe into the meat? How much of the reading will be from meat vs from the probe itself getting the heated by the oven?

I'm curious to know if Kenji actually tested that or if he's just hypothesizing, because I've never noticed a difference. The last time I used a probe I ended up overcooking because of massive carryover from a clay shell... if the probe was over-reporting, I would think it would have mitigated my overcooking a little bit.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I'm curious to know if Kenji actually tested that or if he's just hypothesizing, because I've never noticed a difference. The last time I used a probe I ended up overcooking because of massive carryover from a clay shell... if the probe was over-reporting, I would think it would have mitigated my overcooking a little bit.

Haven't found a full article, but he mentions he has observed it:

Kenji Lopez posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/how-to-make-perfect-prime-rib-for-christmas-dinner.html

"RULE #12: USE AN INSTANT READ THERMOMETER, NOT A LEAVE-IN THERMOMETER."

Leave-in thermometers offer convenience, but they're inaccurate. The problem is that they're made of metal, which ends up conducting heat into the meat in the region around the thermometer. This leads to falsely high readings. In my testing, I found that a leave-in thermometer will register about 5 degrees higher then an instant-read thermometer inserted into a similar part of the roast. Moral: you can use the leave-in as a general guide and an early alarm, but make sure to double-check with your instant-read.

Emphasis his. In one of his answers in the comments he says there's no full article on it, but he's often mentioned it before. He says though, that the more important problem is predicting the right spot to put it in.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I can live with a 5° offset

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bonton has their 50 off 100 deal so you can get some all clad for cheap

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Is this a good place to ask about appliances? My wife and I close on a 50s ranch tomorrow afternoon and we're basically gutting it. We pretty much have a blank slate for the kitchen, so we're trying to get appliances figured out so that we can order cabinets/etc...

So, what fridge should I get? It absolutely needs to be counter depth. It doesn't need to be huge, but we need something bigger than those 10 cu. ft. narrow "European" apartment fridges. Probably something in the 15-22 cu. ft. range. The other big thing is that we want as few moving/plastic parts as possible. We basically just want a rectangular box with shelves. We don't want a bunch of flimsy, cheap-feeling plastic bins etc... We do want an ice maker, but we don't want a water/ice dispenser on the outside.

I've found a handful of options from Samsung, GE, Whirlpool, etc that look like they might work. I've also seen a few fridges from Fisher and Paykel that look promising, but I know nothing about this brand. Are there particular brands we should steer away from? Most of them have french doors with the freezer on the bottom. The hard part is trying to form any sort of an opinion without actually physically playing with the fridge. You would think you would find some decent fit and finish on a $2k piece of equipment, but almost all fridges feel like wobbly cheap pieces of poo poo when you use them. I really just want something super simple, with high build quality. I don't know why it's so hard to find appliances (fridge, cooktop, washer/dryer) that feel more solid than an easy bake oven.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Check out the Frigidaire FGHC2331PF it gets excellent reviews. Other than that you're looking at $2500+ for what you're looking for from Jenn-Air or Subzero. Keep in mind a lot of fridges are gonna feel flimsy because they are really just skinned frames full of insulation.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

deimos posted:

Check out the Frigidaire FGHC2331PF it gets excellent reviews. Other than that you're looking at $2500+ for what you're looking for from Jenn-Air or Subzero. Keep in mind a lot of fridges are gonna feel flimsy because they are really just skinned frames full of insulation.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm pretty sure that's the exact fridge (or a rebranded/updated version) we had in our last house (we lived in one of those suburban cookie-cutter neighborhoods). That fridge was ok (I had to replace the main control board to fix a freezer defrost issue after spending countless hours troubleshooting). I'm just looking to upgrade to something nicer. We do a ton of cooking, so we'd be willing to splurge a little if we found the perfect fridge. I think we have several options in the $1k-$2k range from the major players (Samsung, LG, Whirlpool, GE, Electrolux, Kitchenaid) but they all look like they are going to have similar build quality/feel. I would happily buy like 10 different fridges if I could pay $100 more to make the pull out shelves not feel like trash.

Also, here are a couple other options I found last night.

Fisher and Paykel - I know nothing about this company. Hopefully I can find a local place that carries these so I can go play around with one this weekend.
Fisher and Paykel E522BLE5
Fisher and Paykel RF201ADW5

Haier - This fridge looks almost exactly what we want. The interior is very simple and I like the double freezer door. Unfortunately it doesn't have an ice dispenser and doesn't come in a white finish. I'm also worried about Haier in general as my only experience is with a cheap little mini fridge I had in college (although it worked perfectly and I never had any issues). This is on the small end, but would probably work great if we got a separate mini fridge for beverages (which we've talked about anyway). It's also relatively cheap.
Haier HRF15N3AGS

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Fisher and Paykel is fairly well regarded here in Oz. I just bought one of their fridges a couple months ago, no complaints at all. It's actually quite similar to the french door one you listed, just has a water dispenser as well. I like it because it's only a water dispenser in the door, no ice, so you don't lose any interior door space, plus the door ice crushers seem to be a common fault with all fridges. Has an ice maker inside the freezer, which is all I wanted. Haven't really had it long enough to say much, but the build quality seems quite a bit better than our LG, and the LEDs inside are a nice touch, though I imagine almost all fridges have LEDs these days. My only complaint would be that I think I would give up a bit of fridge space for some more freezer space.

Our is similar to this one, just the previous model but looks almost the same.
https://www.fisherpaykel.com/au/kit...F610ADUSX5.html

JBark fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 30, 2016

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

JBark posted:

Fisher and Paykel is fairly well regarded here in Oz.

Didn't FandP used to be really good. Then turned to poo poo and we're forever associated with poor quality and lovely products?

Or have the kiwis got their thumb out of their rear end and turned their quality dial back to 'good' again?

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Horse Clocks posted:

Didn't FandP used to be really good. Then turned to poo poo and we're forever associated with poor quality and lovely products?

Or have the kiwis got their thumb out of their rear end and turned their quality dial back to 'good' again?

I have heard about some quality issues with their signature "double drawer" dishwasher over the years, though I haven't really heard much in the way of complaints regarding their other stuff. I don't really know much about them, since I hadn't heard of the company till I moved to Oz a few years ago. The stuff we've run across seems nice enough, and it's definitely on the higher end of the price scale at the usual appliance stores. We wouldn't have been able to afford the F&P fridge we just bought, except for the fact it was a discontinued floor model, so was discounted by about $1000 from retail.

JBark fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 1, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not sure if anyone else is testing the waters with the Misen Kickstarter knife, but just got an email today that because of "moisture discovered in their packaging", that shipping would be delayed until mid-late September. Bummer.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I got to play around with the Fisher & Paykel 17 cu ft counter depth french door fridge last weekend. It seemed significantly nicer (fit and finish) than most of the other fridges I was looking at.

Now that I think I've figured out my fridge, does anybody have any experience with speed ovens? At first I thought it sounded kinda gimmicky, but it sounds like they are actually practical appliances. Not needing a dedicated microwave is nice, but I didn't know that speed ovens are actually legitimate (small) convection ovens. They can be run purely as an oven, purely as a microwave, or a combination of both to get the "speed" cooking effect that, supposedly, works well. When used as an oven, they also heat up significantly faster than regular ovens because of their smaller size.

The problem I have is that I can't seem to find one that fits a half sheet pan. All the ones I've seen are about the size of a standard microwave. More often than not, whatever I'm cooking in the oven can fit on a single sheet pan. It would be fantastic if this would fit in a speed oven and I'd only need to use the full oven when cooking multiple/larger foods or when entertaining.I'd like to not need separate pans for the two ovens. Does anybody make a slightly-larger-than-average speed oven that works well and doesn't look like rear end?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

does anybody have any experience with speed ovens?

quote:

The problem I have is that I can't seem to find one that fits a half sheet pan.

30" wide speed ovens exist, but they seem to be a significant step up in price from the microwave-sized units:

https://jennair.com/appliances/details/JMC2430DS

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Profi...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also I haven't seen a 30" wide speed oven that wasn't a wall unit.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I should have clarified that this would be going in the wall. I've seen those speed ovens, but they all seem to conveniently not mention the interior dimensions. The specifications for that Home Depot GE oven does say it has a 16" diameter turntable, though. I'm guessing there's not a full inch of clearance on each side of the turntable (plus space for rack slides etc...) to accommodate a half sheet pan.

I looked at the 30" Bosch speed oven (along with a couple others I can't remember) at a local shop and the interiors all seem significantly smaller than you'd expect (I assume to house the microwave components).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I want a bench top citrus juicer. I want a manual one that can do lime/oranges/grapefruits. Our margarita consumption levels rules out the little hand held ones. I want something that will last the rest of my life and will break my foot if I drop it on it. I am slightly aroused by rack and pinion gearing. Money isn't really an issue, but I would rather pay $100 then $400, if I can get a boss-rear end juicer for that little.

Every time I go to a bar that does a good Crush I ask the bartender about their juicer, but so far I have never found one that is recommended.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

I want a bench top citrus juicer. I want a manual one that can do lime/oranges/grapefruits. Our margarita consumption levels rules out the little hand held ones. I want something that will last the rest of my life and will break my foot if I drop it on it. I am slightly aroused by rack and pinion gearing. Money isn't really an issue, but I would rather pay $100 then $400, if I can get a boss-rear end juicer for that little.

Every time I go to a bar that does a good Crush I ask the bartender about their juicer, but so far I have never found one that is recommended.

Try the Jupiter Large Commercial Juice Press. It own bones and is closer to $100.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

I should have clarified that this would be going in the wall. I've seen those speed ovens, but they all seem to conveniently not mention the interior dimensions. The specifications for that Home Depot GE oven does say it has a 16" diameter turntable, though. I'm guessing there's not a full inch of clearance on each side of the turntable (plus space for rack slides etc...) to accommodate a half sheet pan.

I looked at the 30" Bosch speed oven (along with a couple others I can't remember) at a local shop and the interiors all seem significantly smaller than you'd expect (I assume to house the microwave components).

I wonder if I'm missing out on something with these. I have a convection oven/micro/grill w/steam option, but I don't mix features. So, am I missing out?

E: I saw a few of these at some hotels, and was always surprised by the tiny inside dimensions compared to mine (typical microwave thickness).

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

Looks like Ultimate Mango recommended the one I would. The one off Restaurant Depot's site is $105 today but no prime shipping (and it's not that sexy black).

e: now I see the white one is available and cheaper from AMZN so just get that one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If anyone is sale-watching for a KitchenAid stand mixer, if you have Amazon Prime, it looks like the 6-quart pro bowl lift model is $249 on Amazon today only as part of Prime Day.

EDIT: It looks like they're doing that dumb flash deal thing so it may not be all day -- get on it fast if you want it.