Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
First form is in scrubs, penultimate is in a labcoat, ultimate is literally Dr. House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If they're doing a medical thing, t'd be cool if it was a The Green Mile type situation, but Kamen Rider. Like, theres an alien disease that turns people into monsters, and Kamen Rider can heal people defeating them and take the disease into himself, making his Kamen Rider form more powerful at the expense of his own life

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He'll obviously be an ex-diplomatic aide and all of his powers will be related to the level of alcohol in his body at any given time.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It sounds so un-genuine but I'd love another mini season of Decade to wrap up some of the lingering stories and such. He kinda never got an ending.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RealFoxy posted:

It sounds so un-genuine but I'd love another mini season of Decade to wrap up some of the lingering stories and such. He kinda never got an ending.

Because he has no story.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm finishing Ryuki (just 5 or 6 episodes left...), but I just wanted to say:
It's realllly weird to read this as a toy commercial when you have a character like Imperer.
Like what kind of statement would buying a toy of Imperer have. In fact, a lot of Kamen rider toys are role playing toys, and the idea of role playing as him is bizarre.

It's one thing to sell representations of horrible people like Ouja and Tiger, but another to try to sell a pathetic and sad one.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its almost like Ryuki was a mess?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hate Ryuki for what it could have been instead of what it ended up being.

Why do almost all Heisei Rider series have such shittastic endings

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The ending was probably the best part about Ryuki, and even then it wasn't as good as things like the part of Agito where they finally explain what happened to the ferry.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember the JUUUUIIICCCYYY kid from the Gaim gummy commercials?

He's playing the lead in the new Yokai Watch movie.

Good for him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the advent of kamen rider gummy draws ever closer

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well, I finished Ryuki.

I had wanted to see how it compared as a rider war to Gaim, and I ended up appreciating Gaim quite a bit more from it. Actually, there's a lot I could say in comparison to Gen U's previous series, Madoka, which is pretty much my favorite anime and one of the few I've finished. It's clear that Gen got some ideas from watching Ryuki, but Madoka still stands as its own thing. (It doesn't even have a rider war... which kind of makes it darker. Shows you don't have to force people to fight or give powers to a serial killer to have deadly conflict). And if Madoka was Ryuki influenced then that means Gaim had to be, too.

But really anything I could write directly about Ryuki in comparison to Gaim or Madoka would make it sound like I do not like Ryuki. And I did like quite a bit about it, but I don't think I could appreciate it on a more attentive than multitasked rewatch. I liked the larger than life characters and how they factored into the story, the insane origin story, the cruel premise, the constant feeling of dread and loss the idea of carnivorous mirrors had. And even though others have iterated on its setup of a secret war better (Madoka, Fate/Zero, and Gaim form a weird loose anime trilogy that I'd like to see someone talk about) it gets a lot of points for coming up with them and exploring them.

But it's like someone had this idea for a really dark story and when asked "well, sounds like an awful situation, what do the characters do about it?" the writers just said "uhhhh...:shrug:". And it really makes feel like it was not worth it to have fifty episodes of this.

The length is a problem because I don't have a setup letting me binge these like I was and now I don't remember very well if some of my complaints are valid or not, like what was going on all that airtime. It kind of feels like most of the riders really didn't want their wishes that most of the deaths weren't really because of anyone wanting to win the war, that Ren and Stimpy Shinji repeatedly tried to kill each other and decided against it, that the origin story was only revealed the last two episodes despite everyone wondering about it...

I guess I agree with Burkion on wanting the series to be more than it was. Perhaps the movie would fix things but I'm burnt out on the series for now.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Oh gently caress Fourze is about friendship isn't it.

gently caress I'm a sucker for that poo poo, I'm already sold.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

nerdman42 posted:

What gave it away?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

nerdman42 posted:

It is aggressively about friendship. It's gonna shove you into the friendship locker (which is a portal to the Moon).

What I'm trying to say is: Fourze is a delight.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
It's gonna befriend the poo poo out of you, whether you like it or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Friendship; is a very subtle theme in Fourze. It may take you a bit to notice it but it's there.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

RealFoxy posted:

I want Decade to show up in a two-parter in every series so he can make some sanctimonious speech and then do a final form ride for the current rider. I bet Drive would have had an awesome final form ride.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Gentaro's already friends with the cheerleader girl, gently caress, I'm so in. This is the most in I can ever be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gentaro befriends a lot of people and things.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

Gentaro's already friends with the cheerleader girl, gently caress, I'm so in. This is the most in I can ever be.

Prime av/post combo, I am enjoying your enjoyment of Fourze.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

nerdman42 posted:

Gentaro is an awesome character.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Literally almost everything Gentaro meets eventually becomes his friend. Fourze is probably my favorite Heisei Rider show (with W and OOO tied for second) mostly because there are pretty much no bad characters in it (though not all of them are handled that well as the series goes on).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 19, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Literally almost everything Gentaro meets eventually becomes his friend. Fourze is probably my favorite Heisei Rider show (with W and OOO tied for second) mostly because there are pretty much no bad characters in it (though not all of them are handled that well as the series goes on).

man i find this so loving bizarro because i hate every main character in fourze except gen

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I don't know if I'm sold on every character yet but macho football dudebros crying dramatically about daddy issues and heroes crying sympathetically is so wonderful and beautiful. I had not lived until this moment.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have a special feeling you're gonna love JK's focus episodes. (That's not really a spoiler, right? He's in the goddamn opening.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GUYS

https://twitter.com/ThePowerRangers/status/745398702542491649

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Alpha, we have to cook!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

JK's episode was just full of so much friendship. This show is so great.

I have to say though, I wasn't expecting much from "dowsing rod" monster and then Pyxis immediately became the most hosed up of the bunch. For such a happy show, that guy was horrifying.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Whether this movie is good or bad, it's going to have an amazing cast list.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

nerdman42 posted:

JK's episode was just full of so much friendship. This show is so great.

I have to say though, I wasn't expecting much from "dowsing rod" monster and then Pyxis immediately became the most hosed up of the bunch. For such a happy show, that guy was horrifying.

The Shun Daimonji episode is my favorite of the building the KR club. Especially when Daimonji and Gen break down crying in detention.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I gave up on sentai like 12 years ago. I liked Hurricanger for it's storytelling and Abaranger for it's ability to balance on the line between corny laughs and emotional drama. Magiranger was just too clearly aimed at children. It didn't have any of the bite that I come to expect from the Japanese series. Unless it got significantly darker further in, it looked like it could have passed as a PR show with no real changes.

So with all that in mind, what should I watch?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Go-Busters

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Craptacular! posted:

I gave up on sentai like 12 years ago. I liked Hurricanger for it's storytelling and Abaranger for it's ability to balance on the line between corny laughs and emotional drama. Magiranger was just too clearly aimed at children. It didn't have any of the bite that I come to expect from the Japanese series. Unless it got significantly darker further in, it looked like it could have passed as a PR show with no real changes.

So with all that in mind, what should I watch?

Go finish Magiranger. It's good.

If you don't want to budge on that you should check out Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Kyoryuger, and the current series Zyuohger.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hot take: I like this poster.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Waffleman_ posted:

If this wasn't a toku thread I would have no idea this was for power rangers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pyroi posted:

If this wasn't a toku thread I would have no idea this was for power rangers.

It says power rangers movie at the bottom and the stars make the lightning bolt logo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm just happy that they're making the bold decision to include the Radbug in this new reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Waffleman_ posted:

"Guys get off the roof already, there's no room for me, I'm gonna look stupid."

• Locked thread