Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

kater posted:

It is Joff, Cat, Jon, Sansa, Rickon, Sean Bean, Sansa, and Robb. All the dead Starks.

Joff has chubby cheeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IncendiaC posted:

IMO Arya's pre-season 5 story was actually pretty close to this. The Harrenhal arc in S2 was pretty great despite it deviating heavily from the books, and Tywin's scenes with her were fantastic even though it was show-only. The BwB in S3 were cool and the Hound was amazing throughout S3 and S4. There were also great minor characters throughout like Yoren (RIP), Syrio (RIP), and Gendry (forever rowing).

Plus, S2 Jaqen sold the whole Faceless Men thing pretty well and made the organization seem super badass. Then we got the actual Braavos/House of Black and White arc in S5 and S6 which ended up being a huge letdown.

THe Faceless Men were kind of a letdown after all that build up but isn't that kind of a GRRM twist, as well? At the end of the day, they're just another group of hired killers in spite of all their rituals and rules.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

tadashi posted:

THe Faceless Men were kind of a letdown after all that build up but isn't that kind of a GRRM twist, as well? At the end of the day, they're just another group of hired killers in spite of all their rituals and rules.

It had some good momentos on the books. Not awesome, but at least interesting

The show really messed it up, though. From the bad choice of Jaqen as the leader, to the annoying Waif, the uninteresting training and lame missions, and the that awful conclusion. It was all bad.

Even Bravoos itself has no personality, nothing in it that makes it any different from any generic city in Westeros

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Jedimastafez posted:

She is also Academy Award Nominated - ironically the first pic I could find from her role she is holding a stick like a spear

I know her from the Almighty Johnsons, which is not a very good show, but is entertaining.

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ah yes the Master Tactician Jon *runs at 4000 men alone*

Yes, but Sansa had no reason to think Jon would do that, and it doesn't make sense that he would do that given what we know about Jon's character. His decision to rush the Bolton army, like Sansa's decision to not to tell him about the Vale army, was made for dramatic effect, not because it works within the world the books or the show has already established. And that's why people are criticizing the show; while the characters and the political situation used to drive the story, now it seems like the writers decide what kind of scenes they want and manipulate the characters accordingly. Even that wouldn't be so bad if the payoff was really great, but the "unexpected ally army shows up at the last second" trope has already been used at least twice already and it was so heavily telegraphed that it completely robbed the battle scenes of tension.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jedimastafez posted:

She is also Academy Award Nominated - ironically the first pic I could find from her role she is holding a stick like a spear

Okay, so that's Obara. Who do we have next? Nyma? Nymo? Nym? Not gonna work here anymore, that's for sure!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope the finale involves Dany getting to Dorne and burning the Snakes all alive

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
This was posted in the other thread. No, not that thread, the other thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0dA9eUP85s

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Arya spent 3 seasons training only to disobey the FM and then return to Westeros, to do what?

Kill Walder Frey, a guy so old hes probably going to die anyways.

Her story was awful the moment she got on the ship for Braavos.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Also walder is a joke and despite taking some castles isn't going to get a great house. Hell, Ramsay stabbing roose was a more important assassination than anyone arya could kill

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
Season 4 was really only half good, but I was rewatching it and the Tyrion/Tywin scene at the end (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMoNv6yOSCQ) really was perfect. They tried a similar thing with Sansa and Ramsay in this last episode and it didn't work at all. Bad guy trying to talk his way out of certain death can work if the characters have important history, and especially if the "bad guy" is someone you really don't want gone. I didn't really feel any catharsis at Ramsay's death since he should have died a long time ago or at least been kept off screen.

splifyphus posted:

I'm sorry, criticism? I think you'll find that this is the greatest show ever made, and pointing out flaws makes you a joyless nit-picking autistic robot who ruins everything for all the cool people who know the correct way to watch TV.

e: his stupid character shtick aside, Preston's youtube review series is actually pretty decent for analysis and criticism for GoT specifically. Note that because every aspect of GoT is now totally nonsensical and half-assed except for the action scenes, he doesn't have a lot of positive things to say.
I'm not really a fan of these nitpicking styles of videos that rip off Plinkett. They never actually analyze anything besides the plot.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Tommen will fall to his death from a high window. Smash cut to the window, showing Arya who then winks at the camera.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Soul Glo posted:

Tommen will fall to his death from a high window. Smash cut to the window, showing Arya who then winks at the camera.

Then she pulls off her face and its actually Jaqen

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Elias_Maluco posted:

They pull a mask off of Tommen. "Is there anyone here who isn't a Faceless Man?"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Elias_Maluco posted:

Next episode he pulls off HIS face and it's Syrio.

Each new episode, a new face.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Be better if the window pulls of its face and it's Arya!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Turns out Ramsey this ep was a fake, end of the finale will be Euron arriving in Meereen, killing Tyrion, and pulling off his face to reveal the real Ramsey

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MrSlam posted:

They pull a mask off of Tommen. "Is there anyone here who isn't a Faceless Man?"

Pycelle tentatively raises his hand, is promptly stabbed to death by nearest person.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Goofballs posted:

To be fair distances really are a massive corner the GRRM wrote himself into. I'm not sure saying lol gently caress it they arrive is the right way out but they had to do something.

if Yara got fair winds she could probably do 100 nautical miles in a day and 200 nautical miles with good winds. Looking at a map and guessing it is over 2000 nautical miles from the Iron Islands to Meereen, Yara could have sailed there less than a month. Vague time passing is vague.

Anyone else get a Catelyn vibe from Sansa? More anger than to know what to do with. Even if Jon Snow isn't Rob Stark blood son, he sure was raised to like him. Need someone to mention that Sansa needs to produce an heir for the Stark name to continue and suggest Jon as a match. Though I think that LF is going to just force Sansa into marrying Sweet Robin, Sansa winning over Robin, and LF "flying" out of the Moon Door to be the 1st half season finale.

edt. Ancient armies marched about 20 to 40 km a day about 10 to 20 miles. So if say Jaime had to march the Lannister forces 500 miles to the Riverlands that would take him one or two months. Yara steals the fleet in episode 4 and Jaime leaves King's Landing in episode 5. Then by episode 7 Jaime is in the Riverlands and I believe Yara is going to gently caress the tits off of some girl. The amount of time for distance traveled seems fine. Not telling the audience that specifically and everyone left believe each scene takes place chronologically one after another is a problem.

No Luck Needed fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 22, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lmao, I just watched episode 9 of season 1 and it's absolutely awesome, despite completely skipping the two gigantic battles going on (Tyrion gets knocked out before the battle and wakes up after).

It's a travesty how much they ran this show into the ground. It looked and felt perfect back then.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

No Luck Needed posted:

Even if Jon Snow isn't Rob Stark blood son

If he is then Rob got started awful young

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember years ago posting about how I had no doubt that the showrunners would be able to improve upon the later books and unwritten stuff, based on a few of the scenes that they created that weren't in the books.

I did not predict The Checklist

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That said, when I actually watch the spoiled episodes aren't nearly as bad as my imagination conceived them to have been. Lowered Expectations I guess.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

waitwhatno posted:

Lmao, I just watched episode 9 of season 1 and it's absolutely awesome, despite completely skipping the two gigantic battles going on (Tyrion gets knocked out before the battle and wakes up after).

It's a travesty how much they ran this show into the ground. It looked and felt perfect back then.

Yeah, they used to skip the big battles and concentrate on the character development, politics and scheming. And it was so much better

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, they used to skip the big battles and concentrate on the character development, politics and scheming. And it was so much better

And people faulted Lord of the Rings for doing exactly this.

I did think the Battle for Winterfell was pretty grimly real, though. That loving shot of the arrows being loosed, soaring across the field, and landing was ripped straight from the LotR films, though. I'd like to see a shot-by-shot breakdown of all the nods/references, I noticed some Braveheart in there as well. And maybe one of JJ Abrams' tricks in the Meereen combat!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

And people faulted Lord of the Rings for doing exactly this.

I did think the Battle for Winterfell was pretty grimly real, though. That loving shot of the arrows being loosed, soaring across the field, and landing was ripped straight from the LotR films, though. I'd like to see a shot-by-shot breakdown of all the nods/references, I noticed some Braveheart in there as well. And maybe one of JJ Abrams' tricks in the Meereen combat!

It was cool. for the most part. But Ill trade spetacular battles for good writing any day

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Azazell0 posted:

Thanks to whoever linked the Dem Thrones : real negus youtube channel back when the season started. I like it a lot, even though I usually am not interested in these TV review shows. The guys are just fun to listen and they are positive and into the show, but not in an annoying way.

That may have been me and I'm glad you liked it! You may like the written episode recaps on BlackNerdProblems. They are routinely entertaining and honestly I enjoy it even more than Dem Thrones.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ramsay's death woulda been a lot better without the plot armor and if he was a retarded monster like in the books. also if the big "saves the day" moment was all the northern houses turning against him. i still don't buy the umbers joining up cuz of wildlings and they really shoulda done some twist with them being the ones to betray him.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah and there was a lot of weird under-text of the instability of Ramsay's army (Jon says their loyalty is hanging on by a thread), and the "incredulous to be eaten by his starved dogs" was a pretty clear metaphor with zero basis in what we actually see.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Right up until this episode, I was expecting Wyman to show up at Winterfell in the beginning and turn his coat during the battle. I figured there was a reason why they repeatedly said "Manderly" this season.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

same.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah and there was a lot of weird under-text of the instability of Ramsay's army (Jon says their loyalty is hanging on by a thread), and the "incredulous to be eaten by his starved dogs" was a pretty clear metaphor with zero basis in what we actually see.

Yea, Jon even says that to Ramsay when he turns down the combat 'I wonder how your men will fight your you when they hear you wouldn't fight for them'. And it turns out the answer is 'to the death', I guess?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Ashcans posted:

Yea, Jon even says that to Ramsay when he turns down the combat 'I wonder how your men will fight your you when they hear you wouldn't fight for them'. And it turns out the answer is 'to the death', I guess?
Apparently so. Guess the trope of followers for fear vs. respect falling always on the side of respect got subverted this time.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Lycus posted:

Right up until this episode, I was expecting Wyman to show up at Winterfell in the beginning and turn his coat during the battle. I figured there was a reason why they repeatedly said "Manderly" this season.

Yeah they really turned them into Chekov's mandely's. The whole the north remembers, the Umbers insulting Ramsay and not really swearing loyalty, and the name drop of Manderly, let absolutely nowhere.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Manderly will show up next season and it will be Lannister pies instead of Frey. Just so Arya can cross some one off her list.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

That's an excellent piece, but I don't think we've heard it yet :ohdear:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lycus posted:

There was a reason. It was because gently caress you.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Rumors are that Manderly will magically turn up next episode to say "whoops my bad with the whole Bolton thing" and swear fealty to Jon Snow or Jon Stark or whatever.

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I agree 100%. This was my main complaint (about an otherwise fantastic episode) that I made in an earlier post. Hopefully it's written better in the books and we actually get a " The North Remembers" plot leading somewhere besides a flayed washerwoman, the Karstarks, Glovers, and Umbers remaining loyal to Ramsay Bolton until the end, and the Manderlys not even showing up to the battle to help.

Ashcans posted:

Lol, exactly. The Bolton soldiers don't care that Ramsay is too much of a pussy to do a mano y mano fight with Jon Snow to decide the conflict and prevent the slaughter of thousands in battle. The Bolton troops fired round after round of arrows into the fray without qualms, killing Jon Snow's men and their own troops indiscriminately. There never appears to be any wavering loyalty among the Bolton forces. The only hint of insubordination is a 5 second scene where a Bolton soldier tells Ramsay "our army is gone."

It seems like bad writing to me; there's heavy foreshadowing of a betrayal that never materializes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They wouldn't even have had change much. Have the Manderlys occupied fighting the Karstarks off to the side while the Bolton phalanx goes on. But oh well.

• Locked thread