Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

jwh posted:

Vintage 30s have a very pronounced upper midrange that can be very fatiguing. I don't particularly like them by themselves- but they can sound good paired with G12H-75 Creambacks or G12H30s. This is a popular combination for a lot of cabinet builders.

The Mesa V30s have a smoother high end than the regular ones.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Speaking of speakers, anyone try Swamp Thangs?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

While the Orange talk is going on I have a question:
My little Orange OR15 is running through a stock Marshall JCM900 Lead 1960 4x12 Cabinet that I've had for years. I've been thinking about pairing that OR15 with an Orange PPC212 cabinet instead. Would I hear much difference between the two cabinets?

My setup is an OR15 into a PPC212C. I love it and can't imagine any better combo. It is true that the V30s have a fierce high mid punch to them but it's easily adjusted via EQ and even with me using an Earthquaker Arrows as an always on boost it doesn't bother me. For me the cab voicing simply adds to the innate clarity of the Orange.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

muike posted:

Not that one, but I like the Legend 1258 I have and have played amps with the Cannabis Rex in them and those are very good. Eminence does good stuff without being as expensive as some others.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

I have a 2x12 with one and a Texas Heat. It's a decent combo; the Swamp Thang is more mid-scooped and the Texas Heat has more midrange.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I thought they were supposed to be more low-mid focused rather than scooped but I was probably drinking the last time I decided learning about speakers was cool

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They have a strong peak around 2.5khz that adds presence but it kinda sounds scooped relative to the Texas Heat. Oddly enough they have very similar response curves.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

muike posted:

I use swamp thangs in a smallish closed back 2x12 I made. They've got a lot of low end and thump, and I like their cleans a ton. They definitely feel different to me than kind of your classic "rock guitar speaker" to me, which I guess is a vintage 30, like they're "cleaner" sounding almost. I don't know if I'd describe them as scooped, necessarily, but they don't feel particularly "open". For high gain stuff, I'd probably use bullshit words like "thumpy" to describe rhythm, and "creamy" to describe leads, on my amp IMO they show off vibrato really well. I think if I use them for another build I'll probably mix them with a cv75 or a man o' war or something trebbly/middy like that.

I do like them though. They're loud as hell, and cut through rehearsals just fine.

e: this guy doesn't play anything clean, but he does a really good eminence speaker comparison here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IbKZSxnM0Y

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 10, 2016

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
So I made the "mistake" of watching some gear videos over the weekend and started GASing pretty hard over those newish Fender Bassbreakers. I, like any man of taste, covet a cranked Plexi tone but there realistically is really no room in my life for a JTM45 that I'll never be able to crank up high enough to hit th sweet spot. Have any of you had a chance to checkout the Bassbreaker 45 watt head/combo? How well does that power scaling knob manage the amp? I'm not looking for a middle-of-the-night amp but just something I can get that cooking power tube sound from at a reasonable (nonpainful, no complaints from the neighbors) volume. My understanding of the way that amp works is that I can dial that knob all the way down to 1 watt to get the driven plexi sound at sub-drummer level. Is that accurate? If not I may have to look at the 15 watt version instead (but I prefer to have something that could handle a small open-air gig).

Making the trip this weekend to GC to try a few out and see how they sound. As a followup question, I currently have a 2x12 closed back Messa with V30s and I'd like to find a nice open back cab (1x12 probably) to contrast and expand my tonal options. Any particular recommendations?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Bolange posted:

So I made the "mistake" of watching some gear videos over the weekend and started GASing pretty hard over those newish Fender Bassbreakers. I, like any man of taste, covet a cranked Plexi tone but there realistically is really no room in my life for a JTM45 that I'll never be able to crank up high enough to hit th sweet spot. Have any of you had a chance to checkout the Bassbreaker 45 watt head/combo? How well does that power scaling knob manage the amp? I'm not looking for a middle-of-the-night amp but just something I can get that cooking power tube sound from at a reasonable (nonpainful, no complaints from the neighbors) volume. My understanding of the way that amp works is that I can dial that knob all the way down to 1 watt to get the driven plexi sound at sub-drummer level. Is that accurate? If not I may have to look at the 15 watt version instead (but I prefer to have something that could handle a small open-air gig).

Making the trip this weekend to GC to try a few out and see how they sound. As a followup question, I currently have a 2x12 closed back Messa with V30s and I'd like to find a nice open back cab (1x12 probably) to contrast and expand my tonal options. Any particular recommendations?

I haven't been able to find a bassbreaker schematic yet, which is disappointing, because i'm curious how they did the power scaling as well.

as for 1x12 open back cabinets, Tone Tubby makes nice cabinets. Also the Traynor dark horse 1x12 has a removable back panel which is a nice idea. I would just get an unloaded Mojotone cab, and then put a ceramic Jensen in there, personally: http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Cabinets_xx/Mojotone-Guitar-Amplifier-Speaker-Extension-Cabinet

I really like the ceramic Jensens for the money.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Bolange posted:

This may not matter to you, but I am pretty sure only the 15 watt versions (combo and head) have an FX loop. I also think that the 15 watt does not have any form of power scaling beyond the master volume. However, my reading leads me to believe that the master volume gives more "quiet" volume than a blues junior, so its not already too loud for basic apartment as soon as you get any sound out of the master volume.

I have been meaning to get to the store to look at it closer, but I haven' yet. Sounds like a great amp, and I have read a lot of positive things about it.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Gripen5 posted:

This may not matter to you, but I am pretty sure only the 15 watt versions (combo and head) have an FX loop. I also think that the 15 watt does not have any form of power scaling beyond the master volume. However, my reading leads me to believe that the master volume gives more "quiet" volume than a blues junior, so its not already too loud for basic apartment as soon as you get any sound out of the master volume.

I have been meaning to get to the store to look at it closer, but I haven' yet. Sounds like a great amp, and I have read a lot of positive things about it.

Right, the 15 doesn't have power scaling--it has 3 gain stages/structures (not foot switchable) and a master volume. I assume the fx loop comes after those gain stages but the 45 (by my understanding) gets it's gain from the power tubes mostly so having an fx loop isn't much different from just running everything into the front of the amp. I heard the same about the volume on the 15 having more usable quiet volume (unlike the HRD I used to have which went from "Is this thing on?" to a jet landing in the room with about 1 degree of change on the volume knob). The 45 is definitely the one I'd favor but if the power scaling is garbage then I'd just as soon get a JTM45...

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Schpyder posted:

The PPC212C will probably be closer, as it's closed-back like the 1960A, but both the open and closed PPC212s are loaded with Vintage 30s, where the 1960A has G12T-75s, so yes, it'll sound somewhat different. How exactly I couldn't tell you, maybe see if you can find someplace with both the OR15 and both cabs in stock and try them out to see how you like them?

jwh posted:

Vintage 30s have a very pronounced upper midrange that can be very fatiguing. I don't particularly like them by themselves- but they can sound good paired with G12H-75 Creambacks or G12H30s. This is a popular combination for a lot of cabinet builders.

I've seen recording studios replace Fender Twin speakers with V30s, and I can't for the life of me understand why you'd do that. They're exhausting to listen to.

But who knows, you may really like the sound. I happen to like the Orange PPC cabinets.

Kilometers Davis posted:

My setup is an OR15 into a PPC212C. I love it and can't imagine any better combo. It is true that the V30s have a fierce high mid punch to them but it's easily adjusted via EQ and even with me using an Earthquaker Arrows as an always on boost it doesn't bother me. For me the cab voicing simply adds to the innate clarity of the Orange.

Thanks for the feedback guys! :rimshot:
I do appreciate it.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

jwh posted:

I would just get an unloaded Mojotone cab, and then put a ceramic Jensen in there, personally: http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Cabinets_xx/Mojotone-Guitar-Amplifier-Speaker-Extension-Cabinet

Wow, thanks for the lead there! Those guys are actually not too far down the road. I looked over their site and found exactly what I'm looking for (without knowing it even!) http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Cabinets_xx/Mojotone-Angled-Guitar-Amplifier-Speaker-Extension-Cabinet. I'll need to do some research into specific speakers to load I guess (keeping your Jensen rec in mind). I'd imagine the slightly odd shape shouldn't make the cab sound too oddly since it's open back--that comes way more down the particular speaker, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys! :rimshot:

:mad:

The thing I'm actually mad about is that I laughed at this. :golfclap:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Mojotone's pretty good, but I got some cane weave grill cloth for a cab a couple years back from them and it smelled like pussy. Like you'd get a big whiff of it from a few feet away.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Bolange posted:

Wow, thanks for the lead there! Those guys are actually not too far down the road. I looked over their site and found exactly what I'm looking for (without knowing it even!) http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Cabinets_xx/Mojotone-Angled-Guitar-Amplifier-Speaker-Extension-Cabinet. I'll need to do some research into specific speakers to load I guess (keeping your Jensen rec in mind). I'd imagine the slightly odd shape shouldn't make the cab sound too oddly since it's open back--that comes way more down the particular speaker, right?

With that much of the back open, I'm sure it'll sound fine.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

comes along bort posted:

Mojotone's pretty good, but I got some cane weave grill cloth for a cab a couple years back from them and it smelled like pussy. Like you'd get a big whiff of it from a few feet away.

Hell fuckin yea just like it should baby :whatup:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The band broke up, and I'm sitting in with a shoegaze thing for a while, so my clean to the moon amp is going to be good for a while. But on an interesting note, I borrowed this band's Bassman 70 head for a rehearsal and I couldn't stand it. I've played other Bassmans before, and liked them, but this one was just sort of tinny and awful. Part of that was the old Gibson 2x12 it was running through, I'm sure, but the amp just didn't have any character. What gives?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Bassman 70s are after a change to the output stage, I believe, which made them suck. It was an attempt to make them better bass amps I think, but they wound up sterile and awful for the most part. Or so I've heard; my Bassmans are blackface and early silverface, don't have that change, and don't suck.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Another speaker question--If I were going to replace the 12" speaker in Orange amp for the purposes of playing a Rhodes through it, does anyone have a speaker recommendation?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Gorgar posted:

Bassman 70s are after a change to the output stage, I believe, which made them suck. It was an attempt to make them better bass amps I think, but they wound up sterile and awful for the most part. Or so I've heard; my Bassmans are blackface and early silverface, don't have that change, and don't suck.

Eh, it's true that the Bassman 70 has an ultralinear output transformer, but they don't sound 'bad' necessarily, just different. There are other oddities in the circuit, though, such as an unusual power tube bias balance, and a long tail pair phase inverter that's provided more voltage and a different bias than in a blackface Twin, for example. You could swap out the phase inverter plate resistors with 68k instead, and replace the phase inverter cathode bias resistor with a 270 ohm resistor to get into blackface Twin territory, but I wouldn't bother. What I would do is take out the master volume.

I happen to like the Ultralinear Fenders. One of the best sounding Twins I've ever heard is a '81 UL Twin with ceramic Jensens.

The later Fender stuff gets a bad rap (pre-1983), but they can sound really good.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

jwh posted:

The later Fender stuff gets a bad rap (pre-1983), but they can sound really good.
Indeed. I have one of the much-maligned red knob amps, the Super 112, and it sounds fabulous. It's so loud I don't play it often though..

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Chiming in to say I have to agree, the Ultralinear Fender amps can be great. They're different for sure, but they have the potential to be wonderful. I have a theory that like the guitars, as time went on post-CBS some amps were dogs and some are flat-out amazing. Maybe it's the way they aged individually, maybe it's the sloppy lead dressing and how it interacts with the ground noise and preamp signal. I don't know, life's mysteries.

I have a circa early 80's transitional Blackface Pro Reverb in the shop right now -- replaced some worn preamp tubes, finished re-capping the amp after somebody stopped short of doing the bias and cathode bypass caps. Re-biased, cleaned it up; before it sounded "ok", but now it is just jaw-dropping. Great, great amp.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Looking for some amp advice. My main amp currently is a 6505 212 combo which while I love how it sounds, it is simply bloody heavy and really obtuse to move around, and I just really need something smaller. I''m considering selling the combo and just getting a 6505 head, but I'm also eyeballing picking up an Orange Dark Terror at the moment since they go used for about 3--400 it seems. Given that it's only 15w I'm a bit worried about how well it'd perform in a live setting though, and have seen heavily mixed responses with regards to if it can or can not perform well enough in such a setting.

Musically I mostly play a variety of grindcore, sludge, death, black, etc and use an HM2 for that Swedish chainsaw effect. I'm aware the HM2 tone itself is basically going to be the same regardless of what I'm running it through, but I'm still looking for any thoughts or advice.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Killsion posted:

Looking for some amp advice. My main amp currently is a 6505 212 combo which while I love how it sounds, it is simply bloody heavy and really obtuse to move around, and I just really need something smaller. I''m considering selling the combo and just getting a 6505 head, but I'm also eyeballing picking up an Orange Dark Terror at the moment since they go used for about 3--400 it seems. Given that it's only 15w I'm a bit worried about how well it'd perform in a live setting though, and have seen heavily mixed responses with regards to if it can or can not perform well enough in such a setting.

Musically I mostly play a variety of grindcore, sludge, death, black, etc and use an HM2 for that Swedish chainsaw effect. I'm aware the HM2 tone itself is basically going to be the same regardless of what I'm running it through, but I'm still looking for any thoughts or advice.

I Think if you're playing chainsaw death grind metal, you probably don't need the headroom that a bigger amp provides. 15 watts is nearly half as loud as 100 watts, after all, and anywhere where you'd really be cranking the 6505 will be micing your cab anyway. If you like the orange sound (as opposed to what you're getting with the 5150 sound), go for it.

Personally, I like big, tight heavy amps. I've got a lot like what you had, though I moved the head into its own enclosure recently, for similar reasons, and I'm still very happy with it. I use an attenuator for smaller venues.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 3, 2016

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Octatonic posted:

I Think if you're playing chainsaw death grind metal, you probably don't need the headroom that a bigger amp provides. 15 watts is nearly half as loud as 100 watts, after all, and anywhere where you'd really be cranking the 6505 will be micing your cab anyway. If you like the orange sound (as opposed to what you're getting with the 5150 sound), go for it.

Personally, I like big, tight heavy amps. I've got a lot like what you had, though I moved the head into its own enclosure recently, for similar reasons, and I'm still very happy with it. I use an attenuator for smaller venues.

Moving the head into it's own enclosure would probably be the simplest method, but also seems to have the most potential to go terribly wrong...

I'm enjoying the simplicity of what I'm seeing/hearing from the Dark Terror, but there's none anywhere close I'd be able to try one out which is a definite bummer. There does however appear to be an OR15 at my local guitar center, so I just may drop by there later and give it a spin if it's still there. While not a DT I understand the OR15 can get in the same ballpark?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The OR15 is a lot more classic Orange voiced than the Dark Terror. It still has boatloads of gain on tap, but the character is quite a bit different. It does sound great for sludge/doom stuff, although not quite up to black or death IMO. Still, give it a listen, it's a really nice amp for the price.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
In ridiculous pawn shop scores, I ended up getting an Orange TH30 head for 300. There were some burned-out tubes, but after replacing them, it works like a charm. Near as I can tell, the guy who priced it either mistook it for a similar-looking solid state amp or just didn't give a drat. The distortion channel is a bit meh, but the natural tune clipping on the clean channel is gorgeous.

Either way, it's a fun amp. Going to start building a new speaker cabinet for it soon, because it's cheaper than buying a pre-built one and I can tailor it to my own preferences.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Orange amps you say? 1150 watts this last tour, I think my ears are a little more hosed than when we left, but I think they sounded pretty good. Also we inspired 3 bands to kick out their bass player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQZOWteFNqc

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pokey Araya posted:

Orange amps you say? 1150 watts this last tour, I think my ears are a little more hosed than when we left, but I think they sounded pretty good. Also we inspired 3 bands to kick out their bass player.

Holy loving poo poo, you guys! :black101:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
That video is epic.

Can I ask a tangentially related question?

How do those lights work, and how do they know to change colors? Do they have a microphone or something that tells them when a new chord or something is played? I've always wondered....

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Captain Apollo posted:

Can I ask a tangentially related question?

How do those lights work, and how do they know to change colors? Do they have a microphone or something that tells them when a new chord or something is played? I've always wondered....

Yeah it's called a dmx controller.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Pokey Araya posted:

My PC's (small 5.1) subwoofer just side walked halfway across the desk while I was watching this video.

What kind of hearing protection do you need with that much volume to avoid longterm damage?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
The lights are controlled by a dmx controller, controlled by our merch/accountant/driving/womanizing dude. You can spot him with his hat down behind the drummer at 2:42. We bring our own lights to every show, and he makes it up as we go. It's the best way I've seen to do it, because we don't have to listen to a click track, and he speeds up and slows down with us, which will naturally happen from night to night. Hearing protection is the orange (lol) 38 db reducing earplugs you get from home depot. Most the time I don't use them when we play, but it's also not nearly as loud when your standing above the speakers, the crowd is what really gets hit. This tour we were giving away earplugs like candy. It was actually kinda funny because I would walk around before we played, and lots of people would scoff at me, "Earplugs? I'm heavy loving metal man!" but as soon as we put those amps on stage, or when we would sound check those people would come up and grab a few. Pro-tip, if you're in any band that plays bars, give the staff earplugs when you get there, usually good for a couple free beers/and or shots.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've just got a really nice 15 watt valve head that I like the sound of, am I right in thinking I can put a power amp between the head and the cab to get more volume? It makes a great sound but is a touch too quiet in a band setting

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Does the head have a line-out or FX loop? I don't know of any power amps than can handle speaker-level inputs, but that seems like some sort of oddball PA setup, and most places would just mic a small amp, I'd think.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

I've just got a really nice 15 watt valve head that I like the sound of, am I right in thinking I can put a power amp between the head and the cab to get more volume? It makes a great sound but is a touch too quiet in a band setting

You don't really want to do this- the power section of the tube head is a current amplifier driving a low impedance speaker load.

A better option might be changing your cab, or changing the speakers to higher SPL speakers. What cab are you using?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

As Schypyder said, you can use a separate power amp (as long as you have your amp has a safe load itself, through speakers or a load box of some sort) if you've got some manner of line out, either from an FX loop or a dedicated send, but, in terms of live sound reinforcement, there's absolutely no reason not to just mic up whatever small head or small cabinet that you like, if the sound is good.

Theoretically, your 15 watt tube amp should put out enough power to be more than loud enough though. If you're having trouble with volume levels in rehearsal, that's a different question. Guitar cabs, especially closed back ones are very directional. Start by by tilting your cab up towards your head a bit, if you're having a hard time hearing yourself, but your bandmates can hear you okay. If that's not enough, can you consider an extension cabinet? Having more speakers, even with the same amount of power can drastically increase how loud you are as well. Or, maybe your band mates need to turn down? Maybe you should all save your ears a bit.

In a worst-case scenario, ask your singer, should you have one, to share the PA with you, and bring an sm57 to rehearsal. Get good at micing yourself up.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Thanks all for the info.
I have a main gigging amp, but this little thing sounds so sweet, it's a really basic little thing that overdrives naturally at a low volume, and I wanted to capture that if possible.
I get what you are all saying and again, thanks for the info.
I'll try a 4 x 12 cab and see how it does, it's not make or break to use the amp, we aren't a loud band as such - I just don't want to push the amp more than I am as I found a really sweet spot in its natural break up, I am just concerned it is a little low output.

It's been a fun experiment anyway, and has shown me I really want a lower output but good valve head, I am thinking of getting a 30 watt if this doesn't work out.

It does have a line out, and I am unsure what is in the cab, it's a 2 x 12 - I'll take the back off later. For home use it's absolutely perfect though, really lush.