Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

CORN NOG posted:

I wish that whenever someone gets put on chat probation, whoever reported them got a notification. It wouldn't change anything, and I've probably forgotten about the toxic jerkwad five matches ago, but having a thing pop up like "wow you were right, that dude was terrible" would make reporting people feel more worthwhile (and also it'd make me smile)

Smh if you don't primarily use reports after ice wall griefing people to the breaking point of exploding in chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

whatspeakyou posted:

Goon in-house highlight from last night: I hear footsteps and then promptly poo poo my pants.

Hah, that looks awesome; it must have happened after I went to bed. I hope you guys keep them up, they're entertaining as hell, even when you have the spectator spot, or maybe even moreso then, since you zoom out and catch the whole battle and do a little casting.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

DrSeRRoD posted:

Hah, that looks awesome; it must have happened after I went to bed. I hope you guys keep them up, they're entertaining as hell, even when you have the spectator spot, or maybe even moreso then, since you zoom out and catch the whole battle and do a little casting.

Funny you mention that. Here's a 4 part series via spectator mode from a few matches last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxGktLJscY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgSIE13zyY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJAOetERCjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIcHmFCayzc

Also, thanks for watching the stream!

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 22, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Cage Kicker posted:

I never leave games early and I also never get stuck into the last seconds of a match. Does causation=correlation here?
Same here but it's probably just luck.

Leavers in general do seem pretty rare to me.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

CORN NOG posted:

I wish that whenever someone gets put on chat probation, whoever reported them got a notification. It wouldn't change anything, and I've probably forgotten about the toxic jerkwad five matches ago, but having a thing pop up like "wow you were right, that dude was terrible" would make reporting people feel more worthwhile (and also it'd make me smile)
This is my favorite part of the Dota 2 report system. (Also, if you successfully report someone in Dota 2 it increases your report cap for the week, so there's an incentive to use them on jerks that deserve it.)

Verranicus posted:

I don't understand people complaining that the health bar is hard to see.
It's less that it's inherently hard to see and more that it's off in your peripheral vision when you're focusing on the center of the screen.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Which is why the gasping sound effect is so important.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
maybe it's because i played a shitload of rts but the whole deal of having UI be on the edges of the screen never bothered me. In fact I kind of want UI elements kept out of the center of the screen which is the info i really want to focus the most on.

not that I'm good at clicking on people, just the peripheral UI does not seem like a real problem

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

I never leave games early and I also never get stuck into the last seconds of a match. Does causation=correlation here?

I try not to leave even if it's round end and my team got steamrolled. Usually it seems like the people who were raging the worst about how they were doing everything and the team sucked will leave, and the ones that have the patience to stick with it for the next round tend to be better players. Constantly leaving and fishing for a better game may be the worst way to actually get one. Unless I get a loot crate, in which case I've got to drop immediately and go get my sweet duplicate sprays.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zoness posted:

maybe it's because i played a shitload of rts but the whole deal of having UI be on the edges of the screen never bothered me. In fact I kind of want UI elements kept out of the center of the screen which is the info i really want to focus the most on.

not that I'm good at clicking on people, just the peripheral UI does not seem like a real problem

Most gamers are used to peripheral UI since the information is there, if there's a major state change you'll usually catch it in the corner of your eyes if you're attentive, and it doesn't overly clutter the center of the screen. That is, the part of the screen that's most important to the player's ability to read silhouettes and situationally adapt.

The vast majority of FPSes do it this way for a reason. And some, like the CoDs, do away with health bars altogether. I don't have to be staring directly at the corner of my screen to see that an orange square has just turned white with a flash and a little chime to tell me an ability's off cooldown, there's enough peripheral information there that I don't need to distract myself from the actual game in front of me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cage Kicker posted:

I don't think I've left a single game mid-progress and I've definitely seen quite a few "load in and see the DEFEAT screen" matches

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

And why that "oh god my shield broke I'm dying oh wait I just took 25 damage" sound needs to be changed for Symmetra-shielded teammates.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I haven't read this whole thread but I guess I"m the only person that thinks Symmetra's turrets need to be nerfed badly. Given I spent the afternoon wreaking people on defense with someone else playing Symmetra and the other team being unable to advance at all.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Symmetra's turrets are going to give her a pretty fast teleporter, which isn't really consistently avoidable since if one of her teammates contests the corridor she places them in, said turrets will almost certainly damage done. However, if the turets are repeatedly killing people then those victims are very obstinate in choosing to die to the same thing over and over again.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 22, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sbaldrick posted:

I haven't read this whole thread but I guess I"m the only person that thinks Symmetra's turrets need to be nerfed badly. Given I spent the afternoon wreaking people on defense with someone else playing Symmetra and the other team being unable to advance at all.

Yes you are.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wait till people figure out offensive teleports and every capture map team has a Symmetra.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Incoherence posted:

It's less that it's inherently hard to see and more that it's off in your peripheral vision when you're focusing on the center of the screen.

Yeah it's not hard to look at and read it easily when you're bouncing around spawn punching basketballs. It's much harder to split your attention to it when you're fighting a Tracer and a D.va while trying to stay out of the line of fire of a Widow and making sure the Mercy who's healing you isn't taking hits from a flanker. You need to be able to read it in a fraction of a second without actually looking at it.

Ironically, the UI design makes it way easier to see enemy HP (bright red bar for HP contrasting with empty space for no HP, near where you're aiming) than your own. That's a complete reversal from almost any other game in this genre, where they usually don't show you enemy HP at all but make your own very obvious.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just looked up the most popular 'picking a tf2 hud' video on youtube and most of the recommended ones move the health bars up and closer to the middle from the default so I don't think I'm totally insane for thinking that'd be nice. I'm not saying it needs to be moved for everyone, I just like customizable UI's in general.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Verranicus posted:

I don't understand people complaining that the health bar is hard to see.

What screen size and resolution do you play at?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Every time you take damage your character should say 'I'm currently in the process of being shot, I should find a nearby health kit or go see if my friends Mercy or Lucio can restore me to full health'

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

And why that "oh god my shield broke I'm dying oh wait I just took 25 damage" sound needs to be changed for Symmetra-shielded teammates.

Not going to lie, that's caused a few moments of unnecessary panic unless I'm a Mercy or Lucio because you just sort of get used to being hurt and near death all the time when you're trying to keep other people alive.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Every time you take damage your character should say 'I'm currently in the process of being shot, I should find a nearby health kit or go see if my friends Mercy or Lucio can restore me to full health'

this but the character also breaks down and cries if there is no lucio or mercy on the team

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Zoness posted:

Symmetra's turrets are going to give her a pretty fast teleporter, which isn't really consistently avoidable since if one of her teammates contests the corridor she places them in, said turrets will almost certainly damage done. However, if the turets are repeatedly killing people then those victims are very obstinate in choosing to die to the same thing over and over again.

12 turrets locks down a whole bunch of maps

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I just wish D. Va wouldn't get shook the moment she stubs her toe.

I hear NNNNNNGH! then I look at my 450 HP.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Set up your teleporter as bait for a trap, maker her walk into your turrets to get it. She'll still probably get it, but she'll die for it.

All mccree really needs is a tighter spread on fan so the bullets will probably all hit the smaller framed heroes.

Also it's almost like people were saying before the mccree nerf that if you nerf mccree the tracer and genji cancer would grow uncontrolled because he was the only real counter to them.

The problem with FtH is that it doesn't finish firing until after the person is unstunned from a flash, like the last few bullets come out after the flash wears off. This means a Tracer and just mash rewind, or that Reaper can mash Wraith Walk etc. Even if all 6 bullets hit them consistently, you won't actually kill them most of the time.

It's really bad when a Genji can mash out reflect, bounce the last three shots into McCree (when a Genji reflects FtH it gets way more accurate) and then melee dash into the McCree to kill him.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

Literally the second game of the day.

Yeah, criticizing random strangers' play is usually going to get them salty, I'm not sure what's surprising about this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Two legendaries?? Be still my hea-

:barf: Gee thanks Blizzard

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Macaluso posted:

:barf: Gee thanks Blizzard

LOL. At least hockey Lucio is kinda funny. And it could have been worse, you could have gotten helmet hockey Lucio.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I bought helmet hockey lucio because I wanted the ugliest one.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The problem with FtH is that it doesn't finish firing until after the person is unstunned from a flash, like the last few bullets come out after the flash wears off. This means a Tracer and just mash rewind, or that Reaper can mash Wraith Walk etc. Even if all 6 bullets hit them consistently, you won't actually kill them most of the time.

It's really bad when a Genji can mash out reflect, bounce the last three shots into McCree (when a Genji reflects FtH it gets way more accurate) and then melee dash into the McCree to kill him.

Did they shorten the stun on flashbang? Because they really shouldn't have done that.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Flashbang has always lasted for only 3 FtH shots. It used to do 235 damage before the stun wore off, now it only does 160 so Genji hold down one of two different cooldowns to escape it then murder McCree.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
You mean the purple lucio? :confused: There are terrible skins like cybergoth zarya and those pharah legendaries, lucio's hockey skins aren't that disgustingly bad.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Can't you just kill tracer with a single headshot after you stun?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sanctum posted:

Yeah, but you can also fan her down still if all three bullets connect

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sanctum posted:

There are terrible skins like cybergoth zarya and those pharah legendaries

hmm

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Sanctum posted:

You mean the purple lucio? :confused: There are terrible skins like cybergoth zarya and those pharah legendaries, lucio's hockey skins aren't that disgustingly bad.

Yeah but if the Tracer is jumping around like a hyper active bunny (like she should) then even if she gets stunned she will slide like 20 feet and you have time for one shot, and if you miss Tracer mashes E and then murders you.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Sanctum posted:

All Pharah legendaries are good.

KoB
May 1, 2009
mechaqueen4life

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:lol: the avoid this player function may have passed unto the ages but you can still nope right the gently caress out of a group in discord when you see that guy in there.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
If you play Zen, do you focus on healing most or doing damage most, or switch back and forth constantly? I've tried him a few times but I'm just bad at figuring him out.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I focus on the hero select screen probably choosing a different character.

Jk I don't play zenyatta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Healing people with him takes a split second of attention. You spend most of the time trying to nail people in the head with orbs. If you wanted to pocket heal someone from cover you'd play mercy.