Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Black Sails is great and everyone should watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

Alright, so after giving the first episode a shot a few years ago and not being especially taken with it, I've decided to give Vikings another shot. Is there some point where it kicks into high gear that I should stick it out for, or will I know in the first few episodes whether or not my first impression was correct?

The first season started out slow for me too when I first watched it when it came out. like a poster just said, first season is a bit disjointed, Gabriel Byrne is miscast imo, there's some subplots that are a lot more boring than others, but it's definitely worth sticking with, as it becomes an addictive, hardly ever a dull moment or character type show once it finds it's groove. The second season also starts off with a lot of steam and the show elevates itself even more. You should definitely stick with it as you're able to binge watch your way through the early episode hump and quickly get to when it truly starts excelling.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Poor Ragnar tanking his movie career with the Warcraft film. At least he has a pretty cool death coming in Vikings.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Warcraft has already made $300 million.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Does that actually matter for an actor's career when the film is getting demolished by the critics? Genuine question.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The people in the lovely Transformers movies mostly have fine careers. All the Adam Sandler movies make bank with the same group of actors. Nobody cares about the critics when your movie has big explosions or low brow jokes.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Does that actually matter for an actor's career when the film is getting demolished by the critics? Genuine question.

Why should it? It's not like his acting is what makes it a critical failure, or he's a diva who's had a hand in the movie sucking by creating a poisonous atmosphere, or hasn't already proven he can turn in a top notch, scene stealing, charisma packed peformance when working with good material.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
movies that do well at the box office but panned by critics usually only hurts the people that watch them

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Mu Zeta posted:

Warcraft has already made $300 million.

This somehow feels more relevent today than when it first aired in 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigM-F4oSIE&t=30s

Edit: Also The Critic was a good series, and worthy of binging.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Vikings update: Just finished Season 1 and yeah, this show has gotten pretty good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wafflecopper posted:

If movies like gods of egypt don't even so much as make a dent on the actors' careers, then warcraft ain't gonna do poo poo.

Welcome to Hollywood in 2016, everybody makes some poo poo films once in awhile now. As long as they pay is good and there's enough CG nobody seems to care.

Mu Zeta posted:

The people in the lovely Transformers movies mostly have fine careers. All the Adam Sandler movies make bank with the same group of actors. Nobody cares about the critics when your movie has big explosions or low brow jokes.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Black sails don't just pick up it starts to snowball. Season 3 was even better than season 2, which was better than season 1.

Nice to read!
I'm a bit turned off by all the rape. Felt really out of place, too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

If movies like gods of egypt don't even so much as make a dent on the actors' careers, then warcraft ain't gonna do poo poo.

Welcome to Hollywood in 2016, everybody makes some poo poo films once in awhile now. As long as they pay is good and there's enough CG nobody seems to care.

I'd like to think Duncan Jones cares, but he was likely hamstrung by the studio at every turn like Joss Whedon was with Age of Ultron. Warcraft at least has the opportunity to learn from its mistakes and have better sequels. Most notably adding Blizzard's style of humor instead of taking itself completely seriously, and focusing on a single story instead of trying to be an epic grand tour of the universe. I feel like with a proper script they could do Arthas' downfall at least decently.

To be on topic with TV, I'm considering catching up on The Leftovers. Is it worth it or is it overly frustrating? I'm asking as a fan of Lost who didn't hate the ending, but also isn't a fan of Lindelof wedging every idea he has into a script like he did with Prometheus.

Also considering getting into Veep, which I figure must be doing something right.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Acht posted:

Nice to read!
I'm a bit turned off by all the rape. Felt really out of place, too.

If you mean the whole tent thing with Max, that totally stops and goes in a pretty interesting/badass direction later on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Leftovers season 2 is absolutely fantastic with some powerhouse acting performances. I cannot believe Damon Lindelof pulled it off.

They drop a lot of the lovely side characters and pretty much start over.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

The Leftovers season 2 is absolutely fantastic with some powerhouse acting performances. I cannot believe Damon Lindelof pulled it off.

They drop a lot of the lovely side characters and pretty much start over.

Good to know. I'm about midway through the first season. Are the Guilty Remnants always just weird creepy assholes?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. There's a bit less of them for most of season 2 though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blunt Talk is loving brilliant.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes. There's a bit less of them for most of season 2 though.

Yeah. They start to make a bit more sense eventually. At least on an emotional level you start to understand why they're doing what they're doing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rocksicles posted:

Patrick Stewart is loving amazing in this.

I just devoured the first season of Veep in one sitting. It feels like I've watched several White House-based shows since The West Wing, but most of them turn out mediocre. Not this one though, I found myself losing my poo poo over some of the stuff that goes down. Especially the line about trying to pump Jonah for information being like trying to use a croissant as a dildo (it doesn't get the job done and it makes a loving mess) :magical:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Rocksicles posted:

The trailer looks fun, gonna give it a try for sure.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm on Ep 6 of Peaky Blinders and it's poo poo. Like a really poor wannabe Boardwalk Empire.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I think most people who watch movies understand that a lot of good actors will appear in lovely films for a paycheck. To quote Michael Caine, "I've made an awful lot of films. In fact, I've made a lot of awful films."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrakkorzog posted:

I think most people who watch movies understand that a lot of good actors will appear in lovely films for a paycheck. To quote Michael Caine, "I've made an awful lot of films. In fact, I've made a lot of awful films."

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Justified was already great and then the episode where they try to return they money Winona stole just blew me away. What a tense hour of TV. And then the very next episode you have Mags give that incredible speech at the town hall meeting where I was just like "Yes! Preach! I know you've murdered people and smashed your own son's hand with a hammer onscreen but who even cares?"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm on Ep 6 of Peaky Blinders and it's poo poo. Like a really poor wannabe Boardwalk Empire.

I personally thought it was a better Boardwalk Empire. I mean its definitely UK Boardwalk Empire however you look at it.

Boardwalk was only really good because of Buscemi, the story just went all over the place. Peaky feels a bit more focused? IDK different strokes for different folks I guess.

Wheat Loaf posted:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Yeah that's a drat good line. Which film was he referring to? I remember reading that exact line but I forget.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Over the past couple of weeks I've been working through Fargo (just finished S2) and god drat has it been amazing. Easily one of the best shows I've seen in years upon years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's a drat good line. Which film was he referring to? I remember reading that exact line but I forget.

I believe that was Jaws: The Revenge.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Zaphod42 posted:

Jaws: The Revenge

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Just finished The Newsroom and while it ended on a perfect note I still wish there was more. I wanna hear Jeff Daniels tear Trump a new rear end in a top hat, damnit!

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I personally thought it was a better Boardwalk Empire. I mean its definitely UK Boardwalk Empire however you look at it.

Can't help but refer to it as "Peaky Bloindahs" in a strained Brummie accent whenever I have cause to discuss it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just binged The Girlfriend Experience.

I've never seen a main protagonist written and acted to be so inscrutable and yet end up being so compelling. poo poo doesn't get tied up, life goes on unresolved, and nothing is explained to the viewer. Ambiguity is king, and your interpretation of people and events in this series will be as valid as the next person's, who's view of things is likely to be completely different to yours. Is she selfish, is she powerful, is she being used, is she the user, is she happy or is she fooling herself...? it's great.

Give it a try it's well worth it, it comes in thirteen half-hour episodes so you can binge the whole thing in an evening if you have nothing else on. Just remember to leave any last-century hangups about sex work (and it is portrayed as simply work) you might have at the door.

(I'm sure that isn't an issue here, but you never know)

I reckon this is this year's hidden gem, like UnReal was last year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Zaphod42 posted:

Boardwalk was only really good because of Buscemi, the story just went all over the place. Peaky feels a bit more focused? IDK different strokes for different folks I guess.

My main problem is that the characters are largely unbelievable and their dialogue is terrible, especially the police inspector and Grace. Inspector Campbell is like a narrator who apparently needs to explain the rather simple plot to a 5 year old. His scenes are unwatchable. Boardwalk has its issues with the plot going kind of into a dead end and being inscrutable at times but all the characters and the setting were spot on.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I watched the first episode of the Girlfriend Experience and thought it should have been named The Boredom Experience. It was just so unbelievably dull to me. Every character(especially the protagonist) seemed so uninteresting, blasé and just like an uncharismatic carbon copy of every other young urban NYC professional character archetype from other similar shows.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

savinhill posted:

I watched the first episode of the Girlfriend Experience and thought it should have been named The Boredom Experience. It was just so unbelievably dull to me. Every character(especially the protagonist) seemed so uninteresting, blasé and just like an uncharismatic carbon copy of every other young urban NYC professional character archetype from other similar shows.

I can totally see how this could be the interpretation after just one episode but I would urge you to give it another couple before dismissing it outright, they're only a half-hour each.

That said, even though there's more to it than that, I can't in good faith call you wrong in your initial judgement about what you've seen of it so far. If that's how you still see it after 3 or 4 episodes then it definitely isn't your cup of tea.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I binge-watched the first few seasons of 30 Rock several years ago, but lost interest and gave up somewhere along the way. Now I'm starting over with my wife, who is watching it for the first time, and we're both enjoying it -- me a lot more this time, and her much more than she expected to. We both loved The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but she has never been a big Tina Fey fan, so she was really skeptical about a show with her as the lead. So far, it's even funnier than I remembered.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Closing in on the end of season 1 of The Leftovers. I'm sort of bored with the GR story, but that episode where Nora went to New York was excellent and then the one focusing on Tom after that was great too.

Tried getting into The Birthday Boys because I love sketch comedy and Bob Odenkirk, but I just didn't get it. It seemed like most of the humor is that they're playing everything straight but in a self-aware "get it?" sort of way. The sketches have funny premises, but it seems like they ride on a wacky premise more than actual content of a sketch.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sticklefifer posted:

Closing in on the end of season 1 of The Leftovers. I'm sort of bored with the GR story, but that episode where Nora went to New York was excellent and then the one focusing on Tom after that was great too.

Tried getting into The Birthday Boys because I love sketch comedy and Bob Odenkirk, but I just didn't get it. It seemed like most of the humor is that they're playing everything straight but in a self-aware "get it?" sort of way. The sketches have funny premises, but it seems like they ride on a wacky premise more than actual content of a sketch.

Season 2 of The Leftovers is a mild reboot of the concept with the same characters, pretty much universally perceived as heads and shoulders above season 1 as far as pacing and mystery goes. Everything they change is for the better.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

sticklefifer posted:

Re: Birthday Boys, try skipping to the second season. The first one was a little rough as they seemed to just be putting a lot of their stage material on film, but the second is legitimately great sketch comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was sold on Birthday Boys the second I realized what they were doing with that Silicon Valley garage sketch.