Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

You could sell it and get one that better fits your needs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Please don't use actual pliers on a fountain pen, what you want to use are rubber coated spark plug pliers.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kerbtree posted:

Please don't use actual pliers on a fountain pen, what you want to use are rubber coated spark plug pliers.

I got mine from harbor freight for like $5 or something. They're exactly what you need to grip the section and pull the barrel off of the tennon after you've heated the shellac enough to soften it with vintage pens.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The pen is behaving today. It must have realized I was pissed at it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My mother-in-law is in town and sprung an old pen her husband never used. It's a Recife piston filler. I gave it a detergent wash and filled it up. Some of the ink from the fill snuck in between the nib and the pen and sprung out on us, but it was otherwise holding ink fine. Too well, in fact. It write pretty stuff. The nib is thick! I have to put quite a bit of pressure on it to get it to flow. Any ideas?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The nib tines are too close together, they need to be spread out slightly.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
anyone here have a midori camel notebook? I have a brown passport size, and I'd like to compliment it with a fullsize, but I'm not sure of the colour

how is it?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Landsknecht posted:

anyone here have a midori camel notebook? I have a brown passport size, and I'd like to compliment it with a fullsize, but I'm not sure of the colour

how is it?

Brown.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

The nib tines are too close together, they need to be spread out slightly.

I spread them out a bit. What worked for me was pressing the nib on some paper and then sneaking a box cutter blade (clean, new) between the tines. I was able to then wedge it in there and give it a few minutes.

I won't write with just the weight of the pen alone, but any additional pressure writes fine. It is a heavy pen with a fat, fancy nib so I count that a good run.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

A fountain pen should write with no pressure at all.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

A fountain pen should write with no pressure at all.

Heh one thing at a time. I am seeing how it holds up like this before I spread the tines any further.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So I was busy feeling smug about how none of my TWSBIs had any issues only to find that the cap broke on my Vac 700-- the metal threaded section snapped from the rest in my purse.

Oh well, I got a response in under five minutes to my request for a fresh cap at least.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Got a bottle of Bay State Blue

drat this is a pretty colour.

Let's see how long it takes to eat a Dollar 717i

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

Got a bottle of Bay State Blue

drat this is a pretty colour.

Let's see how long it takes to eat a Dollar 717i
Rubbing alcohol can clean up Bay State Blue. Just keep that in mind.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Please excuse my terrible handwriting. My mother bought this pen from a local guy, intending to give it to me in a year as a graduation present, but she was too excited.

Which is fine because now I can show off my new beautiful pen. Light enough to be a daily writer, too, and the nib's a #6 so when I inevitably swap it out I'm not hurting for options.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Please excuse my terrible handwriting. My mother bought this pen from a local guy, intending to give it to me in a year as a graduation present, but she was too excited.

Which is fine because now I can show off my new beautiful pen. Light enough to be a daily writer, too, and the nib's a #6 so when I inevitably swap it out I'm not hurting for options.

contact information for this local guy please

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, I got hold of a VP with a factory stub in it at the weekend. Lovely bit of kit, I should wander off from the work-safe confines of Fine more often.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bertrand Hustle posted:

There's a part of me that always wants to be snobby about kit pens, but with the right wood the brass comes out looking really sharp. The wood doesn't look lacquered; if you get a chance polish it regularly with beeswax and it'll start to take on some character where your hand touches it as well as staying protected.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The colour combo on the kit pen is really nice.

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist
Fountain pen master race

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I bought a pilot petit and I cannot get this thing to work. I took the cartridge out and removed the plastic stopper then reinserted it.

Ink sort of flowed most of the way to the pen tip, and never comes out.

How do I use this thing? I bought it because it was cheaper and wanted to try out a fountain pen. I can see ink most of the way out of the cartridge.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Try running the nib under water for a little bit and see if anything flows out, then start writing. Or wrap your nib in a paper towel to see if you can pull some of the ink into the nib that way.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I pulled the cartridge off and spilled ink all over me but most of it got into the pen, so it writes now.

I'm not sure why but does the ink go from the cartridge into a secondary well, then into a column to the nib???

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It looks a bit like they use the same sort of feed as the Varsities and V-n use.

It's been ages since I've had a new varsity, but I did refill one ages ago and it look a while for the feed to get saturated well enough to write. Not that it really helps now, but putting it point-down (with the cap on, of course) in a cup or whatever for a half-hour ought to get it to work just fine. That's just kinda how it goes with an empty system and a new cartridge — ordinarily you'd fill the pen through the nib, so the feed wouldn't be dry, and if you've used the pen before, it'll also probably not be bone dry (unless you were switching colors and cleaned it out properly).

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ah ok well I'll clean it next cartridge and go from there maybe. The cap is half full of ink and the feed now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Pilot Petit 1 uses a wick feed system and it can take quite a while from when you first insert a cartridge to when it's ready to write.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Kerbtree posted:

So, I got hold of a VP with a factory stub in it at the weekend. Lovely bit of kit, I should wander off from the work-safe confines of Fine more often.

Get a custom ground architech nib:
http://imgur.com/a/9RtxC

I used a medium nib. Pilot's stub is nice but I still like custom stubs better than pilot's.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I want to learn how to make somewhat artistic dividing lines that would go, for example, between two sections of a page. When I search for calligraphy dividing line, it comes up with a bunch of (very fancy) examples of what I'm looking for, but presented as something to paste into a computer-produced document:

I don't need anything as fancy as that image, but I'd like to be able to reliably draw something a bit more involved than a simple horizontal line. I'm not sure I have the correct name, but this is the only search that has gotten me anything close. Is this the kind of thing that would be in a calligraphy book?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You might have better search results looking for how-to's on decorative or calligraphy flourishes, I think that's what those are called.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

calligraphy flourishes
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. It is still hard to find actual instructions, the search results are dominated by clip art.

e: I found a picasa album that was filled with photos of the pages of Calligraphic Flourishing: A New Approach to an Ancient Art. I think those dividers could be considered 'tailpieces'.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 25, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I got a bottle of Heart of Darkness, and it came with a free Charlie pen. It leaks a lot of ink into the cap, even after just a few seconds. Can I fix that? It seemed fine for the first couple days.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

taqueso posted:

I got a bottle of Heart of Darkness, and it came with a free Charlie pen. It leaks a lot of ink into the cap, even after just a few seconds. Can I fix that? It seemed fine for the first couple days.

If it has the normal Noodler's ebonite feed, try seating it so that less of the fins are exposed. If ink is just dripping out, it's because the pressure inside of the pen is able to interchange air and ink freely. Making sure the pen is at least 75% full as an eyedropper, and limiting the freedom with which air can backfill the space should help some.

Alternately, I'll take it off of your hands. I've wanted one of those little experiments, but haven't had a reason to buy one of the bottles of ink they're packaged with.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

taqueso posted:

Where'd you buy the HoD that it came with a Charlie? I thought that colour came with a modified Preppy

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist
Just got done testing some Noodler's Apache Sunset with my TWSBI Diamond 580 AL with 1.1 Stub.

Talk about a beautiful color! The shading runs from a light yellow to medium orange (before it starts bleeding like a stuck pig).

I still have mixed feelings though, because yellow... I just don't know if I can write with yellow ink and be taken seriously, even for signatures.

Still, this has to be the most fun I've had with a new ink in a while!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

Where'd you buy the HoD that it came with a Charlie? I thought that colour came with a modified Preppy

Goulet does now. I may have just purchased an unnecessary bottle of HoD for the Charlie.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, I got the HoD from Goulet. I tried topping off the ink and moving the feed in the Charlie and then it started really leaking a lot of ink. I had to go, so I put it away. Hopefully I will have time to look at it tomorrow. I will try greasing the threads.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

CrimsonSaber posted:

Just got done testing some Noodler's Apache Sunset with my TWSBI Diamond 580 AL with 1.1 Stub.

Talk about a beautiful color! The shading runs from a light yellow to medium orange (before it starts bleeding like a stuck pig).

I still have mixed feelings though, because yellow... I just don't know if I can write with yellow ink and be taken seriously, even for signatures.

Still, this has to be the most fun I've had with a new ink in a while!

Wow, I never thought I'd want an orange/yellow ink but that is now a wishlist item. I only have a few purple, greens, and blues actually. What are everyone's more out-there favorite colors?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses is pretty nice. It's sorta a dusty pink.

I also have a 2d formula (gold-free) Rouge Hematite which is a pretty striking red. (Also a very prone to gumming up if left unattended for a day or so red).

Herbin doesn't really do “out there” colors, assuming your list is what you'd consider normal, but "the jewel of inks" is pretty accurate — even good ol' dusty-purple-grey Poussière de Lune is kinda gem-like. (That's also a favorite, by the way).

I also remember hearing very nice things about the Caren d'Asche colors before they were discontinued and then started up again: anyone have an opinion on the newer ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
I use Noodler's Purple Martin. I really like it.