Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Forget about Skip, we're just 8 and a half hours away from the premier of the motherfucking Bill Simmons Program!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Niwrad posted:

Getting mad at Skip Bayless is like getting mad at a wrestler for saying mean things.

Wrestlers being mean doesn't actively change sports discourse for the worse.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Lets stop talking about wrestling.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Badfinger posted:

Wrestlers being mean doesn't actively change sports discourse for the worse.
And neither did Skip. Sports discourse suffers not when people make outlandish claims regarding on the field performance, but instead spend too much time focusing on "the issues". That's not new. We've always had pretentious, sticks up their asses sportswriters casting every single moment of every single person to ever play a sport lives' as a passion play. Skip does that a bit, but I believe it is/was largely at the behest of ESPN.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What is a passion play

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

General Dog posted:

Forget about Skip, we're just 8 and a half hours away from the premier of the motherfucking Bill Simmons Program!

How excited was Billy boy saying the f word in the teaser. Lmao its gonna stink

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

General Dog posted:

Judging from that dumb poo poo trailer it will likely be so edgy we will need gauze to watch.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

tenspott posted:

And neither did Skip. Sports discourse suffers not when people make outlandish claims regarding on the field performance, but instead spend too much time focusing on "the issues". That's not new. We've always had pretentious, sticks up their asses sportswriters casting every single moment of every single person to ever play a sport lives' as a passion play. Skip does that a bit, but I believe it is/was largely at the behest of ESPN.

I disagree pretty categorically with basically all your points. It doesn't matter if it's new or original, or ESPN was literally writing and scripting every rant, the point is that it's bad and Skip and SAS honed it to a razor's edge. Tim Tebow being a Winning Winner Who Wins distracts from things with impact like actual reporting or analysis. Even the things like everyone who covers football feeling like it's required to say The National Football League like there are any other professional football leagues that matter are bad for the sport. It's all sugar and no substance.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
With all fairness to Bill, he did recently state that the shots of him for the promo were filmed before they had completely finalized what the show was going to be.

That being said, the show's probably gonna suck anyway, it sounds like it's gonna be some hot takes up front followed by 1-1 interviews and/or group discussion, so....basically a filmed version of his podcast which who cares, I never once thought his podcast would be improved with video. Though I'm guessing the show is going to steal some interesting guests that could have had a much better/more in-depth interview on the podcast, so that's just great.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

What is a passion play

It's literally a name for any play about Jesus' crucifiction, dating back to the middle ages (which is where the Mel Gibson movie gets its name), but in this context I believe it would connote overwrought player narratives.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

With all fairness to Bill, he did recently state that the shots of him for the promo were filmed before they had completely finalized what the show was going to be.

That being said, the show's probably gonna suck anyway, it sounds like it's gonna be some hot takes up front followed by 1-1 interviews and/or group discussion, so....basically a filmed version of his podcast which who cares, I never once thought his podcast would be improved with video. Though I'm guessing the show is going to steal some interesting guests that could have had a much better/more in-depth interview on the podcast, so that's just great.

Bill Simmons never has hot takes, everything in that promo was room temperature at best.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bill has hot takes, but they all involve trades.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

This STINKS. What a waste of the creative freedom of hbo

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I'm falling asleep right now. This is pretty awful.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
DID HE AT LEAST SAY gently caress!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Stick to writing Bill.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

who says no

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

cant believe I ever listened to sports talk that didn't say gently caress. Game changer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

davecrazy posted:

Stick to writing Bill.

Disagree, people will quote that instead of linking videos I don't watch.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I thought the Barkley interview was okay, but it felt heavily edited down. And then Affleck's deflategate rant was just funny for how lengthy and vociferous it was. Oh and considering all the ways in which this year has sucked giving it the "belt" felt off.

All in all, it was perfectly fine, but not something I'll tune in for week to week.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Thank god Bill Simmons has a premium cable show so a famous person can deliver the average drunk Boston moron rant against Deflategate

Afflect literally calls Brady "loving classy" twice

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

xbilkis posted:

Thank god Bill Simmons has a premium cable show so a famous person can deliver the average drunk Boston moron rant against Deflategate

Afflect literally calls Brady "loving classy" twice

Awesome, I've got a new Wednesday comedy to look forward to!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

This STINKS. What a waste of the creative freedom of hbo

Give his show to Katie Nolan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Trast posted:

Give his show to Katie Nolan.

A woman's place is in the Fox family

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Hes not good on TV, he's never been good on TV.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I dunno, watching it now it's exactly what you think a Bill Simmons talk show would look like. Basically 70% ranking things and arguing about said rankings. As someone with a pretty high BS tolerance, the show isn't horrendous, it's just nothing.

I'm not sure what the good version of this show looks like, but I know that Simmons should never monologue for more than 60 seconds.

edit: does Affleck have a lazy eye? Something seemed off with him

edit 2: it's a nice set though

edit 3: I think you could hide Simmons' shortcomings as a tv presence best if you switched to a panel format where he's basically the moderator and he can talk to Chuck Klosterman and Wesley Morris and his old friend Jackie "Turd" O'Malley from Holy Cross all at once about race and the NHL or the latest dead wrestler or whatever.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 23, 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think what it boils down to is Bill Simmons is not a personality that people will pay a subscription to watch for half an hour on a Wednesday night. He was an entertaining writer and I like his podcast, but if his show is just more of the same in video format, who cares?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Badfinger posted:

I disagree pretty categorically with basically all your points. It doesn't matter if it's new or original, or ESPN was literally writing and scripting every rant, the point is that it's bad and Skip and SAS honed it to a razor's edge. Tim Tebow being a Winning Winner Who Wins distracts from things with impact like actual reporting or analysis. Even the things like everyone who covers football feeling like it's required to say The National Football League like there are any other professional football leagues that matter are bad for the sport. It's all sugar and no substance.

I don't think we're as far apart as you indicated. We both agree that "all sugar and no substance" is tiresome. I just think it's unfair to pin it on 2 people who are overtly performing caricatures when there are others who are much more culpable. I'd rather point the finger at the Mitch Alboms and Rick Reillys of the world. They are idiots who actually believe their awful work is of merit. I'd also blame the people at ESPN who decided that showing actual sports isn't nearly as good as another outside the lines. As much as I loved watching some early 30 for 30s like The U, do we really need a 6 part movie about OJ? You can hate Skip and SAS all you want, but at worst they are symptoms, not the cause, of bad sports broadcasting.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tenspott posted:

do we really need a 6 part movie about OJ?

Without addressing whatever this argument is about, yes, we do. Go watch it.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

tenspott posted:

I don't think we're as far apart as you indicated. We both agree that "all sugar and no substance" is tiresome. I just think it's unfair to pin it on 2 people who are overtly performing caricatures when there are others who are much more culpable. I'd rather point the finger at the Mitch Alboms and Rick Reillys of the world. They are idiots who actually believe their awful work is of merit. I'd also blame the people at ESPN who decided that showing actual sports isn't nearly as good as another outside the lines. As much as I loved watching some early 30 for 30s like The U, do we really need a 6 part movie about OJ? You can hate Skip and SAS all you want, but at worst they are symptoms, not the cause, of bad sports broadcasting.

But sometimes Outside The LInes does actual reporting?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think what it boils down to is Bill Simmons is not a personality that people will pay a subscription to watch for half an hour on a Wednesday night. He was an entertaining writer and I like his podcast, but if his show is just more of the same in video format, who cares?

No one is paying for an HBO subscription just for Bill Simmons and I don't think anyone at HBO honestly thinks that. However, if you've got HBO NOW or are sharing an HBO GO sub/login and you like sports you'll probably at least check it out.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

soggybagel posted:

No one is paying for an HBO subscription just for Bill Simmons and I don't think anyone at HBO honestly thinks that. However, if you've got HBO NOW or are sharing an HBO GO sub/login and you like sports you'll probably at least check it out.
It sure worked for Joe Buck!

When does his show air on HBO again?

It will end exactly as this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Iceland's PBP guy lost his goddamn mind at their stoppage time goal to beat Austria

https://twitter.com/danmari83/status/745694539738943488/video/1

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Here's 6 minutes of Mike Frances trying to figure out if Zach Wheeler actually hurt the same thing twice. He got confused seeing an SNY recap.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/mike-francesa-reports-mets-injury-only-to-realize-half-way-through-it-was-an-old-report.html

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Hate to go back to Simmons talk, but they officially posted the whole first episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL0ouwGCnu4

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this new first take is such a loving trainwreck. it's so amusing

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

Hate to go back to Simmons talk, but they officially posted the whole first episode

Arguing with Charles Barkley seems like one of the most pointless endeavors in human history.

edit: the interview does seem to get better as it goes along though

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 23, 2016

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

Legitimately a zero out of 10. I love Simmons in writing and podcast but Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Robnoxious posted:

It sure worked for Joe Buck!

When does his show air on HBO again?

It will end exactly as this.

Which guest will be Simmons's Artie Lange?