Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Come to think of it, didnt the creators of the original battletech never give sizes for their mechs? Only weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The original battlemechs were pieces of identically sized cardboard stuck to identical bases yes.

In the meantime let us marvel at the effort by :pgi: to make a ton of lead look the same as a ton of feathers.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Come to think of it, didnt the creators of the original battletech never give sizes for their mechs? Only weight?

The TROs had a basic graph that showed sizes. The average height was 10 meters tall with some bigger and some smaller than others.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Kinda mind boggling if you look at all that spergatronic information on http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Catapult and yet theres no mention of the things height, but we get detailed background information about the manufacturer of the comms array.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well yeah, the height was irrelevant. All that mattered were the hex pieces for the boardgame. Since that's all battletech ever was.

I don't know why :pgi: suddenly thinks surface volume is their bible but gently caress it, whatever. Done now.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
here's like an old-school size comparison

but even with all that it shouldn't matter, we're balancing for a game in which weapons have perfect convergence and most people can hit what they want, not a tabletop game where the hit table is all random and even the best pilots miss a lot

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

but even with all that it shouldn't matter, we're balancing for a game in which weapons have perfect convergence and most people can hit what they want, not a tabletop game where the hit table is all random and even the best pilots miss a lot

Not that the tabletop game was anything approaching balanced anyway.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:rip: Frozen City

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cease to Hope posted:

Not that the tabletop game was anything approaching balanced anyway.

If you go by the basic rule set it was pretty OK in that regard. Even 3050 IS stuff was OK. Clams were OP as gently caress but everyone I played with used them as super powerful antagonists for the PCs to overcome. The one clan game we did the GM made sure we were outnumbered at least 2 : 1 in tonnage.

But if you were just ducking around with the 3025 tech it was pretty well done.

Edit: assuming you used the games mechs. Construct your own and yeah you could break game mechanics pretty bad but I don't think any game system is safe from min maxing nerds.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

here's like an old-school size comparison

J. Edgar (light) Hover Tank?
Hetzer Tank?
Rommel Tank?
(Panzer)Schre(c)k Tank?

You made those up, right?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you go by the basic rule set it was pretty OK in that regard. Even 3050 IS stuff was OK. Clams were OP as gently caress but everyone I played with used them as super powerful antagonists for the PCs to overcome. The one clan game we did the GM made sure we were outnumbered at least 2 : 1 in tonnage.

But if you were just ducking around with the 3025 tech it was pretty well done.

Edit: assuming you used the games mechs. Construct your own and yeah you could break game mechanics pretty bad but I don't think any game system is safe from min maxing nerds.

I legit don't think I've ever played as a Clan mech in TT or megamek. Cannibalized their tech for my own mech? Deffo, yeah. Mixed tech is loving awesome, but like you said we've always just used them as antagonists when not playing 3025 or Star League games.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Yolomon Wayne posted:

They did not. All `Mechs are roughly 10 meters tall--and that's where the distinction ends.

`Mechs are mostly empty air, so assessing their weight by comparing their internal volumes is retarded.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

I legit don't think I've ever played as a Clan mech in TT or megamek. Cannibalized their tech for my own mech? Deffo, yeah. Mixed tech is loving awesome, but like you said we've always just used them as antagonists when not playing 3025 or Star League games.

You are officially a Good BT Player. Everyone I ever met who wanted to play clans was an insufferable twat who just wanted to act out their power fantasies. When nerds who role play being future nobility piloting fusion powered giant robots accuse you of this you know you have problems.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you go by the basic rule set it was pretty OK in that regard. Even 3050 IS stuff was OK.

I respectfully submit every single 3025 mech with an AC5 or AC2 as a counterargument.

This isn't the tabletop Battletech thread, though, and I probably should not have brought it up.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 22, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

They both became a lot more useful if you played on maps bigger than the single sheet

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

J. Edgar (light) Hover Tank?
Hetzer Tank?
Rommel Tank?
(Panzer)Schre(c)k Tank?

You made those up, right?

Well, someone did. Someone at FASA.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well refunding my Phoenixhawk was surprisingly easy. I requested it yesterday afternoon, got an email about an hour ago asking to confirm.

Got this in response :)

GM Patience (Piranha Games)

Jun 22, 10:48 PDT

Hi,
Apologies for the frustrations with the new Mini Map. We are absolutely heeding all of the feedback we are receiving, and will be making adjustments to the Mini Map in a hot fix currently planned for this week.

While it will not be a full roll-back to the original Mini Map, we intend for this hot-fix to address some aspects of the Mini Map that we have received the most feedback about. Future patches will then continue to refine and the improve the Mini Map as needed, based on the feedback from the community.

Please let me know, or update this ticket later in the week, to provide me with final confirmation as to whether you wish to proceed with the Phoenix hawk (only available if not redeemed) refund.

Please find more information here: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/231305-regarding-the-new-mini-map/

GM_Patience
Piranha Games

To which I replied and autocorrect did something kind of funny.

veedubfreak

Jun 22, 10:58 PDT

I do wish to refund. It's mostly that I don't feel the mechanism is worth it. The other changes are a moot point.

Autocorrect, making new and interesting choices every day.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Well gently caress me, did all the quick play and scouting bags and no mechbay.

Also the new Frozen City should be called Alpine City and then be tossed into a volcano. My experience with it so far has been that it always devolves into a 500-700m standoff.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

They both became a lot more useful if you played on maps bigger than the single sheet

There is not a map size where small ACs are better than LRMs in tabletop Battletech. (LRMs even have a longer range than AC5s!) The weapon balance problems become even more obvious with Star League tech, especially gauss rifles, double heat sinks, and to a lesser extent ERLLs.

This thinking is the same way that MWO ended up starting from a bad base to begin with. Battletech was never a balanced game, but it was a well-liked game, and people mistake that for well-balanced. PGI started from the idea that BT was itself balanced, and that poor balance is the broken foundation MWO rests on to this day.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Edit: never mind

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 23, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cease to Hope posted:

There is not a map size where small ACs are better than LRMs in tabletop Battletech. (LRMs even have a longer range than AC5s!) The weapon balance problems become even more obvious with Star League tech, especially gauss rifles, double heat sinks, and to a lesser extent ERLLs.

This thinking is the same way that MWO ended up starting from a bad base to begin with. Battletech was never a balanced game, but it was a well-liked game, and people mistake that for well-balanced. PGI started from the idea that BT was itself balanced, and that poor balance is the broken foundation MWO rests on to this day.

You put way more thought into this than :pgi: ever did.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DancingShade posted:

At the end of the day I can probably live perfectly well with the rescaling but the mechs themselves will need to be re-quirked, etc to adjust.

Trip report: the 3 ER-large laser sniper phoenix hawk is actually not terrible, at least on the super popular new ice city map. Think of it as a (very) oversized raven with ECM.

Heaven help you if you want to use it for anything other than sniping though. Everyone I've seen try to brawl in one dies horribly.
It can boat a surprising amount of weapons and Dev intent (based on the quirks and weapon slots) seems for it to be like the Stormcrow where you harass/ambush/finish off people and generally be a nuisance.
Brawlers do die quite decently and it's mounts aren't that great for sniping but it can do both.

DancingShade posted:

Basically you should all be piloting assaults and mediums because lol if you took a heavy or light after everything got supersized.

Pfft, My Timberwolves and Warhammers are just as good as ever :colbert:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

Left: 35 ton mech

Right: 50 ton mech

That image is deceptive as hell though. Did no one think "I wonder why these mechs' pictures have been taken at an extreme side angle instead of a normal frontal angle?"

The answer is because then the image isn't shocking and sensational because the Nova is still two and a half times as wide as the Jenner (while the Jenner is 70% of its weight) and as superstar mechs like the Awesome repeatedly show, having a wide profile in MWO is very good for survivability.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Rescale overall hasn't been nearly as big an issue as the minimap. Jenners are about the size of Cicada's now (although more compact) and aside from a few notable examples (Wolfhounds, Firestarters, Grasshoppers for example) everything is kinda the same. When shooting at stuff I haven't really been noticing any 'oh man they really made out like a bandit' on the size, aside from Locusts being able to waterhax even more now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

. When shooting at stuff I haven't really been noticing any 'oh man they really made out like a bandit' on the size, aside from Locusts being able to waterhax even more now.

Catapults are basically the size of an old cicadia now. THey are insane little harassers that have the tonnage to do some ugly poo poo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Their ears are still giant targets and they have to close to do really mean stuff to you. It's easy to take off half to a quarter of their firepower unless they're gauss/ppc k2's.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So far I haven't really noticed much other than the tiny cats and most lights being possible to hit now.

Black Widow is still good for 1000+ and not dying until you're stripped bare.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

aniviron posted:

That image is deceptive as hell though. Did no one think "I wonder why these mechs' pictures have been taken at an extreme side angle instead of a normal frontal angle?"

The answer is because then the image isn't shocking and sensational because the Nova is still two and a half times as wide as the Jenner (while the Jenner is 70% of its weight) and as superstar mechs like the Awesome repeatedly show, having a wide profile in MWO is very good for survivability.

Also the jenner has guns above the cockpit, while the nova still knuckledrags every single one of its weapons.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

Also the jenner has guns above the cockpit, while the nova still knuckledrags every single one of its weapons.

And the Nova is stuck with no endo, no ferro, and five locked jumpjets, and a whole bunch of other problems. They're still not exactly top poo poo, but they're very playable right now. I'm sure PGI is going to gently caress it up next patch though, can't have any playable clan mechs except SCR/TBR/HBR/EBJ, that would be crazy.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about the Catapults: the size of the model is based on the size with the default weapon loadouts, i.e. the CPLT is calculated using the huge square boxes that the C1/C4 have. The tiny little nub arms that the Jester/K2 have means those two are significantly undersized for their tonnage.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/06/1583-hotfix-scheduled-for-06222016

Hotfix tonight, minimap fixes ahoy!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The hotfix has already been delayed.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I wonder what happens when they push a patch and then an unpaid intern is tasked with interrupting the Paul/Russ j/o session to tell them people are super mad and also refunding the new mech pack because it's bad, also the rescale is bad.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mech Commander gave the scale from 8 meters tall (Commando) up to 16 meters tall (Atlas) and I felt those numbers were nice.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Random Number posted:

I wonder what happens when they push a patch and then an unpaid intern is tasked with interrupting the Paul/Russ j/o session to tell them people are super mad and also refunding the new mech pack because it's bad, also the rescale is bad.

Oh please. You know this was presented to him as:

"Everything's great, people love the Penis Henvy and the new map but we've noticed a bug with the minimap and think we should get a bugfix out to patch it ASAP before anyone notices."

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

But only a little bit, apparently. They just pushed an update.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Random Number posted:

All praise be to Veedub?!?

e: :psyboom:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Minimap is useable again.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Usable but still worse. The help pings and weight classes aren't as useful as knowing which way enemies and teammates are facing was.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Oh my they moved the ballistic slots on the K2 to be at cockpit height, I might have to try out dual gauss again for the first time in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

Usable but still worse. The help pings and weight classes aren't as useful as knowing which way enemies and teammates are facing was.

Yeah, it's improved but knowing where enemies were facing was great for peeking out and taking shots on people. I miss it.

• Locked thread