Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's certainly the best you'll get at that price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

PlushCow posted:

I bought a Surface 3 a bit over a month ago and am about ready to return it to Costco (thanks 90 day return policy).
I've had mine since before the Nov update that largely ironed out a lot of things and certainly seem to have the opposite experience you have been having. I'd kinda wonder if you got a lemon Or at least I'd ponder doing a full blown reinstall of 10 from the latest stable ring.

Well the charge rate is total poo poo that is my one complaint.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Surface 3 doesn't have a great battery but I'm really liking it otherwise.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What would you recommend as a tablet if assuming price is not an issue:

Looking for 7 or 8 inch screen.

Able to use android and as current version as possible.

Thin tablet, not very wasteful on the bezel space. Lightweight and thin is what I'm going towards.

Micro SD slot.

For example my favorite tablet right now is the nexus 7 2013 but major downside is bezel space and no micro SD slot. I don't need it to be more powerful than that.

Bonus if I can get it in white.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

What would you recommend as a tablet if assuming price is not an issue:

Looking for 7 or 8 inch screen.

Able to use android and as current version as possible.

Thin tablet, not very wasteful on the bezel space. Lightweight and thin is what I'm going towards.

Micro SD slot.

For example my favorite tablet right now is the nexus 7 2013 but major downside is bezel space and no micro SD slot. I don't need it to be more powerful than that.

Bonus if I can get it in white.

Nvidia Shield K1, $200, MicroSD, thin, faily good bezel (although some space taken at the long ends for grips), largely vanilla Android 6, 8-inch screen.

No white.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 12, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MikeJF posted:

Nvidia Shield K1, $200, MicroSD, thin, faily good bezel (although some space taken at the long ends for grips), largely vanilla Android 6, 8-inch screen.

No white.

Not a big deal since just means I'll order a decal-girl skin.

Thanks, I'll have to pick that up later this year, unless I hear any other options.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
How's the iPad mini 2 16 GB model look for web surfing/movie streaming home device? Is 16gb good enough for just apps? I won't be putting pics or movies on the device itself just purely streaming all media over wifi in the house. I'll probably pick up a refurbished model - how's the battery usually on those?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I want a large tablet for watching movies and reading PDFs - most smaller tablets I've found stutter with high res video and take seconds to load a page from a PDF with lots of images. I dislike iOS so no ipads. Budget is around 500 but I can save up for a more expensive one if its worth it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

I want a large tablet for watching movies and reading PDFs - most smaller tablets I've found stutter with high res video and take seconds to load a page from a PDF with lots of images. I dislike iOS so no ipads. Budget is around 500 but I can save up for a more expensive one if its worth it.

Chrome Pixel C or Surface 3, I guess.

Though an iPad is probably your actual best bet here.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

clockworkjoe posted:

Chrome Pixel, Surface or Samsung Galaxy Tab s2 (though this thread seems to hate Samsung in general, their top-end tablets are lovely assuming you don't hate the modern touchwhiz)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

PST posted:

Chrome Pixel, Surface or Samsung Galaxy Tab s2 (though this thread seems to hate Samsung in general, their top-end tablets are lovely assuming you don't hate the modern touchwhiz)

Why do people hate samsung tablets? The specs make it look perfect for me, especially the micro sd slot part.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

Why do people hate samsung tablets? The specs make it look perfect for me, especially the micro sd slot part.

Largely their software. Also, annoying when it comes to ROM-ing, both because of lock-downs and because of custom chips.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

Samsung is bad at software.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

clockworkjoe posted:

I have a Galaxy Tab 4 that's still on KitKat - Samsung promised Lollipop for the device 2 years ago. They're still being sold. Think about that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, I finally decided to go with a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" for my mum (thanks again for all the recommendations).

Weird posting this now that everyone is hating on them, but she's used to Android by now and I really don't want to have to explain everything over to her if I get her an iPad.

One last question and I'll get out of you guys' hair: any case you'd recommend for a tablet, or at least a case brand I should look into (or avoid)? Rather be safe than sorry here.

Thanks again!

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

ray_finkle_himself posted:

How's the iPad mini 2 16 GB model look for web surfing/movie streaming home device? Is 16gb good enough for just apps? I won't be putting pics or movies on the device itself just purely streaming all media over wifi in the house. I'll probably pick up a refurbished model - how's the battery usually on those?

My girlfriend pretty much exclusively uses her iPad Mini 2 to stream Disney Anywhere movies and check Buzzfeed over our wifi and she seems pretty happy with the results

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, I finally decided to go with a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" for my mum (thanks again for all the recommendations).

Weird posting this now that everyone is hating on them, but she's used to Android by now and I really don't want to have to explain everything over to her if I get her an iPad.

One last question and I'll get out of you guys' hair: any case you'd recommend for a tablet, or at least a case brand I should look into (or avoid)? Rather be safe than sorry here.

Thanks again!

In general I like Moko. They're not too expensive on Amazon and the build is decent for the price.

Can I offer additional advice? Buy a tempered glass screen. They're super easy to install and helps protect your screen. I am total poo poo at doing plastic ones and end up in its lots of bubbles. Glass is easier to install and you just need to watch out for dust. You can probably get one for ten bucks off Amazon too.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ineffiable posted:

In general I like Moko. They're not too expensive on Amazon and the build is decent for the price.

Can I offer additional advice? Buy a tempered glass screen. They're super easy to install and helps protect your screen. I am total poo poo at doing plastic ones and end up in its lots of bubbles. Glass is easier to install and you just need to watch out for dust. You can probably get one for ten bucks off Amazon too.

Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I ended up getting this one (basically searched for Galaxy Tab S2 cases and sorted by review score); I had to place the order lest it didn't arrive in time.

I did get a tempered glass screen, I was halfway through the checkout process when I remembered them and thought it wouldn't hurt for just ten bucks so I added one in.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Any recommendations on a used tablet? Looking for an Android tablet with a decent sized screen for using in the kitchen for cooking/baking, maybe watching the occasional TV show or movie. Looking for used just so I don't feel bad when I get it covered in crap in the kitchen or whatever. Just not sure if there's a solid tablet that may be a little older, or a newer one that would be a good value used.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Just put whatever you get in an Otterbox or Lifelock case and clean the case if it ever gets nasty.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm looking for a tablet for reading online text books. I'm debating on whether or not to get a laptop and a tablet. I only have one computer at home, so I need to free up the main PC for the family. Is there a tablet I can use with a keyboard that will be just fine for using with an office suite(not specifically Microsoft)? I guess the heart of my question is should I get a laptop and a cheap tablet or should I get a nice tablet and no laptop?

Needs to run windows, droid, or ios.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Have you looked at the Surface Pro 4? Sounds like it might fit the bill, depending on your budget.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Wibla posted:

Have you looked at the Surface Pro 4? Sounds like it might fit the bill, depending on your budget.

Thanks, is it worth paying $300 more for the 4 over the 3(not pro)
I see a 3 on ms store for $400 with dock.

I can get 4 pro about $750-$800

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What's the cheapest android tablet that anyone would recommend? I might need to buy a bunch of them.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigFactory posted:

What's the cheapest android tablet that anyone would recommend? I might need to buy a bunch of them.

The $49 Amazon Fire - doesn't come with stock Android, but you can easily add Google Play

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EugeneJ posted:

The $49 Amazon Fire - doesn't come with stock Android, but you can easily add Google Play

Cool thank you!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

EugeneJ posted:

This tablet is the easiest thing to break over your knee and do whatever you want with it. I flashed stock android onto mine and have only had a few little quirks but nothing I would consider a real problem.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Same. I put CM on mine, use it daily.

Won't do HD video files, but streams OK.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When do new Amazon tablets get announced? I wonder if it'll get a refresh anytime soon

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I'm looking for the cheapest android tablet that can playback h264 1080p videos. Size (physical or storage) doesn't matter, but it needs to have a microSD card slot. I don't mind manufacturer bloatware or garbage UI either since I can just flash CM or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure literally anything can play back h264 these days, so I guess whatever Chinese junk you can find!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even the cheap amazon fire chokes on 1080p video, though, so be careful

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Yeah that's what I was worried about. Smooth 1080p h264 playback capability isn't exactly something they put in technical spec sheets so I have no clue what devices can pull it off. To make things worse, the various processors have such wildly differing performance even at the same clock speeds, and some devices have hardware decoders to speed up video playback, but only for specific formats and codecs.

I'm at a total loss, really.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The cheap fire lacks a hw video decoder*, so it's all CPU. 720 is fine but 1080 can be difficult. Most other tablets (other than most cheapo ones) should have a hw decoder.

*it either lacks it, or my flavor of CM doesn't have it configured properly.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Does it need to be 1080p? If you're going to a cheap tablet, try encoding for a smaller resolution, like 720p. Cheap tablets probably won't even have a 1080p screen, so you'll be just as fine with 720p.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Damegane posted:

I'm looking for the cheapest android tablet that can playback h264 1080p videos. Size (physical or storage) doesn't matter, but it needs to have a microSD card slot. I don't mind manufacturer bloatware or garbage UI either since I can just flash CM or something.

Can you? Your random no-name Chinese craptablet probably doesn't have a CM port.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Geirskogul posted:

The cheap fire lacks a hw video decoder*, so it's all CPU. 720 is fine but 1080 can be difficult. Most other tablets (other than most cheapo ones) should have a hw decoder.

*it either lacks it, or my flavor of CM doesn't have it configured properly.

If it can play 720p video smoothly with some software player app, I'll have to give it some consideration. Thanks.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Does it need to be 1080p? If you're going to a cheap tablet, try encoding for a smaller resolution, like 720p. Cheap tablets probably won't even have a 1080p screen, so you'll be just as fine with 720p.

Yeah you got a point there. I was hoping for some recommendations on cheaper ones with a 1080p screen cause that's my monitor's native res and I would rather not have to reencode things just for the tablet. Stuff I don't have time to finish watching on the PC gets dumped on the tablet to watch later.

feedmegin posted:

Can you? Your random no-name Chinese craptablet probably doesn't have a CM port.

I wouldn't trust a no-name brand tablet to provide any kind of support when things break either, so I'm actually looking for something from established brands, just maybe something old and from their budget lines.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
edit-- all gone

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 1, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey, just wanted to chime in and say thanks again to everyone who helped me pick a tablet for my mum (and accesories!) a few weeks back.

She's still figuring some stuff out, as it's wont to happen when a 74 yo starts fiddling with technology, but she's loving every minute of it.

Thanks again, fellas. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Hey guys, is the galaxy s2 9.7" a good present for someone? Or is there something better for the price of $400? Should I get them the pen too?