Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Crystal Geometry posted:

It doesn't do damage so adcs don't buy it. You're correct.

Merc Scimitar does plenty of damage. Didn't they nerf it a little while back because it was too good given its passive stats + active?

I think there are a few situations where you can get away with not getting it, depending on your frontline and the champs you are up against but that's more of the exception than the rule. Even good positioning can't always stop a bloodrazor + full tank ww from jumping on you or a liss e-ing into the backline and ulting you or a flash ult from annie, etc etc. I mean if you are always super vigilant and have perfect positioning and full support/peel from your team then sure, but you aren't gonna find that in solo queue or anywhere really. QSS is really really good and you should never feel bad for building it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If your item active reaction time isn't good enough qss is actually a waste. for a lot of people i play with its that way.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It kind of sucks to build it early because it's so much gold for no damage. It's not like we're all building 3k gold 100 ad bloodthirsters and a zeal and being basically strong enough anymore.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Who says Merc Scim is no damage? It's a fuckton of damage. It's the highest damage defensive item you could buy as an ADC.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Libertine posted:

Who says Merc Scim is no damage? It's a fuckton of damage. It's the highest damage defensive item you could buy as an ADC.

Death's Dance :colbert:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qss is 1300 gold for no combat stats, and odds are your dipshit pubbies aren't going to peel for you. so that's quite bad.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Libertine posted:

when people talk about building merc sim what they mean is building qss (1300 gold for no stats that matter) and then finishing merc sim like 10 minutes later maybe. Except probably not because they're falling behind the curve so they need a last whisper or something and then maybe later they get back to merc sim. And then it feelsbad because you're clogging your inventory with pick axes and vamp scepter instead of buying a bf or serrated dirk like an adult man would.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

keven im not a man

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

Merc Scimitar does plenty of damage. Didn't they nerf it a little while back because it was too good given its passive stats + active?

I think there are a few situations where you can get away with not getting it, depending on your frontline and the champs you are up against but that's more of the exception than the rule. Even good positioning can't always stop a bloodrazor + full tank ww from jumping on you or a liss e-ing into the backline and ulting you or a flash ult from annie, etc etc. I mean if you are always super vigilant and have perfect positioning and full support/peel from your team then sure, but you aren't gonna find that in solo queue or anywhere really. QSS is really really good and you should never feel bad for building it.

Uhh no you see I am highly skilled and instead of building a qss like a coward I can build more damage now and snowball on these scrubs. Sit back and enjoy the carr-*gets oneshot by enemy midlane*

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Crystal Geometry posted:

Uhh no you see I am highly skilled and instead of building a qss like a coward I can build more damage now and snowball on these scrubs. Sit back and enjoy the carr-*gets oneshot by enemy midlane*

Just as likely: I have a QSS now I can play aggresively. *cleanses Thresh hook* *steps into front line, gets one shot by Leblanc*

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qss: the item that stops you from being one shot, apparently.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

qss: the item that stops you from being one shot, apparently.

I dont adc, but I have hundreds of games on champs like lux, malzahar, veigar, etc. I can tell you that QSS makes adcs significantly tougher to kill. Not gonna save you from everything sure but I wouldn't undersell the value of the item. Not that you'd rush it but building it as your third or fourth major item after you buy your core stuff isn't a bad investment at all.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

It depends on the match but unless you're playing an ADC with a solid power spike at 1-2 items, I don't often feel like I can afford to go for defensive items early. I'm desperately trying to hit a point where all the offensive items I'm buying finally hit that critical mass where people have to care about my damage. Maybe it's a perception thing and I'm reading it wrong, but the choice often feels like:
A) Go balls out damage and hope I live long enough to hit things.
B) Buy a defensive item and have a better chance at staying alive, but do not much.

Obviously alive ADCs do more damage than dead ADCs, but I don't think gambling on surviving and hitting harder if you avoid being murdered is wrong.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Every ADC in the game can go QSS>MS third after their two item spike core and they should if there's hard CC that can instantly eliminate them. It's built out of a BF Sword specifically so it doesn't slow you down significantly to buy one mid game. I've never felt held back by building one and I'm not sure why anyone else would. 2 core into QSS is an extremely common and often necessary build and MS can easily replace whatever other life steal item you wanted in your build because of how insanely useful the active is.

I used to harp about LW all the time back in the day but I can't remember the last game I played that didn't have 1-2 ADCs on one team in it in the only roles that tanks can fill so I don't even know if armor busting is necessary in most solo queue games as long as all these fuckers keep picking Yasuo/Zed double solo lanes.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Libertine posted:

Every ADC in the game can go QSS>MS third after their two item spike core and they should if there's hard CC that can instantly eliminate them. It's built out of a BF Sword specifically so it doesn't slow you down significantly to buy one mid game. I've never felt held back by building one and I'm not sure why anyone else would. 2 core into QSS is an extremely common and often necessary build and MS can easily replace whatever other life steal item you wanted in your build because of how insanely useful the active is.

I used to harp about LW all the time back in the day but I can't remember the last game I played that didn't have 1-2 ADCs on one team in it in the only roles that tanks can fill so I don't even know if armor busting is necessary in most solo queue games as long as all these fuckers keep picking Yasuo/Zed double solo lanes.

Last Whisper sucks. Giving it more AD makes it suck less, but in a meta that tends to not have a big armor stacking guy or three it's like really middle of the pack in terms of slot efficiency (since against a typically one armor item dude you get like 30 effective armor pen).

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Crystal Geometry posted:

It doesn't do damage so adcs don't buy it. You're correct.
Most ADC's are going to die whether they negate the cc that hits them or not, so most ADC's don't buy it, and for survivabilty you may be better off with a burst item instead. ADC is also kind of a poo poo position right now as AP mages got their seasonal item rework and gained a bunch of gently caress adc itemization, so most ADC's are going extreme burst (especially in pro's, where people are more likely to capitalize on mistakes and less likely to make them, and also are much better at dodging skill shots) so they can take something out before they die. QSS also doesn't have offensive stats, so even if you start VF over it that's still quite a bit of gold between BF - Merc Scim that's not going to help you much. OTOH, if you're bad at dodging skill shots it's probably better for you than BT, so just replace the BT in the ADC's list with MS instead, it's also probably a good situational item against teams that are sporting mostly AP damage (as the more utility you get out of the MR from QSS, the better it compares to BT's bubble).

Finally, you'll notice MS is high up in Dravens list, so the best character in the game rocks it and so should you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Opened my last mastery chest today, got....Dark Star Thresh! Shame I don't own Thresh; obviously I'll have to change that.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Merc scimitar doesn't build out of bf

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Freaksaus posted:

I've mostly been playing ADC lately and was just looking through champion.gg to see if my item builds are still ok. I was kind of surprised not to qss/mercurial in almost any of the most common/highest win builds. I tend to build it 3rd or 4th item almost every game because there's always some horrible cc ability I want to be able to get out of. Am I putting too much value into the active?
The biggest reason why people don't build it is because they're bad at actives. Hell, Captain Jack is one of the very few pros that have the "Perfect Cleanse" down. I'm just as bad as everyone else is so I swing for the Bloodthirster/GA combo when I'm playing my AD champs (Usually Corki)

Neurolimal posted:

Opened my last mastery chest today, got....Dark Star Thresh! Shame I don't own Thresh; obviously I'll have to change that.
It looks nice and all, but literally all of Thresh's skins are cool and have unique particles and recall animations so the only reason to spend that much money for it is if you prefer blue garbled black hole mess over Championship or Blood Moon (Deep Sea is really cool too)

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Libertine posted:

No you are right. It's probably the strongest defensive/life steal item in an ADC build in my opinion. It's definitely something worthwhile to have by 3rd or 4th item depending on threat. If there's any game-ending hard CC (there should be at least one on the enemy team unless they are dumb) you want to have it. I think it's very under-built relative to it's value in solo queue. You see it a ton with a lot more priority in professional play. You shouldn't doubt your own thoughts on that matter in this one.

It's much lower priority than it used to be after getting one AD nerf, a significant nerf to QSS, and ADC itemization shifting towards armor pen builds on several champions. The QSS changes mean that there are several assassins that will still easily burst you with it, and there are several others that it's completely useless against (say, Diana or Leblanc) and where Maw is still superior. In competitive there are also several hyper-mobile/safe ADCs that don't need to prioritize it nearly as highly as others (Ezreal, Caitlyn, Lucian, Sivir). I personally like the item but it's not as clear of a rush item as it used to be, and BT is still a quasi-defensive ADC item that has a lot of compelling aspects over it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I wish Riot would go back and look at AD champs again and adjust items so there's a definite difference between "Early game AD who's strong after one item" and "Late game hard-scaling AD who can 1v5" because boy it's hard being an AD sometimes when there's always 3-5 people piling in bottom and there's so little you can do about it except retreat because most AD carries don't do enough damage until 3 items to compete against the burst mages or fighter junglers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

This is literally the free-est assist anyone has ever gotten

http://plays.tv/video/576ba83f887c8f5093/tea-lizard-v2

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Honestly this is probably why I like playing Zilean so much. Like, I love to bait people with my ult. That's great, sure. But cool guys do not watch explosions:

http://plays.tv/video/576b94dad7e09c3298/tea-lizard?from=user

edit: my friend said my micro is weird. is my micro weird???

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 23, 2016

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.

rabidsquid posted:

Someone speaking there has a mildly weird mic thing going on, yeah.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

no, like mouse movements

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You've swapped your plays.tv links around.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

no, like mouse movements

i mean not really? I didn't know there was such a thing as weird mouse movements in league

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

It's okay. There are ways to compensate.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

It's okay. There are ways to compensate.

:iceburn:

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

TheAnomaly posted:

Most ADC's are going to die whether they negate the cc that hits them or not, so most ADC's don't buy it . . . .

That's interesting. Using QSS is essentially admission that you are out of position as an ADC.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Any singed men here? Teach me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Ghost/TP, rod of ages, rylais, liandries, run around spamming laugh. Don't try to be cute with the whole "oh if i fling them into the goo they'll be rooted." and instead just use it to slow them and continue. Your early game will feel terrible.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Mordekaiser in ARAM is the most miserable thing.

Is there a reason that his shield has a targeting reticule when it will always just go to the closest ally instead of who you pick? I assume this is one of the many Morde details where they just halfassed a nerf, but it's really obnoxious and makes the movespeed aspect pretty pointless outside of laning.

Between that, making the cone less "sticky", and giving his ult a gimmick that only works on one map, Morde feels kind of lame right now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally don't get get Merc because I'm bad at actives and like Death's Dance way too loving much. The passive and cooldown reduction feels more useful to me than the Cleanse anyway, unless they have something really atrocious like Warwick/Malzahar. I have a similar problem with Bloodthirster because the damage reduction feels more useful than the over-heal shield, especially as I tend to play adcs who deal physical damage with abilities which also gets healing with Death's Dance, the fact that they all have 75 ad makes me feel less bad about it too.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I wasn't sure about her but Taliyah is starting to grow on me. Yeah she doesn't really have good CC or burst early on but her damage output at least is pretty sustainable with the buffs to her mana efficiency and is not insignificant. Her wall though, her loving wall. It does stuff like trap people in tiny corners of the jungle, split teams in half, close off entire lanes or dragon/baron pits. Her ult is just really fun and like bard ult can be absolutely amazing if you don't manage to kill your team with it. Worked ground movement speed is actually nice just for being a little more mobile and with a little awareness it's enough of a boost to kite and be safe in mid. I think with the latest quality of life changes she's become pretty playable if not a solid pick.

Not terribly great vs hard all ins like mobile assassins, but she does pretty good vs most other match ups. That's my opinion anyways.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honestly, I've seen just as many walls save enemies as walls kill enemies. It's so telegraphed that a lot of teams can just straight up exploit it. She has decent mana efficiency (if you focus on her Q), but that's always been a pretty weak gimmick in a game with manaless bursters, blue buff, tear, catalyst, etc.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

JuniperCake posted:

I wasn't sure about her but Taliyah is starting to grow on me. Yeah she doesn't really have good CC or burst early on but her damage output at least is pretty sustainable with the buffs to her mana efficiency and is not insignificant. Her wall though, her loving wall. It does stuff like trap people in tiny corners of the jungle, split teams in half, close off entire lanes or dragon/baron pits. Her ult is just really fun and like bard ult can be absolutely amazing if you don't manage to kill your team with it. Worked ground movement speed is actually nice just for being a little more mobile and with a little awareness it's enough of a boost to kite and be safe in mid. I think with the latest quality of life changes she's become pretty playable if not a solid pick.

Not terribly great vs hard all ins like mobile assassins, but she does pretty good vs most other match ups. That's my opinion anyways.

See also: Stockholm Syndrome

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

you want ghost/tp most of the time but ghost/ignite can be fun for pounding his few easy matchups (mostly jax and trynd) into the ground.

poison minions, take their money. how you interact with (or ignore) the other laner changes drastically depending on the matchup but what never changes is the focus on farm.

rush zzrot against hard matchups, rylais against all others. roa would be a good item in a vacuum but having either zoning/keepaway power from rylais or pushing power from zzrot ASAP is just too important.

proxying is just catching enemy waves before they can meet yours, because of how poison trail works you can keep in constant motion to kite away from a significant amount of minion damage. if the enemy laner abandons your wave (therefore leaving your wave's vision) and isn't really low, 90% of the time they're getting in position to cut you off with their jungler (other 10% is TP ganks bot). with good awareness and wards you should manage to avoid most danger by pathing smartly or by executing.

be prepared to lose horribly while you adjust as there is little in the way of reference points making learning the game knowledge you need as singed any easier. he's unique and that both makes him fun and a liability in inexperienced hands.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
gently caress those builds. Double snowball ring into corrupting potion into rylais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

NTT posted:

gently caress those builds. Double snowball ring into corrupting potion into rylais.

Seems a bit spicy, def gonna try this tonight. Will report back. And thanks to everyone else for the tips, gonna take my self hatred to the next level with this boy.

• Locked thread