Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Some people grind down one line and barely play anything else at all, those people get the tier 10 tank in a bit over 1k games. 2k+ if they're really bad because less exp per game and stuff. Then you have the people (like me) who goes down ALL the lines and spend so much time getting the double on every tank that they're too worn out to grind any line. That'll eventually get you to tier 10 though, and at that point a lot of them in a shortish time. Currently sitting on 12 tier 10 tanks, with another 4 unlocked but not bought (actually, two of them bought and sold). Also 11 tier 9 tanks that I've not yet finished grinding out the tier 10 on. And a couple of tier 8 tanks I haven't ground out the tier 9 on. All this in only....20k battles! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Ramsus posted:

God I hate the type 59. Using it to train a crew right now and every shot flies to the outside of the reticle. Also it can't drive in rough terrain at all. If you get one of these turds stay out of grass and shallow water...and don't climb hills or fight mod 1's.

You've gotta remember it's not a true(fast) medium. Use how nimble it is to face your armor at whatever is shooting you - you can feasibly bounce shells from multiple targets by turning your front to them. It's not a hill fighter or a peek-a-boom medium - it's purely a bully tank. You have to dare people to pen you, and by doing this you settle the gun down enough to where your gunner doesn't twitch every time you shoot. If that tank had an accurate gun it would be even more ridiculous. If you're not already (and don't care about credits) run food. I also run egld and vertical stab, because the gun handling makes me want to puke too :D

Alternatively, sell the drat thing, screenshot the sale message, and post it on every wot forum you can find.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The biggest thing holding back my tier 10 number is credits, I have 3 or 4 tier 10s unlocked but gently caress farming credits to buy them. I already have a few tier 10 tanks in my garage so don't really need any more.

VV I haven't played tier 1-4 outside of goofy gimmick tanks in years, I free xp to tier 5 in every new line, low tiers are simply awful.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 22, 2016

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
Oh and, you guys wanna know the best way to drive new people away from this game? Keep the tier 3 mm the way it is. My wife wanted to try playing tanks and we had a hell of a time getting through t3. I ended up grinding through t3 solo. How the gently caress do they expect a new player to stick with the game when they get to t3 and have to be bottom tier 90% of the time?

:wargaming:

Sair
May 11, 2007

Tier 3 and 4 really suck in all but a handful of tanks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I never did the writeup that I still plan to do, but I have some data on my "grind to tier 10" experiment from last year. Basically, I got from tier 1 straight to 10 in about 850 battles, with premium account. So figure ~1.2-1.3k battles for a tier 10 on a standard account, and the original battle count is slightly skewed due to some detour premium tank battles (IIRC tiers 2, 3, 5, 7) that were just played for fun rather than credits; I never really ran into any credit issues outside of tier like 3-5 I believe, and I had a surplus of ~500k after buying the tier 10 at full price. There was also the fact that I got in on that "free 50k credits per day for logging in for a month" promo, so that certainly helped.

The conclusion I'd draw is that an experienced player can unlock a tier 10 from scratch in <1k battles on a premium account, and if you have existing research (modules unlocked from other lines) then that number further decreases for additional tanks in the same tree.

Yeonik posted:

Oh and, you guys wanna know the best way to drive new people away from this game? Keep the tier 3 mm the way it is. My wife wanted to try playing tanks and we had a hell of a time getting through t3. I ended up grinding through t3 solo. How the gently caress do they expect a new player to stick with the game when they get to t3 and have to be bottom tier 90% of the time?

The sad thing is that, despite the fact that there are some known "trap" tanks that are intentionally bad so players will buy their way out of them (Chi-Ri, A-44, Sturer), they insist upon making lower tiers pretty miserable. They don't realize that even if they get players to buy gold to get out of low tiers, this isn't that expensive to do so they're not really making much out of it. Instead, they run the real risk of turning off new players and screwing themselves out of hooking new whales. So yeah, :wargaming: :smith:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Yeonik posted:

You've gotta remember it's not a true(fast) medium. Use how nimble it is to face your armor at whatever is shooting you - you can feasibly bounce shells from multiple targets by turning your front to them. It's not a hill fighter or a peek-a-boom medium - it's purely a bully tank. You have to dare people to pen you, and by doing this you settle the gun down enough to where your gunner doesn't twitch every time you shoot. If that tank had an accurate gun it would be even more ridiculous. If you're not already (and don't care about credits) run food. I also run egld and vertical stab, because the gun handling makes me want to puke too :D

Alternatively, sell the drat thing, screenshot the sale message, and post it on every wot forum you can find.

Yeah man, i have 500 games and 60% wins in it, knowing how to play it isn't the problem

i will beat you up irl...the selling thing is a good idea, and I would but then I wouldn't have a chinese crew trainer unless I bought another tank

e. also wanted to add it was amazing when it was first released and is why i have one

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 22, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Yeonik posted:

I suspect that the "newbie protection" works on the RU and EU servers since they have an actual playerbase, but it completely strangles itself on the NA server. It also might be that if you platoon a new account with an old account you get tossed into bottom tier hell at tier three.

I really enjoyed playing the Pz1C and Cruisers, but leave it to Wargaming to try to fix one problem (sealclubbing at tier 3) and replace it with a bigger problem (sealclubbing at tier 5).

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I always thought the biggest issue with matchmaking and the reason why they have it set up the way it is now is due to not enough players. Personally I would rather have lovely mm than long Armored Warfare queue's.

That's actually the only reason I don't play Armored Warfare. The queue's are terrible. But it is amazing how in AW when you aim at stuff with a good gun the shell actually goes where you point.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I suspect that the "newbie protection" works on the RU and EU servers since they have an actual playerbase, but it completely strangles itself on the NA server. It also might be that if you platoon a new account with an old account you get tossed into bottom tier hell at tier three.

I really enjoyed playing the Pz1C and Cruisers, but leave it to Wargaming to try to fix one problem (sealclubbing at tier 3) and replace it with a bigger problem (sealclubbing at tier 5).

Confirming that newbie protection does not work on NA. Those poor baby seals... :black101: :3::3::3:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ramsus posted:

I always thought the biggest issue with matchmaking and the reason why they have it set up the way it is now is due to not enough players. Personally I would rather have lovely mm than long Armored Warfare queue's.

That's actually the only reason I don't play Armored Warfare. The queue's are terrible. But it is amazing how in AW when you aim at stuff with a good gun the shell actually goes where you point.

I'm of the opposite opinion: I'd rather wait for a decent matchup than get dropped into a terrible battle. The former is worth the wait, while the latter is a waste of time.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

Confirming that newbie protection does not work on NA. Those poor baby seals... :black101: :3::3::3:

Naw the newbie protection works perfectly. Now I can't just bring out my Cruiser 2 and casually oneshot newer tier three players who get to shoot me once for 50 damage before exploding, since all the tier three players get shunted into tier four and five matches constantly. Instead, I get to bring out my KV and casually oneshot all the newer tier three players without them even having to possibility of damaging me. Or just play the T67 and M7 and kill tier three players who cannot even see me. Dying to invisitanks is why most people kept playing right? Since that's such a fun mechanic that is definitely well explained ingame, and doesn't require reading ten pages of wiki articles to understand.

e: also for all the people comparing this to AW, as low as the NA server population is, AW is much worse off. AW is at the level of what Warplanes before it killed off the diehards with a series of lovely patches.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 22, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Naw the newbie protection works perfectly. Now I can't just bring out my Cruiser 2 and casually oneshot newer tier three players who get to shoot me once for 50 damage before exploding, since all the tier three players get shunted into tier four and five matches constantly. Instead, I get to bring out my KV and casually oneshot all the newer tier three players without them even having to possibility of damaging me. Or just play the T67 and M7 and kill tier three players who cannot even see me. Dying to invisitanks is why most people kept playing right? Since that's such a fun mechanic that is definitely well explained ingame, and doesn't require reading ten pages of wiki articles to understand.

e: also for all the people comparing this to AW, as low as the NA server population is, AW is much worse off. AW is at the level of what Warplanes before it killed off the diehards with a series of lovely patches.

Oh, tier 3 is still a hellish wasteland to escape as soon as possible, I was saying that tier 1 and 2 battles still put you up against complete newbs despite Wargaming's assertions to the contrary.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Atomizer posted:

I'm of the opposite opinion: I'd rather wait for a decent matchup than get dropped into a terrible battle. The former is worth the wait, while the latter is a waste of time.

I'd be on board with this if I wasn't always grinding. A 5 minute queue really starts to add up.

On the flip side when the grind is over and I have all the tanks I want there will probably be no reason to play this game as I'm not too keen on scheduling my life around tank battles.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ramsus posted:

AW queue is huge because no one plays. WOT could restrict their mm a bit to make the matches you get quite better without impacting wait time too drastically.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Confirming that as a relative newbie grinding a few tanks through T3, getting uptiered to 5 is hell. Though honestly, it's roughly as bad as in World of Warships, with T3 Kawachi vs T5 Minekaze being a great example. But at least you have until T4 before you start facing ships that can delete you in one salvo with frequency (T6 BBs). In this game, you just get oneshot by any of the T5 heavies with big guns, or hell, even an M4 would do it.

Anyways, random question. What the gently caress is up with the AMX ELC? Like... I don't get how it has a gun that does pretty ridiculous damage and can pen loving anything for a light. I'm not even seeing any downside, other than the rate of fire, but having such a high alpha gun on a platform that can then get itself safe for the reload... seems dumb. Whatever. Makes me want to work on french tanks. I'd terrorize TDs with that thing.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 22, 2016

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Hazdoc posted:

Anyways, random question. What the gently caress is up with the AMX ELC? Like... I don't get how it has a gun that does pretty ridiculous damage and can pen loving anything for a light. I'm not even seeing any downside, other than the rate of fire, but having such a high alpha gun on a platform that can then get itself safe for the reload... seems dumb. Whatever. Makes me want to work on french tanks. I'd terrorize TDs with that thing.

The ELC is amazing. I'm working on getting a second female crew member for it. The only downside to it is I can't use it to complete missions because it's 1 tier too low.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The ELC is very strong, but very flimsy and with only its speed as a defense. So you have to be really good at handling it on the move, because if you stop, you are absolutely hosed. So much like most French tanks, the margin for error is EXTREMELY thin; you're either amazing with it or trash.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Redeye Flight posted:

The ELC is very strong, but very flimsy and with only its speed as a defense. So you have to be really good at handling it on the move, because if you stop, you are absolutely hosed. So much like most French tanks, the margin for error is EXTREMELY thin; you're either amazing with it or trash.

Stopping is how you play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swl6-RAYjQM

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hazdoc posted:

Confirming that as a relative newbie grinding a few tanks through T3, getting uptiered to 5 is hell. Though honestly, it's roughly as bad as in World of Warships, with T3 Kawachi vs T5 Minekaze being a great example. But at least you have until T4 before you start facing ships that can delete you in one salvo with frequency (T6 BBs). In this game, you just get oneshot by any of the T5 heavies with big guns, or hell, even an M4 would do it.

The downside to the ELC is while you have an amazing gun, using it consistently is a huge problem. The gun has terrible bloom and aim time, hitting things is pretty difficult even with the game's current fascination with snapshotting. Also, the gun has a limited traverse which means you essentially have to drive right at something to shoot it, and driving in a straight line is a bad thing. There are some huge trade offs for that gun.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Ramsus posted:

Yeah man, i have 500 games and 60% wins in it, knowing how to play it isn't the problem

i will beat you up irl...the selling thing is a good idea, and I would but then I wouldn't have a chinese crew trainer unless I bought another tank

e. also wanted to add it was amazing when it was first released and is why i have one

Come at me, bro.

I can't seem to buy wins in my type, the drat thing is cursed.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

The ELC is very fast, has a good damaging high pen gun, and has good camo. The downsides are it has kind of crappy view range, has 400 HP, and gets tier 6 matchmaking. 400 HP is not good - you're flipping a coin every time someone shoots you with a 122mm gun. The gun is also really inaccurate, and you can't take advantage of #snapshotmeta as well due to not having a turret. Also the maps really punish the ELC sometimes. It's really fun to play but if you make a mistake, congrats you're probably dead.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Type 59 chat: sell it, take a screenshot to post everywhere you can, send a ticket in to support saying you accidentally sold it. they take the credits, give you your tank back, you still get to enjoy the responses on the forums.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

So AW is dead eh? I thought it was the new wondergame that was going to show WG how tanks should be done.
I played it for like a week when it came out and didn't get into it so w/e

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm not sure I trust Wargaming enough to risk that...

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Today I got called a goldspamming human being while driving the light VIC.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

Today I got called a goldspamming human being while driving the light VIC.

I have been called a goldspamming human being when I was shooting no gold at all, this game is sometimes very magical.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

BadLlama posted:

I have been called a goldspamming human being when I was shooting no gold at all, this game is sometimes very magical.

That's the joke, it doesn't have a premium round, it's got a machine gun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

I assume you told them "of course I'm shooting my gold, I'm trying to make some credits here!"

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Oh :(

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.

Fat Jesus posted:

So AW is dead eh? I thought it was the new wondergame that was going to show WG how tanks should be done.

My.com was apparently pretty garbage at trying trying to find solutions to fix the problems the game was having, so a bunch of the people just gave up and left all together. Some even came back to WoT surprisingly.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

brodoyouevengif posted:

My.com was apparently pretty garbage at trying trying to find solutions to fix the problems the game was having, so a bunch of the people just gave up and left all together. Some even came back to WoT surprisingly.

Thank god they're implementing a loot system to make up for the gameplay. WoT should take notes.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Like, I say a thousand matches? That's mostly a lie, since a lot of those consist of me being one of the first dead and just punching out at around two-three minutes in.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sandbox invite, time to spend 5m cr poorly and then tell everyone that they're big babies and also the game was better ten years ago :toot:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

sandbox invite, time to spend 5m cr poorly and then tell everyone that they're big babies and also the game was better ten years ago :toot:

The Sandbox currently is worse than the game has ever been, even before physics. I'd rather play on Assault as the attacker every time than try to suffer through terrible pen mechanics, worse accuracy and immortal heavies.

also +/-25% RNG with the lowered pen is loving atrocious. I was playing the E-100 on Ensk, north in that little E2 courtyard. An enemy 183 fires at a teammate, I peek through the opening, there's the 183 completely unangled on the opposite opening. I shoot it in the center of the lower plate with a 250 pen AP shell - and it doesn't pen. I was like, wow they must have buffed the 183's armor! So I load up the 183 - no they didn't buff the goddamn armor I just rolled laughably poorly.

e: i was playing the e100 not the 183, stupid numbers are hard

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 23, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You know, for as much as 'purples' (and I can't even really call myself one anymore since it's going on a year since I last played) bitch and complain about their stats going down, and least we're not *this* bad: http://kotaku.com/korean-woman-kicks-rear end-at-overwatch-gets-accused-of-ch-1782343447

“If there is a problem with our sponsors and such, I may visit Geguri’s house with a knife in hand. I am not joking.”

It's one thing to say this in a PM after you've baited someone into saying it, but it's quite another when you're saying it on the record to a journalist.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 23, 2016

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

I was accused of shooting gold in my 10cm O-Ho once, that was pretty fun.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The Sandbox currently is worse than the game has ever been, even before physics.

well yeah, of course. it's the first step in a major rebalance, there's no way that would be anything but a disaster if taken as-is. but it's an iterative process.

still lol at not giving people enough credits to actually play

Hellsau posted:

also +/-25% RNG with the lowered pen is loving atrocious. I was playing the 183

183 solutions: don't play the 183 (also don't create the 183, also remove the 183)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Fat Jesus posted:

AW has a pretty good PvE mode that with some time and attention could be a really good game. However they don't seem to want to make that game. Also their fixes to the game seemed to come at a high cost.
How they handle SPGs is great. SPGs shoot fast, accurate shells with a pretty decent ROF. Just the shells don't really do a lot of damage, and instead are good for getting people to move from cover, bang up crew and damage modules. Also they get smoke rounds to break LOS, flare rounds to spot an area, and can be counter-batteried if they don't pay attention.

Everything else? Not so much.

Prav posted:

well yeah, of course. it's the first step in a major rebalance, there's no way that would be anything but a disaster if taken as-is. but it's an iterative process.

still lol at not giving people enough credits to actually play

183 solutions: don't play the 183 (also don't create the 183, also remove the 183)

I've thought it weird that the 183 is the top tank of that tree, since its so different then every TD leading up to it from tier 5. I'm surprised that WGing didn't find some paper napkin drawing of a Tortoise 2 with even better armor and something like a autoloader. Or simply have wedged another AT-* series in the tree somewhere and moved the Tortoise to Tier 10.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i wonder how it feels to have everything you could wish for to take a shot at WoT and whiff that badly