Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Looks like the lack of control over the inner narrative regarding race is starting to trickle down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Hey, PJ, you mentioned answering some more questions. Uhm. If any of my questions about that ACE stuff are bothersome, or talking about it is too uncomfortable, please don't worry about answering. I know this forum makes fun of 'triggers' but they are a real thing outside of tumblr bullshit, so don't stress yourself for the sake of our dumb curiosity.

:3:

Feinne posted:

I think we're seeing a great example of authoritarians who've completely abstracted themselves from any semblance of reality in Venezuela right now. They're ideologically incapable of acknowledging what is going on in the country right now so instead they're just loudly insisting that there is nothing wrong and IF by some chance there WAS something wrong clearly it's caused by their dastardly nemeses.

People have had their phones taken for taking pictures and videos. Food and medical supplies have gotten scarce.

Do you know if they're accepting shipments of those supplies from other countries, or are their leadership so far gone that they refuse aid?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

DicktheCat posted:

Hey, PJ, you mentioned answering some more questions. Uhm. If any of my questions about that ACE stuff are bothersome, or talking about it is too uncomfortable, please don't worry about answering. I know this forum makes fun of 'triggers' but they are a real thing outside of tumblr bullshit, so don't stress yourself for the sake of our dumb curiosity.

It isn't the most pleasant subject for me to write about to be quite honest, however I feel that I'm in a somewhat unique position to spread awareness about this particular subject. I'm hardly the first person to start putting out personal material about ACE , however there is a well-established pattern among the people who have tried to do so of eventually abandoning the project. For most, it simply becomes not worth it and they just move on with their lives.

That said I am committed to eventually putting together a detailed analysis of ACE incorporating all the material I've uncovered over the years, as to my knowledge there really isn't anyone who's tied ACE to the Council for National Policy or connected the dots with regards to the purpose of ACE like I have.

At the moment I'm working on a detailed effort post specifically about the origins and political connections of ACE, as well as how ACE as remained off the radar. It's taking me a little bit longer to do than I really expected because it is certainly not the most pleasant subject for me to write about. But at a certain point, I know I can handle the frustration and frankly it just doesn't matter how much it hurts anymore. Exposing ACE is more important to me, I just have to make sure that I pace myself.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

DicktheCat posted:

People have had their phones taken for taking pictures and videos. Food and medical supplies have gotten scarce.

Do you know if they're accepting shipments of those supplies from other countries, or are their leadership so far gone that they refuse aid?

The government has pointedly refused any offer of aid, and I'm pretty sure their position is in fact that food and medicine are available and anyone who says otherwise is part of the CIA/Colombian axis trying to destabilize the country.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

At the moment I'm working on a detailed effort post specifically about the origins and political connections of ACE, as well as how ACE as remained off the radar. It's taking me a little bit longer to do than I really expected because it is certainly not the most pleasant subject for me to write about. But at a certain point, I know I can handle the frustration and frankly it just doesn't matter how much it hurts anymore. Exposing ACE is more important to me, I just have to make sure that I pace myself.

Please take extra care! Your emotional health is vastly more important than cranking out a tell-all expose. Take a lot of breaks!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
That ACE video doesn't look too bad on its surface. Curriculum tailored to each student and self-paced learning are pretty progressive.
It's the practice that's terrible. It's what's in that tailored curriculum. It's how "discipline" is metered out. It's how favoritism plays into that individual treatment. It's how "self-paced" is used to bludgeon those who don't fit in.
I can really see how a well-meaning Christian parent could get suck(er)ed into it. And that's scary.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Prester Jane, would it be okay if I link your blog in a comment post on WeHuntedTheMammoth? I don't want to cause any undue duress on you, so I would like to know if it would be okay? Sorry if this is soinding like a silly question.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Aleph Null posted:

That ACE video doesn't look too bad on its surface. Curriculum tailored to each student and self-paced learning are pretty progressive.
It's the practice that's terrible. It's what's in that tailored curriculum. It's how "discipline" is metered out. It's how favoritism plays into that individual treatment. It's how "self-paced" is used to bludgeon those who don't fit in.
I can really see how a well-meaning Christian parent could get suck(er)ed into it. And that's scary.

When I was in the Navy I learned electronics by using self-paced, Skinner style programmed learning.

It was great for me, I probably got a year of education in a few months.

Most people really struggled.

I guess my point is that the general idea isn't too far out, especially for something that's not particularly creative in nature. But how the heck do you teach art or literature like that and get a good result?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Annointed posted:

Prester Jane, would it be okay if I link your blog in a comment post on WeHuntedTheMammoth? I don't want to cause any undue duress on you, so I would like to know if it would be okay? Sorry if this is soinding like a silly question.

By all means go right ahead, I've started putting my work out on a public blog just so that I can get more exposure.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Aleph Null posted:

Even just taking the ACE commercial at face value--like Dr. Arbitrary, that looks like a good way to focus on exam-cram learning for a technical subject. But the people in the video are children, and they're meant to be doing this style of learning for years.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Halloween Jack posted:

Even just taking the ACE commercial at face value--like Dr. Arbitrary, that looks like a good way to focus on exam-cram learning for a technical subject. But the people in the video are children, and they're meant to be doing this style of learning for years.

Yeah, it sounds awful.

I think I did a little bit of ACE as a small child, a lot of it seemed sorta familiar, I remember grading my own work and the style just seemed familiar.

I remember getting homework assignments that were pages and pages of analog clocks, with instructions to color the big hand red, color the little hand yellow. What time is it? I found those assignments to be very unpleasant.

Years later my mother confessed to me, now an adult, that she hated those assignments, was angry that they were being assigned and wanted so badly to tell me I didn't have to do them, but you know, she was a grown-up and kids are supposed to do their homework.

She was also very frustrated at how much time they spent trying to teach me phonics when she'd already taught me to read. I distinctly remember doing a worksheet on the letter "c" which had a picture of a corn on the cob, and I had to make dozens of c's to represent the individual kernels.

I only spent two years in that school so I don't think there was any permanent damage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When I was in the Navy I learned electronics by using self-paced, Skinner style programmed learning.

It was great for me, I probably got a year of education in a few months.

Most people really struggled.

I guess my point is that the general idea isn't too far out, especially for something that's not particularly creative in nature. But how the heck do you teach art or literature like that and get a good result?

You also weren't a child who needed to socialize and who was literally beaten for mistakes

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Literally The Worst posted:

You also weren't a child who needed to socialize and who was literally beaten for mistakes

Oh god, I'm not trying to defend ACE. I'm just talking about how there's a little peanut of a decent idea embedded in all the poo poo.

I can totally see how they could really fool themselves and others by using techniques that can be effective in certain contexts.

It's not going to produce good human beings though if that's all they do.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
The thing about ACE is that you are never actually learning anything. That's one of the most infuriating and frustrating parts, it is literally 98% busy work, and that is deliberate. You never engage with the material, you never actually get to do anything with what you learned, all you do is make sure you fill in the blanks in the correct way. That's literally all that ever matters with ACE.

And as a student you spend the vast bulk of your school day sitting quietly at your own little cubicle filling out these meaningless worksheets. Your entire School career is composed of making sure you provide the exact correct answer in the exact correct way, you're never actually tested to see if you comprehend the material, and you are never actually pushed to do anything except to push yourself to fill out more of these worksheets in a given day.

Here's an example of someone going through an entire PACE dedicated to ancient history. This is the equivalent of a freshman year history lesson, and a PACE is supposed to take about three weeks for a student to do, so everything reviewed in this video is supposed to be 3 weeks worth of learning. As you can see, the entire thing is just busy work with a couple of random factoids thrown in with barely any context to connect them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2tCMlHEBI

Although the system would still be atrocious if you are actually learning, at least you would be actually learning something and engaging your mind. All you are doing is the equivalent of filling out TPS reports, all day everyday. Well, sometimes you're in Bible study or sitting through two hour Hellfire and Brimstone sermons about how you won't get to grow up to be an adult because the end times are so imminent. Growing up me and my fellow students literally didn't talk about what we wanted to be when we grew up, we talked about what we would do if we grew up.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 23, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As much as I despise the kind of fringe, typically Baptist Protestant Christianity to which this program seems designed to appeal, I can feel sorry for some of the parents who would be taken in by it. To people who barely received any education themselves, it looks so professional and adult! Look, the girls are wearing nice dresses and the boys are wearing ties! Just like in big-city fancy office jobs that pay lots of money!

Pardon me, I'm out of ouzo.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Halloween Jack posted:

As much as I despise the kind of fringe, typically Baptist Protestant Christianity to which this program seems designed to appeal, I can feel sorry for some of the parents who would be taken in by it. To people who barely received any education themselves, it looks so professional and adult! Look, the girls are wearing nice dresses and the boys are wearing ties! Just like in big-city fancy office jobs that pay lots of money!

Pardon me, I'm out of ouzo.

There is honestly a subset of parents who get wrapped up in this system believing that it's a good system run by well-intentioned people. I've known a number of families who wound up involved in an ACE school for four or five years and it's become the sort of thing that the adults have had to apologize to their children for. I've known more than a few people who were honest-to-goodness salt-of-the-earth well-intentioned ribs who deeply regret getting wrapped up in the system. I've also known a few families for whom buzzwords related to ACE get spat out (rather than spoken) like they're the vilest form of profanity-once they've been out of the system for a few years. It quite literally functions as a cult recruitment tool and can make parents get involved in such horrific things that they're left with the difficult choice of either admitting to themselves and to their children that they've been participating in industrialized child abuse, or pushing themselves to buy into the system even more in an effort to avoid that kind of guilt.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I literally would have died. I struggled with busywork as a kid in public school. As in, I literally ended up getting bad grades because I was such a stubborn little fucker that I flat out refused to do things like word searches and crosswords. I knew the vocab, and would ace the tests, but busywork drove me up a wall.

Trite as it is, it makes me think of Orwell, or Bradbury. I can't remember if it was 1984 or Fahrenheit 451 that decried just learning a bunch of facts with no context or engagement with the meaning behind them. Just facts, facts, facts.

Feinne posted:

The government has pointedly refused any offer of aid, and I'm pretty sure their position is in fact that food and medicine are available and anyone who says otherwise is part of the CIA/Colombian axis trying to destabilize the country.

That's really sick. Really really sick.

To speak once more of Orwell, "We've always been at war with Eastasia."

I bet the guys at the top still get enough food.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
PJ, how much do you know about the Quiverfull movement? I've heard it come up in connection with the Duggars, and had a Facebook friend ranting about it a year or so ago, but I still don't really know the deal. I figure, that group seems at least in the same orbit as the groups you've talked about, so you might know something.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

phasmid posted:

Thank you for all of this substantive backstory and for sharing your personal outlook. This thread has a lot of "meat" to it, I'm sure the wider public would be interested to know all of this stuff you told us. As I said earlier, I knew there were institutions like this out there somewhere but to borrow your analogy from the blog, it still feels like talking to Mowgli about the jungle.

At the risk of :tinfoil: is it possible the reason that a lot of people don't know about ACE is that only certain people are supposed to know about it? For such a widespread institution, these people seem to enjoy their privacy - despite being backed and funded by some real heavyweights of the Christian Right-Wing. What I mean is, do you think there's some sort of P.R. arm of this confederation that wages a disinformation/silence campaign to shake off criticism? Especially criticism from people like you who have seen their inner workings and identified them?

It would be great if you got a bunch of people interested in this. Not only could you probably get some news coverage, but every little bit helps fighting against the bastards.

Hyper evangelicals deliberately separate themselves from society as much as they can. ACE is not a disease; it is a symptom. The real issues come from evangelicals deciding that theirs is The One True and Good Path. They are right and all others are wrong. You MUST follow what they believe with no deviation or you are Wrong and Bad. They believe that hammering their children into that mold whether they fit or not is good because you're saving them from hell.

This also plays into their beliefs on America; as pj mentioned they believe the end times are very close. You see this in people that genuinely believe that Obama is the antichrist and that America's increasing tolerance of the gays is the source of all its problems. This is also why they harp on obedience so much; if you follow unquestiomimgly then you won't be gay and won't incur God's wrath.

Which leads to their horrendous treatment of LGBT people. They believe that by daring to exist all LGBT people are goobering everything up. Thus we must as a society destroy or cure them. However, America overall is accepting them increasingly overall as well as declining in overall Christianness so the evangelicals are isolating themselves from the rest of us heathen filth who will never be saved. Some of them still go witness but others are doing things like what pj talks about.

Also, sorry if it seems like I might be trying to steal your thunder from time to time pj; this is something I dealt with as well. I never went through anything as awful as you did but evangelicalism runs rampant where I'm from. I have far more insight and experience with those beliefs than I'd like. A lot of goons don't seem to have much exposure with it so I vomit information about it when appropriate.

For the rest of you trust me when I say that evangelicals are far worse than you think they are.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Always feel free to contribute your own experiences with these matters, steal my thunder all you want. Being the king of this mountain is not a life goal of mine. To be quite honest, if ACE shut down tomorrow I would delete everything I've written about them and never speak about it again for the rest of my life.

To be quite honest at one point in my recovery last year I had decided that I was just going to completely abandon talking or writing about AC and just pretend that it never happened. Alas, I have an extremely noisy conscience that will not shut off and so here I am.

Also there's a whole hell of a lot of West Virginia coal miner that runs in my veins. Fighting the company story is something that my family husband notorious for for many generations. My father's side of the family is part of a little (mostly extinct now)micro culture of slavs that immigrated to West Virginia and became coal miners. (I still have the family recipe for chicken paprikash.) We are notorious for figuring out how systems work and beating them at their own game as well as being able to teach mules a thing or five about stubbornness. (My cousins and I have long joked that the official family motto should be "I can ignore you for as long as it takes.")

I take very much after my paternal grandmother, she was a legit West Virginia coal miners daughter raised in the worst of the Great Recession, also she was very (in)famous in our local area for a multi-decade feud she had with a local branch of an international chemical conglomerate. Back in the seventies they hired her on to be the on call nurse for compliance with OSHA standards. They no doubt hired her because they saw the unpronounceable last name and that she was coming from the backwoods of West Virginia, they probably figured her an easily controlled bumpkin because they expected her to rubber-stamp all the insane violations that were going on. (Also she implied once that the CEO had sexually assaulted her)

I learned a great deal from my grandmother about how to study a system and beat it, she took pains to tell her grandchildren stories about how the world works. In her case with that company she pretended to go along with the flow while secretly she created a detailed report of each and every infraction and violation that she could find and when she blew the whistle she jumped up the chain strait to someone with serious authority, and did so with an eight-figure estimate of the potential fines in hand. She arranged so that the government inspectors arrived on a Friday evening of a three-day weekend, where all the executives had left early in the day to go on a fishing trip together and only the dumbass crew was still around running things.

Despite all this it still took that company nearly two years to find an excuse to fire her, and she walked smiling into work everyday and just basked in their hatred. Her reputation was such afterwards that she was able to obtain some rather influential positions as an OSHA nurse in the area. (when my mother gave birth to my youngest sibling I once saw my grandmother literally bully her way into the recovery room by calmly stating her name and politely asking the nurse who was trying to prevent her from going in what hers was) She was also very very involved in local politics and would do things like volunteer to be the Secretary of city councils that she didn't even live in just so she could have the ear of the council in order to persuade them to see the massive amount of money that could be made from regulating the pollution that said chemical company was trying to dump into a local lake.

Grandma was a dangerous woman.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 23, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

DicktheCat posted:

That's really sick. Really really sick.

To speak once more of Orwell, "We've always been at war with Eastasia."

I bet the guys at the top still get enough food.

You certainly don't get to be as fat as they are by skipping meals.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

I've known a number of families who wound up involved in an ACE school for four or five years and it's become the sort of thing that the adults have had to apologize to their children for.

In your ACE thread I mentioned I had some relatives in Orwell with kids in one of these type of schools. Since then they have pulled them out. Currently they are being home schooled (which normally I'd be upset about, but in this case its a vast improvement). Your thread had a small part in that and I think it's worth thanking you.

Also most WV Grandmas are dangerous and awesome. My great grand mother (who was Pretty Boy Floyds niece) started a family tradition of giving new brides cast iron. So they could kill their husbands in their sleep with it if they ever beat them or cheated on them.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Your grandma sounds like she was a badass, I'm jealous.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So with the UK officially leaving the EU, I have to wonder if any british goons have noticed patterns among their own much like what we've discussed here or not.

David Cameron coming out as not wanting to leave, as well as immediately resigning (probably throwing up his hands and saying 'FINE! You get your way but I wash my hands of it.') strikes me as a reaction to the british version of the tea party getting loose of the reins and biting the right winger's hand.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
They even apparently had an outer narrative of "Sovereignty!" and an inner narrative of "Polacks!".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

E-Tank posted:

So with the UK officially leaving the EU, I have to wonder if any british goons have noticed patterns among their own much like what we've discussed here or not.

David Cameron coming out as not wanting to leave, as well as immediately resigning (probably throwing up his hands and saying 'FINE! You get your way but I wash my hands of it.') strikes me as a reaction to the british version of the tea party getting loose of the reins and biting the right winger's hand.

Not exactly. You see a great deal of the problem is basically a split between old and young compounded by problems of income inequality which had an easy bug bear.

Its not possible to label a large amount of the country as idiots or racists, but I mean things aren't being helped by people believing poo poo like "We will totally use the money we send the EU on the NHS, honest".

I am generally keeping out of it on here, because it's just depressing, there is no hope to it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

E-Tank posted:

I am genuinely curious about this as well, I don't follow British politics or culture in the slightest so I wouldn't even be able to even begin to make a guess. On the other hand Nigel Farage is already calling for handguns to be legalized.

Daily Mail posted:

Nigel Farage was engulfed in a fresh controversy yesterday when he said the ban on owning handguns was ‘crackers’.

The Ukip leader said his party would legalise and license firearms for ‘responsible’ owners who kept them locked up.

Edit: Longtime readers of this thread should buying this particular development completely unsurprising. (Phone posting so quoting from the USpol thread is much simpler.)

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 24, 2016

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Pavlov posted:

They even apparently had an outer narrative of "Sovereignty!" and an inner narrative of "Polacks!".

Well they were basically co-opting nazi propaganda.

Like, straight up.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Wow, so the Trump/GOP thread says exploded into a response against 'the globalists', particularly in response to Brexit. I have a hunch this might be a unifying plank for the clusters:

religious - satan's minions running the world, left behind style
economic - bircher style 'the jews'
conspiracy - illuminati / lizard people
racist - jews / immigrants

Saying 'the globalist enemy' lets you signal each faction that you are with them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

E-Tank posted:

Well they were basically co-opting nazi propaganda.

Like, straight up.

And as Helen Highwater pointed out, count the words in that slogan on the breaking point poster.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Loel posted:

Wow, so the Trump/GOP thread says exploded into a response against 'the globalists', particularly in response to Brexit. I have a hunch this might be a unifying plank for the clusters:

Saying 'the globalist enemy' lets you signal each faction that you are with them.

I can see why: their stated goal "won" in a country last night, then the consequences immediately flattened their economy, actually waking some of the less deluded up to see what a terrible idea it was. That kind of challenge to the narrative requires immediate response to keep the groups unified and nothing works better for that purpose to them than a vague enemy to blame. They need to work fast if to avoid reality catching up with them.

Trump being even dumber and hammering harder on bigotry than normal might be his attempt to do this as well. That or he's really too narcissistic and ill informed to realize he's sounding more of an idiot than ever.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 25, 2016

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
What seems really strange to me, but propably fits right on the narrativist profile, is that pro brexit people don't seem to have any clue what to now that they have actually won. It even seems that they won't be invoking the article 50 any time soon. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/leave-campaign-rows-back-key-pledges-immigration-nhs-spending

quote:

Meanwhile, Liam Fox cast doubt on the necessity of triggering the article 50 clause of the Lisbon treaty that sets out the legal process for a country’s EU withdrawal.

“A lot of things were said in advance of this referendum that we might want to think about again and that [invoking article 50] is one of them,” said the Conservative MP.

“I think that it doesn’t make any sense to trigger article 50 without having a period of reflection first, for the cabinet to determine exactly what it is that we’re going to be seeking and in what timescale.

This really doesn't sound like a winner to me.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

"gently caress EVERYONE I WANT THIS!!!"
*gets it*
"Wait, let's be reasonable and think about it first."

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Geostomp posted:

Trump being even dumber and hammering harder on bigotry than normal might be his attempt to do this as well. That or he's really too narcissistic and ill informed to realize he's sounding more of an idiot than ever.

In my personal analysis Trump isn't a Narrativist per se, he's more like a blind force of nature that has learned how to manipulate Narrativists for its own purposes. Narrativists also happen to be extremely easy to manipulate if you're just willing to let them have permission to live out the dictates of their Inner Narrative. A clinical narcissist like Trump is almost the perfect match for manipulating a Narrativist.

A clinical narcissist desperately wants to have the false image of themselves that they project to be validated by those that surround them, and at the same time a Narrativist desperately wants a leader who will both give validation to their internet him as well as giving them social sanction to bully/harass/kill The Enemy. In this way they each give the other something they want, specifically they both get permission to live and their delusion instead of reality.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

"gently caress EVERYONE I WANT THIS!!!"
*gets it*
"Wait, let's be reasonable and think about it first."

A Narrativist does not think strategically beyond simply having their big fight. The underlying assumption is that once the enemy is defeated the heroes will all lock arms and walk into the sunset (as the credits roll across the screen), confident that the remaining problems can all be easily resolved now that The Enemy has been defeated. There is no plan for "after", the only strategic that they are really capable of engaging in various ways to attempt to make their enemy into giving them the big fight they want. You can see this for example in the mail here Refuge standoff. Suppose for a moment they had successfully taken that territory? What exactly were they going to accomplish by holding a bird refuge that was 40 miles from the nearest (very small) town? How exactly what they have even held the territory if the US government had decided to take them seriously and sent in the National Guard?

The answer is they never even thought to ask these questions, they just wanted their big fight and assumed that as long as they got their big fight then the God-Force would make sure that they won and everything would work out just fine.

Loel posted:

"Globalists" does seem to be the Outer Narrative that the Clusters are settling on as a result of the ongoing Narrative Convergence. As this particular Outer Natrative basically has its roots in Russian anti-semitism (It originates in the Paranoid Cluster which has relied heavily on the John Birch Societies Blue Book , which is itself just rushing anti-Semitism with "International Banker" substituted for "Jew") I would expect that this will eventually result in a marked increase in the visibility and power of both anti-Semitism and blatant White Supremacy within the four clusters.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
An interesting little tidbit that demonstrates the power of Narrative Convergence as well as demonstrates just how far a Narrativist will go in decieving themselves so long as it involves opposition to The Enemy. (A Narrativist selects their leader based purely upon who they perceive as presenting the most credible threat to The Enemy, absolutely no other consideration matters. Whatsoever.)

Politico posted:

Trump met with hundreds of evangelical leaders in New York earlier this week, and while some well-known figures — such as Liberty University president, Jerry Falwell Jr. — have endorsed the candidate, others are more hesitant to do so.
However, Dobson, a Christian psychologist and founder of the Focus on the Family group, said he knows “the person who led [Trump] to Christ. And that’s fairly recent.”
“I don’t know when it was, but it has not been long,” Dobson said in an interview with Pennsylvania megachurch pastor Michael Anthony following that meeting in New York. ”I believe he really made a commitment, but he’s a baby Christian

In the same vein we have this little video where a man who routinely calls for gay people to be executed by the state talks about how he supports the right of every American to live a life free of fear and that's why Trump will be better for the LGBT community then Hillary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_S1Td2ieqk

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 25, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

hosed up. But not surprising anymore.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So I need some feedback on something thread, there's something I've been thinking about doing for a very very long time now. I'm thinking about publicly naming the pastor of the cop who abused me and putting what I've written about my experiences under his care up on my block with his real name and photo. I've been hesitant to do so in the past because of a variety of personal reasons, especially since I was worried about the potential for calling down and internet mob on a school where children might get caught up in the crossfire. However, it's summer vacation and school is out of session. In addition I think I'm finally at a point in my recovery or I'm strong enough to go public and out him. (Also there is the fact that sometimes I do wake up in the middle of the night and all I can think about is stopping him from hurting anyone else.)

I've already made reports to law enforcement about what I experienced, but these stand as little more than allegations at present and there's really nothing they can do except make a note in a file somewhere that I made the allegations. The only way I can really see to stand a chance of ending the abuse is to go public, but it's a very difficult decision for me to make and I need some feedback.

I'm not looking to be told what to do one way or the other, I'm just looking for some help in thinking through this. This is a big decision and if I pull the trigger on this there's really no going back. What do you guys think?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Prester Jane posted:

I'm not looking to be told what to do one way or the other, I'm just looking for some help in thinking through this. This is a big decision and if I pull the trigger on this there's really no going back. What do you guys think?
Do you think you can put up with the bullshit? Given the emphasis on pissing all over trans people, people might just push that button over and over and over again to smear you. I can see this very disgusting thought process from assholes:

1. PJ's trans.
2. Trans people are obsessed with sex, because of course they are. :rolleyes:
3. The abuse probably had some perverted fulfillment angle to it that somehow PJ instigated because everything is sex, sex, sex to trans people. I mean, just like how gay people are obsessed with sex. Look at those gay pride parades!
4. Therefore, this poor man was just ensnared in PJs web of masochism.
5. How dare PJ do this! Let's post all her information everywhere? Or, we'll post all his information because our heads are up our asses about that gender identity mumbo-jumbo.

You'd have to be ready to have all your own stuff posted online too, and probably having people bothering you about it at times where you don't want to even think about it. You certainly have a sympathetic group here, but you should make sure people actually local to you are sympathetic too, because you're going to need a lot of support.

Or, nothing might happen, but you want to be prepared.

My own position in the matter is that I'm expecting a few years from now to be driving home from work with Fresh Air on the radio, and they have you on to talk about all this.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

Unless he's convicted of the specific things you're going to be talking about, you're opening yourself up to a whole heaping of lawsuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I would recommend against it, simply putting the information out there on your own really gives him just about all the power and he really is innocent until proven guilty under the law. Plus you do have a history of schizophrenia and I imagine that would give him enough room to walk easily, since he's a Pillar of the Community and you're basically a rando with a history of mental health problems and a known delinquent type (by their definition, of course).

Which is not to say I don't believe you, I just think that making no formal legal accusation leaves you at a very disadvantageous position. poo poo's hosed yo, I'm sorry :sigh:

• Locked thread