Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My flight instructor said a very scary 4 letter word to me after today's lesson.

"Solo"

Apparently I'm ahead of the curve and once we cover go arounds and in circuit engine failures in our next lesson or two I should get my PSTAR out of the way (groundshool is almost over as well) and bring in a copy of my medical.

Guess it's time to bring an extra shirt with me when I go flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

My flight instructor said a very scary 4 letter word to me after today's lesson.

"Solo"

Apparently I'm ahead of the curve and once we cover go arounds and in circuit engine failures in our next lesson or two I should get my PSTAR out of the way (groundshool is almost over as well) and bring in a copy of my medical.

That's loving awesome! I wish someone had warned me to take an extra shirt, I ended up with the Canadian tuxedo with no shirt, since all I had was a jean jacket I left in my car. Not a good look.

Have you not done a go-around already during your training? If so, that's really impressive, I did several before I went solo (not for training purposes, because I cocked up the approaches).

The Slaughter posted:

So I used to land 206s all day every day at complicated, busy airports like this. I think a cirrus is faster than 206, is it not? That said, we had a couple of extra tools... an insane amount of drag, I could bring it in over the numbers at 1000 and get down on a long runway like that in the first 3000 feet, no problem. Second off, could fly an approach speed of about ~130 for most of the way and then get off runway quick. (Vapp in most jets is probably 135 average, anyway.) I probably would have been annoyed as gently caress if they kept doing this to me, though. Why not just let me do 360s on a short base and then bring me in when you get a chance...

You can learn something from every accident, and if there's something to be learned from this accident, it's to speak up when you're in over your head or don't feel comfortable with what you're doing, or if you would prefer an alternate approach. The worst that will happen is the controller will get annoyed -- if everyone makes it home safe, that's a price every pilot should be willing to pay. Don't let your ego gently caress with you -- don't worry about what the controller will think, act in the best interests of everyone's safety. It doesn't matter if it's your first solo or if you have an ATPL.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Could she have run out of fuel during that time?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Could she have run out of fuel during that time?

Well then she'd have whatever runway she wanted.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If she was close to running out of fuel after circling while waiting for a better opportunity she could declare and then everyone would be told to go sit and spin so she could land.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

If she was close to running out of fuel after circling while waiting for a better opportunity she could declare and then everyone would be told to go sit and spin so she could land.

Yeah, that YouTube video was only 7 minutes. If you're that close on fuel: a) you hosed up in flight planning somewhere, assuming the rest of the flight was normal and b) you should've declared an emergency, or at least advised the tower, before your first approach.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Haha my first solo was in negative 30. They took my jacket and one bucket had frozen to slush. It...was funny

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EvilJoven posted:

"Solo"

Nice!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I used to live 0.25 miles from a small airport in Ann Arbor (sup Animal) and in three years always thought it'd be nice to learn to fly.

Well, now I'm in Seattle and I've decided I want to loving learn how to fly a seaplane. Step 1, getting my basic private pilot's license going so I can at least take friends up and around.

Anyone in this area / PNW have any recommendations? Lots of options, lots of FBOs out here.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
First step, move back somewhere where it's not so cloudy and rainy all the time and learn how to fly there.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

First step, move back somewhere where it's not so cloudy and rainy all the time and learn how to fly there.

It's summer right now, so here's my chance to go VFR. Guess the fall's a good time to continue into IFR.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Fun fact. My first ATC facility was supposed to be Ann Arbor. 3500ft paved runway, intersected by a grass strip. Tower only.

Thankfully, I got my assignment changed.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
movax when you say seattle, is KRNT convenient for you? cause that's sort of the seaplane activity hub around here.
BEFA would be the best if you plan to rent the floatplane and actually plan on ever taking it solo or taking it on cross countries. Literally nobody else will, so if you don't plan on buying one, it will be nothing but a merit badge or you always have to bring an instructor with you.
You can just get sponsored by a CFI to join as a guest member. It's a pain though and the dues are high. I quit because I wasn't flying enough to justify the $100/mo in dues. If you're flying a bunch though the hourly rates are fantastic because you pay tach instead of hobbs so all your pattern work for example is nearly 1/2 price if you make nice power off approaches like you should in any light single piston aircraft.

FK, ann arbor wouldn't have really been that bad. When I was there, I never saw anybody actually use the grass runway. And it was pretty slow. You would have just been looking out the window most of the time.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
At the time it would have been a cross country move to a tower only facility for 45k/yr. I mean, I still would have taken the job. But I'm super glad I went somewhere with radar instead.

And I'm even more glad we got a contract ratified shortly after I started.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 19, 2016

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I have my aircraft commander board on Friday. Everyone send me some good vibes this week as a I study a mountain of publications!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Don't be like the C-130 pilot I flew with who, on his route check, said "well we can just let everyone except the AC and FE go hypoxic until we get to Hawaii, then they'll wake up on the descent" on a notional cabin pressurization failure scenario halfway between CONUS and Hickam.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Seems reasonable to me.

Good luck, Bob A Feet

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Good luck, Bob A Feet.

overdesigned posted:

Don't be like the C-130 pilot I flew with who, on his route check, said "well we can just let everyone except the AC and FE go hypoxic until we get to Hawaii, then they'll wake up on the descent" on a notional cabin pressurization failure scenario halfway between CONUS and Hickam.

:wtc:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I have officially owned my Cherokee 180 for one year.

I have flown her 86 exceedingly trouble free hours since purchase.

Highest Airport: KSKX - Taos Municipal Aiport (NM)

I'm totaling up my expenses and getting a summary together if anybody wants to read it.

(hint: the cost of the hangar outweighs any other expense)

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 22, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Apollo posted:

I'm totaling up my expenses and getting a summary together if anybody wants to read it.

I am supremely interested in this as a Cherokee 180 is on my shortlist. Our club has two Cessna 172P's, and while I like it, I would like something with a bit more usable load. Leaning towards a Cherokee 180, Archer II, Cessna 182, or maybe...juuuuuuuuust maybe a Mooney M20J as a very outside possibility. I would either have to find an outstanding, once in a lifetime deal otherwise the M20J would likely deplete my flying fund for a good while.

The goal is to buy a plane and have 10K sitting in the bank. The average M20J just about kills goal.

Tide fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 22, 2016

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bob A Feet posted:

I have my aircraft commander board on Friday. Everyone send me some good vibes this week as a I study a mountain of publications!

Good luck. As I was told after my mission commander board, "from now on is when you get to start making the really interesting/educational mistakes".

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Tide posted:

I am supremely interested in this as a Cherokee 180 is on my shortlist. Our club has two Cessna 172P's, and while I like it, I would like something with a bit more usable load. Leaning towards a Cherokee 180, Archer II, Cessna 182, or maybe...juuuuuuuuust maybe a Mooney M20J as a very outside possibility. I would either have to find an outstanding, once in a lifetime deal otherwise the M20J would likely deplete my flying fund for a good while.

The goal is to buy a plane and have 10K sitting in the bank. The average M20J just about kills goal.

Don't say the M word around Apollo

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Rickety Cricket posted:

Medicals?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

Yeah totally. I'm kicking around the idea of owning in the next 5 years.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rickety Cricket posted:

Hah.

Someone here owns a Mooney. I was thinking it was Apollo, but thats not right.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Captain Apollo posted:

I have officially owned my Cherokee 180 for one year.

I have flown her 86 exceedingly trouble free hours since purchase.

Highest Airport: KSKX - Taos Municipal Aiport (NM)

My Cherokee 180 anniversary was last week.

It has been pretty trouble free as well. Autopilot had a bit of a hiccup last week but it looks like it was just the knob on the heading indicator sticking in.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I just checked out a club here in NY that has a Cherokee 180 and 140. I haven't flown a piper in about 9 years but they seem to be in great condition. They just had new avionics put in the 180 and rent them both out for $140 tach (I believe) wet. Is that a pretty reasonable rate? The other option they are offering is a $2500 buy-in stake to the club which drops it down to $90hr. The dues are $50/mo with no minimum and you can sell your stake back for what you paid if/when you decide to leave. Right now, I don't really see myself flying more than twice a month, maybe a few times more while the weather is nice, to justify putting $2500 down; especially when I'm looking for a new house. I do need a BFR/checkout though and I would love to get back to instrument currency. THIS IS HARD.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Honestly, it depends on how much of the ownership you want. The second option sounds much more like a partnership where you need everyone to agree to do maintenance and repairs. The first option is much more of a traditional "gently caress it I'm out" for 6 months kind of a thing.

still totalling - thank god for scanned receipts. Now I know why A&ps get upset when an owner hands them a 'shoebox of crap.'

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I passed. I've got a few sims and flights to accomplish to get the actual designation but the hardest part is done now.

I no poo poo got a "fly passengers across country" question about oxygen usage. I did not let them go hypoxic. Id say about 33% were MV-22 system related questions, 33% were OPNAV/SOP questions, and the last third tactical/threat related.

If anyone is in Boston, I'll be hosting a static display of an Osprey in Boston harbor next weekend. Come out and give me a shout.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did my first solo today.

Fuckin eh.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Did my first solo today.

Fuckin eh.

Congrats, PIC.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

EvilJoven posted:

Did my first solo today.

Fuckin eh.

Congratulations. I'm stoked for you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

EvilJoven posted:

Did my first solo today.

Fuckin eh.

Good job. Always nice to know you did something huge that most people will never do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Did my first solo today.

Fuckin eh.

Congratulations! How did it go, if you don't mind me asking?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'll post a trip report when I have time tonight but basically it boils down to I know I have work to do to get consistently good so it's not like I'm overconfident about my skills.

but.

I did solo at only 12 hours and my instructor said that it's extremely rare to have a student to solo at 12 hours and he wouldn't have let me done it if he had any doubts about my ability :smuggo:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

EvilJoven posted:

I'll post a trip report when I have time tonight but basically it boils down to I know I have work to do to get consistently good so it's not like I'm overconfident about my skills.

but.

I did solo at only 12 hours and my instructor said that it's extremely rare to have a student to solo at 12 hours and he wouldn't have let me done it if he had any doubts about my ability :smuggo:

Captain Apollo 2.0

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Goddamn, I just checked mine and I soloed at 28 hours. Maybe I really sucked...

EDIT: I did it over 6 months. Guess it's true what they say about flying often.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 26, 2016

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I solo'd at like 28... maybe 40 hours? haha, idk. But in that was a change of airport, flight school, plane, and long gaps due to weather, plus a very cautious CFI. In retrospect, he was overly cautious, but when I finally did solo, I was very comfortable in the plane and it was NBD.
Just broke 2000 hours today... Got several "smooth flight!" and "nice landing"'s today in SLC from the pax, so somehow despite my LONG SOLO i must be an ok pilot :v:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK so trip report.

I woke up this morning expecting to do a bit more pattern work and then ground school for the day. I knew my solo would be any day now and suspected today, we'd just finished everything necessary leading up to this. The PSTAR was a cakewalk thanks to a study app I'd bought and the radio exam, which wasn't covered at all by the practice tests, was still fairly easy thanks to some prior experience doing land and marine radio stuff.

Got up there with my instructor to do some practice stuff, get brushed up on slow flight stalls and whatnot. It was bumpy as poo poo, the clouds had just broken and all the field had big rear end puddles so the sun was heating things so unevenly it was like flying on speedbumps.

Get back to CYAV airspace, did a touch and go and heard on the radio that a guy who'd rented a 152 from us was stuck on 13 holding short of 22 (active at the time) with a dead engine. Apparently that thing is a pain in the rear end to restart if it quits on you when its hot. So I told my instructor that seeing as I didn't feel like being a tremendous rear end in a top hat today I was OK if he wanted us to full stop so we could go rescue his sorry rear end.

I almost got to check off another thing on the bucket list; tow a Cessna behind my pickup, because my instructors was missing. We were just mounting the hitch on it when we realized it was on the corner of the apron helping some guys get their plane going so I went and grabbed a bite while he got the thing going again. Came back and my instructor looked at me and said 'We've got time wanna go back up?' I should have said no, class was 40 mins away and after two touch and gos it was time to put down anyway. Landed, pulled back on to the apron and he says alright I've got the controls, spins us around and says 'alright you're going to solo, go do one circuit and come back here.'

Everyone else in my ground school class is standing there watching so the entire time I'm on the ground I'm wondering how poo poo my first landing is going to be in front of all these people. Also it's loving hot in a Cherokee when you don't have someone in the right seat holding the door open during taxi.

The circuit was actually not terrible; not too high but base and final was a typical goon hosed up trapezoid pattern because that thing just didn't want to sink like normal and after taxi back to the apron I discovered that in Canada they don't gently caress up your shirt, in fact, they give you another one.

Turns out the entire class was standing around because our ground school instructor forgot to text all of us to say it's cancelled, so they basically got to drive out to watch me fly airplanes.

Seeing as class was cancelled I jumped back in and put another 1.1 on the Hobbs doing touch and gos that ranged from somewhat horrible to pretty OK. In my defense it was my first hour solo and it was bumpy and gusty as gently caress.

In the end, I solo'd with 11.8 hours in the logbook, if you don't count the two 40 min discovery flights I took several years ago and one hour of cross country I did last year for kicks.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
-Didn't solo today.
-Van time was 30 minutes before the free USA todays got delivered.
-Slammed it on in ORD because I'm a terrible pilot and didn't solo until 45 hours
-Got mad because I got extended into a barley legal duty day
-Captain slammed it on at the outstation because he's a captain
-Passed the 3,000 hour time in type mark
-Got trumped by the captain passing the 7,000 hour time in type mark

EvilJoven posted:

The circuit was actually not terrible; not too high but base and final was a typical goon hosed up trapezoid pattern because that thing just didn't want to sink like normal
Congrats but I don't think hosed up patterns are a goon thing. They're more of an every student pilot ever thing.

The Slaughter posted:

plus a very cautious CFI. In retrospect, he was overly cautious
I don't know if you were ever a CFI but signing off students for their first solo is possibly the single most nerve wracking thing you can do in aviation.

• Locked thread