Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just realized what would happen if who ever is manning the stream suddenly gets a phone call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I hope someone makes a cspan caller highlight reel from this incident. I missed everything :saddowns:

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Gyges posted:

There is no actual downside to this.

The Republicans could vote for it and the courts could decide to uphold it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If the Republicans were the ones staging a sit-in, Louie would definitely bring his grill* down from his office and fire it up.

* He picked his office specifically because it has a small ledge outside the window where he can grill.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

pacmania90 posted:

That's literally not going to happen.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

pacmania90 posted:

Then they would get squashed by the NRA

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

pacmania90 posted:

Travel by airplane is not a constitutionally protected right.

All constitutional rights are subject to limitations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Whether or not you agree with the bill or not [I don't], the fact of the matter is that Paul Ryan is dumb baby bitch and him losing control is hilarious.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pacmania90 posted:

Travel by airplane is not a constitutionally protected right.

Though tying an enumerated right to a non protected right means that it anything you do has to meet constitutional muster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is the top story on every news site, is why.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

This is the top story on every news site, is why.

And the story is playing out on Dem terms, just as a reminder.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Then they would get squashed by the NRA

The same NRA that supported gun control measures when the Black Panthers tried to arm themselves?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

pacmania90 posted:

The same NRA that supported gun control measures when the Black Panthers tried to arm themselves?

The would get primaried in a heart beat.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
You can tell the Dems are winning the narrative when foxnews.com and Drudge studiously ignore what is happening.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Letting this whole show continue, when they could just hold a vote.

Nah, they wouldn't ever reward this by giving in. I'm surprised that the Republicans haven't all just left though. Not sure the point of forcing a confrontation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait what is she talking about because she lost me at backpacks.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pacmania90 posted:

No one cares about that and I mean that seriously, their membership does not give a poo poo about what the did almost 50 - 60 years ago.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We need to regulate the backpacks

Hahaha is someone feeding her lines?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mooseontheloose posted:

No one cares about that and I mean that seriously, their membership does not give a poo poo about what the did almost 50 - 60 years ago.

Yeah, because its mostly Tea Partiers now. Who would do the exact same thing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's literally not going to happen.

Seeing as how the courts upheld the no-fly list are you willing to put a toxx bet on that?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Xandu posted:

Nah, they wouldn't ever reward this by giving in. I'm surprised that the Republicans haven't all just left though. Not sure the point of forcing a confrontation.

They could have ended it hours ago without it being a giant cluster gently caress.

Also they have to go through some process stuff before they can actually continue working on anything, lol.

Reminder for anyone who says Pelosi cut the mics and turned off the lights on 2008 -- that was because Republicans tried it after all other business was over

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Democrats have been speaking about how much guns suck for 12 hours on cable news, which is real good.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Seeing as how the courts upheld the no-fly list are you willing to put a toxx bet on that?

Oh, I am not saying the court wouldn't uphold it (though the intersection of rights would put the Roberts wing of the court in a bind) -- I am saying that the House republicans aren't going to go along with either of four bills in question.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really doubt this is some 12 dimensional chess play to do away with the no fly list dude.

Far more likely that they are just trying to weaken due process like the trend has been ever since 9/11.

Some people are playing chess, some people are playing checkers, and some people are playing with the checker pieces like they're pogs while sniffing glue. No one is playing some multi-dimensional chess, though I think it's possible that John Lewis is playing battle chess. It just so happens that the next move for all of those groups is the same.

pacmania90 posted:

While I ride my unicorn, I'll take solace in the fact that for once the courts upheld gun restrictions and that future gun restrictions are probably going to be upheld.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
She has completely lost me.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Seriously, calling Republicans out for hypocrisy is not (n>3)th-dimensional chess. It's extremely simple PR. They don't have to worry about what would happen if the bill passes because they know it won't, and that's the entire point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Speaking of odds, what do you think the outcome of this is gonna be? Best guess.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

but she's fun when she does!

not if you live in her district and want to host an event without her showing up

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the insane scenario where this bill passes the House, won't it go to the Senate where Democrats can go "okay so here's how we'll add due process to this thing since our distinguished colleagues on the other side of the aisle will definitely be down with that" before it goes to Obama's desk?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Speaking of odds, what do you think the outcome of this is gonna be? Best guess.

Real Outcome?

Ryan eventually caves sometime tomorrow. We hold the vote, the bill fails, Ryan eats weeks of bad press from colleagues (GOP at large) and the NRA.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Ryan caved.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/745816090220105728

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the insane scenario where this bill passes the House, won't it go to the Senate where Democrats can go "okay so here's how we'll add due process to this thing since our distinguished colleagues on the other side of the aisle will definitely be down with that" before it goes to Obama's desk?

Feinstein's verson of the bill is garbo, but yes. The Senate is working on compromise legislation.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This rag is hilarious

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Well what would happen is the Senate would pass their bill they've said they're taking up tomorrow, assuming gun control bills are passing, and then the leadership from each chamber would get together and decide which bill they want to move forward.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The beauty in all this is that on the day Trump tossed his entire Clinton attack on the table, with the goal of dominating the news cycle, the Democrats completely snuffed that out. Pundits were supposed to spend tonight picking over every little detail of his attacks, instead it's going to be old news by the time we get through the sit-in and Brexit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This would not have been my best guess.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Well what would happen is the Senate would pass their bill they've said they're taking up tomorrow, assuming gun control bills are passing, and then the leadership from each chamber would get together and decide which bill they want to move forward.

and then it's passed again as a conference bill

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Well, if the Senate amends it it will go to a conference committee for reconciliation, then the final bill would have to pass both houses again. Then it goes to the President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

zoux posted:

Status quo or very near it.

• Locked thread