Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Well I just booked a flight to Tokyo for the last week of March 2017. First time there, been on the bucket list since the '80s. I'll be there for 8 days.

I'd welcome any input you guys have on best timing to book stuff like Ghibli Museum and Tokyo Disney Sea tickets, and any other "must-see's". I have a super long list of stuff I've wanted to see/do that I'm trying to whittle down AND make sure I just wander around without a rush for a few of the days.

I will also eat everything there, so you guys might want to lay in provisions. :v:

Biggest questions that I have that I'm googling but wouldn't mind input on are: Likelihood of any good hanami or catching a sumo match between March 28 and April 8?

Pretty drat excited.

edit: excited for my page snipe, that is. Ack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Hanami should be at its peak around that time, but no sumo tournaments.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Any museum and Disney will be best on weekdays that aren't public holidays.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Well I just booked a flight to Tokyo for the last week of March 2017. First time there, been on the bucket list since the '80s. I'll be there for 8 days.

I'd welcome any input you guys have on best timing to book stuff like Ghibli Museum and Tokyo Disney Sea tickets, and any other "must-see's". I have a super long list of stuff I've wanted to see/do that I'm trying to whittle down AND make sure I just wander around without a rush for a few of the days.

I will also eat everything there, so you guys might want to lay in provisions. :v:

Biggest questions that I have that I'm googling but wouldn't mind input on are: Likelihood of any good hanami or catching a sumo match between March 28 and April 8?

Pretty drat excited.

edit: excited for my page snipe, that is. Ack.

Disney sea and ghibli are must sees? Lol.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey you should write down your whole itinerary and places you have found and lost it here it's better to work this out in detail since you are pretty determined to go to Japan.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I will take that, at least it's not spending time in Osaka.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Disney Sea is probably the best Disney park in the world, so if you like Disney or theme parks its worth a visit.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi,

My name is Ntan One and i would like to recommend the Tokyo Tower
You may see Mount Fuji from the top of beautiful tower.
You can enjoy very good view of Tokyo.

I would also like to suggest that you visit the city of Kyoto.
Kyoto has many traditional wonders and the history of Japan.
May I recommend that you go to the Kiyomizudera?

Thank you for listening!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

Hi,

Thank you for listening!

I too am thinking that if one can has these experiences than one can have the great happiness to come to Japan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How about travel in the Narra City? Do you know the favorite food UDON? (*´∀`)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

Hi,

Thank you for listening!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

DiscoJ posted:

Hanami should be at its peak around that time, but no sumo tournaments.

Got it, thanks!

Aredna posted:

Any museum and Disney will be best on weekdays that aren't public holidays.
Fair enough. Thanks!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

:what:

caberham posted:

Hey you should write down your whole itinerary and places you have found and lost it here it's better to work this out in detail since you are pretty determined to go to Japan.

Why wouldn't I be determined?

Once the list is edited down, I'll see about dropping it here.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Shima onsen area?
Kashiwaya Ryokan is a tempting tattoo friendly onsen (http://www.kashiwaya.org/e/) and I'm thinking about spending a night or two out there.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

JacksLibido posted:

My last trip to Japan was 10 days Fukuoka, 4 days Osaka w/day trips to Kobe and Himeji (was going to go to Nara but it was rainy), 3 days in Kyoto and ~4 days in Tokyo. In my humble not an expert on Japan at all opinion I'd recommend you combine Osaka/Kobe/Nara into one session. I'd stay in Osaka (or wherever is cheap) and then do day trips to Kobe and Nara (and I'd highly recommend Himeji-jo castle). Kobe was awesome for the beef and some of the old European houses but I didn't see anything that would make me want to spend a whole day there. I didn't make it out to Nara, but from what I saw online I don't think there's enough to keep you busy for a whole day. Hell after having a nice lunch in Kobe I was going to press on to Nara to round out the afternoon and it'd probably have been fine.

As for food... whenever I wasn't with a Goon or some rando foreigner I made friends with I'd just find something to eat around one of the sights I was seeing. For dinner I'd either have a specific dish I wanted to get so I'd ask the hotel where a good place was, or I'd ask the hotel where a bunch of bars/restaurants were and would wander into whatever looked good. Most places either have pictures of their main dishes or have plastic mock-ups, you can just point to what you want and they'll get it for you. I can't say I ever went to a place that had BAD food, most was amazingly good, a few were just plain good, and one or two were only alright. I used google a couple of times to look for specific types of restaurants (fish, ramen, etc) but the danger with that is 1. if the reviews are in English you don't know if the people writing it even know what authentic Japanese food tastes like and 2. If it's in Japanese you don't know wtf it says apart from how many stars it has, and at that point why not just go walk into random places? I went to some place I found on google in Kyoto that had amazing reviews in English and it was this weird okonomiyaki (sp?) place with life size real doll looking things sitting at the table with you and weird manga poo poo on the walls. The only people in there were foreigners and there were a fuckton of them in there. The food sucked, it was weird sitting in a place with NO Japanese eating at it and everything was kinda creepy.

Cool, good to know. It is actually great that I never, ever plan what to do on my trips in the US, because I haven't booked a place to stay yet! It's probably better that I haven't dedicated the bulk to the trip to some of these places...

Air BNB seems almost unreasonably cheap, even in Tokyo?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They're technically illegal (much like in the US).

Anyways, read the listing carefully. One of my AirBNBs offered shampoo but there was no shower or bathtub. :toot:

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

.Z. posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Shima onsen area?
Kashiwaya Ryokan is a tempting tattoo friendly onsen (http://www.kashiwaya.org/e/) and I'm thinking about spending a night or two out there.

I stayed there for two nights last January. You get a huge room (9 tatami in my case), huge meals, and a mountain to walk up and down during the day. The town is honestly pretty dead but the view from the lake at the top of the mountain is pretty solid. I'll upload a few pics when I get home if i remember.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

New New Fresh posted:

I stayed there for two nights last January. You get a huge room (9 tatami in my case), huge meals, and a mountain to walk up and down during the day. The town is honestly pretty dead but the view from the lake at the top of the mountain is pretty solid. I'll upload a few pics when I get home if i remember.

If you had to do it again would you still stay two nights?

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

.Z. posted:

If you had to do it again would you still stay two nights?

I feel like any ryokan stay should be at least two nights, at least so you have the day to lounge around and enjoy the private outdoor baths. The staff will help you out if you're looking for things to do but I was mostly just in the mood to wander around.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I do my ryokan stays in chains, going from one to another to another. Then again i really really really like onsen.

Depends on how you like to travel.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've always just done one night, most nicer ryokans I've been to tend to be in towns/villages which are either dying or already dead.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If any of y'all would be interested in working for a major automotive company as a one year contract interpreter pm me. Our client is hiring three. The negative is that they are located in a Midwestern college town and it's not direct hire, but the pay is already over industry standard and it's non-exempt so you can make quite a lot. They only require a capable bilingual, no experience necessary.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
All right, leaving for Japan tomorrow. Been looking forward to this trip for a good year now.

The 15th and 16th of July we'll be in Hiroshima. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to do a side trip to Fukuoka on the 15th? I've heard there's a festival or something there. And a goon? :) Our plan was to do two days of Hiroshima but maybe one full day the 16th is enough? Or am I stupid trying to cram Fukuoka in at the last minute? (The trip is only like an hour, or so I've read.)

Also, how good is the night transport in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto? Especially Tokyo, our hotel is in Ikebukuro, so I'm wondering how late I should plan our last train to the hotel if at all.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

Also, how good is the night transport in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto? Especially Tokyo, our hotel is in Ikebukuro, so I'm wondering how late I should plan our last train to the hotel if at all.

All train lines stop running at 1AM, some earlier. You can check HyperDia to see what time your last train leaves (including connections), around midnight is usually a safe bet. Trains start running again around 5AM, if you want to pull an all-nighter.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

From Earth posted:

All train lines stop running at 1AM, some earlier. You can check HyperDia to see what time your last train leaves (including connections), around midnight is usually a safe bet. Trains start running again around 5AM, if you want to pull an all-nighter.

Ah, that was to be expected. Subways and buses, too?

If so we'll just have to get hammered within walking distance of our hotel.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Drinking in public is totally OK so you can also drink on the subway, on the sidewalk, in the park... start drinking at breakfast and blame it on "jetlag."

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I arrived in Narita yesterday and it's my first time here... any suggestions as to which spot of Tokyo I should take a bus to? Does downtown Tokyo have its own name on the map?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Deltasquid posted:

All right, leaving for Japan tomorrow. Been looking forward to this trip for a good year now.

The 15th and 16th of July we'll be in Hiroshima. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to do a side trip to Fukuoka on the 15th? I've heard there's a festival or something there. And a goon? :) Our plan was to do two days of Hiroshima but maybe one full day the 16th is enough? Or am I stupid trying to cram Fukuoka in at the last minute? (The trip is only like an hour, or so I've read.)

I'm going to be in Hiroshima 15-17 too, going to meet my friend who lives there. PM me if you want to join us, though I'll be getting late on the 15th. Going to itsukushima for sure but no plans otherwise.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

IdealFlaws posted:

I arrived in Narita yesterday and it's my first time here... any suggestions as to which spot of Tokyo I should take a bus to? Does downtown Tokyo have its own name on the map?

So after spending the night at the airport, unable to figure out how to get to Tokyo, you've finally broken down and posted this question on the somethingawful dot com forums. Are you still there now?

To answer your question though. Downtown Tokyo is kind of huge. For starters try taking a bus to Shinjuku then ask someone how to get to 2-chome. That should put you smack dab in the middle of the "action"

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 25, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lmao I hope that's a repost, baka gaijin.

Edit: If you're serious roflomg and don't you even have a hotel?

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 26, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Take the bus to Roppongi, drink a lot, wear a headband

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I stayed at a hotel in Narita. And I've just arrived to Tokyo via Narita express. I'm going to follow your advice and take a bus to the smack dab middle of "the action"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just ride the Yamanote line around a few loops

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

IdealFlaws posted:

I stayed at a hotel in Narita. And I've just arrived to Tokyo via Narita express. I'm going to follow your advice and take a bus to the smack dab middle of "the action"

If you want the real action in Japan, just go to the Kabukicho district of Shinjuku and ask around for what is called a Soapland. You'll have a great time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yasukuni Jinja hosts a Naked Run at 6am every time it rains (shoes are ok.)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

So after spending the night at the airport, unable to figure out how to get to Tokyo, you've finally broken down and posted this question on the somethingawful dot com forums. Are you still there now?

To answer your question though. Downtown Tokyo is kind of huge. For starters try taking a bus to Shinjuku then ask someone how to get to 2-chome. That should put you smack dab in the middle of the "action"

Holy smokes

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

peanut posted:

Yasukuni Jinja hosts a Naked Run at 6am every time it rains (shoes are ok.)

I am going to try this out.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I am planning a trip to Japan and wanna hit up Osaka and Kyoto and maybe Hiroshima this time. I've heard Osaka is the way cooler of the two if you like food, but a lot of people seem to say Kyoto is worth spending more time in. Would like 4-5 days be too much/not enough for those two? Should I add a day or two to my itinerary and hit up Hiroshima???? For reference, I mainly like to eat food and walk around cities without any clear intent. I'm a jaded, multi-year Asia-liver so rando temples/etc aren't super interesting to me, but nature-y things are p cool.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I just came back from Hiroshima and I think it'd be worth it since you can go to Miyajima and climb the trails there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The "grittiness" of Osaka will be underwhelming compared to China and Korea.

How about riding a bike across Shimanami Kaido?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Magna Kaser posted:

I am planning a trip to Japan and wanna hit up Osaka and Kyoto and maybe Hiroshima this time. I've heard Osaka is the way cooler of the two if you like food, but a lot of people seem to say Kyoto is worth spending more time in. Would like 4-5 days be too much/not enough for those two? Should I add a day or two to my itinerary and hit up Hiroshima???? For reference, I mainly like to eat food and walk around cities without any clear intent. I'm a jaded, multi-year Asia-liver so rando temples/etc aren't super interesting to me, but nature-y things are p cool.

Osaka is just a regular city without many attractions and Kyoto is basically temple central. If you want to basically just "be a tourist" then you can spend a couple days in Kyoto and basically get through all the major attractions. That will free up some time to visit Hiroshima/Miyajima and also maybe you can look into Nara.