Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Really wanna play that demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
ImpAtom is at E3, and if you think he won't be playing the poo poo outta Blodstained, well...

EDIT: lmaooooo, already forgot that he already did play it. I would go back for seconds IMO.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

You know, I have to say that Iga is a really charming guy. The whole macaroni thing made me smile... and feel hungry.

Same.

E: I loved it.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 16, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Man I want to be playing the demo already

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bloodstained update! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1609242

Here's the FAQ on the demo:

quote:

Do I get it? We're sending the demo to anyone who pledged at a $60 tier or higher on any platform and filled out their Fangamer survey by June 13. (But the demo itself is only playable on Windows.) You'll be receiving your key at the e-mail you used to back the Kickstarter.

Have you sent it yet? We'll begin distributing demo keys shortly after we post this update, and we expect most of them to go out pretty soon after. But if you haven't received your key by June 27, send an e-mail to orders@fangamer.com. (If you're eligible to receive the demo, and you filled out your survey, you'll also find it on the backer management page you can reach from your survey link.)

Is this the beta? No! This is the demo build IGA and the team premiered at the Xbox booth during E3. The beta will be coming later in the process, and will be available to anyone who backed at one of the beta-eligible tiers we described during the campaign.

How can I give feedback? The dev team is always grateful for feedback, but read IGA's message before you submit it, since he offers some information about where the dev team is already planning to make improvements. After that, hop into the demo feedback thread on the Official Bloodstained forums! (We also have a Google Form for certain very important feedback.)

System requirements:

quote:

CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or AMD Phenom II X6
Memory: 8 GB RAM
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7790 or Nvidia GeForce GTX650TI (DirectX 11 required)
Storage: 5GB available space
If you're using Windows 7, we strongly suggest using Aero mode in order to play in windowed mode. (If you don't use Aero Mode, it will lag and slow the process speed.) The demo only works with XInput-compatible controllers.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I have a Mac so if the key is transferable I'll just pass it along to someone else in the thread and live vicariously through them. :smith:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wait, 5GB??

Edit: I see they're continuing their style of gamifying the campaign itself; they're challenging people to try to beat romscout's time on the demo, with a free artbook for the best time.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 23, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I got my demo key.

The game download seems to only be 730mb.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Trip report: Yep, it's an Iga Metroidvania.

It feels nice. I am excited.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It feels like coming home after being away for too long. :allears:

I can't wait til we get the actual beta now.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

My incredibly important opinions on this IGAvania:
  • Looks quite pretty.
  • Equipment changes your appearance :3:
  • The attack animations aren't snappy enough. Too even and smooth?
  • Sometimes it's hard to tell what's a platform and what's background elements.
  • Chaining backdashes feels great.
  • Jumps are a little floaty, which is odd, because it's very similar to the SOTN jump.
  • The control tooltip pausing the gameplay was annoying.
  • I love the kicking weapon.

Overall, I enjoyed the 5 or so minutes that the demo gave me and I want more.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Part of me wants to play, and the other part wants to hold off so I can just play it when the actual game comes out and have it be an awesome surprise. That will still be a year away, so whatever. I might check it out sometime here.

I'm sure it's awesome.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I guess the shard system is kinda like the souls system?

I shouldn't be surprised we're seeing psuedo-souls again, I know Iga loving loved them.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Guess who doesn't have a controller

I look forward to playing it in a few weeks when I can scrounge a controller off someone else.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Just got done with the demo and it really is fantastic. It is crazy that it has been 8 years since a new 2D Castlevania game but this scratched that itch. Shame that it is so short, I found everything I could and it only took 15 minutes.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

God, that looks great- I sincerely hope the movement stays that slow and deliberate.

those're like, the last words I'd use to describe Metroidvania.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Everything felt slightly too slow in the demo until I realized that jumping and landing canceled almost everything. All of a sudden it felt incredibly good when you were jumping out of backdashes to turn quickly and doing a short hop into landing to cancel the big spike thing and all your attacks. It's a good-feeling Castlevania.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

I guess the shard system is kinda like the souls system?

I shouldn't be surprised we're seeing psuedo-souls again, I know Iga loving loved them.

If the demo is anything to go by, the shard drops are scripted. But it might just be like the opening sections of the Sorrow games, so who knows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

andipossess posted:

If the demo is anything to go by, the shard drops are scripted. But it might just be like the opening sections of the Sorrow games, so who knows.

That's more than likely for demo purposes. I fully expect the full game to force you to grind with drop rates of less than 1% for some shards.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It was really fun but I accidentally went and quit to the menu when I was going for a potion during the boss fight. :argh:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ok, so let's talk about secrets/drops/etc.

In the end, I finished with:

Long Sword, Kung Fu Shoes, Headband, the starting chestpiece, a Leather thing (breastplate?), a Ring, the fireball shard, 4 potions, 3 high potions, 3 ethers, 3 high ethers.
I think I saw someone at E3 getting a water or ice shard? Is there a divekick in the demo? I don't know if I hit everything.

I also like that you can level up in the demo. I wonder if anyone is crazy enough to grind out one shotting everything

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Nahxela posted:

Ok, so let's talk about secrets/drops/etc.

In the end, I finished with:

Long Sword, Kung Fu Shoes, Headband, the starting chestpiece, a Leather thing (breastplate?), a Ring, the fireball shard, 4 potions, 3 high potions, 3 ethers, 3 high ethers.
I think I saw someone at E3 getting a water or ice shard? Is there a divekick in the demo? I don't know if I hit everything.

I also like that you can level up in the demo. I wonder if anyone is crazy enough to grind out one shotting everything

Yeah there's a water fireball basically. It seems like the same exact thing as the fire but not aimable.

However some enemies have elemental weaknesses. Like the flaming skulls take full damage from the water instead of the 1/3rd or whatever they usually do. I didn't find anything else other than that.

Nope

https://bloodstained.forums.net/post/30592

:suicide:

randombattle fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 23, 2016

Woptendo
Mar 23, 2006

Welp, I'm hyped. I had a blast with the demo. Game looks a lot better than I expected it to. My only criticism so far is that the control stick sensitivity feels way too high; ducking/running seemed to initiate too early.

Can't wait for the full game though :dance:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8V4x9cAeI demo video, 720p 60fps

Right now my biggest complaint is the backdash. Being able to infinitely chain them without canceling is just plain wrong. Everything else feels great and I like directional shard mechanic. the enemies are a little ugly but I want to see more.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This game is so drat Castlevania it hurts. Loving it. Demo felt nice and solid but still rough around the edges, like how when you walk up to walls you'll clip through them a bit, or how most of the effects look and feel kinda meh. But even so it feels good to play this game.

Got the dullahan mace weapon from a shard, and the ghosts as a kinda alternate homing fireball, those combined with the longsword, ninja shoes, and fireball make for five attacks so far.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
1% drop rate, holy gently caress

e:Is Amy the boss?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This game is so drat Castlevania it hurts. Loving it. Demo felt nice and solid but still rough around the edges, like how when you walk up to walls you'll clip through them a bit, or how most of the effects look and feel kinda meh. But even so it feels good to play this game.

Got the dullahan mace weapon from a shard, and the ghosts as a kinda alternate homing fireball, those combined with the longsword, ninja shoes, and fireball make for five attacks so far.
Time to go back to farming, I guess.

The floating fireballs drop ethers rarely, as an aside.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Amy are the floating ghosts.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Every creature except the gooey mud men have a shard.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Oh, ok.

Is the mace an overhead swing weapon? That would make me appreciate back dash cancels more.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Evil Eagle posted:

Right now my biggest complaint is the backdash. Being able to infinitely chain them without canceling is just plain wrong.

Obviously you've never taken a class at Alucard's School of Backdashery. :colbert:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The mace is a red shard.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Evil Eagle posted:

The mace is a red shard.
That's disappointing.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Zaa Boogie posted:

Obviously you've never taken a class at Alucard's School of Backdashery. :colbert:

You had to cancel Alucard's backdash to chain them together in the manner speedrunners do. I think they use a shield normally?

I think it's amusing that IGA laments how people keep using the backdash to get around in SotN, since the walk cycle is so beautiful, but then in Bloodstained they make the backdash really good and chainable.

Anyway, playing the demo was good. Exactly what I needed after finishing Mighty No. 9.
Mighty No. 9 is not so good.

But Bloodstained is good. I hope they bring back the heavy overhanded swing weapons and katanas.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Do they have animation canceling a backswing by doing a tiny hop and doing the attack midair timed so that you'll land during/just before the recovery frames? If so I love this game already

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Do they have animation canceling a backswing by doing a tiny hop and doing the attack midair timed so that you'll land during/just before the recovery frames? If so I love this game already

Pretty sure.
You can also cancel an attack with a backdash and cancel the backdash with an attack, but like Aria of Sorrow I think you can't then cancel that attack with a backdash. Or maybe I was too bad at doing the inputs and you can.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8V4x9cAeI demo video, 720p 60fps

Right now my biggest complaint is the backdash. Being able to infinitely chain them without canceling is just plain wrong. Everything else feels great and I like directional shard mechanic. the enemies are a little ugly but I want to see more.

So did Youtube butcher the video quality here? It looks like a jittery mess to me, but I'm going to assume it's a problem with Youtube rather than the game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So did Youtube butcher the video quality here? It looks like a jittery mess to me, but I'm going to assume it's a problem with Youtube rather than the game.

there are a few hitches in the original video but they stop after a minute or so. not sure what caused it. if the whole video's a mess for you then I dunno

the demo runs at 60fps consistently for me.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Evil Eagle posted:

[Right now my biggest complaint is the backdash. Being able to infinitely chain them without canceling is just plain wrong.

Just mashing backdash in SotN makes you move about as fast as that.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pneub posted:

Just mashing backdash in SotN makes you move about as fast as that.

I think crouching to cancel the backdash lets you move a little quicker in this but I'm not entirely sure yet. you be the judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQDspTIrsM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

SOTN's backdash was still tame compared to the dash you got in Harmony of Dissonance. Why even move normally at all?

And, of course, infinite sliding.