Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

PT6A posted:

My city is considering a bid for the Olympics. If they make it past this first stage, I'm loving moving. No one can possibly be so completely goddamn stupid, right?

Boston kicked the fuckers out, you can too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Blut posted:

Rory McIlroy, probably one of the biggest names in golf, is apparently not going to the Olympics because of Zika:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/36595631

I wonder if this will inspire more athletes to do similar.

Most athletes need to compete at the olympics to afford food. Being rich enough to not show up isn't a thing the majority can do.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Byolante posted:

Most athletes need to compete at the olympics to afford food. Being rich enough to not show up isn't a thing the majority can do.

You greatly overestimate the financial benefits to competitors. Look up any number of articles on olympians who are broke, abandoned, forgotten, or otherwise chewed up and spat out.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lid posted:

You greatly overestimate the financial benefits to competitors. Look up any number of articles on olympians who are broke, abandoned, forgotten, or otherwise chewed up and spat out.

I just suggested that if they don't go to the olympics they starve, I don't think thats suggesting they are in a good place financially.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Byolante posted:

I just suggested that if they don't go to the olympics they starve, I don't think thats suggesting they are in a good place financially.

Most of the athletes don't get paid for their appearance anyway, though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Byolante posted:

Those also tend to be the ones fewer people care about though.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PT6A posted:

Most of the athletes don't get paid for their appearance anyway, though.

Here at least to get the government elite athlete stipend you have to be attending world champs and olympics. Maybe its different where you are?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Byolante posted:

Here at least to get the government elite athlete stipend you have to be attending world champs and olympics. Maybe its different where you are?

I don't know exactly how the funding works, but I can tell you if a corporate sponsor withdrew their funding for an athlete because they made a health-based decision not to compete at the Rio olympics, I'd tell them to take a flying gently caress at a rolling donut.

In fact, if I were one of the major sponsors, I'd put out a press release saying that the funding of athletes is not contingent on their participation in the Olympics if they choose not to compete because of the many, many issues surrounding Rio. You'd get mad media coverage anyway (at least as much as sponsoring an athlete in some obscure sport no one watches), and a lot of the athletes would go anyway because, unlike Rory McIlroy, a pentathlete (for example) doesn't really have another place to compete at the highest level of their sport.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
WADA just suspended the credentials of its Rio lab, all tests will have to be done in other countries probably.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
So now theres no cops.

---

Just weeks ahead of the Olympic Games, police helicopters are grounded, patrol cars are parked and Rio de Janeiro’s security forces are so pressed for funds that some have to beg for donations of pens, cleaning supplies and even toilet paper, fueling worries about safety at the world’s premier sporting event.

Brazil is suffering the worst recession in decades and Rio’s acting governor declared a state of financial disaster this month, largely to bolster spending on security as the world’s spotlight turns to the city.

“How are people going to feel protected in a city without security,” Gov Francisco Dornelles told Rio’s O Globo newspaper. “We can have a great Olympics, but if some steps aren’t taken, it can be a big failure.”

Rio state has slashed budgets across the board, including that of the police. Helicopters have been grounded and more than half of the civil police’s fleet of cars has been idled in a bid to save on gas. Even officers’ salaries have been delayed.

Angry civil police officers staged a strike on Monday, with one contingent greeting visitors at Rio’s international airport with a sign reading, in English: “Welcome to Hell. Police and firefighters don’t get paid; Whoever comes to Rio de Janeiro will not be safe.”

---

loving lol

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

hrrrm, yes
this seems fine and good

so, I think this was discussed earlier in the thread, but at what point do you consider pulling out of, or canceling, the olympics? I know there's a lot riding on athletes being able to attend and compete but when does it stop being worth it?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

AriadneThread posted:

hrrrm, yes
this seems fine and good

so, I think this was discussed earlier in the thread, but at what point do you consider pulling out of, or canceling, the olympics? I know there's a lot riding on athletes being able to attend and compete but when does it stop being worth it?

Major asteroid strike cratering half the country?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

AriadneThread posted:

hrrrm, yes
this seems fine and good

There is too much money involved to ever cancel the Olympics

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

go3 posted:

There is too much money involved to ever cancel the Olympics

Pretty much, best case scenario is they'll move it to somewhere which isn't having a financial crisis and has the infrastructure available.

Coincidentally London was suggested frequently as an alternative from their excellent 2010 Olympic infrastructure still being available except something seems to have happened in England recently and that's no longer an option. :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

blowfish posted:

Major asteroid strike cratering half the country?

Yeah but then we'll have space bugs to worry about.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AriadneThread posted:

when does it stop being worth it?

When a World War breaks out. Or, based on the WC '84 experience, the host country admitting that it is a bankrupt poo poo-hole in the middle of a civil war and voluntarily giving up.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lid posted:

Coincidentally London was suggested frequently as an alternative from their excellent 2010 Olympic infrastructure still being available except something seems to have happened in England recently and that's no longer an option. :shrug:

This would be a good thing, because some of the tourists would spread out into rural shitholes and cause racist heads to explode.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Parts of a mutilated body have washed up on the sands of Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro just meters from where beach volleyball athletes will compete in the upcoming Olympics.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Startling footage shows groups of men – from young boys to older adults – fearlessly approaching tourists walking in the area before demanding passers-by hand over their valuables.

In some cases, tourists are even viciously attacked as the feral youths attempt to steal anything they can from their victims.

Some viewers have called for compassion, claiming the story behind the violence is much more complex than appearances suggest.

Reddit user Vibrate said: “The reason for the crime level is large favelas full of poor, with no education or welfare, and a massively under-funded police force.

“Many of these kids die - either shot by members of the public, rival gangs or by the police, or they get disappeared by special gang task forces.

“Plus notice how most of them have bottles that they put under their noses occasionally? They are sniffing shoe glue or gasoline and are addicted to cheap, dangerous highs.”

Rio's Olympics have been plagued with numerous problems: the Zika virus, deep budgets cuts, severe water pollution, slow ticket sales and rising fears around security.

On top of that, the country’s current president, Dilma Rousseff, faces an impeachment trial to remove her from office amid accusations of government corruption.

The opening ceremony begins in 37 days.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Would it be too out there for the Olympic Committee to be begging corporate sponsors to fit any bills?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXJxLFj0cI

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Meanwhile in Russia

quote:

Russian track and field athletes will file collective and possibly individual lawsuits with Lausanne arbitration court to challenge the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) decision banning them from the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Class action against the IAAF decision will be filed with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) next week, the All-Russia Athletics Federation (ARAF) Secretary General Mikhail Butov told TASS on Thursday.

Lucy_Cominato
Oct 23, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W_zM7koJy8

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Looking at this entire debacle makes me think that the most unrealistic aspect of Dying Light was not the zombies or goofy weapons but rather the thought that if a zombie apocalypse were to occur in a town scheduled to host the Olympics, that it would lead to said Olympics being CANCELLED.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

GlyphGryph posted:

Boston kicked the fuckers out, you can too!

Yeah. I was the only person I knew who wanted it.

Prestigious global event and forced infrastructure spending. But what do I know. It would make parking more inconvenient or something (in a city that's impossible to drive in already).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

asdf32 posted:

Prestigious global event and forced infrastructure spending. But what do I know. It would make parking more inconvenient or something (in a city that's impossible to drive in already).

Because cities always lose money to the Olympics? And the benefits (yes even infrastructure) are consistently overstated?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

asdf32 posted:

Not much apparently.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Because cities always lose money to the Olympics? And the benefits (yes even infrastructure) are consistently overstated?

Define "lose money".

If we spent more on infatructure than olympics revenue that's not losing money.

We're talking about a city in a country that chronically under spends on public works.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

asdf32 posted:

Define "lose money".

We're talking about a city in a country that chronically under spends on public works.
Olympics infrastructure is sports stadiums and archery ranges and oversized swimming pools, not roads and bridges and sewers. And they usually cost much more than normal stadiums and pools, because they have to make them huge and special and memorable. They are then usually promptly abandoned or torn down after the games.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

asdf32 posted:

Define "lose money".

The Olympics in the last few decades have consistently been about funneling public money to corporations and contractors. Now with Sochi and Rio we add third-world corruption to the mix. These events do not help 99% of the population living in Olympic cities.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
America has too many goddamn arenas and stadiums as it is

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But do we have swimming stadiums and handball arenas?

Well, do we? :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know the Olympics are run by cartoon corrupt officials and all but seriously is there any odds of this being called off somehow?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Overflight posted:

Looking at this entire debacle makes me think that the most unrealistic aspect of Dying Light was not the zombies or goofy weapons but rather the thought that if a zombie apocalypse were to occur in a town scheduled to host the Olympics, that it would lead to said Olympics being CANCELLED.

Why do you think someone caused a zombie outbreak in the first place? :unsmigghh:

(:thejoke: is that a zombie outbreak is a lesser disaster then hosting the Olympics.)

asdf32
May 15, 2010

rscott posted:

America has too many goddamn arenas and stadiums as it is

Hence hosting in a major city doesn't require building much. Boston has 4 major sports teams and 142 colleges with facilities which were covering most things.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

The Olympics in the last few decades have consistently been about funneling public money to corporations and contractors. Now with Sochi and Rio we add third-world corruption to the mix. These events do not help 99% of the population living in Olympic cities.

Like every public works project.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know the Olympics are run by cartoon corrupt officials and all but seriously is there any odds of this being called off somehow?

Short of a very large war kicking off in South America, the Olympics are not getting canceled.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

asdf32 posted:

Hence hosting in a major city doesn't require building much. Boston has 4 major sports teams and 142 colleges with facilities which were covering most things.

Like every public works project.

No one wants your old and busted stadiums and arenas for this, they want new.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Short of a very large war kicking off in South America, the Olympics are not getting canceled.

Paraguay, you're our only hope.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

According to the CDC, a man who has had Zika transmits the virus in his semen for at least six months. This means that (A) women staying away from the Olympics is only a partial solution and (B) we won't really know the long-term effects of the Olympics on the health of athletes and their families for at least 15 months. I read a story yesterday (sorry, no link) that when doctors did demographic studies, they realized that there were a lot more infected women than men, and determined that the reason had to be sexual transmission rather than unusually picky mosquitoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Are you an olympic athlete?
Do you want to further the cause of science?

• Locked thread