Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

dmboogie posted:

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable opinion to have though?

Artists should change their work to the audience's demands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

double lol, just realized that she changed the line from "ching-chong" to "ching-ling" and blamed the audience for not understanding that this is just playful ribbing in Finland instead of actually apologizing :psyduck:

Lmao this was an edited page? Good loving god.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

oh cool let's bring it all here

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

oh cool let's bring it all here

agreed

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HorseRenoir posted:

double lol, just realized that she changed the line from "ching-chong" to "ching-ling" and blamed the audience for not understanding that this is just playful ribbing in Finland instead of actually apologizing :psyduck:

I saw the current page and was all like "well this seems slightly ropey especially considering the troubled relationship SSSS has had with race in the past" and then I read the comments and read what the page originally said and was all like :yikes:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Empress Theonora posted:

I saw the current page and was all like "well this seems slightly ropey especially considering the troubled relationship SSSS has had with race in the past" and then I read the comments and read what the page originally said and was all like :yikes:

what ropey stuff has she done before?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Artists should change their work to the audience's demands

Artists shouldn't say racist poo poo, even if it's unintentionally racist

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Hogge Wild posted:

what ropey stuff has she done before?

she killed everyone that wasn't the white nordic master race

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
eh, nevermind

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I have no problem with the edit, actually. And the way they responded to the criticism was pretty much perfect- no apology would ever be good enough to avoid a dogpile. Showing remorse and weakness will stop nothing, even if it is sincere.

People on the internet will never, ever pass up a chance to whip themselves up into a self righteous dervish.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 23, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shut up, seriously. She's done this so many times she should just take the advice of her comic's title.

Or maybe I'm just being an oversensitive chinese baby again but seriously gently caress this poo poo.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a chinese baby. i am six months old. my adult feathers are just beginning to grow on my coccyx. my skin is thick and supple like a sea lion's and i was born the night before christmas when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Avshalom posted:

i'm a chinese baby. i am six months old. my adult feathers are just beginning to grow on my coccyx. my skin is thick and supple like a sea lion's and i was born the night before christmas when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse

:wmwink:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
j/k i'm a malevolent spirit that follows euros around and when they claim not to be racist i slink up behind them and whisper in their ear "opre rrrrrrroma"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Avshalom posted:

j/k i'm a malevolent spirit that follows euros around and when they claim not to be racist i slink up behind them and whisper in their ear "opre rrrrrrroma"

:corrupt:
:wmwink:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ok actually i'm this

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Chair In A Basket posted:

she killed everyone that wasn't the white nordic master race

Or, to put it a bit more charitably, it's a setting where a plague has apparently wiped out everywhere in the world besides Scandinavia, and as far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong, I fell behind on SSSS a while ago) we haven't seen any evidence that a single person (not even a background character!) who's not white alive by Year 90. And except for Iceland (which was thoroughly quarantined) a good portion of the survivors seem to have been spared by genetic immunity, rather than just being a cross-section of the descendants of pre-Illness Scandinavia (Where are the descendants of the huge immigrant populations that would have been around? Or the Sami? Or... anybody besides ethnics Swedes, Finns, Danes, Norwegians, and Icelanders?). So I mean I really genuinely don't think that the artist of SSSS sat down to make some kind of racist comic, but I do kind of raise my eyebrow a bit at the fact that the comic at least implicitly seems to take place after an apocalypse that killed everyone who's not white.

And again, if we've met any new characters since I stopped reading regularly (I fell behind and lost my place :v: ) that contradicts this, please let me know. That's just what the state of things was the last time SSSS crossed my awareness.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Avshalom posted:

ok actually i'm this

not like any of those are mutually exclusive

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
also the plague spread because of illegal immigration iirc

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Avshalom posted:

Oh yeah, that's right too-- the first known cases were some refugees in Spain or somewhere.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
are jews mentioned in double ss?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

turns out Sharia law makes you into a Thing monster

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Avshalom posted:

The comic is about reclaiming territory from the dark hordes of the Other

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
we've cracked the code. but at what cost?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Avshalom posted:

we've cracked the code. but at what cost?

17 dollars

Edit: and a pack of gum

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 23, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Just Offscreen posted:

I have no problem with the edit, actually. And the way they responded to the criticism was pretty much perfect- no apology would ever be good enough to avoid a dogpile. Showing remorse and weakness will stop nothing, even if it is sincere.

People on the internet will never, ever pass up a chance to whip themselves up into a self righteous dervish.

Dang you're right, giving a weak rear end non-apology is justified by idiots existing good call.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dang you're right, giving a weak rear end non-apology is justified by idiots existing good call.

Minna Sundberg is a criminal and must show repentance.

This thread is actually more judgemental than the bad thread.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Minna Sundberg is a criminal and must show repentance.

This thread is actually more judgemental than the bad thread.

Not a criminal no. But she basically has confirmed that she either does not fundamentally understand why people object or doesn't want to.

Coupled with the other uh, quirks, in her comic it's a little concerning.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i can't even see that page or like, anything past 533 :confused:

i'm not super surprised though by this latest thing

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
her biggest crime is the racial erasure she does when she draws finns as white

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm very finn and very white

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hahaha holy poo poo, I'm pretty sure that non apology actually kind of makes it worse.

"lol not my fault people are hurt by words' says middle class white person

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Didn't we already talk about erasing our race

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 23, 2016

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Or if she'd said, like, "Yes, this character is explicitly a sort of deliberately ignorant rear end in a top hat* who's literally never seen a non-white person, yes he's gonna say stupid racist poo poo," it'd probably have come off well, even.

*And he very much is.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i judge everyone. i am a magistrate appointed by the lord and i decide who will or won't reside in the kingdom of the webcomic where the sewage system and the highways are one and the same and the sun is aaron diaz's face benevolently smirking

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

i'm very finn and very white

you should be ashamed

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i unveil my pearly nakedness and my webcomic peeks coquettishly out of my hot rear end

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think the other person saying 'gosh' in italics is supposed to be being admonishing, but it's such a weak response it doesn't really have any impact. 'Are you for loving real' might have done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i unveil my pearly nakedness and my webcomic peeks coquettishly out of my hot rear end

This is the most revolting thing you've ever posted.

• Locked thread