Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Let me introduce you to the Bulls' Interwar Period training staff.

poo poo they might be able to hyperextend all six knees of the incoming players before the season starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I wish I were forward thinking enough to want to sign the best free agent on the market / a top five player in the league. Maybe one day I'll be that far ahead of the game.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Reminder that Lacob wanted to trade Klay Thompson for Kevin Love.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/klay-thompsons-father-says-jerry-west-kerr-prevented-love-trade/

quote:

Diamond Leung of the Bay Area News Group transcribed a radio interview with Klay Thompson's father, who said that owner Joe Lacob and GM Bob Myer wanted to trade Thompson for then-Minnesota-Timberwolves forward Kevin Love, but front office advisor Jerry West and coach Steve Kerr "took (Thompson) off the table."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Since 1993-94 here are the single-season college NP leaders:

code:
NP	Player 		 Class 	Season 
236	Buddy Hield 	 SR 	2015-16 
220.96	Doug McDermott 	 JR 	2012-13 
216.52	Doug McDermott 	 SO 	2011-12 
216.36	Doug McDermott 	 SR 	2013-14 
215.36	Derrick Williams SO 	2010-11 
211.44	Jaycee Carroll 	 SR 	2007-08 
208.56	Stephen Curry 	 SO 	2007-08 
208.36	J.J. Redick 	 SR 	2005-06 
192.44	Blake Griffin 	 SO 	2008-09 
189.16	Ike Diogu 	 JR 	2004-05 
188.16	Carlos Boozer 	 JR 	2001-02 
187.36	Danny Fortson 	 JR 	1996-97 
186.04	Salim Stoudamire SR 	2004-05 
185.76	Shan Foster 	 SR 	2007-08 
185.2	Jaycee Carroll 	 JR 	2006-07 
184.72	Michael Bradley  JR 	2000-01 
183.04	Jodie Meeks 	 JR 	2008-09 
181.12	Tyler Hansbrough JR 	2007-08 
181	Chris Kaman 	 JR 	2002-03 
180.44	Reggie Hamilton  SR 	2011-12 
If the Bulls could get Buddy Hield somehow. Well, that guy seems primed to hit 500+ 3s in a few years. Teamed up with McDermott it could be Klay/Curry 2.0

Faxing this to Jerry Reinsdorf right now.

Niwrad posted:

Gar Forman told me this was a championship roster that just needed a new coach.

Yea, well that's another issue. Gar Forman is a cockroach hiding under a refrigerator.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

A big upshot is the potential for really funny Derrick Rose stories and interviews thanks to the New York media. He's gonna say something silly in record time

Yea, if he says some of his crazy things in NYC it'll be an even bigger signal boost compared to Chicago.

Niwrad posted:

It sounds like Taj will be traded. Toronto would make a ton of sense for him but 9 is too high a pick for him. Wonder if maybe a Taj + 14th pick for the 9th would work.

I see the Bulls are officially committing to turning Fred Hoiberg into Tim Floyd 2.0 Tank mode has definitely been engaged.

The bad news is that the Bulls franchise value keeps going up so Supreme Allied Commander Reinsdorf and all his henchmen don't have to change their behavior one iota.

Ostentatious posted:

Considering how many Spurs games I'm set to go to next season I don't know if I should remain a Warriors fan or just become a Spurs one. Thoughts from anyone else thst has moved before?

Become a fan of whichever team has the highest regular season SRS.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

EvanTH posted:

Imminently Reasonable. I accept your reasoning and retract my statement.

This is a good post. I feel like folks might be severely underestimated how much GSW's success owed to their super-duper deep bench, and it'd be a huge mistake to get rid of that for a chance at KD. I mean, actual KD sure but don't go scrapping a 73 win team because you've received verbal promises over the new CyberDust app

I dunno, the bench was really good but I kinda think the "depth" is severely overrated. They've just got one awesome player (Iggy) and one really good one (Sdot). Ezeli looked decent before his most recent knee surgery but was pretty bad after. Speights was low-key awful this year except for the one game a month where he hit jumpers.

The thing that I think hurt in the end was none of the bench players could score. I wonder if they'll try to convince Crabbe to come back to the Bay.

The other thing GSW could do is convince guys to sign one year deals and completely innocently happen to give them large contracts next year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Welcome Strawberry. You can expect the Lakers to lose 60+ basketball games, but put at least try to put a good offensive product on the floor.

Don't take what is written in the papers about the team too seriously. Don't take what other Lakers fans say seriously especially when it comes to roster moves.

Leave at least two hours early plus the theoretical travel time if you decide to go to a game. You should go to a game. Also don't leave the game early you won't actually save much time because L.A Live is busy anyway game or not.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Well, at the torch ceremony today, they had to kill a jaguar

“We made a mistake in permitting the Olympic torch, a symbol of peace and unity, to be exhibited alongside a chained wild animal. This image goes against our beliefs and our values,” the local organizing committee Rio 2016 said in a statement to Reuters. "We guarantee that there will be no more such incidents at Rio 2016.”

so it's probably going to be hell on earth

Rio is so bad that 1-4 Jaguars have wandered up to live in Arizona rather than be near the Olympics.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Zogo posted:

Since 1993-94 here are the single-season college NP leaders:

code:

NP	Player 		 Class 	Season  
189.16	Ike Diogu 	 JR 	2004-05  

No idea who this is but that is a pro tier last name

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The real funny thing is that Lacob has wanted to sign Dwight for years so I imagine he is currently throwing a baby temper tantrum in front of West and Myers since they haven't thrown money at him yet.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

I Remember Ike Diogu

he went to Arizona I'm not going to look this up.

e: gently caress HE WENT TO ARIZONA STATE I KNOW NOTHING OF DIOGU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

He was on the NOLA Hornets for a cup of coffee, I believe. Then there were injury issues or something. I think he also played with Aminu on the Nigerian team in the Olympics.

e: haha, checked wiki and I was right. He never played a game for the Hornets, but was signed with them.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Ike Diogu was one of the high draft picks from the Warriors Dark Age. He wasn't that bad but he did not last long.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

He played 2,000 NBA minutes and made over ten million USD so he's no stranger.

Here are the results of the pre-season poll. Third year doing it and we still haven't had an outright winner. Always a tie.

code:
SA user name:		Sum (30 Maximum):
bizort			18
Cloud the cat		18
spacebump		18
Props Department	18
hitze			17
chunkles		17
xbilkis			17
Cool Buff Man		17
cowandchick		17
Nozz-a-La		17
Rabidbalm		17
EvanTH			17
Zogo			17
attackmole		17
fast luck		17
Libertine		17
Ungratek		16
Tokyo Sex Whale		16
RedApe98		16
Bachtere		16
remember		16
Carlosologist		16
PFT Commenter		16
morestuff		16
The Banned		16
Pungry			16
Paul Zuvella		16
Sandeep			16
JRizzle			16
nagel			16
Rick.			16
EMC			16
Kibner			16
DeimosRising		16
Dejan Bimble		16
JesusSinfulHands	16
Jack's Flow		16
King of the Cosmos	16
Oberst			16
Ordinaire		16
Tehchekt 		16
Disillusionist		15
djlando			15
Vanilla Mint Ice	15
NeuroticErotica		15
Anonymous User #1	15
Artic Puma		15
OzFactor		15
manstrocity		15
danucleus		15
The Glumslinger		15
Lockback		15
straight up brolic	15
mrYanssen		15
Sir_Charles		15
Strawberry Panda	15
Evil_penguin_v2		15
Boredume		15
Salvor_Hardin		15
stevie lee		14
Juaguocio		14
rivetz			14
RCarr			14
alansmithee		14
PantsFreeZone		14
Away All Goats		14
Athanatos		14
net work error		14
Purple Jesus		14
pylb			14
Terry Glenn		14
Veryslightlymad		14
Consist			14
big boi			14
ButtWolf		14
IcePhoenix		14
commy gun		13
Metapod			13
NickRoweFillea		13
Redgrendel		13
Movie Majick		13
evil_cheese		13
fuckplaneoq		13
hitze was the only person to correctly guess all eight playoff teams in either conference. He got the eight in the West correct.

I'll post the questions along with the percentages tomorrow.

Metapod posted:

Hilarious poo poo like okc staying healthy and being able to hit 3s at an average clip?

After two games in the finals I was confident OKC would've dominated CLE but then things went differently.

Too bad we can't see an OKC vs. CLE series in the multiverse.

Libertine posted:

I'm arguing with friends on Facebook who are crushed that D Rose got traded, they all think he's still an all-star caliber player, and they think the Bulls completely hosed up their team.

They've been brainwashed by the Chicago media.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Bulls people: what's a Justin Holiday? Is he just a guy or is there anything to be gained from him? Seems like he has some sort of perimeter game?

Shooter/slasher. No handle. Terrified of making contact. Some D.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Stagger_Lee posted:

I really don't think Teague is an upgrade over Hill for next year, but he is younger, and I don't really have any hope the Pacers will improve this year anyway, so oh well.

Yeah he is. Hill never attacks the basket. All he does is sit on the perimeter and shoot 3s. Pacers need someone who can penetrate and attack. I can see the Pacers being a top 5 team in the East.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
George Hill is a moderate plus on defense. I'm not convinced Teague's slashing makes up for the fact that he sucks on defense.

But he is younger, and they can't just keep pretending Vogel's there, I guess.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

Shooter/slasher. No handle. Terrified of making contact. Some D.

How does one slash with no handles or contact?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I'm pretty sure OKC's size would have given Cleveland huge fits. Steven Adams is big and fast enough that Tristan Thompson wouldn't have his way on the glass. That's a huge part of what makes Cleveland good, imo.

And Westbrook would have actually attacked the rim unlike Curry.
I would have liked to see Love and Kanter defend each other though.

Metapod posted:

You know how Barnes was always left open in the Finals? Imagine if he had taken a couple dribbles towards the paint then panicked a bit once he saw someone coming to contest.
He could probably end up being a good wing defender if he worked at it, he's got long arms and is relatively quick on his feet.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ah Justin Holiday the Luke Babbitt of slashers

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Stagger_Lee posted:

George Hill is a moderate plus on defense. I'm not convinced Teague's slashing makes up for the fact that he sucks on defense.

But he is younger, and they can't just keep pretending Vogel's there, I guess.

George Hill was garbage on defense. He was constantly getting beat by the opposing team's point guard. It was so bad that us SAS Pacer fans would make fun of him at the end of close games in GDTs.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Metapod posted:

Handle refers to the ability to dribble or create in traffic. Slashing is just cutting without the ball or blowing by a long close out.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Really? I've always thought slashing was more driving with the ball using good footwork to get through tight windows. Have I been wrong this whole time?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Holliday also got Shook by Drake, shameful poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v3-jrt-SlE

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
"I want to thank DeAndre Jordan. Because if DeAndre Jordan didn't go back to the Clippers, we wouldn't have RJ on our team," James said, referring to Jefferson. "If it wasn't for that guy, we wouldn't have [Jefferson]. And from Day 1 that we got RJ, I knew I finally had a guy who was playing behind me that I could trust, that I could count on."
https://twitter.com/AlyshaTsuji/status/745726788173602816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Zogo posted:

I see the Bulls are officially committing to turning Fred Hoiberg into Tim Floyd 2.0 Tank mode has definitely been engaged.

The bad news is that the Bulls franchise value keeps going up so Supreme Allied Commander Reinsdorf and all his henchmen don't have to change their behavior one iota.

The crazy thing is they aren't trying to tank (Reinsdorf won't allow it). If they were they'd trade Butler while his value is as high as it'll get. They'd have traded Gasol at the deadline.

They genuinely believe that organizations win championships. That they are the smartest men in the room. Gar talked today about how they need to build their roster around their head coach as if he was the second coming of Red Auerbach.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm still in awe that someone gave their child to JR Smith and JR Smith presented that child to Cleveland like he was Simba.

I miss JR

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Really? I've always thought slashing was more driving with the ball using good footwork to get through tight windows. Have I been wrong this whole time?

Yup. You were making me confused earlier because I had always thought about it similarly to what dokmo just said.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

SeannieDarko posted:

Yeah he is. Hill never attacks the basket. All he does is sit on the perimeter and shoot 3s. Pacers need someone who can penetrate and attack. I can see the Pacers being a top 5 team in the East.

like 20% of Teague's possessions are actual attacking the basket, the rest are screaming at Millsap to set up a pick for him for no reason, followed by 22 seconds of halfhearted iso followed by jacking up a brick from the top of the post.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SeannieDarko posted:

Hill is better than Teague. Defense matters and Teague isn't good enough offensively to be that bad defensively.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

Yup. You were making me confused earlier because I had always thought about it similarly to what dokmo just said.

My whole world has been flipped. What else have I been wrong about? Is the sky really blue? Is a tomato a fruit? Is this butter?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

glowing-fish posted:

Any thoughts on the Portland off-season? After taking a collection of Lillard and previously anonymous players to the second round, does the team A) retool the entire team or B) see if they can do even better next year with a jelled team?

Based on the Blazers culture, which seems to be more about putting together a team that can make the playoffs, rather than putting together a contender, I guess they leave it mostly the same, and the Blazers spend the next few years as the 4-6 seed in the West. making first or second round exits. Eventually, Lillard goes to some powerhouse team to get his ring, while still owning a house in Dunthorpe and a shop selling skateboard gear or something in the Pearl.

A little of both, I think. Best case scenario is you either land Durant (never) or Horford (very doubtful) or Meyers fulfills Olshey's wildest dreams and figures out how basketball works. One of those plus CJ/Lillard and you're looking at a possible contender sooner than later I bet.

I think they try to keep Crabbe and some of their bigs as plan B, but swing for a bigger piece or two as plan A. I don't think they blow it all up just yet.

E: if you're joking about men being the standard human to compare against women and then call women b's for being offended, you probably suck and aren't as funny as you think you are.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Metapod posted:

My whole world has been flipped. What else have I been wrong about? Is the sky really blue? Is a tomato a fruit? Is this butter?

is Andre Roberson good?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spite posted:

The other thing GSW could do is convince guys to sign one year deals and completely innocently happen to give them large contracts next year.

Yes please do something that will cause you to forfeit picks

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
All I remember about Holiday's time on the Warriors is him playing okayish defense and blowing a thousand lob passes / transition dunks. Dude has a really hard time finishing against any form of contact.

On the plus side, he appearantly shot pretty well from deep with the Bulls.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 23, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

is Andre Roberson good?

remember that one game where he went hammy ham and played insane defense and hit a whole mess of threes

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Metapod posted:

The answer is always: a Warriors draft bust.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Just so you guys know, you only get the MLE if you are over the cap when free agency begins.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Henchman of Santa posted:

All sports fanbases like gritty white bench players. He would be a strong addition to our dick punching legacy though. And we'd have double Aussie grit off the bench.

*triple, now that you've also got Bairstow.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Metapod posted:

I too failed this basic basketball vocabulary test, brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tomatoes are also indeed fruits.

• Locked thread