Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Ithle01 posted:

What did the Arverni player do other than Rally during the first year? Usually they're in a much better position to stymie the Aedui than anyone else and shouldn't have much trouble keeping the Aedui tribes repressed. That being said, Romans are definitely rough because literally every other player can undercut your victory score at any time by adding tribes to the map - and they all count their own vp at least in part by the number of tribes they have. This is why allies and dispersal are useful, it blocks the enemy from placement. Also, how much help was the Aedui giving to the Romans? They're supposed to be allies after all.

The Avernia player was mostly rallying, with a small amount of Entreat vs. Suborn slapfighting. I think that if they had used Devastate more aggressively they could have kept things under control, but they felt they had to move some folks up into belgium to sit on the Belgae, which allowed the Aedui to shirk helping the Romans. Probably what the Romans needed to do was to get the Aedui to spend actions supporting them, so they weren't just able to keep building allies.

homullus posted:

This aspect of the Romans is why they can Disperse tribes and Seize in general, I think. Supply lines are nice but if they Seize, they can just pay to do everything if they have to. Caesar probably needs to go north, Disperse a couple Belgic tribes and Subdue ones in the south of the Belgic area (so that the Aedui and Arverni compete for that space with the Belgae) and then turn his attention to the south.

The issue with the supply lines is that without them, Rome can're relocate forces to Provencia over winter, so they have to pay through the nose to avoid losing a bunch of legions. Overall, I think the opening suggested by Volko is absolutely the way to play, so we'll see how it goes next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

CaptainRightful posted:

On that note, La Habana makes me wish the designers thought up the idea of an overflow area sooner.

They had overflows in AA. I don't know why they didn't try to fit one in on this map.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

nomadotto posted:

The Avernia player was mostly rallying, with a small amount of Entreat vs. Suborn slapfighting. I think that if they had used Devastate more aggressively they could have kept things under control, but they felt they had to move some folks up into belgium to sit on the Belgae, which allowed the Aedui to shirk helping the Romans. Probably what the Romans needed to do was to get the Aedui to spend actions supporting them, so they weren't just able to keep building allies.

Devastate is great for cutting off Aedui trade and rally actions as well as Roman marches and recruits. It sounds like the Aedui were mostly playing for themselves without giving resources to the Romans to help them handle the other two players. Winter quarters are a lot cheaper with an allied tribe in the area so it's important to drop one into the Belgae or Treveri area quickly. Subduing tribes in Belgium isn't as preferable as allying or dispersing them (but technically that's true of everywhere).

edit: it sounds strange, but the Romans can also get supply lines through the Ubii region and if you leave a few pieces in the German areas that can let you move back to Provincia for the Winter.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So I got my copy of Washingtons War and I'm going through the rule book.

Maybe I get to try the game out next week or so.

Any tips for my first playthrough? Rules that are easily overlooked or something like that?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
This really should be renamed the COIN collectors club.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

tomdidiot posted:

This really should be renamed the COIN collectors club.

My copy of A Distant Plain arrived today as well :D

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

My copy of falling sky is waiting for me at my office!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My copy of Sekigahara is...still in "made the cut"!!!!

740 people, not too shabby.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

My copy of Sekigahara is...still in "made the cut"!!!!

740 people, not too shabby.

Sekigahara is the P500 that I am most eager for, now that I have Falling Sky.

But now that I have played Falling Sky a few times, I am eyeing Virgin Queen thinking "well, that looks approachable..."

Also, apparently the Ed Beach of Here I Stand and Virgin Queen is also the Ed Beach of Civilization VI (upcoming video game).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

VQ requires 2 more people, several more hours, and a lot more tolerance for halfbaked rules than COIN

Deliciousham
Feb 20, 2013
Hey all I just recently got into tabletop games and mainly my group had been playing axis and allies 1942. Well after a year or so of that we moved onto axis and allies 1914.

So far we have played 3 games but i have to ask, if anyone else plays this, what have your successful Ottoman, Uk and US strategies been.

I feel like Ottomans should be moving into Africa but in the game that i was them i was pressured into supporting the push against Russia, which usually ends with no additional IPCS and Ottoman troops on an already overwhelmingly powerful German AH front.

Similairly when i play allies, i usually just drop two turns of UK IPCS into India to counter the Ottomans but im just not sure if a better strategy would be shuffling UK troops into maybe Russia or jsut more of a focus.

Lastly, none of us have been able to effectively make strides with US, does anyone have thoughts? By turn 4 when they enter, your still atleast another turn away from landing in Europe/Mediterranean proper, and even then the follow up feels... Worthless?

Anyways i am really just looking for some different input since my play group tends to be an echo chamber.

Deliciousham fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 22, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I don't know if I'd call Axis and Allies a real wargame, though it has some of the building blocks of one. Regardless, is the 1914 scenario actually fun? It seems like A&A's kind of mechanics would not lend themselves well to WWI combat.

Edit: sorry if it seems like I was jumping on you for posting in the wrong place or whatever, I'm not the fun police :)

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 22, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Deliciousham posted:

Lastly, none of us have been able to effectively make strides with US, does anyone have thoughts? By turn 4 when they enter, your still atleast another turn away from landing in Europe/Mediterranean proper, and even then the follow up feels... Worthless?

Worthless: Doesn't that pretty much sum up the US involvement in WWI, historically?

Deliciousham
Feb 20, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I don't know if I'd call Axis and Allies a real wargame, though it has some of the building blocks of one. Regardless, is the 1914 scenario actually fun? It seems like A&A's kind of mechanics would not lend themselves well to WWI combat.

Edit: sorry if it seems like I was jumping on you for posting in the wrong place or whatever, I'm not the fun police :)

It probably isn' t a true wargame but i couldnt really find a thread more relatable then this one. That being said, it is main game we have been playing and we are open to suggestions for people newer to the genre, since it has basically been this and Civ 5 games on PC. The caveat to thst being that its more or less a once month all day type ordeal when we play.

Should probably start looking for some games outside my circle of friends since i wouls like to play more/similair games.

As for the mechanics, we for the most part like it better then the ww2 era games with some of the changes they made to rolling attacks/contesting territory. That combined with some of the different unit values makes it just feel fresher after playing 1942 for so long.

Also i would be lying if i could even comment on US involvement in ww1, but they don't seem to make a difference in this game for us.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I feel like in many ways the US's biggest contribution in WWI was as a morale breaker - when you've spent literally years chewing up your army to get gains measured in mere miles (or in some cases yards), having your allies suddenly able to effectively replace all of the attrition you've inflicted upon them thus far is a game-changer, even if that influx of troops is unlikely to produce massive gains for them/losses for you. It underscores the futility of continued fighting, as you know it's only a matter of time until you will start to suffer big losses. More than anything else, that destroys the public's will to support the war effort, which is pretty much the death-knell to any ongoing campaign. It's worth noting that the amount of time between large numbers of US troops getting to Europe and Armistice Day was less than 6 months.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

homullus posted:

But now that I have played Falling Sky a few times, I am eyeing Virgin Queen thinking "well, that looks approachable..."

"Approachable" is the exact opposite of what Virgin Queen is. The game is a mess. And a mess that isn't worth engaging with half the time, because you're just gonna get screwed by the awful dice mechanics.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Picked up D-Day at Tarawa, Phantom Leader Deluxe, and A Victory Complete (a magazine game about the battle of Tannenberg)

They all look hella fun. :cool:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Gutter Owl posted:

"Approachable" is the exact opposite of what Virgin Queen is. The game is a mess. And a mess that isn't worth engaging with half the time, because you're just gonna get screwed by the awful dice mechanics.

VQ definitely is more about its setting and theme than it is about, well, low-luck. Between the dice and the shared deck of very swingy cards, there's a lot of imbalance waiting to be had. The asymmetry and flavor of the sides is what makes this game for me, even moreso than COIN games.

The rules are kind of impossible though. Heck, the designer notes even mentioned something along the lines of "I didn't expect (Here I Stand nor) this to go over so well."

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Picked up D-Day at Tarawa, Phantom Leader Deluxe, and A Victory Complete (a magazine game about the battle of Tannenberg)

They all look hella fun. :cool:

When will you posting a LP of D-Day? I have been eying that game forever.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

When will you posting a LP of D-Day? I have been eying that game forever.

Whenever I learn the game, I'll post some pics of my learning game.

It looks simpler than D-Day at Omaha, but I could be wrong! I've played a little of Omaha, and its a really cool system.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Can't wait until July when I will essentially be playing Virgin Queen (as Venice), but with 50+ players :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I can't wait for Yanks 2nd Ed to drop this summer :woop:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can't wait for Yanks 2nd Ed to drop this summer :woop:

Oh is it finally coming out?

I was at the game shop that specializes in ASL the other day, and had a $100 bill burning a hole in my pocket. Beyond Valor was staring at me SO HARD, and it took every ounce of willpower in me not to re-buy it.

I mean, I know re-buying games is my thing, but ASL is like the heroin of wargaming.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Oh is it finally coming out?

I was at the game shop that specializes in ASL the other day, and had a $100 bill burning a hole in my pocket. Beyond Valor was staring at me SO HARD, and it took every ounce of willpower in me not to re-buy it.

I mean, I know re-buying games is my thing, but ASL is like the heroin of wargaming.

According to the latest newsletter it is "Guaranteed out by the end of this summer"

"Yanks!
Yanks Second Edition is complete and this long awaited module is ready to roll out the newest print of the Americans. This edition of Yanks will include the contents of the original Yanks, the essential elements of Paratrooper, and 25 additional American scenarios (for a total of 41 scenarios!), six countersheets, eight mapboards and of course the Chapter H notes for the American OB. Printing has begun, so get it NOW while it's still on preorder. IT WILL SHIP THIS SUMMER!
"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
God drat that cover art is so good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*rolls snake eyes*

Heh. Guess I Red White and Blue your rear end sky high. :dukedog:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
YEAH WELL TAKE THIS HMG, JOE AMERICAN!

* rolls a 12 *

* bumps the table and makes the dice roll the American SAN *

* sniper kills my best leader *

* all my best squads' counters spontaneously combust *

I feel like this is how most of my ASL games go.

THANK YOU ALL FOR JOINING US FOR WARGAMES THREAD AFTER HOURS

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
They don't combust, they just all fail their leadership loss task check and then break and then get captured. All on the final turn of the game.

:suicide:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If I had a nickel for every time I had an ASL game come down to one final melee roll, I would have, phew... a good 25 cents.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I seriously wish ASL wasn't so ridiculous to get into and that starter kit #1 was in Stock anywhere.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Deliciousham posted:

It probably isn' t a true wargame but i couldnt really find a thread more relatable then this one. That being said, it is main game we have been playing and we are open to suggestions for people newer to the genre, since it has basically been this and Civ 5 games on PC. The caveat to thst being that its more or less a once month all day type ordeal when we play.

Given that the OP welcomes Risk (and I've posted a bit about Star Wars Risk here) I see absolutely no way in which that is not a wargame. Actually it welcomes A&A by name as well!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yep, A&A is more than welcome in this thread.

Used to play the D-Day A&A ages ago, it was actually decently fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Talking about the OP and ASL, didn't someone do a Beginner/Medium/Advanced thing for ASL? I can't seem to find it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Of the boardgames I've sold over the years, the anniversary axis and allies is the one I miss the most.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

There was my amateur guess

rchandra posted:

Sekigahara should probably go in block games. Maybe Space Empires 4X in multiplayer (or solitaire ... set it up last night after a long time, amazing how much you forget. At least the rules are good.)

I guess you could make an ASL category but it doesn't really fit as it's one game plus the SKs. Beginner:SK1-3, Intermediate: Beyond Valor, Advanced: your bank account ?

Followed by this ... thing.

A few other suggestions for the OP around that time as well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Talking about the OP and ASL, didn't someone do a Beginner/Medium/Advanced thing for ASL? I can't seem to find it.

I actually thought about doing some like... ASL 101 lessons. Like, a series of posts that would get you up to speed in playing the Starter Kit 1 scenarios.

I tried to make a SUPER condensed version in my LP thread, but there's only so much I can say in one post.

edit-- gently caress it, maybe it's the lack of sleep tonight, but I'm gonna do it. If nothing else maybe it'll get me an ASLSK opponent.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I've got Axis and Allies: Pacific sitting around somewhere and I keep meaning to lay it on some people I want to potentially induct into the deeper mysteries of wargames

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just opened my copy of Falling Sky... so pretty :3:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Just opened my copy of Falling Sky... so pretty :3:

It really is a gorgeous production. Even though the map is in the generic "COIN style", everything put together is just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

As a COIN Collector(tm) (thanks tomdidiot), I feel like I should buy LoD but it just doesn't interest me that much. I have every other volume already :(