Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Danger Mahoney posted:

Just got nostalgic and watched Ernest Goes to Jail and I am very surprised at the surreal sets and very dark tone of this movie. Like there are a total of four sets in the movie and every one is a dadaist fever dream. The bank where Earnest works is a high-ceiling doctor's office, the jail is a neon-lit dungeon full of guards wearing hot pink nazi uniforms, and every scene is shot at a crazy dutch angle. The whole thing seems like it is meant to convey a sense of disorientation and dread.

Also there is a rape scene.

The best bizarro sets are in the Schumacher Batman movies. Gotham looks like an expansive laser tag arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Henchman of Santa posted:

The best bizarro sets are in the Schumacher Batman movies. Gotham looks like an expansive laser tag arena.

I'm still not entirely sure I didn't just dream the entirety of Batman Forever up. I do remember having a pog though that was like two-face's coin from the movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Batman Forever had a couple good songs

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Batman Forever managed to hit the really weird tone it was shooting for and still be entertaining. It's a shame Batman and Robin missed it entirely.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I tried really hard to make an animated gif of bane strangling bat clooney with his giant rubber prosthetic arms and batman just makes this frog like yalp mouth and it's just the most hosed up beautiful thing I ever saw but I couldn't gif compress for poo poo and get it under 5megs to go up on any of the hosting sites of the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Krinkle posted:

I tried really hard to make an animated gif of bane strangling bat clooney with his giant rubber prosthetic arms and batman just makes this frog like yalp mouth and it's just the most hosed up beautiful thing I ever saw but I couldn't gif compress for poo poo and get it under 5megs to go up on any of the hosting sites of the time.

This bit?

http://i.imgur.com/eJbAqeh.gifv

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Right click, save as, yeah that'll keep me. That will do it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this? posted:

Everything about the opening is ridiculous, Conner at some wrestling thing going there all dressed up in his fancy European sports car and the guy who fights by constantly flipping around for no reason, like seriously watch the beginning of the movie again and try to figure out why the guy is flipping his way around the garage.

Fasil does the backflips so he can look under the cars to see if Conner is there without crouching down.

quote:

Then there's the scene where Conner is arrested and the cop is cocking his gun and holding it up to Conner's head when all they know is that there was some kind of disturbance and Conner was driving away.

You do realise the movie is set in America, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jedit posted:

Fasil does the backflips so he can look under the cars to see if Conner is there without crouching down.

In 80s New York

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Jedit posted:

But Connor's white?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm two episodes in to Jessica Jones and though it's a good show so far it's far too reliant on coincidences. Luke's sister dying on the same bus that hit Kilgrave and also the fact that Luke now also appears to be super strong

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EmmyOk posted:

I'm two episodes in to Jessica Jones and though it's a good show so far it's far too reliant on coincidences. Luke's sister dying on the same bus that hit Kilgrave and also the fact that Luke now also appears to be super strong

Keep watching

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Even if it's Luke Cage it still seems pretty coincidental. Anyways I'll watch more and see if there's more than meets to eye to all these seeming coincidences

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Keep watching

I don't know anything about the comic book stuff but JJ was a real fun show to watch.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It is also hard to watch Alec Hardy be a nasty character but Tennant is killing it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

EmmyOk posted:

Even if it's Luke Cage it still seems pretty coincidental. Anyways I'll watch more and see if there's more than meets to eye to all these seeming coincidences

He's a huge, tough black dude in Hell's Kitchen in a Marvel show. How could he not be Luke Cage?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Very carefully.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

He's a huge, tough black dude in Hell's Kitchen in a Marvel show. How could he not be Luke Cage?

I've never read comics I just watched some cartoons as a kid and the modern stuff so my knowledge is mainly piecemeal.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

EmmyOk posted:

I've never read comics I just watched some cartoons as a kid and the modern stuff so my knowledge is mainly piecemeal.

Go check out Daredevil.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

EmmyOk posted:

Okay. It's not like he walks around in a yellow shirt with a giant chain as a belt.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This one is super irrational because it's from a pre-movie commercial at the theater, so it doesn't mean anything.

A cute lady (played by Hayley Magnus, whom I only know because she was in Syfys Childhood's End miniseries) is walking around a scary house. As she walks around, ghosts do ghosty things behind/around her. She goes to a door, where voices in the theater tell her to not open the door and leave, because there's a monster is behind it. Cute Lady realizes they are right, thanks them, and leaves.

The irritation is that half the time I've seen this commercial (in multiple theaters!), the sound mix is all hosed up. The voices from the theater telling her to leave are super quiet (either barely audible or quiet), so the joke doesn't work. It's not the real-world ambient noise in the theater, either.

It's a clichéd joke when you can hear what you're expected to. When you can't, it becomes a dadaist story of a scared woman thanking a door and running away.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Been watching Person of Interest since it's been brought up a bunch and ~netflix~

somewhere late Season 2

Why didn't they just ask the machine who was in charge of HR while they had 24 hours of admin access? Or, i don't know, maybe ask for an email with a spiffy flowchart for the entire operation, and flowcharts for every other organized crime syndicate in New York--nay--the world?

/e on a few minutes more of thought, ask it to email conclusive evidence to every DA and ADA in the country but then that's ~exposure~ i guess plus you'd have to clarify to exclude John and the Bird Crew.

so much wasted potential

counterpoint S3E11 ha! he used the old school captain crunch phreak! credit

also, the soundtrack got loads better going into season 3 which has been great, especially with one track i'm particularly fond of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5yFx6Kn0iU

stringless has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Jun 24, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I retract my previous complaint with Jessica Jones but Kilgrave AKA Kill Grave is laughable as a baddy name.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I retract my previous complaint with Jessica Jones but Kilgrave AKA Kill Grave is laughable as a baddy name.

Thankfully they address how dumb it is

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I feel like this show keeps setting me up :saddowns:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I feel like this show keeps setting me up :saddowns:

Just don't expect Jessica to ever succeed at detective work.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Okay. It's not like he walks around in a yellow shirt with a giant chain as a belt.

He should. You say this like it would constitute a problem.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

EmmyOk posted:

C'mon, man! This dude is created by the same company that gave us Otto Octavius (Dr. Octopus) and Victor Von Doom (Dr. Doom.) Silly names are what define the baddies!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Sinister is still my favorite dumb villain name. Not only does it mean "I'm a naughty person" with zero clever twist, but he didn't even think to claim a cool title or rank like doctor, baron, or captain. He may be evil, but he's honest.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Mr. Sinister's backstory is that he was created by an 11 year old to be spooky. It's a child's idea of evil scary guy on purpose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

10 Beers posted:

C'mon, man! This dude is created by the same company that gave us Otto Octavius (Dr. Octopus) and Victor Von Doom (Dr. Doom.) Silly names are what define the baddies!

Dr. Doom is not an alias. It's his name. He's a Doctor.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Aphrodite posted:

You do realize that comic books are works of fiction written by an individual, yes?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really liked Independence Day Resurgence, but there was a bunch of "we have to pander to China to get into their theaters" stuff that annoyed me. It was kind of funny when there was a press conference where a reporter asked a Chinese pilot to make a statement because "China has such a great and important role in earth's defense", and she says something in Chinese and they don't even bother subtitling it. It was like the people making it were like "yep, this has no bearing on the rest of the movie, don't even bother".

E: mind you, all the gratuitous unsubtitled chinese stops when the aliens show up and flatten the Chinese space base.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

1redflag posted:

You do realize that comic books are works of fiction written by an individual, yes?

https://youtu.be/BvTNyKIGXiI

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

1redflag posted:

Doctors have to pass a standardized test, they're all equal.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My new opinion is that along with Guardians of the Galaxy it's so far above anything else Marvel studios has done. And I like marvel stuff. On episode 9 so no spoilers!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

1redflag posted:

What's all this now? You're crazy.

*puts on mask and cape*

*gets gas*

*goes to the grocery store*

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Henchman of Santa posted:

I really like the dark neon poo poo in those movies. If only it got used for something more appropriate like cyberpunk or really just about anything else.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Aphrodite posted:

Dammit, that's right. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dr Strange as well, but DC has this issue 10x worse than Marvel. It's like punny names are an unavoidable sentence of (mostly) villainy.