Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Of course there's no way to reset or lower my combat rating, which I "earned" while AI was easy.

At least not without completing starting over which I don't -really- want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Time to git gud commando

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

Of course there's no way to reset or lower my combat rating, which I "earned" while AI was easy.

At least not without completing starting over which I don't -really- want to do.

At least it's not throwing Elite NPCs at Mostly Harmless pilots because of their high trade/exploration rank anymore. What an idiotic move.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

A guaranteed special effect at the cost of two levels of rep doesn't seem worth it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Guze posted:

A guaranteed special effect at the cost of two levels of rep doesn't seem worth it.
Would you rather feed more materials to try to get that special effect which may never randomly show up? You might use way more than two levels of rep equivalent grinding to get that effect.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

IAmTheRad posted:

Would you rather feed more materials to try to get that special effect which may never randomly show up? You might use way more than two levels of rep equivalent grinding to get that effect.

Assuming that you're at rank 5, you make a guaranteed rank 5 special mod, and it kicks you back down to the beginning of rank 3? You'll need to craft 4 rank 3 mods and 4 rank 4 mods to get back to rank 5 and try again.

How many rolls at rank 5 would you have to do, on average, to get your special mod to show up? Sure it might happen first time, but I'm pretty sure the odds of getting a specific effect are worse than one in nine. Plus, you aren't spending rank 5 materials to recover your rep, only the rank 3 and 4 which are generally a bit more common.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks to goon hospitality yesterday I got into a Cobra Mk4 for mining. 2A refinery, two 3A collectors (4 drones total), a 1A prospector, and a single medium mining laser. Made like 400k in a relaxed, quiet hour yesterday while watching stupid cat videos and making GBS threads up Discord. Good times.

Now my question is what I should do with my Cobra Mk3 and my Viper Mk4. I guess deck out one of them for mission running, but which and how? I don't really know what kind of missions I'd want to do, so I guess I'd want to build for doing whatever all at once??

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also Olesh your title is one of my favorite anti-jokes, thanks for reminding me of it :v:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Getting busted down to rank 3 is much harsher than I was expecting, even if it's an objective improvement to the alternative. The whole thing still kind of stinks because it takes way too much time and effort to scrape together the stuff you need.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Olesh posted:

Assuming that you're at rank 5, you make a guaranteed rank 5 special mod, and it kicks you back down to the beginning of rank 3? You'll need to craft 4 rank 3 mods and 4 rank 4 mods to get back to rank 5 and try again.

How many rolls at rank 5 would you have to do, on average, to get your special mod to show up? Sure it might happen first time, but I'm pretty sure the odds of getting a specific effect are worse than one in nine. Plus, you aren't spending rank 5 materials to recover your rep, only the rank 3 and 4 which are generally a bit more common.
It's mainly for weapons since you have less than a 2% chance of seeing the specific weapon effect you're shooting for with the normal system, let alone getting a good roll out of your mod as well.

At the start of beta it was a 75% chance to get a special weapon effect and they inexplicably changed it to 10% in the second to last beta patch for no real reason (and received a massive backlash from the playerbase as a result, hence we now have this compromise). Most weapons have at least 5 effects they can roll so you're looking at 1/5 of 10% in the best case.

To put this in perspective, I believe Dark Off ended up re-rolling a weapon mod over 140 times during the beta (when they just cost fish instead of real mats) to get the effect he wanted to come up. Even Ed from Frontier was getting visibly irritated with the system on one of their streams post nerf since he couldn't get any effects to come up in 5 minutes of solid re-rolling live on an official stream.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Reminder that most (all?) engineers can be ranked up via alternative means.

Still doesn't make it less lovely and grindy but it is an option.

Meanwhile still wondering why they didn't just add a mission board for the engineers either.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tbh, there's still meant to be, what, another 4 years of 'seasons' of content? I think Frontier wanted the very best mods to be a 'long time off' thing to work towards, not taking into account everything must be near-instant gratification these days. Maybe the engineers modding should have come a couple seasons down the road?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks to goon hospitality yesterday I got into a Cobra Mk4 for mining. 2A refinery, two 3A collectors (4 drones total), a 1A prospector, and a single medium mining laser. Made like 400k in a relaxed, quiet hour yesterday while watching stupid cat videos and making GBS threads up Discord. Good times.

Now my question is what I should do with my Cobra Mk3 and my Viper Mk4. I guess deck out one of them for mission running, but which and how? I don't really know what kind of missions I'd want to do, so I guess I'd want to build for doing whatever all at once??

Cobra Mk III stealth smuggler/trader. Do it. It's the closest thing this game comes to fun. Do the rares circuit with a proper trade-fit Cobra, you'll be well past a million cr/h. And if you're brave, I think some faraway places (not robigo) still do slave smuggling missions.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess I could fit the Cobra3 for rare trading and later fit the Viper 4 for combat/missions, yeah

Just rare trading seems like it would get boring quickly, though, but what the hey, variety is the spice of life

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

tbh, there's still meant to be, what, another 4 years of 'seasons' of content? I think Frontier wanted the very best mods to be a 'long time off' thing to work towards, not taking into account everything must be near-instant gratification these days. Maybe the engineers modding should have come a couple seasons down the road?

Eh, Engineers really highlighted to me that FDev might have a long-term game vision, but I'm steadily learning that their vision doesn't necessarily conform to what I consider fun to play. The whole passengers thing, their ideas for Multi-Crew and ship-launched fighters... None of these ideas are looking particularly compelling to me since I know FDev are pretty dead-set about giving no incentives to multiplayer/wings/interaction and don't show any signs of relenting in their gameplay philosphy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sold my souped up Asp for an Imperial Eagle. Shot a man down in space. Logged out. Another successful evening in Elite!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
What even is the point of multi crew and fighters? Do so many people want to get into non-CQC PVP fights that this is something FDev needs to be on top of?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Got to admit I don't reaaaally see the use of non-AI fighters. They're agile but made of paper and have piddly little guns. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nightwisher posted:

Eh, Engineers really highlighted to me that FDev might have a long-term game vision, but I'm steadily learning that their vision doesn't necessarily conform to what I consider fun to play. The whole passengers thing, their ideas for Multi-Crew and ship-launched fighters... None of these ideas are looking particularly compelling to me since I know FDev are pretty dead-set about giving no incentives to multiplayer/wings/interaction and don't show any signs of relenting in their gameplay philosphy.

Pretty much.

I mean, the game is gorgeous and all, and the flight model and combat stuff works pretty well. But the game fails as a sandbox compared to pretty much everything, even the X-series of games (which I find much too complex, but whatever), doesn't have a storyline or solid gameplay/direction like Freelancer did, isn't an on-the-rails combat space sim like Conflict Freespace, and isn't an actual space simulator like Kerbal Space Program. The game tries to be some sort of unholy combination of these elements, but it all mashes together to produce... nothing.

For as cool as the space ship designs are, and as good as it looks and feels, it's just a space fighter sim game sim. It's just flying around in a spaceship slowly going spacemad, with grinding replacing actual gameplay. It's just amounts to nothing in the end. It's telling that the most fun I've had in this game is using exploits and and clever/effective ways to make loads of money bypassing the incredibly dull grind of this game. Now that I've got as big and cool a ship as I want A-fitted, there's really nothing more to do, I feel.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You could... fly your ship?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Pretty much.

I mean, the game is gorgeous and all, and the flight model and combat stuff works pretty well. But the game fails as a sandbox compared to pretty much everything, even the X-series of games (which I find much too complex, but whatever), doesn't have a storyline or solid gameplay/direction like Freelancer did, isn't an on-the-rails combat space sim like Conflict Freespace, and isn't an actual space simulator like Kerbal Space Program. The game tries to be some sort of unholy combination of these elements, but it all mashes together to produce... nothing.

For as cool as the space ship designs are, and as good as it looks and feels, it's just a space fighter sim game sim. It's just flying around in a spaceship slowly going spacemad, with grinding replacing actual gameplay. It's just amounts to nothing in the end. It's telling that the most fun I've had in this game is using exploits and and clever/effective ways to make loads of money bypassing the incredibly dull grind of this game. Now that I've got as big and cool a ship as I want A-fitted, there's really nothing more to do, I feel.

It's Elite

Dabir posted:

You could... fly your ship?

Don't be absurd :jerkbag:

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Elite is a mirror.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pretty much.

dunno why you bought the game if you're going to go out of your way to avoid playing it :iiam:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Professor Bling posted:

dunno why you bought the game if you're going to go out of your way to avoid playing it :iiam:

Obviously frontier's fault.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Professor Bling posted:

Because it was recommended to me by a friend. Like most my purchases.

I've played the game plenty, but I'm in an A-fit anaconda with a billion credits and nothing to do. Why mine for pocket change? Why RES hunt for pocket change? Why grind for useless upgrades? Why grind for useless reputation points? What would I DO with more money or special gear?

If I could build something, anything, that'd be cool. Like a base or something. Outfit my ship for co-op play would be cool, but that doesn't exist and isn't rewarding. There are so many mechanics of spaceshipsim that could have been implemented in this game, ways to interact with other players (repair, trade, piracy, expeditions etc.), stuff to build and feel some sense of progress being made. But no.

In sum, I think it's very fair to continually criticize this game for its faults. Which is why I agree with the post I quoted earlier.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Obviously frontier's fault.

Obviously.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It's almost as if the point of the game is the intrinsic fun and fantasy had in flying a spaceship.

E: nice meltdown

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 23, 2016

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

It's almost as if the point of the game is the intrinsic fun and fantasy had in flying a spaceship.

Almost. You'd expect a games developer to actually make a game though

F.E.: Now that I think about it, Elite does remind me a lot of Farming Simulator 15, which I've played a fair bit. Turns out that's a farming simulator.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I've been quite enjoying the new spin on base raids 2.1 has brought. Previously raiding hi-sec bases earned you about 1m per go, which was lousy money for the time invested. Now it's the best way bar none to get data.

I'm hoping they'll expand this gameplay into end-game 'raid' equivalents to get parts for purple upgrades. Certainly, winging up to blast through a Thargoid swarm before landing SRVs to capture a base would be cool.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I like the new engineers mechanic but I've only unlocked Todd the blaster guy and I have a hell of a time grinding for these cracked and modified firmwares and other materials. What is the easiest way you guys use to farm these things? I tried a base raid which was cool and fun but I couldn't find the last data node despite driving all over the place. Took an hour of time too.

I may finally have enough for a vulture and I'm thinking dual large pulse lasers. How's the engineer grind for pulse laser mods?

Do you guys use the power play bonuses for RES bounty grinding? I've started to make maybe 2mil an hour on a good one but always wondering how to make money faster.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I've played the game plenty, but I'm in an A-fit anaconda with a billion credits and nothing to do. Why mine for pocket change? Why RES hunt for pocket change? Why grind for useless upgrades? Why grind for useless reputation points? What would I DO with more money or special gear?

Something worth considering is just how many 'quality' play hours do you expect to get from the game before you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel?

I think for a lot of people the first 20-30 hours stand well on their own merits. The feedback loop of getting cash doing different stuff and buying/upgrading ships to do more stuff better works pretty well in the low-mid tiers of ships.

After that point, is it unreasonable to say that the game runs out of tricks and it's up to the players to move on to something else when the game stops being fun for them? Is it a major fault of the game that it can't entertain everyone well beyond that point?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Especially someone who by their own admission used a "cheat code" to get ahead.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah, folks in the other thread who are giving new players a boost over 'the first few hours of grind' - those first few hours are some of the most fun you'll have in the game, with pride in making a few thousand credits towards your first second-hand Cobra MkIII. My first million with a hauler and then a type 6 was memorable and I'd hate to have missed it.

Also at the top end, if you Robigo'd yourself a Conda I don't have any sympathy that you've played yourself out of a fun game.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I still think bumbling around in my Freagle was the highlight of the game for me. Small ship supremacy.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I stayed in a sidewinder on purpose for a long time because it was the most fun thing to do. Skipping the early game is robbing yourself.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

E: nice meltdown

:allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:ironicat:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

not taking into account everything must be near-instant gratification these days

You probably didn't mean it like that but I see this as a counter-argument for reducing the grind insanity in the game right now, usually on the brown sea. There's this enormous, vast range of things that exist between near instant gratification and whatever the gently caress FDev did to the engineers.

I play a lot of f2p grindy poo poo and Elite tops it. I simply cannot understand providing content for the game and then making it functionally unattainable, either because of improper explanations, insanely low drop chances, the time it takes to even begin doing anything or their reliance on third party websites to provide answers.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Aethernet posted:

I've been quite enjoying the new spin on base raids 2.1 has brought. Previously raiding hi-sec bases earned you about 1m per go, which was lousy money for the time invested. Now it's the best way bar none to get data.

I'm hoping they'll expand this gameplay into end-game 'raid' equivalents to get parts for purple upgrades. Certainly, winging up to blast through a Thargoid swarm before landing SRVs to capture a base would be cool.

I need some outdaded firmware or something to upgrade my FSD again. I tried raiding 2 bases so far but didn't find them there.

Should I try a 'high tech' base? are those just bases that are in high tech systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
High security bases are the ones with three plus signs next to their name, or occasionally just labelled 'high security'. They'll have around 5-6 data terminals, all of which need to be scanned within a time limit to get data. I recommend attacking with your ship first to kill any defending vessels and to lure out Goliaths, which are an arse to kill in your SRV.

Edit: also some bases will have big fuckoff guns that may do a number on your ship. Lure the surrounding vessels away rather than attacking directly.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 23, 2016

• Locked thread