Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

After googling a bit it seems to be the right part I just don't think they messed with the throttle cable length at the carb. I'm just baffled because the main dude is a well known mechanic locally and had another mechanic working with him

In retrospect I should have gotten a 690 SMC but I do love my dizzer and am going to be keeping it a while.

But I don't know why we're having the tired DRZ/mods vs. ____ argument in the first place and talking about this and that etc when I'm posting about a throttle tube lol. But I digress

Find out more tomorrow

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011

Marxalot posted:

What kind of engine work? BB Kits are p.standard on DRZs, but I'd be wary of one with "only 200mi on the new top end" or something goofy like that. Cam chain tensioners are a thing people usually replace with a manual one, and valves are either a common or mandatory upgrade depending on what flavor of aftermarket cams it might have.

Coydog posted:

That depends. What was the engine work? How much is that one selling for? A picture alone isn't great to assess a bike.

Sumos that look like that break my normal "should I run from buying this bike" meter because everyone who owns a sumo mods and thrashes it by the very nature of supermotos.

With engine work I meant engine rebuild. Apparently things that were replaced in the engine rebuild were piston, valves, camchain, clutch plates and springs and some other bits. Also it has the manual cam chain tensioner. No bigbore kit or such. It has been driven for 10000km after the rebuild though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Mursupitsku posted:

With engine work I meant engine rebuild. Apparently things that were replaced in the engine rebuild were piston, valves, camchain, clutch plates and springs and some other bits. Also it has the manual cam chain tensioner. No bigbore kit or such. It has been driven for 10000km after the rebuild though.

at the very least you should find out what dildo used in his engine overhaul. Not all parts are made the same. Go checkout the reviews of the kibblewhite valves + drz. I learned a hard pain in the rear end lesson using a hotcams cam chain.

More to drive the point home. 8k into my 424, the stock bore/piston are starting to slowly burn oil. I am very, very, very annoyed with this. built it around a 10-15k cyl life. Just means its 470/485 time.

E: Irony is though, by the time I get the -time- to swap the cyl, it'll have 10-15k. maybe I shouldn't bitch.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 26, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Mursupitsku posted:

If it needed a rebuild at that point something was seriously wrong with how the motor was treated, as they should do 25,000 miles (40,000 kilometers) no problem with just basic maintenance. Of course, everyone runs them low on oil, forgets to check them, and then they explode.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Z3n posted:

If it needed a rebuild at that point something was seriously wrong with how the motor was treated, as they should do 25,000 miles (40,000 kilometers) no problem with just basic maintenance. Of course, everyone runs them low on oil, forgets to check them, and then they explode.

This. Mine is in the low 20s, beat on, and runs great.

Except it's blowing fuses. I need to look into that :v:

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Marxalot posted:

This. Mine is in the low 20s, beat on, and runs great.

Except it's blowing fuses. I need to look into that :v:

Hey goons, long story short, I am considering turning my 2009 WR450F into a Motard, but don't have much of a clue how to go about it. I'll likely only be riding it on the street (at least for now), so I'd like for it to be as cheap as possible, so ideally I'd just like to swap the wheels and rear sprocket to do this.

Does anyone have any links to a build/resources that are definitive in what I need? I've read a couple things that say you can chuck on the tyres/rims and be done with it?

Munchlover
Dec 29, 2012
hi y'all, i have been lurking this thread for way too long. my kawasaki er6 was nicked a few weeks back, so i replaced it with a DRZ, wow. best decision ever. i can't believe this much fun is legal on an A2 licence (UK, restricted to 49bhp). its stock apart frpm the exhaust as far as i know, might look at the common mods when i have some cash. any UK goons riding one of these?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You guys get 49hp DRZs outta the box? :aaaaa:

NAS is fuckin' 33hp lollll

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The license limit is 49hp, not the bike itself

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I just talked to the US mvd importer and he just got the first 3 mvd 1 pc suits in for testing, they look great, priced ~850 usd

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

EX250 Type R posted:

I just talked to the US mvd importer and he just got the first 3 mvd 1 pc suits in for testing, they look great, priced ~850 usd

mmmmm details?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8yNTnZtSCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7E0UpxmuEU
470 loving ruuuules. hurry up breakin wanna go rip rear end off stairs.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Email Jeremy DeGrasse at info@klutch-industries.com

He is the MVD importer for the US and was racing in one of the suits yesterday. According to Jeremy, they are very similar to the MVD two piece but ya know, one piece, made in Europe. I guess the agreement was the suits need to be priced to compete otherwise there was no point and some how that means a full 1pc MVD race suit for 850 bucks.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I still have my brand spanking new 2 piece in white/black for sale. In a size L (US medium). I'll sell it dirt cheap if anyone wants it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe, it'll be a couple weeks before I'm ready to buy a replacement dd suit. friggin leg zipper broke in half last week. driving me crazy.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Slim Pickens posted:

I went to the Tri-Cities Kart Club with a handful of other goons last weekend, it was a blast, even though my bike didn't work for poo poo.

They let me borrow a 350XC with a trials tire on the front and a flat track tire on the back, though, so it was all good. It grips better than you'd think.

It was also a drat good showing. I'm bummed I'll miss the first race in the Cascadia SM series.

(Photos are by Gollous, I think. Or he might not be a goon at all)

My buddy and I went back to TCKC for Sunday's open practice following their race Saturday. We camp late, get breakfast, and return to everyone packing up! Nobody at the race wanted to ride Sunday so they cancelled, but they let us ride for 3 hours.

I'm still running dirt wheels, this time with a 21" slick made for cruisers (conti attack custom). It rode like poo poo, turns out motorcycle superstore sold me a 7 year old tire. Dropping the psi down to 17 it started to hold traction but still sketchy.

Having the track to yourself for 3 hour was a lot better than 15 minutes an hour for 8. We tried it backwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Pr1eLs9tU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.22photos.net/Boxshop-Speedway/Mains-6416/

http://www.22photos.net/Boxshop-Speedway/Sunday-6516/

Some pretty good racing over the weekend, some really good riders there that compete on national circuits and stuff

edit: It's not obvious but they race 250s/450s there as well

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 7, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Why do sport bikes have funny seats?

(sincere question with all due respect...but y'alls seats are different)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

I mean yeah but if you notice, all of these except dirt bikes have a bucket for your rear end. There's nothing keeping you from falling off but your knees. Is it really all knees?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

the bike between my legs helps keep me from falling off

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Trials bikes have no seats at all.

Sports bikes have less of a seat because of the seating position. To have a bucket seat it would need to either be custom built or adjustable and either way it would pin you in place so you couldn't get a knee down like the best racer of his generation, Andrea Iannone. You also don't put weight on your butt so it's not like it'd be more comfortable. Why don't they have a custom ball cup? Same iissue with sliding from side to side to get a knee down I assume. Plus the one size fits all problem. But a flat seat let's you easily slide from side to side while still providing a platform to support your body.

Fwiw, you often want to stand up on dirt bikes and then it really is just gripping the tank with your knees, feet on the foot pegs and hands on the handlebars that keep you on the bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

I mean yeah but if you notice, all of these except dirt bikes have a bucket for your rear end. There's nothing keeping you from falling off but your knees. Is it really all knees?

The sport bike does have a "bucket" (butt-bump), it's just less pronounced than on a cruiser. And the seat angle and your body position tend to make you slide forwards anyway.

Just go to a dealership and sit on a sport bike. It'll make sense.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Verge posted:

Dirt bikes are like sitting on a 2x4. There is no bucket. How exactly do you think youre just going to fall off?

JB50 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 23, 2016

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Hence the nickname, Hemorrhoid Honda

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
csb or anyone else with drzs:

so i swapped out the rear sprockets on the 17 and the 18 rear-- 44t and 47t respectively. also put in a new chain (112 links). i only had time to try out the 17 though and was having a little bit of rub on what I think is the bottom chain guide.. I think I adjusted the problem away but is it gonna be a problem with the 47t on the 18 being too large for the stock chain guide? Or is that mostly an adjustment issue?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mine has an aftermarket guide and the sprocket itself used to rub on the side of it, as well with the chain. I figure its from being knocked or a lovely guide.

E: I'll get a photo tomorrow if you want.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 15, 2016

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It will wear a clearance.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize the Duke II looked so good with a dirt fender and headlight. I might want one of these in my life.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those early lc4s really redefine paint shaker.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Z3n posted:

Those early lc4s really redefine paint shaker.

Invest in a gallon of loctite and also just buy a 625smc.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah not sure about the reliability either. My buddies 03 or thereabouts 625 SMC was a blast to ride but yeah holy poo poo that thing rattled your balls off

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Why does it have a 2-into-1?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Four valve head, so I guess for power or casting or whatever it makes more sense to give each valve a pipe. I've seen quite a few thumpers do that(including my sm610)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hey EX250 Type R can I bug you about your XR100 set up? I have one with a 120 kit on it, and they're doing tons of $40 open track days on the kart track at Road America. I know you do a mix of dirt and tarmac and the kart track is all tarmac, but what are you doing for forks/springs and tires? Are you doing anything with the rear shock too?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T-Square posted:

Hey EX250 Type R can I bug you about your XR100 set up? I have one with a 120 kit on it, and they're doing tons of $40 open track days on the kart track at Road America. I know you do a mix of dirt and tarmac and the kart track is all tarmac, but what are you doing for forks/springs and tires? Are you doing anything with the rear shock too?

:stonk: another Wisconsin goon? Whereabouts are you?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Got a supermoto trackday tomorrow. Any tips? Any things to bring along I might have forgotten?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

T-Square posted:

100/90-16 BT45s are the gold standard for tires with a 16" XR80 front wheel. Right now I have a 110/90-16 Pirelli Sport Demon rear tire and I think the offset tire size is better than when I had both the same but I feel like the BT45s have been stickier. I swapped a BBR spring on the rear shock and kept my stock fork springs but increased the oil weight (Maxima 20wt filled to 4" from the top). Short throw CR80/85 throttle tube and cable is a great mod and don't forget about gearing up/down to suit the track.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:stonk: another Wisconsin goon? Whereabouts are you?

I'm out in Waukesha, about an hour from RA. Mostly do track riding and racing at the moment

EX250 Type R posted:

100/90-16 BT45s are the gold standard for tires with a 16" XR80 front wheel. Right now I have a 110/90-16 Pirelli Sport Demon rear tire and I think the offset tire size is better than when I had both the same but I feel like the BT45s have been stickier. I swapped a BBR spring on the rear shock and kept my stock fork springs but increased the oil weight (Maxima 20wt filled to 4" from the top). Short throw CR80/85 throttle tube and cable is a great mod and don't forget about gearing up/down to suit the track.

Right on, thanks!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just north of MKE here, so we aren't far.

Mostly doing commuting and errand running and other such dadriding right now :reject:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Finally figured out how to do 2nd gear clutch up wheelies on the WRx today. This changes everything. Supermoto's are the best.

Also got a chance to ride a DRZ400, and was shocked at how sluggish and tractor-like it *felt* compared to the WRx.

• Locked thread