Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

"Multiplies the number of non-critical strikes for a single-target weaponskill by 3. Additional effects added only once."

Before you get the 220 potency Empyreal Arrow, barrage your Heavy Shot. Since you don't get the crit benefit from a Straight Shot proc, you might as well barrage the 150 potency ability rather than the 140 potency ability. All your other options are either even less up-front potency, not single-target, and/or not weaponskills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i found this guide for DRK last night while i was googling information, it looks uptodate, i think: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/240940-The-Definitive-Dark-Knight-Guide

does any drk mains have comments on it or other tips/tricks for raids? for instance, it says mercy stroke is better than taking both foresight and awareness, which im unsure of but i haven't touched current content yet, as well as Scourge > Souleater Combo > Delirium Combo > Souleater combo > Delirium Combo (repeat) after the opener looks incredibly simplistic; are there ways to optimize it beyond this?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Not my screenshot. I just find it amazing that this isn't the first time people have come use his house for ERP.

Or that they don't care if they're in there, just that they're not keeping the ERP private...people are weird.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Oh, so there was something wrong with the fire 2 sound effect since 3.3. I wasn't crazy.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Rafza posted:

i found this guide for DRK last night while i was googling information, it looks uptodate, i think: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/240940-The-Definitive-Dark-Knight-Guide

does any drk mains have comments on it or other tips/tricks for raids? for instance, it says mercy stroke is better than taking both foresight and awareness, which im unsure of but i haven't touched current content yet, as well as Scourge > Souleater Combo > Delirium Combo > Souleater combo > Delirium Combo (repeat) after the opener looks incredibly simplistic; are there ways to optimize it beyond this?

I'm not a top tier Drk by any means but that guide looks pretty good to start. The combo rotation seems okay but you can get 2 DA Souleater combos to a Delirium combo pretty easily. I feel like the guide is over conservative with how much MP they want to hold onto, especially when dropping Grit gives you access to Blood Weapon(?). The MP regeneration from that fuels DA Souleater for days.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Vil posted:

non-critical

Just further proof that i'm really bad at reading tooltips.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rafza posted:

For DRK I cross class provoke, awareness, convalescence, foresight and mercy stroke. Bloodbath isn't great for DRK since their AoE attacks are magical and therefore not able to use bloodbath as a HP regainer.

The main thing about DRK is establishing a threat lead and spending as little time in grit as possible. Use dark arts and power slash once or twice, then drop grit and go to town. With blood weapon and syphon strike, you can easily maintain MP to use dark arts to make your souleaters stronger (provided you already used carve and spit).

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Thanks for the tips on collectibles; I don't know how I missed that I got two separate items when I tried getting multiple collectibles before. Now I'm speeding along as my miner.

Does anyone have any general guidelines for pvp, specially as a PLD tank? I like trying all of the content out so I wanted to dip my feet into the Feast, but I wanted to know if, just like how there are unwritten rules for tanking in a dungeon, there are strategies I should be sticking to in pvp. So far the general consensus seems to be something between 'dive in to harass the enemy healer with stunlocks' or 'stay back with the healer to cover him and stun people harassing him'. Also I hope I'm correct in that I don't require special pvp gear anymore since they did away with the morale system and sync to ilvl 150?

Or would the best tip be 'don't play pvp'?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Oh, so there was something wrong with the fire 2 sound effect since 3.3. I wasn't crazy.

Haha, exactly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FutureCop posted:

Thanks for the tips on collectibles; I don't know how I missed that I got two separate items when I tried getting multiple collectibles before. Now I'm speeding along as my miner.

Does anyone have any general guidelines for pvp, specially as a PLD tank? I like trying all of the content out so I wanted to dip my feet into the Feast, but I wanted to know if, just like how there are unwritten rules for tanking in a dungeon, there are strategies I should be sticking to in pvp. So far the general consensus seems to be something between 'dive in to harass the enemy healer with stunlocks' or 'stay back with the healer to cover him and stun people harassing him'. Also I hope I'm correct in that I don't require special pvp gear anymore since they did away with the morale system and sync to ilvl 150?

Or would the best tip be 'don't play pvp'?

Put shield bash on all of your hotkeys, roll face on keyboard.

Your pvp abilities are pretty good though. Full swing is great if you have a coordinated group or people smart enough to follow your marks. Glory slash is literally FUS-RO-DA, it's an amazing feeling when you knock the entire enemy team off of a cliff. You can also use it offensively to throw a healer back into your killzone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Goddamn.

Someone on the FF14 subreddit posted a thread talking about "happy anniversary" because Heavensward was released 1 year ago today. One of the top comments: "At least it hasn't been an entire year since our last content patch..." Since WoW's last patch was released 1 year ago today as well and their expansion is the end of August.

No matter how much we may complain about what is or isn't in these patch, we can at least be grateful we're not dealing with that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
:catstare:

Suddenly, the subscriber churn makes a *lot* of sense.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

You know what the hardest thing about being a PLD is? Finding a glamour that works...I love the new Mhach set, but finding a shield/sword combo that matches it nicely is proving difficult.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My favorite pld glamour is augmented heavy wolfram armor dyed white, with the ARR relic sword/shield. It's a but stereotypical I suppose but you're a hulking shoulderpaddy knight with glowing weapons and armor.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This is my current PLD glamour

It's the novice set with a flat cap, Mailbreaker, and the shield should be obvious.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paladins have exclusive access to zantetsuken, quit your bitching.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My other favorite tank glamour is the don quixote look: Wootz Mail dyed red, Red Onion hat, poofy holy rainbow pants, hard leather shoes, and some kind of poofy glove that doesn't cover too much of the sleeve. It looks best on PLDs and DRKs but I guess you could use a bill or something and it would look Not That Stupid on a WAR, too.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Current tank glamour: fool the enemies into thinking I'm a cowboymachinist.

Survival hat, uraeus coat (dyed), hyuran gloves, tantalus breeches, strife boots (dyed).

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Klades posted:

I don't see how this is at all ambiguous.

Because of those.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Vil posted:

Survival hat, uraeus coat (dyed), hyuran gloves, tantalus breeches, strife boots (dyed).

It's hiiiiiigh noon.

Seriously, you're one prosthetic arm and a glowing chest plate away from McCree.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Solumin posted:

It's hiiiiiigh noon.

Seriously, you're one prosthetic arm and a glowing chest plate away from McCree.

I really wish I actually enjoyed playing MCH because now I want to do a cowboy glamour. Alas, I haaaate the playstyle

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This thus far has been my favorite PLD glamour that I set up:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm a MCH working on a cowboy glamour and the loving Wrangler Hat from the new dungeons still eludes me! :argh:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Goddamn.

Someone on the FF14 subreddit posted a thread talking about "happy anniversary" because Heavensward was released 1 year ago today. One of the top comments: "At least it hasn't been an entire year since our last content patch..." Since WoW's last patch was released 1 year ago today as well and their expansion is the end of August.

No matter how much we may complain about what is or isn't in these patch, we can at least be grateful we're not dealing with that.

it's also the one-year anniversary of wow patch 6.2, since they released the same day as heavensward because that's what they do

wow will not have another real content update for, oh, two months. and you'll have to fork out sixty bucks for it because it's the next expansion.

wow's previous "content update", widely panned for the biggest feature in it being twitter achivement integration and a selfie camera, was feb 24th, 2015

the current expansion, which had it's price increased to $60 and released nov 13th, 2014, only contained those two patches

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

sword_man.gif posted:

twitter achivement integration and a selfie camera

I feel for WoW players who wish they got more real content, but this is hilarious and awesome.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Ouhei posted:

You know what the hardest thing about being a PLD is? Finding a glamour that works...I love the new Mhach set, but finding a shield/sword combo that matches it nicely is proving difficult.
I combined it with Mailbreaker and the Company Escutcheon, both crafted so they were easy to get. I'm also using the Protector's helm and other pieces from the Divine War set since I only have the Mhach chest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Vil posted:

It's high noon.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

VHGS posted:

I feel for WoW players who wish they got more real content, but this is hilarious and awesome.

I can't loving imagine if YoshiP came forward and said "We're announcing that patch 3.4 will consist of the ability to post to twitter and take selfie screenshots in game. That will be the only content. Okay, see you in six months."

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

kafziel posted:

Because of those.

Those are elemental resistances. To be fair, Foe Requiem's tooltip used to say "elemental resistance", but they changed it somewhere along the line.

Rafza posted:

The DRK rotation is literally just: Keep Scourge up, using DA on Carve and Spit the instant it is up every time, keep your oGCDs on cooldown unless you need one of them for some mechanic, use DA Souleater to prevent your MP from capping, use Delirium otherwise
If you're in a situation where you can drop grit then you can do a lot of DA Souleater. Otherwise you can't do a whole lot of DA Souleater.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Solumin posted:

It's hiiiiiigh noon.

Astroniomix posted:

It's high noon.

Rest assured, my friends also gave me crap about my unintentional McCree cosplay when I first put this glamour together.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Truga posted:

LOTRO music system should be in every MMO.
What was it, for those of us who never played?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Pierson posted:

You could use instruments to play custom MIDI files so your game could sound just like a 1997 geocities page.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Pierson posted:

If I remember right there was basically a system in place where you could play simple tunes. Think of something like using the ocarina in Zelda:OoT.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pierson posted:

Each character has a skill in an instrument. With that instrument you can play what amounts to midi files, or manually hit notes. If you get a group together and you all have appropriate music files, you can perform a song since its just a bunch of midi voices.

Unfortunately that will not work with Soken's orchestrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Irae posted:

If you haven't found anyone else by then, I can do that at around 6 pm GMT. What's your ingame name?

Daryl C'zaithe but I appear to have missed you :(

btw: Can I add your character? It'd probably be a good idea since different time zones.

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 23, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nipponophile posted:

You could use instruments to play custom MIDI files so your game could sound just like a 1997 geocities page.

There's also a command you and others can use to sync yourselves together so that you all play at the exact same time on your respective instruments. Starbound uses a similar system (same .abc files too) but it's not nearly as good.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

AngusPodgorny posted:

I combined it with Mailbreaker and the Company Escutcheon, both crafted so they were easy to get. I'm also using the Protector's helm and other pieces from the Divine War set since I only have the Mhach chest.

I haven't seen the shield before but this looks great, I'll have to get myself one!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Klades posted:

Those are elemental resistances. To be fair, Foe Requiem's tooltip used to say "elemental resistance", but they changed it somewhere along the line.
It's also the only thing that says Resistance on the character sheet (aside from status resistances for PvP.)
The only other thing that deals with how much Magic Damage you take is... Magic Defense.

Considering that in the game there are three main ways bosses debuff people to take more magic damage (overall Vuln debuffs which bypass stats entirely, Magic Resistance Down ala Serpentstrike in Void Ark, and messing with resistances ala the second boss Stone Lion in Lost City HM) it's still something to trip up over.

Edit: Bright side: now I have something to check for, to see if that magic resistance down debuff is a reskin of vuln or if it messes with your magic defense.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 23, 2016

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's also a command you and others can use to sync yourselves together so that you all play at the exact same time on your respective instruments. Starbound uses a similar system (same .abc files too) but it's not nearly as good.

The stupid thing about Starbound is that you can't hear any custom music at all if you don't have the file downloaded already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Alder posted:

Daryl C'zaithe but I appear to have missed you :(

btw: Can I add your character? It'd probably be a good idea since different time zones.
According to the spreadsheet, your options in TPT are Svan Hvit (me), Lina, and Ana Stasia. I at least should be on tonight, although I tend to wander away from the computer randomly.

• Locked thread