Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

zoux posted:

Bro it's 18 year olds trying to be loving Molotov online and loving it up, that's what's funny to laugh at. I was dangerously woke myself at that age.

That's all I'm saying. I was there, too, but thankfully not publicly on twitter. Don't throw stones is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Bro it's 18 year olds trying to be loving Molotov online and loving it up, that's what's funny to laugh at. I was dangerously woke myself at that age.

back in the day, zoux was standing up against the us involvement in the Spanish-American War and protesting the conditions at meat packing plants, quoting The Jungle at length,

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

As I understand it if there are two applicants equal in all aspects you hire/accept the minority. I think this part is fine.

The part I don't think is fine is that you need a certain percent of minorities. Schools and jobs don't exist to hire under-qualified people. It's an individual's responsibility to make sure they are qualified.

I could be majorly wrong on all of it though.

you are, because what happens in that scenario is the business just hires a bunch of 'qualified' people who all happen to be white

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

Koalas March posted:

And AA still benefits white women most. She can cry me a loving river.

Genuine question: Could you give any more information or links on this? That's honestly really interesting, and I'm curious about understanding the explanation/rationale behind this.

Edit: I know I'm being lazy, so I'll try looking around as well. I found this http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/17/affirmative-action-has-helped-white-women-more-than-anyone/ and I'll check it out.

Suckthemonkey fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 23, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

you are, because what happens in that scenario is the business just hires a bunch of 'qualified' people who all happen to be white

It's even worse because companies would rather hire white felons than black people without criminal records.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Not that there was really much chance before, but Trump's done The Pivot, he's locked in now.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, It's not going to happen. Like I said before, the damage the party would do to itself by ratfucking Trump would be WAY worse than letting Trump be the nominee and losing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The lose-losest situtation, and it's all on the Republicans.

Man Obama better get some disaster relief funds ready to be sent to offset all the upcoming chaos on the California coast because this poo poo is gonna be a landslide.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"Trump loses by 4-6%, the GOP holds the Senate by 1 seat" seems like the median outcome now. I think they'll take that.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

If they were the most qualified applicant there's no issue. The only one responsible for making sure you're qualified is you. If there are revealed to be racist reasons the DOJ should loving crush the company/school and make an example.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Suckthemonkey posted:

Genuine question: Could you give any more information or links on this? That's honestly really interesting, and I'm curious about understanding the explanation/rationale behind this.

Edit: I know I'm being lazy, so I'll try looking around as well. I found this http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/17/affirmative-action-has-helped-white-women-more-than-anyone/ and I'll check it out.

I was gathering some links but that Times article is the most recent.

http://www.racismreview.com/blog/2014/03/11/white-women-affirmative-action/

http://madamenoire.com/282653/studies-show-affirmative-action-helps-white-women-more-than-others/

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56a0ef6ae4b0d8cc1098d3a5

Here are some myths and facts about AA that might also interest people:
http://www.understandingprejudice.org/readroom/articles/affirm.htm

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What about affirmative action for persons with disabilities that have significant impact on life activities. Is that still ok

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Koalas March posted:

Last time I checked AA benefited white women more than any other group, so how is this racist against white folks again?

I seem to find that most people against AA dont understand how it works (or is supposed to work).

Have two equal applicants. Yes. One of them a minority? Pick the minority.

White male will still get to go to another school. If he wants to cry about not getting into his first choice because there's an institutional imbalance that needs to be corrected and this is one of the few ways we are even allowed to try to fix it, gently caress him.

Wait, what? Is this true? How could that be true? Universities already accept more women than men. If AA is to apply to a gender, surely it should be in the interests of achieving parity (i.e. accepting more men than they currently do), not worsening the inequity.

I mean, I don't know that we need AA for gender, but using AA to disproportionately benefit the group that already sees the majority of admissions is patently absurd.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Jimbozig posted:

Wait, what? Is this true? How could that be true? Universities already accept more women than men. If AA is to apply to a gender, surely it should be in the interests of achieving parity (i.e. accepting more men than they currently do), not worsening the inequity.

I mean, I don't know that we need AA for gender, but using AA to disproportionately benefit the group that already sees the majority of admissions is patently absurd.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/25/11682950/fisher-supreme-court-white-women-affirmative-action?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If they were the most qualified applicant there's no issue. The only one responsible for making sure you're qualified is you. If there are revealed to be racist reasons the DOJ should loving crush the company/school and make an example.

The problem is that unless you can prove that the company is being racist, which is pretty much impossible unless you have them on record saying they're racist and that's why they're not hiring POC, it's impossible for the DOJ do to gently caress all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Today's going to be fun on twitter for hot takemen who only read headlines.

https://twitter.com/JTTriguero/status/745996490884055041

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Is there a highlights reel of the House speeches last night? They sounded like a blast.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

Is there a highlights reel of the House speeches last night? They sounded like a blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxw07hNd7qA&t=109s

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Looks like gun control actually worked, huh" hasn't been a popular response to receive but it sure has been a fun one to give

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Literally a child's argument, wooooooo

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Epic High Five posted:

"Looks like gun control actually worked, huh" hasn't been a popular response to receive but it sure has been a fun one to give

But think of how much more fun it would be if the entire theater whipped out guns and fired back!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Slate Action posted:

"Majority opinion is 20 pages; Alito's dissent is 50 pages"

:qq:

Literally qq'ing

I LOVE IT MAGGLE

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It sounds like you don't understand that racial bias can make them give preferential treatment based on race even if they don't know it. Whether someone knowingly or unknowingly gives preferential treatment to an applicant based on race, affirmative action is a good system for evening out those discrepancies.

Some day when racism is truly dead we may not need it anymore but racism is clearly alive and well, so we do need it. Maybe you're not racist. Maybe your boss isn't But, a whole lot of people are racist as hell and we need systems and programs to fight it.

Also, as a society, many of us accept that diversity, of all kinds, is a good thing. Does the desire for diversity sometimes conflict with the desire for maximal competence? Sure! However, diversity is a net good for everyone except those who thrive in and desire an environment of homogeneous whiteness.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Now Politico is on the Tim Kaine wagon. All aboard for Kainementum. :geno:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

This seems really naive. How do you prove that someone's reasons are racist, short of the really dumb racists who leave a paper trail of how much they hate the negros?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

C) I don't buy in to your slippery slope bullshit

Slippery slopes are a pretty real concern in legal systems, actually

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

zoux posted:

Today's going to be fun on twitter for hot takemen who only read headlines.

https://twitter.com/JTTriguero/status/745996490884055041

Oh I think the hot takes will dry up pretty fast when people realize that the police killed a confused person with maybe a toy gun and all the injuries were from police tear gas.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is affirmative action racist if it is for persons with disabilities

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Arrgytehpirate posted:

As I understand it if there are two applicants equal in all aspects you hire/accept the minority. I think this part is fine.

That's not how AA works, though. Fischer's argument was based on the fact that less-qualified individuals were placed ahead of her because their race was factored in in such a way that it offset their relative lack of qualification compared to her test scores.

This is actually a good thing because a lack of qualification may not be due to lack of aptitude.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

Is affirmative action racist if it is for persons with disabilities

Yes, but only because I loving hate truncated domes on every god damned project I do.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Now Politico is on the Tim Kaine wagon. All aboard for Kainementum. :geno:

I met Tim Kaine back when he was running for Governor. He's a nice guy and is very genuine, but man he's boring as hell.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That's not how AA works, though. Fischer's argument was based on the fact that less-qualified individuals were placed ahead of her because their race was factored in in such a way that it offset their relative lack of qualification compared to her test scores.

This is actually a good thing because a lack of qualification may not be due to lack of aptitude.

Yeah, your second point is a really important one. People don't seem to understand that metrics for "aptitude" that aren't "literally do the thing and see how good you are at it" are largely arbitrary. Having a laser focus on qualifications and pretending that tiny percentage points are important somehow is a huge mistake that most people seem to make.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Weren't her test scores also not all that great?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/SheBeShonuff/status/745985599815835649

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

I loving hate truncated domes
You shouldn't call them that.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lemming posted:

Yeah, your second point is a really important one. People don't seem to understand that metrics for "aptitude" that aren't "literally do the thing and see how good you are at it" are largely arbitrary. Having a laser focus on qualifications and pretending that tiny percentage points are important somehow is a huge mistake that most people seem to make.

Most people, definitely most suburban white kids, are told that you go to school, you get good test scores, you go to college, and you get everything you want forever. This is just another outgrowth of "But I was promised things!" just like the whole student loan debt forgiveness thing and everything else white millennials whine about. Not that student loans aren't worth whining about, it's just that they're only whined about because loans were taken out because the kids were promised the (white) american dream and then in 2007 we woke up, or at least tossed and turned a bit.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/746016959477743616

Lol

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.stripes.com/news/gun-control-group-enlists-petraeus-and-other-vets-to-help-curb-violence-1.414754

this could make the gun control discussion a bit more interesting, not many groups can truly challenge the NRA. Having Petraeus and Kelly on there is pretty legit, even given Petraeus' issues.

Fwiw veterans in general have no love for petraeus or mcchrystal

Lugnut Seatcushion fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Noam Chomsky posted:

Weren't her test scores also not all that great?

Correct. But her argument was that minorities with worse test scores were accepted.

Or in other words, that less qualified individuals should not have been accepted before she was (because UT doesn't just consider test grades when considering who to accept)

• Locked thread