Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If they were the most qualified applicant there's no issue. The only one responsible for making sure you're qualified is you. If there are revealed to be racist reasons the DOJ should loving crush the company/school and make an example.

Even having a black sounding name can hurt your chances of getting a job vs an equally qualified candidate http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thanks guys. I didn't mean to start another shitstorm but at least we're finally off gun control!

Nobody is off of gun control, stop trying to sweep it under the rug.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone have a good even-keeled analysis of the GOP ACA replacement plan? I realize it's likely poo poo, but I wanted to take a look.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Ahh yes the good old equality of opportunity is not good enough argument. It's all about equality of outcome now I hear.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Well there is certainly a difference between hiring affirmative action benefiting women in fields that are still male-dominated, and applying affirmative action to favor women in university admissions where they are already significantly in the majority. I feel like that article is a) conflating all AA into one amorphous blob, and b) generalizing a heck of a lot when they say poo poo like "but white women hate it!"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.stripes.com/news/gun-control-group-enlists-petraeus-and-other-vets-to-help-curb-violence-1.414754

this could make the gun control discussion a bit more interesting, not many groups can truly challenge the NRA. Having Petraeus and Kelly on there is pretty legit, even given Petraeus' issues.

"Hmmm, yes, statists who liked being the armed wing of the authoritarian government want only the state to have weapons. loving figures! *buys guns*"

-2A hardliners.

Also lol Petraeus. McChrystal has some fans at least.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boon posted:

Anyone have a good even-keeled analysis of the GOP ACA replacement plan? I realize it's likely poo poo, but I wanted to take a look.

The GOP replacement plan does not actually exist. They talk about it in generalities, but have never put forth a specific proposal.

Jon Chait has a pretty good take-down here: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Everything Except an Actual Plan

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cravius posted:

Ahh yes the good old equality of opportunity is not good enough argument. It's all about equality of outcome now I hear.

Equality of opportunity would be good enough, if it existed. But it doesn't.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Now Politico is on the Tim Kaine wagon. All aboard for Kainementum. :geno:

Well duh and hello.

Deteriorata posted:

The GOP replacement plan does not actually exist. They talk about it in generalities, but have never put forth a specific proposal.

Jon Chait has a pretty good take-down here: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Everything Except an Actual Plan

It's basically like their economic proposal that was really a 10 page power point of mostly made up graphs.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
It's almost as if Paul Ryan is a big fat phony.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Correct. But her argument was that minorities with worse test scores were accepted.

Or in other words, that less qualified individuals should not have been accepted before she was (because UT doesn't just consider test grades when considering who to accept)

Yeah, I figured.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

You shouldn't call them that.

Sorry, "detectable warning surface".

PC gone mad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/746024249102573568

Wrapping up.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've never really heard anyone bad mouth McChrystal until the gun control poo poo. By and large veterans have disliked Petraeus since he skated on the sharing classified intel thing. Not that he shared it mind you, that the military didn't crush him like they have enlisted for far far lesser and not on purpose fuckups related to classified material.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've never really heard anyone bad mouth McChrystal until the gun control poo poo. By and large veterans have disliked Petraeus since he skated on the sharing classified intel thing. Not that he shared it mind you, that the military didn't crush him like they have enlisted for far far lesser and not on purpose fuckups related to classified material.

McChrystal is a giant rear end in a top hat

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MrChupon posted:

Nobody is off of gun control, stop trying to sweep it under the rug.

Why don't you try sitting on the rug.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

#staymadabby

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23StayMadAbby

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Also re: guns. I like them and think we should be allowed to own as many of whatever type we want but maybe let's not make it a same day kinda deal. Perhaps a week delay to let a background check run and also so people who are crazy mad are maybe not so crazy mad a week later.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Deteriorata posted:

Thanks. Hilarious and depressing.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's almost as if Paul Ryan is a big fat phony.

Woh, easy there Holden.

He totally is

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

#beckywiththebadgrades is also p good

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Poor Jordan. People in my age range (31) know him as one of the greatest athletes of all time and to people ten years younger than us all he's known for is crying.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Xarthor posted:

Poor Jordan. People in my age range (31) know him as one of the greatest athletes of all time and to people ten years younger than us all he's known for is crying.

Not true, he's also known for Space Jam.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

thexerox123 posted:

Not true, he's also known for Space Jam.

And bringing back the Hitler 'stache.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Also for coming back as a wizard like Gandalf the Black.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Also for coming back as a wizard like Gandalf the Black.

Also for destroying Adam Morrison and Kwame Brown.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Until July 5th

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Also re: guns. I like them and think we should be allowed to own as many of whatever type we want but maybe let's not make it a same day kinda deal. Perhaps a week delay to let a background check run and also so people who are crazy mad are maybe not so crazy mad a week later.

You could buy a fleshlight instead, it'll be more in tune with realistic fantasies at the very least

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Until July 5th

The iron won't be hot then.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lol and nothing was accomplished

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My biggest takeaway from this is that the Congress starts their July 4th vacation on June 23rd.

Congressmen must privately laugh at the idea of "three day weekends."

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Boon posted:

No such thing exists.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They got a bunch of Republicans to say and do stupid things like call John Lewis a "terrorist" and refusing to even vote on or debate things that the overwhelming majority of Americans want. So it probably wasn't entirely pointless come November.

Which isn't to say its going to shift elections or anything. But it will end up being a chip going forward.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xarthor posted:

Michael Jordan is a colossal rear end in a top hat and anything that can be done to lessen his image is fine by me. I hope Lebron wins 4 more championships in Cleveland so he can poo poo all over Jordan.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

STAC Goat posted:

My biggest takeaway from this is that the Congress starts their July 4th vacation on June 23rd.

Congressmen must privately laugh at the idea of "three day weekends."

To be fair, in theory, the long and frequent breaks are so congresspeople can spend a lot of time back in their districts.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I don't understand. What do Republicans have to lose by holding a vote on gun control in the House where it'll fail?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They got the footage for the ads.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

CortezFantastic posted:

You could buy a fleshlight instead, it'll be more in tune with realistic fantasies at the very least

Nice one!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

I don't understand. What do Republicans have to lose by holding a vote on gun control in the House where it'll fail?

"My opponent voted against a bill to keep machine guns out of the hands of ISIS" from the left "My opponent voted to expand an unconstitutional watch list to deny 2nd Amendment rights" from the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

zoux posted:

It's also intended to help rural students compete against urban students.

Nobody tell Dick Armey about Bob Hope and Steve Jobs

"God damned septuagenarian juvenile delinquents!" :bahgawd:

• Locked thread