Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Not technically a game, but thanks to Just Cause 2 I can no longer think about Microsoft's new Project Scorpio without hearing it in a thick polynesian accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
their project names are always better than the official console name

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Somfin posted:

Yeah they went digging for stuff to be offended by, that sounds likely

Or maybe someone realised that she had access to the source code, went digging for cool hidden or unimplemented features, then stumbled onto something that made her feel unwelcome

Nah, probably the first thing

Did you read my post and go, oh he's using words like cyberpunk he must be making a joke of some kind

or did you immediately try and get as offended as possible which is ironic considering the context of my post

e: nvm I read further down the page and you guys start arguing about conservatives and GBS and stuff like

Strategic Tea posted:

It's not the right, it's leftists who are jealous that gays and women got rights while the 'murder the rich heh but only ironically of course' movement got ignored.

in a thread about things dragging video games down so you guys might not be as ironic as I thought

ArtIsResistance has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Jun 22, 2016

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Let's a talk about games!

I just started the Witcher 3 this afternoon and i'm enjoying the atmosphere and prettiness of it and it is actually nicely varied despite being an open world game, a genre which has developed a fairly standard bullet point list of features.

However, the game does have the traditional layer of Eastern Europe dev jank we've all come to expect. I'm using a DS4 with my PC and the game keeps switching between PlayStation and Xbox button prompts constantly. Geralt moves really weird, his shoulders stay squared and his legs just pump away underneath him. The lock on in fights works occasionally but mostly doesn't work and i've been hit an awful lot of times trying to get locked on to an enemy standing right in front of me. The combat itself is fairly whatever. Getting on the horse is finicky because there seems to be rather small 'hotspots' where the button prompt will appear to let you do that. There's a few more little annoyances but those are the ones i can remember right now

It's a good game and i'm enjoying it but it is rather rough around the edges.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morpheus posted:

Not technically a game, but thanks to Just Cause 2 I can no longer think about Microsoft's new Project Scorpio without hearing it in a thick polynesian accent.

Bolo Santosi made Mass Effect 3 a lot funnier than it should have been in my head.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jun 23, 2016

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

examples lah

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I have exactly two things I didn't like about Paper Mario 2. I love that game to death but it over plays the whole paper joke. NPCs constantly wink at the camera and go OH MAN WHO WOULD EVER TURN INTO PAPER and jokes like that have just always bothered me because I'm the worst, games that always make jokes about being a game bother me too. Second thing is that you travel between the Glitz Pit and other areas a lot for some side quests and the transit scenes take forever. :shrug: It's probably a good sign that these two relatively petty things are the only real issues I have with the game because it, and the first one, are really drat fun to play.

I'm sorry, I know this was a while ago.

Can you give some examples of them overdoing the paper joke because for the life of me I can't think of any examples beyond the curse chests.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sorry, I know this was a while ago.

Can you give some examples of them overdoing the paper joke because for the life of me I can't think of any examples beyond the curse chests.

I think he's the only NPC that actively talks about it, but a lot of the effects are over done with paper stuff like when the ghost blows things away they tear off like a page, turning into paper boats and stuff and most characters fluttering down when they fall long distances. In the first game things like that only happened a few times like in the beginning and they didn't really constantly bring up that oh man everything is made of paper guys. But like I said, it's just a small thing that doesn't make the game less fun, both paper mario games still rock.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Dying Light has child Zombies but Dead Island has non ingame, offscreen is another matter.
One of the skills in Dying Light has you rubbing zombie guts over your face as a temporary camouflage to zombies.
I think they patched it out but you could rub child-zombie guts all over yourself using this skill.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I think he's the only NPC that actively talks about it, but a lot of the effects are over done with paper stuff like when the ghost blows things away they tear off like a page, turning into paper boats and stuff and most characters fluttering down when they fall long distances. In the first game things like that only happened a few times like in the beginning and they didn't really constantly bring up that oh man everything is made of paper guys. But like I said, it's just a small thing that doesn't make the game less fun, both paper mario games still rock.

Ah gotcha, I could think of anything that really banged on over and over about 'HEY THE WORLD'S MADE OF PAPER DO YOU GET IT YET?!!!' like the impression I was getting from you. Thanks!

Anyway, in Overwatch pretty much anyone from a non-English country will say a good amount of their lines in their native language. Except for Reaper, Torbjörn, and Lúcio I believe. I may be getting facts wrong but I think Reaper's lines are taken from European Spanish which is different from Latin American Spanish and that sounds more like this.

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o8l3xlaZJt1r93b19_480.mp4#_=_

I don't think there's a way to activate this in America.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Nettles Coterie posted:

This is probably a weird/stupid complaint, but I really hate when a game has a song/singer that's supposed to be ~so amazing and beautiful~ but in actuality the song sucks major poo poo. My most recent source of rage for this is Fire Emblem Fates, which has this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5NTPLMqXQ sung by one of the characters over, and over, and over throughout the story. And of course my main character fawns all over how beautiful it is. gently caress you, game! That song is AWFUL. The singing sucks, the arrangement sucks, the lyrics are garbage bullshit and there are way too many loving words crammed into each line. It comes up way too frequently in the game too, and every single time I have to turn the sound off until it's over. It sounds like they stole it off of some 14-year-old's DeviantArt account.

Also I can force my soldiers to get married and have babies that instantly turn into adults and join my army, and then also get married, potentially to me. That's pretty weird.

Man, you just took me back to Lunar: Silver Star Story memories. The "Amazing Singer" was so bad.

A lot of that, I'm sure, is poor translation from Japanese, and a minor-league singer; leading to absurd lyrics and slightly off-tone singing.

I just experienced it again in Valkyria Chronicles, when one player sang at a funeral.

Valkyria Chronicles, by the way: Halfway through the game, you realize there are really 3 tactical options:
a) Approach a level with a basic understanding of tactics games, until the level thows a story twist at you and messes you up - making you restart (e.g. say an invincible unit that one-shots whomever she pleases)
b) Inch along with the best mix of crew you can think of, as slowly as possible, taking many extra steps to make it to the end without retrying it 3-4 times
c - the best option) Buff a single scout with every defensive order, and run into the enemy camp absorbing and shrugging off bullets from half a dozen troops, tanks and turrets along the way.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Now I'm reminded of case 3 of Apollo Justice. Without touching on how stupid the premise for the case is (beyond the characters themselves pointing it out), one of the centerpieces of the case is a video of a concert performance. Since it was the first Ace Attorney game that was developed for the DS, the video just consists of a really tinny "voice"... And since it's so integral to the case, you're going to be seeing it a lot.

There's a reason that many fans think the third case of each game is the weakest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I didn't personally mind the Valkyria Chronicles one, just because in that case mediocrity kinda works. She was a tavern performer drafted into the military, singing at a funeral--she wasn't going to be stellar.

The problem is that they put these musical numbers in cutscenes, sometimes unskippable, so you have to sit through it. The quality of Rosie's song is excusable, the fact I have to listen to the whole thing while watching flashbacks (including to the cutscene just passed) is not.

Which is why Bravely Default does this best. The singer isn't given a center-stage musical number, and is a JPop style starlet. So all that means is the background music of a scene with her is really trashy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And then the sidequest involving Praline in the sequel has a one-off battle theme if you side against her that's kind of an earworm.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

Man, you just took me back to Lunar: Silver Star Story memories. The "Amazing Singer" was so bad.

A lot of that, I'm sure, is poor translation from Japanese, and a minor-league singer; leading to absurd lyrics and slightly off-tone singing.

I think Dragon Age: Origins did it best since everyone in camp is just sort of cringing and/or scowling when Leliana does her song.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maybe the standards are just lower in fantasy worlds. They don't have a Beyoncé or .

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I believe there was the first Dragon Age where they try, and fail, to have a singing scene where the singer doesn't emote or breath, using the "best" character-models of 2009.

I haven't played Fire Emblem in years, and while it is reasonable it has to shake-up its formula to attract a wider audience, it sadly looks it's heading towards the Anime-Singularity, where it tries to appeal to loving everyone by cramming niches together only to end up with a product that's off-putting by the degree it panders.

I'd kill for a Japanese game with an art-style like Naoki Urasawa. Big noses for everyone.

edit: Too slow with the Dragon Age comment.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Jun 23, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I believe there was the first Dragon Age where they try, and fail, to have a singing scene where the singer doesn't emote or breath, using the "best" character-models of 2009.

I haven't played Fire Emblem in years, and while it is reasonable it has to shake-up its formula to attract a wider audience, it sadly looks it's heading towards the Anime-Singularity, where it tries to appeal to loving everyone by cramming niches together only to end up with a product that's off-putting by the degree it panders.

I'd kill for a Japanese game with an art-style like Naoki Urasawa. Big noses for everyone.

edit: Too slow with the Dragon Age comment.

Telltale presents Monster.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Regalingualius posted:

And then the sidequest involving Praline in the sequel has a one-off battle theme if you side against her that's kind of an earworm.

Going the other way on that sidequest leads to the reverse, where the theme you're told is basically just garbage with heart is actually pretty good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In Darkest Dungeon heroes have three ranks they move through as they level up: apprentices, veterans, and champions.

Dungeons are also ranked at apprentice, veteran, or champion levels.

Heroes can only go into dungeons that are the same rank as they are, and the game has permadeath. So if you lose a high-level character you can't just have an apprentice tag along with a higher level party to quickly catch up to where the old unit was, you have to create a completely new party of apprentices and slowly grind back up in apprentice dungeons. It's a decision that seems to exist for no reason other than to waste the player's time and make losing a character an even bigger hassle.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I think Dragon Age: Origins did it best since everyone in camp is just sort of cringing and/or scowling when Leliana does her song.

Also apparently studio effects are available to a singer in the middle of the wilderness in Thedas.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
When they all do that group song in dragon age inquisition I was more embarrassed then I've ever been before playing a video game. I'm not convinced they didn't make it embarrassing on purpose.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

When they all do that group song in dragon age inquisition I was more embarrassed then I've ever been before playing a video game. I'm not convinced they didn't make it embarrassing on purpose.

I'm almost convinced Bioware is testing their fanbase like Job.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

In Darkest Dungeon heroes have three ranks they move through as they level up: apprentices, veterans, and champions.

Dungeons are also ranked at apprentice, veteran, or champion levels.

Heroes can only go into dungeons that are the same rank as they are, and the game has permadeath. So if you lose a high-level character you can't just have an apprentice tag along with a higher level party to quickly catch up to where the old unit was, you have to create a completely new party of apprentices and slowly grind back up in apprentice dungeons. It's a decision that seems to exist for no reason other than to waste the player's time and make losing a character an even bigger hassle.

:darksouls:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well you can (or at least could) bring low level heroes into a high level dungeon, but they start out super stressed, and too much stress can kill the unit on its own. high level heroes won't go into low level dungeons because it's "beneath them."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lotish posted:

high level heroes won't go into low level dungeons because it's "beneath them."

I don't play the game and this infuriates me. Do the DD guys sit down with a white board and go "How else can we add tedium to the game?"

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Leal posted:

Do the DD guys sit down with a white board and go "How else can we add tedium to the game?"

To my knowledge, it was the ~hardcore~ alpha testers that did that. The devs just didn't know any better than to cave to their suggestions.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Leal posted:

I don't play the game and this infuriates me. Do the DD guys sit down with a white board and go "How else can we add tedium to the game?"
this is pretty much exactly what they do, yes. It's not even a hard game it's just constantly irritating

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If I'm remembering right I wasn't able to skip the scene either no matter how hard I tried.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr E posted:

If I'm remembering right I wasn't able to skip the scene either no matter how hard I tried.

I know the escape key worked for me on PC.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this is pretty much exactly what they do, yes. It's not even a hard game it's just constantly irritating

Go into more detail, I was interested in it at first. I heard about heart attacks and corpses but I thought that the game was extremely modifiable like Don't Starve. In that game you can increase the prevalence of things like flowers, rabbits, straw, sticks etc if you want. I thought DD had most of the stuff on a toggle if you wanted.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RareAcumen posted:

Go into more detail, I was interested in it at first. I heard about heart attacks and corpses but I thought that the game was extremely modifiable like Don't Starve. In that game you can increase the prevalence of things like flowers, rabbits, straw, sticks etc if you want. I thought DD had most of the stuff on a toggle if you wanted.

It was an early access game and they just kept listening to the hardcore who wanted more and more frustrating mechanics.

It has toggles but not nearly to the degree of don't starve and doesn't really fix the fundamental issues.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My first exposure to this scene was having to watch it over...and over...and over again because the game frequently crashed during cutscenes shortly after launch. I say shortly but it took them like a month to fix that IIRC. And it's loooong. The entire scene comprises the conversation with Giselle, the sing-along, the conversation with Solas, the cutscene of the Inquisitor exploring the tundra, and finally the crowning of your character as Inquisitor with no auto-saves in between. It kept crashing on that last part so I had to keep doing the earlier bits like half a dozen times.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

My first exposure to this scene was having to watch it over...and over...and over again because the game frequently crashed during cutscenes shortly after launch. I say shortly but it took them like a month to fix that IIRC. And it's loooong. The entire scene comprises the conversation with Giselle, the sing-along, the conversation with Solas, the cutscene of the Inquisitor exploring the tundra, and finally the crowning of your character as Inquisitor with no auto-saves in between. It kept crashing on that last part so I had to keep doing the earlier bits like half a dozen times.

It took me far too long to understand this post and I wondered if I'd played a very, very different version of Darkest Dungeon.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Don't forget that an adventurer would also only be able to complete one of the three darkest dungeons. After that they would refuse to run any of the final dungeons, so you had to grind up three different end tier teams, even if you never lose anyone.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RareAcumen posted:

At its core it's basically a cell phone game w/r/t how much of the game is based on RNGs and grinding and babysitting meters, only its even more baffling because at least cell phone games are like that in the name of pushing in-app purchases while DD does it in the name of being hardcore.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Haven't seen this, but have you ever played Devil May Cry 4? About half the cutscenes in that game are cringeworthy enough that I physically couldn't stand to watch them. Especially the scene where one of the main bad guys starts doing some sort of Shakespearean play type thing for no reason and good lord is it terrible.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nuebot posted:

"Y'know, the concept of paper is coming up a lot in this game called Paper Mario and it's really starting to chafe my rear end."

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Haven't seen this, but have you ever played Devil May Cry 4? About half the cutscenes in that game are cringeworthy enough that I physically couldn't stand to watch them. Especially the scene where one of the main bad guys starts doing some sort of Shakespearean play type thing for no reason and good lord is it terrible.

This is the most wrong opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's so weird seeing the rerelease of DMC4 being hailed as a modern classic when the original game got a ton of poo poo at launch for being anime as gently caress with a boring new protagonist on top of the bad level design and recycling/backtracking. I'm sure backlash against the western DmC game had a lot to do you th it but still.