Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Zephyrine posted:

The leg pieces are the toughest because my current ones both have +10% runspeed which means I blaze through the wasteland like the atomic runner.

One of my many mods dropped a full X-01 suit into the game that I stumbled upon and all of the pieces had +10% run speed. I scream through the wasteland. I've also found out that run speed translates to jet pack speed, so I can get everywhere really quick.

Even more hilarious is when you add the reduced AP for sprinting servos to the legs, you can move from Sanctuary to Diamond City in about 5 real minutes flat. (And if you add overdrive servos that increase run speed, you hit every object you can see on screen in about 5 seconds....and then you have no more fusion core left. :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I hope they expand on the build your own settlement stuff in the next elder scrolls game. Maybe instead of a whole bunch of pointless not really connected settlements we'll be able to build up a castle/keep and have it be something that ties in to the actual game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

it's not a big chunk of gameplay. it's optional. there's really no need to cheat in a bethesda game at all.

Just because there's no need doesn't mean cheating doesn't make the experience 100% better.

Try settlement building with godmode enabled, it's a dream. For me it's a creative exercise and being confined by stuff like build limit and resources isn't fun.

Reason posted:

I hope they expand on the build your own settlement stuff in the next elder scrolls game. Maybe instead of a whole bunch of pointless not really connected settlements we'll be able to build up a castle/keep and have it be something that ties in to the actual game.

I'd be fine with some sort of Create-a-Keep feature but I'd rather it be distinct from settlement building in Fallout - nothing goofy or stupid, not Minecrafty. Maybe take more inspiration from Heathfire home building but expand on the freedom and options.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 23, 2016

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
So this vacuum hopper, it can't suck parts out of crafting stations, only plain containers? What a stupid decision.

e: hm apparently it will pull from the actual workbench but now I can't figure out how to make it stop pulling everything instead of just the ingredients for my builder.

boneration fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 23, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

boneration posted:

So this vacuum hopper, it can't suck parts ouf of crafting stations, only plain containers? What a stupid decision.

It can suck parts out of the main (immovable) workshop.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

I was working on the "Lost patrol" quest. Sadly everyone was dead. No survivors. They obviously died long before I came out of the vault.

Anyway I found this sweet uniform

But the look is undermined by any sort of armour I have found so far. Has anyone else here found a set that matches in theme or colour?

The leg pieces are the toughest because my current ones both have +10% runspeed which means I blaze through the wasteland like the atomic runner.

Get the Custom Combat Armor mod and you can paint Combat armor any colour you want. You can even give Piper a 'DIAMOND CITY PRESS' decal, or put the concentric rings of friendship on Preston!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How much worse is the gunplay in Fallout New Vegas? I might go buy it today. Is it worth buying the ultimate edition vs regular?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

sector_corrector posted:

Can you pick-pocket it? Or is it part of Bethesda's patented "no fun" game design where it's hidden in an inaccessible vendor safe somewhere?

There are two guards wearing it outside of the Nucleus. Once you do the first quest and gain admission, the named NPC goes inside. After that it's easy to stealth kill the guards and steal the armor. You'll end up with a full suit with a few pieces left over for a companion. There's another guard in the High Confessor's room that's easy to stealth kill too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Spacebump posted:

How much worse is the gunplay in Fallout New Vegas? I might go buy it today. Is it worth buying the ultimate edition vs regular?

Almost unimaginably. But it's a fantastic game, nonetheless. The DLC is great too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

2house2fly posted:

Making it so you have to sacrifice weapon damage or Barter perks to get all the benefits of crafting seems like one of the game's few nods to being an RPG

That'd be true if it was its own tree. If you're a melee build that has no intention of using power armor, taking 6 int and science! just so you can build a decent power source is a sacrifice.

If you're playing some power armored energy weapons dude, you get it as a side effect and don't sacrifice poo poo.

And tying the crafting benches to local leader is just dumb and doesn't even make much RPG sense. Tie those to the crafting skills. "Sorry, you have to be super charismatic to build a forge"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

Significantly, but the inverse is true of NV's story and roleplaying potential (if you care about that sort of thing).

If you just play with melee or unarmed then there's virtually no difference! Actually NV does melee and unarmed quite a bit better than 4

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I bought and have played f4 on the ps4, mostly because my PC at the time was ancient. Since then I bought a relatively new box and I'm thinking about buying it for PC. I dunno how it will perform though and I'm also sitting on the sunk cost of the game plus the season pass on ps4. There's no demo, so I can't really see for myself how it would do. I played the DOOM demo though and it was loving silk. Can anyone tell me how F4 compares to DOOM performance-wise?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Canuck-Errant posted:

Get the Custom Combat Armor mod and you can paint Combat armor any colour you want. You can even give Piper a 'DIAMOND CITY PRESS' decal, or put the concentric rings of friendship on Preston!

I have never managed to install a mod for this game. I'm just waiting for that official mod thing to be released.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 23, 2016

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Spacebump posted:

New Vegas has worse graphics than Fallout 4, a comparable radio (I.E. pretty bad), and better almost-everything-else.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Backhand posted:

New Vegas has worse graphics than Fallout 4, a comparable radio (I.E. pretty bad), and better almost-everything-else.

New Vegas I actually listened to the radio for most of the game, I ended up turning it off for the most part in Fallout 4.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Backhand posted:

, a comparable radio (I.E. pretty bad)
The one thing I really liked about New Vegas radio is that Mr. New Vegas almost never talks about the player. He talks about stuff you do and doesn't really make a connection that it's the same person.

It really bothered me that Travis talks about the heroic Vault Dweller when my character hasn't even gone to Diamond City yet.

I think he also does more to sort of shape the world.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is NV backwards compatible on the XBone yet?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Is NV backwards compatible on the XBone yet?

It was added today.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spacebump posted:

It was added today.

Oh wow, literally today? That's awesome :)

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Reason posted:

You gotta start somewhere. I give Bethesda credit for even taking this on and there's no reason to expect they wouldn't build upon the significance of settlement building since making order out of chaos is central to most playing styles.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Reason posted:

poo poo yes that would be awesome. I liked the house stuff in skyrim, but it didn't really have any effect. Helping a community, making it secure and securing food and trade with other settlements would be fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Plus, with Elder Scrolls you have magic.
Hell yeah this town is cool as poo poo. I better protect it with mystical runes and floating crystals that shoot lightning.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'd be happy with a UI that isn't just the player character running around on the ground.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The GIG posted:

I'd be happy with a UI that isn't just the player character running around on the ground.

What do you mean?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I never really liked that the build system in FO4 is just pulling up a menu and doing everything from the player characters view point. Personally killed me ever doing anything more than just plopping whatever I need for a settlement on what ground there is and calling it a day. It just felt way too slapdash and made more complicated builds a pain in my eyes. I would have loved a layered overhead view or a free floating camera that you could move where ever.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So I was interested in buying this now that it's on sale, should I bother with any of the DLC if I do?

Are they like the old DLC in F3 or more like NV?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The GIG posted:

I never really liked that the build system in FO4 is just pulling up a menu and doing everything from the player characters view point. Personally killed me ever doing anything more than just plopping whatever I need for a settlement on what ground there is and calling it a day. It just felt way too slapdash and made more complicated builds a pain in my eyes. I would have loved a layered overhead view or a free floating camera that you could move where ever.

I know it's not the official way to do it but you can detach the camera and float around at will.
Also, I don't think anything should be built without using foundations first. I know I didn't the first go around because I didn't know what they did.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Koorisch posted:

So I was interested in buying this now that it's on sale, should I bother with any of the DLC if I do?

Are they like the old DLC in F3 or more like NV?

Better than FO3, worse than FONV, in my opinion. But only 2 storyline DLC so far, 1 upcoming.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

Better than FO3, worse than FONV, in my opinion. But only 2 storyline DLC so far, 1 upcoming.

So which ones would you suggest I get that are worth the cost?

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 23, 2016

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Koorisch posted:

So which ones would you suggest I get that aren't just cosmetic?

Automatron is cool if you like the idea of a customizable robot companion. Far Harbor is a really big and has lots of quests, but personally I haven't found any items or companions in it that I'd use back on the mainland.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I just finished MacCready's side quest, what's the easiest way to get his perk now?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Did they ever fix that perk so it doesn't give you 2000% VATS headshot accuracy?

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

The one thing I really liked about New Vegas radio is that Mr. New Vegas almost never talks about the player. He talks about stuff you do and doesn't really make a connection that it's the same person.

It really bothered me that Travis talks about the heroic Vault Dweller when my character hasn't even gone to Diamond City yet.

I think he also does more to sort of shape the world.

Personally I can't stand Travis, every time I hear his dumb voice on the radio it just makes me want to turn it off. Like the radio in the previous fallout games may not have been great, but at least they didn't have completely terrible DJs. It just mystifies me how Bethesda thought it was a good idea to have a DJ whose whole schtick is having a terrible personality for radio.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Does anyone else think the food paste ghouls give an unusually large amount for experience. For how easy they are to kill?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Deified Data posted:

Did they ever fix that perk so it doesn't give you 2000% VATS headshot accuracy?

Sadly yes, so I'm just leaving his rear end in the pub this time around.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Koldenblue posted:

Personally I can't stand Travis, every time I hear his dumb voice on the radio it just makes me want to turn it off. Like the radio in the previous fallout games may not have been great, but at least they didn't have completely terrible DJs. It just mystifies me how Bethesda thought it was a good idea to have a DJ whose whole schtick is having a terrible personality for radio.

Travis still cracks me up and I am postponing his transformation as long as possible on this playthrough. "So that was, uh, Maybe by the Ink Spots . . . I mean, it was definitely by the Ink Spots, but, I mean . . ."

Spacebump posted:

I just finished MacCready's side quest, what's the easiest way to get his perk now?

If you haven't already done the warehouses in Goodneighbor or Longneck's Cannery, those have lots of things to steal. Betraying Bobbi No-Nose helps. Also, getting (even if you don't finish) a bunch of quests where you can successfully negotiate for higher caps.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Koldenblue posted:

Travis's schtick is that you mold him from a sadsack into a stereotypical radio personality like Three Dog, but I honestly prefer his old autistic self and go out of my way to avoid that questline.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mokinokaro posted:

I used them fine with concrete. You do have to use the "upper floor" pieces to avoid wall gaps between floors though.

Yeah, I tried that the last time you suggested it but it still doesn't line up. I'd love to know what you're doing because as far as I can tell no one else on the internet can figure it out.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Him cracking up at Rocket 69 because funny sex number like a loser makes it impossible for me to hate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Travis's schtick is that you mold him from a sadsack into a stereotypical radio personality like Three Dog, but I honestly prefer his old autistic self and go out of my way to avoid that questline.

I haven't actually finished that quest yet, I suppose I should finish it before complaining more, but still... the very first time I fired up Fallout 4 and heard Travis on the radio, I was just like "WTF is this poo poo" and turned it off after like a minute. Now I just kind of tolerate him.

Also, one of my favorite moments from this game: I am in power armor at a settlement. Another settler, the only other person wearing power armor, asks me "Power Armor? Is that really necessary?" In dozens of hours of playtime, that is the only time I've ever heard that line.

• Locked thread