Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
It can. It might not. 3 months is how long to wait and evaluate the body's response. If she's still having undesirable side effects after 3 months, then it will be appropriate to discuss a switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Probably not the answer she'll want to hear, but I guess it is what it is. Thanks.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

It's important for you to note that there are a ton of different types of pills and other methods of BC that basically boil down to different mixtures of hormones. Some women have really bad side effects with certain types of pills and none at all with others. Your gf is going to need to accept that she will have to monitor her symptoms and how happy she is on that method of BC, and be willing to switch if it's not working out for her. Her very blase attitude towards this sounds like a bit of a red flag, if she's just willing to go with the first thing suggested without question. You two should really be looking into this a bit more, especially if she is totally unwilling to abort should the BC fail. That said, if you continue to use condoms and she uses the BC properly, you really won't have much to worry about.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's less that she doesn't care and more that she never had to look into it or do any research. She grew up religious and didn't have sex at all until she met me. I'm sure abstinence-only sex ed is all she got. The fact that PP was pretty much just "Here's a prescription" without actually taking any time to educate her or go over her options is the part that was raising red flags for me and prompted me to ask in the thread.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I can relate to her on that a bit. I was raised evangelical fundamentalist with shoddy sex ed. I didn't question the first BC script Planned Parenthood of Knoxville gave me. Surely they knew better than me. And at that time, they did. They gave me a tried and true script that came in generic that they knew I wouldn't have trouble getting as a poor college student wanting to keep this off the parental insurance books. I was too nervous to ask questions.

PP is not uneducated or uncaring, though. What they are is likely very busy, understaffed, and most assuredly underfunded.

If she felt brushed off or not properly cared for, I urge her to go back armed with observations, concerns, and questions. A doctor or clinician cannot answer a question that was not asked. She has to be her own best advocate here. For this and any aspect of healthcare.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I never thought PP didn't know what they were doing, or that they didn't have good intentions. I just know the vast majority of their customers are low-income and under-insured, which in 'Murica! means you get the absolute minimum of preventative care.

She has very good health insurance, and her mother lives thousands of miles away. The only reason she went there was because she asked a friend at school and that's where she told her to go. I just advised her to get a referral to an in-network gynecologist from her GP and ask them any questions; she's due for a pap anyways (apparently).

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

KillHour posted:

It's less that she doesn't care and more that she never had to look into it or do any research. She grew up religious and didn't have sex at all until she met me. I'm sure abstinence-only sex ed is all she got. The fact that PP was pretty much just "Here's a prescription" without actually taking any time to educate her or go over her options is the part that was raising red flags for me and prompted me to ask in the thread.

Pills are a basic starting point if you're not asking for specific things, they're a fine starting point and the end point for many.

I don't know what goes down at PP but did she mention she had no idea about this and no idea about the other options? Doctors don't generally bring things up like that without being asked.

- beaten on all points by Geolicious

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Scudworth posted:

Pills are a basic starting point if you're not asking for specific things, they're a fine starting point and the end point for many.

I don't know what goes down at PP but did she mention she had no idea about this and no idea about the other options? Doctors don't generally bring things up like that without being asked.

Well, it's the "I don't know what I don't know" thing. How do you know to ask in the first place? I understand why PP wouldn't just get into a long discussion with every patient about all their options when a pill works fine and they have a line out the door and not enough staff to deal with it all. Which is why I recommended she get a referral for next time, so she had someone who was getting paid for their time by her insurance company and won't mind holding her hand a little bit more about the whole thing.

I'm not saying PP did anything wrong, I'm just clarifying why I was concerned and decided to ask around for opinions on the subject.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

KillHour posted:

Well, it's the "I don't know what I don't know" thing. How do you know to ask in the first place? I understand why PP wouldn't just get into a long discussion with every patient about all their options when a pill works fine and they have a line out the door and not enough staff to deal with it all. Which is why I recommended she get a referral for next time, so she had someone who was getting paid for their time by her insurance company and won't mind holding her hand a little bit more about the whole thing.

I'm not saying PP did anything wrong, I'm just clarifying why I was concerned and decided to ask around for opinions on the subject.

I would probably recommend that your gf looks into finding a specific gynecologist to go to, at their own practice, for the future. If she has good health insurance and money isn't a problem then she will want a specific doctor to deal with, as it's easier to figure out what will work best for her if she's dealing with a specific doctor who knows exactly what she's going through. Nothing wrong with PP, but she'll get more specific, hand-holding care with one specific doctor, at least in my experience. Besides, she'll want one for the future when she needs to get regular checkups anywho.
(which it sounds like you've already recommended, but just confirming that might be best for her needs)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Urban Wizard posted:

I would probably recommend that your gf looks into finding a specific gynecologist to go to, at their own practice, for the future. If she has good health insurance and money isn't a problem then she will want a specific doctor to deal with, as it's easier to figure out what will work best for her if she's dealing with a specific doctor who knows exactly what she's going through. Nothing wrong with PP, but she'll get more specific, hand-holding care with one specific doctor, at least in my experience. Besides, she'll want one for the future when she needs to get regular checkups anywho.
(which it sounds like you've already recommended, but just confirming that might be best for her needs)

Yes, this is exactly what I did (There's no way to not make that sound snarky, so just take my word for it that it's not meant that way).

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

KillHour posted:

Well, of course her BC is her decision. When did I ever say it wasn't? We had a short discussion about what she wanted to do, and she pretty much just said "whatever the gyno suggests." I brought up that there are alternatives to the pill that she may want to look into if she didn't want to have to worry about taking something every day and left it at that. The "what if" talk is going to be pretty much "If you're not comfortable with getting an abortion, I'm not comfortable using only one form of birth control. Let's keep using condoms." :shrug:

Also, she's not overweight at all, so the BMI thing isn't a concern.

Edit: She said she had REALLY bad nausea all day. The OP says 3 months before the side effects taper off. Will it really take that long? Or is the first week particularly bad?

From last page, but I had one script that gave me really bad nausea the first day or two of every 'new' month/pack, but then it went away and the rest of the month was fine. This lasted the entire time I used that BC (the patch, not a pill)

Mar 6, 2016
I'm getting pretty decent health insurance here soon, by June I think?
And I've been considering changing my birth control options.

I'm rarely sexually active and the current set up with what I have going on isn't feasible for me. I'm on nuva ring, which is great. I love it (aside from taking it out pre sex and having to put it back in), but, I don't love how I have to get it. Idaho doesn't have it's own planned parenthood, at least, the two cities I've lived in haven't, and have their own spin off.

I have to essentially go to pick up my birth control every two months, which is fine, no different than filling out a prescription... However, I have to make an appointment to pick it up, and sometimes they don't even have it in Stock.

I'm thinking of doing the iud route or switching where I get my birth control from. But, I'm leaning more on that IUD. I've done some looking into it, but I think I want to go with the copper one.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
When your health coverage kicks in next month you can get it at any pharmacy though, I assume? And you don't have to remove it for sex unless it bothers you or your partner.

Just side notes until you decide about the IUD, anyway.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

The Baroness posted:

From last page, but I had one script that gave me really bad nausea the first day or two of every 'new' month/pack, but then it went away and the rest of the month was fine. This lasted the entire time I used that BC (the patch, not a pill)

I still deal with this on Nuvaring. It's perfect other than that. But I've found a way to cheat the system by taking it out a day later than you would normally and using the new one a day early during the off week. Nausea is reduced considerably and I can actually function. This is probably a Nuvaring-only solution though, since you can use them for up to 4 weeks at a time and they won't lose effectiveness.

Not really that related but I figured it might help someone else dealing with the same problem. :v

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Does anyone in the thread have experience with birth control in the UK? I've been trying to get the Nexplanon implant and it's proving a bit difficult. Most of the family planning clinics are saying they're too understaffed to do it. After calling around, one said they could but quoted me quite a huge fee for doing so! I thought that it was covered by the NHS, but they said no.

Has anyone else had trouble with this? If you did get it, was it covered by the NHS? I'm in the London area if it matters.

Mar 6, 2016

Kerfuffle posted:

I still deal with this on Nuvaring. It's perfect other than that. But I've found a way to cheat the system by taking it out a day later than you would normally and using the new one a day early during the off week. Nausea is reduced considerably and I can actually function. This is probably a Nuvaring-only solution though, since you can use them for up to 4 weeks at a time and they won't lose effectiveness.

Not really that related but I figured it might help someone else dealing with the same problem. :v

I tried going the whole consistent nuvaring use as per recommended by the health center, and it was the worst thing I have experienced in my life.
I was spotting everywhere, my partner would have a bloody dick, I was cramping and bloated all the time, etc.

It was not until I went in for a follow up, saw a different doctor and they asked why the other doctor suggested that. It was beyond stupid.

I don't get nausea with nuvaring, though. Just some cramping.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

3.141592653 posted:

I tried going the whole consistent nuvaring use as per recommended by the health center, and it was the worst thing I have experienced in my life.
I was spotting everywhere, my partner would have a bloody dick, I was cramping and bloated all the time, etc.

It was not until I went in for a follow up, saw a different doctor and they asked why the other doctor suggested that. It was beyond stupid.

I don't get nausea with nuvaring, though. Just some cramping.

I'm doing this, it took just about a year for the random spotting to stop, now I haven't seen blood since October.

Mar 6, 2016
A year!?
They said a few weeks. That is insane.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Does anyone in the thread have experience with birth control in the UK? I've been trying to get the Nexplanon implant and it's proving a bit difficult. Most of the family planning clinics are saying they're too understaffed to do it. After calling around, one said they could but quoted me quite a huge fee for doing so! I thought that it was covered by the NHS, but they said no.

Has anyone else had trouble with this? If you did get it, was it covered by the NHS? I'm in the London area if it matters.

It takes special training to be able to install a birth control implant so not every health care provider will be able to do it, but Nexplanon IS covered by the NHS so I'm surprised you're having so much trouble finding someone who will do it for you. In my experience if my GP can't do it they refer me to a nearby clinic who can.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

floofyscorp posted:

It takes special training to be able to install a birth control implant so not every health care provider will be able to do it, but Nexplanon IS covered by the NHS so I'm surprised you're having so much trouble finding someone who will do it for you. In my experience if my GP can't do it they refer me to a nearby clinic who can.

Yeah, your GP should be able to point you towards someone who can do it. Especially with you being in or near a large city, there will be someone trained for it not too far away. When I got my Mirena installed, my GP pointed me at another GP in the same practice. There were small problems (finding a pharmacy who could actually order the thing in for me took a few visits) but overall I was very happy with my experience. I've had friends who had the implant as well and they had similar experiences with getting one put in.

I wouldn't be surprised if family planning clinics specifically are understaffed, this government is starving the hell out of the NHS, but all contraceptives are still free. Your GP is your best bet for information.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Thanks guys, that was really helpful. I did end up getting it inserted in the end. I'd tried calling up my last GP about it but the receptionist told me that only the family planning clinics do it, so that's why I was a bit confused. I've since moved, new GP etc., so it all worked out.

They had me on the mini pill to make sure I was good to go with the hormones beforehand and that took away my period after about 3 months, so here's hoping that the trend continues with this thing!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

KillHour posted:

Honestly this is one area where she probably isn't going to get a lot of "hand holding" regardless of where she goes. The pill is kind of the basic "default" birth control doctors will give you. If you want anything else, it's kind of up to her to do a lot of the legwork. Every time I've wanted to switch birth control methods, I had to do most of the research myself and then specifically request it. I think the only time I had a doctor make a recommendation was when I changed pill formulations once.

As for side-effects, I know the very first time I took the pill I had insane nausea for a few days, but definitely not the full 3 months.

3.141592653 posted:

I'm thinking of doing the iud route or switching where I get my birth control from. But, I'm leaning more on that IUD. I've done some looking into it, but I think I want to go with the copper one.

I don't stop by the thread quite as often as I used to, but I had a copper IUD for about 3 1/2 years so if you have any questions I'm happy to try and answer them!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Hello, pals. So, I've had my IUD since August. I have been spotting like crazy for the last week or so, usually right after sex.

I would like to think that it's stress since the following has happened: e: deleted pointless oversharing

Am I deluding myself? Should I go get it checked out? Months later and I am still terrified about migration/expulsion.

cash crab fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 12, 2016

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

stress seems about right but if it would help you relax about it, it can't hurt to go for a check-up

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

cash crab posted:

Hello, pals. So, I've had my IUD since August. I have been spotting like crazy for the last week or so, usually right after sex.

I would like to think that it's stress since the following has happened: e: deleted pointless oversharing

Am I deluding myself? Should I go get it checked out? Months later and I am still terrified about migration/expulsion.

I would randomly spot all the time with my IUD and the thing never moved the whole time I had it, if that makes you feel any better. But if you can there's nothing wrong with getting it checked if it will give you some peace of mind. I used to ask about the placement pretty much every time I had a pelvic for whatever reason, just because it made me feel better.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

I would randomly spot all the time with my IUD and the thing never moved the whole time I had it, if that makes you feel any better. But if you can there's nothing wrong with getting it checked if it will give you some peace of mind. I used to ask about the placement pretty much every time I had a pelvic for whatever reason, just because it made me feel better.
That's good advice; I always ask about the positioning of my Mirena too, just in case anything is different.

cash crab posted:

I also will spot after sex, often times. My best explanation is that I've always had sensitive skin everywhere, and when things are getting all jostled around I think it causes some tears that bleed. I've ran that by my doctor and she seems to think it's a likely explanation.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Okay, that's comforting. I've had the placement checked rather recently, and I can still feel the strings, so that's good. Also, no pain or anything.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Welp, had my second Nexplanon inserted yesterday. Even though you could feel the old one pretty easily, it still took some digging for them to get it out. Probably gonna have a fairly sizable scar just from the explantation alone. Eh, could be worse.

Has anyone had any kind of adjustment period when getting a new implant, be it Nexplanon or Mirena or anything else, as far as new side effects? I know technically there shouldn't be a difference since it's the exact same thing with the same hormone dosage and it's not like I was over the three-year mark with my old one. I gained over 30 pounds within the first year of having my old one put in without any kind of lifestyle change and I'm paranoid for something like that to happen again.

I really would like to have been able to try something else birth control wise, but I get migraines so anything with estrogen is out per my doctor, and after my failed Mirena attempt, IUDs are out, too. My options for hormonal birth control are pretty limited at this point. Maybe in three more years something else will be out on the market...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The dose goes down significantly from the first couple weeks through the third year. It's always enough to be safe, so no worries on that front, but it does change a lot. "Peak serum concentration" is the keyword to google. I'm on my third one and I've noticed differences with replacement, but it could be psychosomatic, since obviously I know when it's replaced. No unexplained weight gain, I just am more prone to crying at first, and I come super hard.

Also, if yours scars badly, they hosed up pretty bad imo. I'm very prone to scarring, but from three insertions and two removals, there's only one white dot. Mine were both encapsulated and took some digging, so it didn't feel great at the time (not painful, just weird), but even though she was pulling super hard, it was still a small hole that ended up being fine. Did you get a look at yours yet, or is it still wrapped?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 16, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Mine is still wrapped so I haven't seen it yet and it feels pretty okay, but they did have to put a Steristrip across it. And really, it wasn't at all uncomfortable coming out, but the doctor (this is a different one than I had from my last insertion) recommended keeping it wrapped for three days instead of one to keep pressure on it.

edit: My poor friend had hers removed a year early and they tore up her arm trying to get it out. They eventually had to refer her to a surgeon. She showed me pictures of what it looks like three months later just yesterday and they really did a number on her. She's pretty sour on the whole experience. :(

Although she did get pregnant almost immediately after getting it removed, which is what she was hoping for. They really aren't kidding when they say your fertility comes back almost immediately!

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 16, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
A bandaid and three days in an ace bandage is what I've done every time so far. You can play it by ear with the ace bandage, I just think it's more comfortable having it supported instead of moving at first. I don't think it's a bad sign for you. That's super messed up about your friend, though! Did it get "lost" or what?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Pretty much. :/ She knew it was going to get ugly when she couldn't feel it herself. I really don't understand why they didn't take an x-ray beforehand if they couldn't feel it, either. When the surgeon found it, it had migrated almost all the way to the under side of her arm.

She gave me permission to share this picture. This is three months after the removal:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:gonk: That's hosed up and IMO she should report them to Merck. They have to do special training to be allowed to do Nexplanon, and part of it is definitely "don't just go nuts and start cutting arms open to explore." They didn't even need an X-ray, they could've just done an ultrasound.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008
When I got mine in, the doctor told me to ask the person who took it out how big the incision would be--then she drew a line about 2mm long on my little card and said, "if it's bigger than this, look for a different doctor."

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I'm a few hours away from getting the Jaydess inserted. I'm pretty nervous about the procedure but having read up on all the possibilities has made me feel confident I'm making the right choice. I think the relatively cheap cost for it (insured) really makes it worth a try. My boyfriend is very supportive too. Just hate that I have to get it out in while I'm already bleeding, I feel gross enough!

Edit: Done. Jesus gently caress this is uncomfortable. But she said it went in perfectly and I shouldn't have any complications.

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 22, 2016

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I'm on birth control pills. Up until now I've had no problems: my periods have been predictable in both when they start and how long they last. However, since my boyfriend dumped me out of the blue the first week of May, I've had two periods that each started a week early (several days before the placebo week starts) and lasted two weeks. Today marks the start of the third one. It's technically starting a month after the previous one did, but my placebo pills don't start until next week.

I know that grief and stress will wreak havoc on my hormones, and I'm sure that's why my period has gotten so out of wack. I'm afraid that my body has just settled into this crazy pattern and won't stop. Is there anything I can do to adjust? Could I just start taking my placebo pills today (well, tomorrow, since I already took my pill for today)? Should I just stop taking the pills until this period ends, and then start over?

Ugh, this ex of mine has caused me no end of emotional and physical troubles, all because he was too much of a coward to talk to me about his issues and instead chose to literally run away from home (move 3,000 miles away for an iffy job).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Keep taking your pills they way you're supposed to. Consistency is only going to help you here. And be patient. Stress loving *ruins* cycles for some people.

It never hurts to call your doc or women's health pro if you're concerned. That's what they're there for.

Also, take care of yourself. Be good to yourself. Do some nice things for yourself. Line up some stress relief days.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Thanks. I'm working on the stress. I went to my doctor yesterday and got some help for my stress and anxiety, but didn't ask her about this--I'm so forgetful lately!

I'm so thankful that I learned about menstrual cups. That's the only thing keeping me from going crazy about these weird periods. :)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My job has me stressed to the absolute edge right now and nothing in my body is working right at all. Periods. Digestion. Thinking. Sleeping. Forgetfulness is like my new specialty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

My nexplanon slid way the gently caress down my arm within the first few weeks of having it (I can see/feel one end but it's moved completely from its original position) and I'm not looking forward to having it removed in ~2 years. :mad: It works fine, I'm surprised it works at all because I'm fat, but yikes

• Locked thread