Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah you're fine. Just make sure that you put a chock in front of the wheel first so that if it starts rolling towards you it has something to stop on that's not your foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah you're fine. Just make sure that you put a chock in front of the wheel first so that if it starts rolling towards you it has something to stop on that's not your foot.

My driveway slopes downhill so if anything it will go backwards. God bless lever e-brakes.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm in Cleveland and have never driven using an AWD. My SOP for using FWD in show/ice is to:

1. Pray
2. Carry an emergency shovel
3. Go SLOW and treat the thing like it might not be able to corner/stop

If I get one of these cars I'm going to need to get used to the AWD and not get too gonzo. How does the Starlink thing work with iPods? I'm not too concerned since it has an AUX port.

Also, for the Outback and the Forester, do the base trim levels have cruise control? The non-sport Honda Fit didn't come with cruise control, and I thought that was a dick move on Honda's part.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It should, even my 97 impreza had cruise control iirc. Tires are the important thing in the snow, a 2wd on snow tires grips better than an awd on summers.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Three-Phase posted:

I'm in Cleveland and have never driven using an AWD. My SOP for using FWD in show/ice is to:

1. Pray

If I get one of these cars I'm going to need to get used to the AWD and not get too gonzo.

4. If you get into trouble, don't lift. Subarus (most real AWD cars, really) have a ton of directional control while loose on snow. You can get the car pointed pretty well in any direction you want with the gas pedal including the way you actually want to go. I took a winter autocross course at Lime Rock and it was really eye opening to what all wheel drive really does for you in snow.

The alternate responsible advice would be not to drive if you don't have to. Be wary of the weather and you won't have to deal with it as often.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Three-Phase posted:

1. Pray

If I get one of these cars I'm going to need to get used to the AWD and not get too gonzo. How does the Starlink thing work with iPods? I'm not too concerned since it has an AUX port.

Also, for the Outback and the Forester, do the base trim levels have cruise control? The non-sport Honda Fit didn't come with cruise control, and I thought that was a dick move on Honda's part.

Sounds like you need snow tires (and maybe a driving course -- no really most people have no clue how to drive in snow).
AWD just gets you going faster before you crash because you can't stop or turn.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah. Snow tires and learning how to drive on snow is the stuff.

I can't count the number of idiots I saw wreck in Texas because they decided to turn around on that 'nice, clear' bridge that was covered in black ice.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you drive it like a FWD car it will still handle the snow poorly like one. Keep some gas through turns and you're pretty much golden. First snow, go to an empty parking lot and get a feel for it. Snow tires make a huge difference, too. If there are winter driving classes near you, take one in the car.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mr. Powers posted:

First snow, go to an empty parking lot and get a feel for it.
This is one of the best things you can do to get used to driving in snow. Start by toodling around carefully, then gradually work your way up to driving like you might on clean, dry pavement. Look for the differences in how your car handles when you use smooth gas, brake, and steering inputs. Do the same but with sudden, jerky, and drastic inputs. Try replicating some common movements you might have to do in ordinary driving, like accelerating through a turn or avoiding an obstacle in the road. If the parking lot is clear of light poles, cars, curbs, or other hazards, you may wish to (carefully) try doing a few low speed donuts.

All of these can help you judge when your tires are going to break traction, and how you can still maintain control of your vehicle even under adverse conditions.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Sounds like you have lovely tires.

Awd handles a lot like fwd, but you can accelerate faster when it's slippery. So a good way to get in trouble in the winter.

The one thing that is a little more abrupt is snap oversteer when you lift the throttle because the rear wheels are engine braking too.

Tonight i was ripping down an empty gravel road after i helped clean up the mtb race. I sometimes forget how fun my car can be because i pretty much only drive around town- so responsive, well balanced, and easy to control sliding around. It's like i know what I'm doing... Have to stay calm on corner entry with the rear swaybar set full stiff though. Kind of wants to come around off pavement.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
One thing too is that many of these little econobox cars have really small tires. So in the winter it's challenging to manueauver and all other seasons you must dodge potholes like mad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Three-Phase posted:

One thing too is that many of these little econobox cars have really small tires. So in the winter it's challenging to manueauver and all other seasons you must dodge potholes like mad.

Narrow tires should work better in the snow.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
But not short tires. From summer to winter I go from 265/35R18 to 215/55/R17. The overall diameter on the winter set is actually taller.

Need the height for potholes

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Three-Phase posted:

I'm in Cleveland and have never driven using an AWD.

Get snow tires, you're in a lovely, snowy part of the midwest. They'll make you feel like a god in the snow, especially with AWD. And don't forget that just because you can get off the line quicker than most people doesn't mean you can stop any faster (with snows, yes. Normal tires, just the same as the other idiots).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The limiting factor for driving in the snow are the other drivers. Stay well clear of SUV's and pickup trucks because the people with the "best" snow vehicles are the worst at using them. Just be careful and go slower.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The best snow vehicle is a Subaru of low book value with excellent snow tires on the front and passable snow tires on the rear

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Just stay away from Ohio City and Tremont and you won't have to worry about pot holes!

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Took my 2015 WRX to the dealership for some rear suspension squeaks, cricket sounds when the clutch is not pressed, and a loud clunk when I turn the wheel all the way to the right, but right before I hit the stopping point.

I heard back today... Throw out bearing needs replaced, front right strut is leaking and needs replaced, front right strut cap needs replaced, rear sway bar bushings need replaced.

I have 24k miles on the car, don't track it or drive like a crazy person. Doesn't this seem a little much to be wrong for a car only 16 months old? Should I be concerned? I think I'm going to request I get an alignment because of the new strut.

Also they gave me a loaner white Crosstek and I won't get my car back until late next week. :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Be glad you got a Subaru loaner. My dealer ships me to Enterprise and for the 16 turbo intake recall, I was given a loving Sedona minivan for 4 days.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Boner Wad posted:

Took my 2015 WRX to the dealership for some rear suspension squeaks, cricket sounds when the clutch is not pressed, and a loud clunk when I turn the wheel all the way to the right, but right before I hit the stopping point.

I heard back today... Throw out bearing needs replaced, front right strut is leaking and needs replaced, front right strut cap needs replaced, rear sway bar bushings need replaced.

I have 24k miles on the car, don't track it or drive like a crazy person. Doesn't this seem a little much to be wrong for a car only 16 months old? Should I be concerned? I think I'm going to request I get an alignment because of the new strut.

Also they gave me a loaner white Crosstek and I won't get my car back until late next week. :(

That is strangely unlucky. My car has been fine besides the couple of recalls it's had and a bad cam sensor. I wouldn't be worried, though. You are far from having a lemon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What should I do with this engine? SOHC EJ25, leaking head gaskets externally, 145k miles, and getting some decent shavings in the pan...Overall the car is in good shape, just needs some suspension refreshing so I don't want to give up on it yet. Who are good rebuilders for these engines? I'm in Michigan so I looked up SSI but I know nothing about them. Anybody else I should look into? I'm thinking get a rebuilt engine and throw that in but I'm up for other suggestions.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Oh you poor sweet little child, it's a SOHC EJ25, run that poo poo into the ground

Getting a rebuilt engine and throwing that in is probably not the worst idea. Make sure whoever builds it uses the MLS gaskets from the turbo motors.

Or you can just rip one out of a junkyard like Ken has what, four times now? Or make like TerribleRobot and put 30k miles on a knocking EJ251.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

All possible options. It's an 07 so it's a little more rare to find one that new in junkyards around here. EJ253 I think which wikipedia says is 06-10.

It's the wife's car so I don't want it to go out on her and have her be stuck in downtown Detroit where she works...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I've been driving a Forrester lately in the city and it is surprisingly painless to park. I always feel like I'm gonna hit the front bumper on something but it is just really short and seems to have a good turn radius for what it is.

Much better than trying to parallel park my toy racecar that has no power steering :snoop:

Anyway, for a car I never really paid any attention to before having randomly gained access to one through circumstance, it is not nearly as lackluster as I thought it would be.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
The Subaru Forester: Less lovely Than Expected

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

literally a fish posted:

The Subaru Forester: Less lovely Than Expected

Subaru Forester : First Gen Best Gen

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My mom has a new forester, it's fine. Fairly quick, not sure where all the cvt hate comes from, maybe older versions? Ride is not that great and the handling is a bit sluggish though. Better shocks and a bigger rear swaybar would make a big difference.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Got the engine back in my 05 Impreza RS today. Runs fine with a new hg/timing kit. Only 2 extra bolts left over also!
Would've had it running yesterday but I ordered the wrong spark plug wire set and had to 1-day the correct NGK set from Amazon.
On that note, does anyone need an NGK RC-FX58 plug wire set? I believe it's for 99-04 ej25's. $30 shipped (or delivered if Seattle area I guess)
https://www.amazon.com/NGK-FX58-Premium-Spark-Plug/dp/B001MU28TI

I also will be dumping the Harbor Freight engine picker/stand/leveler I bought just for this job. $200 for all 3

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

literally a fish posted:

Oh you poor sweet little child, it's a SOHC EJ25, run that poo poo into the ground

That's my plan too. Going to do valve cover gaskets and clean up the oil haze all over the bottom of the drivers side. Maybe then I can determine if the oil's coming from the valve covers or the head gaskets.

I have a coworker that's dropping like $9k into a 2008 DOHC WRX engine. Apparently he cracked a piston on the last one. I think he's dumb. Why not just drop a turdo off craigslist in there and come out $7500 ahead?

E: relevant gif

E2: relevant jpg

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 29, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hey thread, it has been a long while, but it's important for you to know that I still love my 2016 Outback 3.6R.

Vroom! Vroom!

I live in the PNW where a solid 20% of the cars on the road are Subaru Outbacks, and it's fun to leave the 4-cylinder peasantry in the dust.

(Vroom)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like 3.6Rs will one day be worth something because no one with 3.6R money doesnt just buy a WRX. Then again we are in a hatch drought right now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

um excuse me posted:

I feel like 3.6Rs will one day be worth something because no one with 3.6R money doesnt just buy a WRX. Then again we are in a hatch drought right now.

I considered a Legacy 3.6R, but I haven't test driven one yet. It's unlikely that I'd get one to replace my WRX next year.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
People who buy outbacks are mostly a different market to wrx's though? Especially now that the wrx is a sedan.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

People who buy outbacks are mostly a different market to wrx's though? Especially now that the wrx is a sedan.

There's also the Legacy 3.6R which, while a bigger car, is much more comparable to the WRX.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Hello Subaru thread.

I have a 2014 Forester (non-Turbo) and tonight when I went out to my garage to I noticed a vibrating type sound coming from what sounded like the rear third of the underside of the car. Basically sounded like you left a low power vibrator turned on an resting against metal. I put the key in the ignition and turned it one click to see if it changed anything and the noise went away. Car had been off for 5 hours at this point. A quick search for keywords I could think of turned up nothing, so I'm just curious if there's some explanation for the noise. Prior to this month the car lived outside in a neighborhood with lots of street noise so I wouldn't have noticed the noise if present.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Sounds like your fuel pump got stuck on, maybe sticky fuel pump relay? That's all I can think of in that area that'd make that noise.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

literally a fish posted:

Sounds like your fuel pump got stuck on, maybe sticky fuel pump relay? That's all I can think of in that area that'd make that noise.

Did the vibrating sound like a fuel pump priming, like when you put the key to on, without starting it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tbh I'm actually cross shopping the Outback 3.6 against most other brands' 3 row SUVs. I feel like that 3rd row is just going to be cargo space anyway, and I might get more Subaru for the same price.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hello Subaru friends, I recently got a WRX and it's my first turbo car. I read about letting turbos wind and cool down before turning the car off. Do I still have to worry about that or is it no longer a thing thanks to technology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you beat on it really hard (IE track laps, v. aggressive back roads etc) , you'll want a few minutes of slow driving to get the temperatures back to nominal (this is mostly true for any car). For normal driving, no absolutely not.