Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Thisuck posted:

Winter orb will be a great main board card with this Thalia.

Any suggestions for names? Thalia 2.0, swole Thalia, Thalia 2: the Hatetening, Thalia:gently caress your fetches?

The problem with Winter Orb is that it doesn't beat in for damage. Hatebears strategies work by putting your opponent in a bind. They use tax effects and other forms of disruption to prevent the opponent from enacting their gameplan while simultaneously beating down with creatures. In order to reach the critical mass of both disruption and pressure, the disruption has to come attached to a beater of some type.

If winter orb was also a 2/2 for 2 mana than it might see play. Hokori, Dust Drinker is 2 mana off from possibly being a playable card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

We have not seen a single black or red card from this set.

We have the legendary werewolf. He's red.

Calling it now, red sucks black sucks.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

wow this is just a real bad emote

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Judgm'rakul

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Captain Capitalism posted:

The whole set is bad and unplayable

Let's just skip right into Kaladesh

Thop Till Ya' Drop!

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Current magic design paradigm is that Green and White are the best colors, because they want the game to revolve around creature combat. Green and White aren't going to stop having the best creatures anytime soon. Black might get some decent cards, because Leliana might be good. But black isn't allowed to have creatures that are good cause color pie, and odds seem poor that they are going to give black a card advantage engine as good as Duskwatcher Recruiter or Tireless Tracker. Odds are also poor that Black will get better removal than what White has access too. Hell I doubt Blue will get a better card selection tool than Oath of Nissa either.

I fully expect the current archetypes to get further solidified upon release of Eldritch Moon. Black White control might be competitive maybe. I just don't see a deck being viable in standard that doesnt play white or green for awhile.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

People were lamenting the death of green not so long ago because omg no more Elvish Mystic. It's almost like this current favorable metagame for GW does not actually reflect current design principles in any way.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

People were lamenting the death of green not so long ago because omg no more Elvish Mystic. It's almost like this current favorable metagame for GW does not actually reflect current design principles in any way.

I don't know anybody saying Green would be dead cause of Elvish Mystic going away. It seemed more of a lament that a staple of magic was going away forever (as long as the current head designers are around). I mean we exist in a world where Shock is too powerful for standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

anglachel posted:

I don't know anybody saying Green would be dead cause of Elvish Mystic going away. It seemed more of a lament that a staple of magic was going away forever (as long as the current head designers are around). I mean we exist in a world where Shock is too powerful for standard.

Did they actually say Shock was too powerful

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Skyl3lazer posted:

wow this is just a real bad emote

:agreed:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Mono black and abzan, which was usually more GBw, were pretty recent decks that were kinda okay too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

White was also bad outside of a few pushed mythics before like OGW?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

WINGMATE ROC N ROLL

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They did screw the pooch a bit with current standard, though.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Captain Capitalism posted:

WotC will never let control be good in standard

Long live GW

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Heroic was far more playable than decks these days that don't have green or white. It was dirt cheap too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

also I'm pretty sure red has lived in the mediocre to dogshit range since theros block and its cheap playable burn spells that can hit players rotated out, but that's only a period of a year or so and every color had had longer periods than that of being bad, it's just a thing that happens

Alaan
May 24, 2005

People love to conflate red not having good burn now to red will never again have good burn. We are coming off a long run of red being really solid with lots of powerful face and creature hitting burn.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

TheKingofSprings posted:

Did they actually say Shock was too powerful

no they said having shock in every core/base set limits what they can print in terms of R burn spells

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it was more about removing boring evergreen staples.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/746086432402464769

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I'm pretty sure I know the person behind that and the Tumblr Loss and I absolutely need to buy them a beer

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Alaan posted:

People love to conflate red not having good burn now to red will never again have good burn. We are coming off a long run of red being really solid with lots of powerful face and creature hitting burn.
I don't understand, really, back when it was Theros and KTK, we had that Jeskai deck that was entirely based around Mantis Rider, Stoke the Flames, Lightning Strike, and Jeskai Charm. Red, or at least decks with strong burn spells, were super prevalent.

When it was KtK/BfZ, there were the Atarka Red decks that had Atarka's Command, Hordeling Outburst, Dragon Fodder, and Wild Slash. We even had options like Exquisite Firecraft in the format (still do!), which is a pretty chunky burn spell that can go to the dome.

At the beginning of the DtK/BfZ/SoI standard format, we had the top-end for burn being tested again with Fall of the Titans and Fiery Temper being used in Pyromancer's Goggles decks.

not having a one or two cmc burn spell at 2/3 that goes face does not make the burn in the format weak, what the gently caress is this noise. poo poo, I'm not even sure Lightning Strike or Wild Slash would interact in a meaningful way with current standard G/W powerhouse. Is this just a perennial complaint about "my old mono-r aggro deck I put together for a song and a smile is no longer legal, abloo bloo bloo?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sestze posted:

I don't understand, really, back when it was Theros and KTK, we had that Jeskai deck that was entirely based around Mantis Rider, Stoke the Flames, Lightning Strike, and Jeskai Charm. Red, or at least decks with strong burn spells, were super prevalent.

When it was KtK/BfZ, there were the Atarka Red decks that had Atarka's Command, Hordeling Outburst, Dragon Fodder, and Wild Slash. We even had options like Exquisite Firecraft in the format (still do!), which is a pretty chunky burn spell that can go to the dome.

At the beginning of the DtK/BfZ/SoI standard format, we had the top-end for burn being tested again with Fall of the Titans and Fiery Temper being used in Pyromancer's Goggles decks.

not having a one or two cmc burn spell at 2/3 that goes face does not make the burn in the format weak, what the gently caress is this noise. poo poo, I'm not even sure Lightning Strike or Wild Slash would interact in a meaningful way with current standard G/W powerhouse. Is this just a perennial complaint about "my old mono-r aggro deck I put together for a song and a smile is no longer legal, abloo bloo bloo?"

I am 100% sure lightening strike would be a meaningful card that would see play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sestze posted:

Look man some of us just want to dome you for 3.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Some men just want to watch the world play burn.

black potus fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 24, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Reminder that the Origins superstandard RDW deck had Shock, Searing Blood, Lightning Strike, Exquisite Firecraft and Stoke the Flames along with two modern playable burn creatures. I'm pretty sure it actually had a favorable matchup against modern burn (mostly due to them doming themselves for loads with their mana, but still).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sestze posted:

Atarka Red slowly faded out as the format moved forward and the decks evolved and got better and those ramp decks faded pretty rapidly after the pro tour. Burn has historically been red's defining mechanic due to its efficiency and versatility and I feel like wotc hasn't yet figured out exactly what they want to do with red when those spells are weaker.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is it even up for debate that colors in standard are imbalanced atm?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

WINGMATE ROC N ROLL

One time I played a Wingmate Roc after a long time of not playing it, and announced it by saying "FINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALY THE ROC HAS COME BACK.....TO STANDARD!"

My opponent was not amused.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I kind of like the wax and wane of each color's power in Standard. It makes for an interesting dynamic with every set release. I don't know why people get so attached to one color being "weak", just play whatever's good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

I kind of like the wax and wane of each color's power in Standard. It makes for an interesting dynamic with every set release. I don't know why people get so attached to one color being "weak", just play whatever's good.

Uh, Black has been consistantly strong for the past 4 years.

Probably longer actually.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The reason why Red doesn't have Lightning Strike is actually really obvious: both design and development are consciously experimenting with designing colors without certain crutches that every color is assumed to have. There's no Elvish Mystic, white doesn't have a 4-mana wrath, blue's card draw is significantly less powerful, red doesn't have relatively cheap direct damage. All of these things occurring around the same time isn't a random coincidence.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Uh, Black has been consistantly strong for the past 4 years.

Probably longer actually.

Reminder that black was considered the weakest colour and people were begging for it to be good again in this very thread sometime around when AVR was in standard

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Angry Grimace posted:

The reason why Red doesn't have Lightning Strike is actually really obvious: both design and development are consciously experimenting with designing colors without certain crutches that every color is assumed to have. There's no Elvish Mystic, white doesn't have a 4-mana wrath, blue's card draw is significantly less powerful, red doesn't have relatively cheap direct damage. All of these things occurring around the same time isn't a random coincidence.

Yes. It is the hand of our lord Jesus Christ at work in Standard.

godbless.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Reminder that black was considered the weakest colour and people were begging for it to be good again in this very thread sometime around when AVR was in standard

All I remember is people whining that they wanted mono-black control to be viable again, then it was and everyone whined about it.

It's almost like people complain about everything in standard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

All I remember is people whining that they wanted mono-black control to be viable again, then it was and everyone whined about it.

Everyone saying every set, "THIS is the card that will bring monoblack back" and then monoblack not being back was always funny

Truly, Theros ruins everything

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

It's almost like people complain about everything in standard.

This is exactly why I ignore people's comments about new cards and bulk buy dumb poo poo like Goblin Rabblemaster when everyone keeps telling me it's a bulk rare and I shouldn't be wasting my nickels.

That was a good release weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'll buy that, but blue's card draw is less powerful compared to what? As a long time player, it seems like between RTR and now been extremely powerful blue card draw.

• Locked thread