Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is this a joke I don't understand, because Deadwood's movie was greenlit and EW were doing photo shoots just the other day.

When Deadwood was originally canceled HBO offered David Milch a movie deal to tie up loose ends and he turned them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't know anyone in real life that liked TD S2, and I've talked to people that absolutely raved about S1. The only people to know of that liked S2 are people on the Internet, including some that get very defensive if you say that you think it was bad.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 24, 2016

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I still think Vince Vaughn did the absolute best he could with the material because I defy anyone here to say "You're being very louche" dramatically without a hint of irony.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Didn't True Detective season 2 also scrap some surreal/supernatural themes because internet fuckwits were furious that Chthulu didn't make an appearance in season 1?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Slamhound posted:

Didn't True Detective season 2 also scrap some surreal/supernatural themes because internet fuckwits were furious that Chthulu didn't make an appearance in season 1?

No.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it's totally cool that nothing supernatural really happened in TD S1, but I did like the flavor that that stuff added.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Slamhound posted:

People getting pissy about that stuff made no sense anyways. The Yellow King and Carcosa predated Lovecraft and were more about the creepy Victorian Gothic atmosphere of ancient rites and secret societies instead of "black people and aliens are scary" from Lovecraft.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doesn't Westworld seem to be GoT's replacement?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I liked True Detective Season 2, but I'm a sucker for anything pulpy and noir. It wasn't nearly as good as Season 1, so it came as a letdown for everyone. It felt like a James Ellroy pastiche, but the entire season would have been salvaged if it was a late '40s or 1950s period piece, like most of Ellroy's best novels:

The closeted highway patrolman would have been a World War II veteran, in an era when it was unheard of (and dangerous) to be openly gay, and he would have been more likely to get into a sham marriage because "that's what men do."
The tough female cop (Bezzerides, I can't believe I remember that) would have faced that kind of sexual harassment and career sabotage trying to be taken seriously during that era, but everything she dealt with was too insane for modern times.
Velcoro, the burnout detective, would have felt right at home in that era, drinking and taking drugs while being a barely functional cop, trapped in a gangster's pocket and constantly concerned he was raising his wife's rapist's son.
Frank, the gangster, talked like he was in an old-timey crime novel anyway. "Am I diminished?"

Plus, we would have had cool cars and suits and hats and dresses for the dames, and the corruption and pollution scandals would have felt just as accurate in the era that Chinatown and L.A. Confidential were set in.

It was a wasted opportunity, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pizzolatto even pitched it as a period piece, and HBO said it had to be set in the present. But more people would have liked it for the retro feel and forgiven the stylized dialogue, stock characters, and "Baby's First Ellroy Novel" plot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

As far as I know Westworld has been billed as a miniseries.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If TD S2 was a period show, they wouldn't have been able to do that laugh-out-loud e-cig line.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

As far as I know Westworld has been billed as a miniseries.

No, it's meant to be ongoing; there's just doubt that it will go on due to all the issues it had behind the scenes.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

You mean from a content perspective or a "this is our tentpole show" perspective?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

After shows are a blight on the television landscape.

Dummies need poo poo explained.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is this a joke I don't understand, because Deadwood's movie was greenlit and EW were doing photo shoots just the other day.

I didn't know it was actually happening! I read an article talking about how David Milch owes like $20 million due to gambling debts and assumed all plans were scrapped.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
20 million...? Who bets against the Harlem Globetrotters?

Is it because of that loving racehorse he bought?

This is the best thing ever starring David Milch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7nMjgpteI

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

20 million...? Who bets against the Harlem Globetrotters?

Is it because of that loving racehorse he bought?

This is the best thing ever starring David Milch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7nMjgpteI

Wrestlemania wiped him out.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Slamhound posted:

In early interviews, he said that it involved the 'Secret occult history of the United States railroad', but then later jettisoned it because he didn't want to repeat Season 1.

I think it was clear that they weren't ready to make S2, but I don't know that really justifies the mess in his writing either. You can have a character like Rust, because you have Harrelson there to roll his eyes at him, but S2 just felt like every character was Rust, all with their own existential issues that they will gladly sit down and tell you about.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't seen any good press about the Bill Simmons show. Why did HBO see his work and decide he should host a show. His Ben Affleck interview is cringey as gently caress.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Mu Zeta posted:

I haven't seen any good press about the Bill Simmons show. Why did HBO see his work and decide he should host a show. His Ben Affleck interview is cringey as gently caress.

Surprisingly, the New Yorker did not hate it.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Red Dwarf is coming back for the first of two new series in September, there is a series description here http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/red-dwarf-xi-coming-soon/ . I know opinions are mixed on new Red Dwarf but I really enjoyed X and even Back to Earth has a few funny gags in it.

Anyway its pretty loving depressing in the (soon to not be) UK at the moment and this is something.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

Red Dwarf is coming back for the first of two new series in September, there is a series description here http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/red-dwarf-xi-coming-soon/ . I know opinions are mixed on new Red Dwarf but I really enjoyed X and even Back to Earth has a few funny gags in it.

i don't know how i feel about that, but i will watch it nonetheless.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's taken forever, I was at a conference in 2014 where they said they were filming it at the time. Maybe it got delayed. I swear no other show has the troubles RD had with regards to productions, but I was a fan of X and look forward to this next series.

Must admit, I look for Rob Grant's name every time though, just in case...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

They're both Boston boys and Boston Strong

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

They wanted to do business with the brain behind 30 for 30 and got stuck with his awful tv presence.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

One of my buddies said it was insanely good. I didn't believe him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

One of my buddies said it was insanely good. I didn't believe him.

WE all have that "friend," there's a reason we will be too busy every time they want to do something.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Man, BrainDead is the loving truth.

Like, the satire is really rough and more than a few eyes are gonna roll at it, but their Body Snatchers game is on point.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 24, 2016

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Iron Crowned posted:

WE all have that "friend," there's a reason we will be too busy every time they want to do something.

Is this a situation you're intimately familiar with?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chairman Wao posted:

Is this a situation you're intimately familiar with?

I really was washing my hair that day IC, for reals.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
im still washing mine rn.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

I don't know anyone in real life that liked TD S2, and I've talked to people that absolutely raved about S1. The only people to know of that liked S2 are people on the Internet, including some that get very defensive if you say that you think it was bad.

Season 2 was objectively bad. A trainwreck in several ways, but cinematographically it was good. Good cinematography.

That's it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So I watched some Lucifer, and has anybody else made the obvious observation that this is just Elementary but in Los Angeles? And supernatural stuff, I guess. I can already imagine the AV Club article.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 25, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The second episode of BrainDead is gonna have to be pretty great to beat that Previously On, which is pretty much the best I've ever seen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So I watched some Lucifer, and has anybody else made the obvious observation that this is just Elementary but in Los Angeles? And supernatural stuff, I guess. I can already imagine the AV Club article.
Hellementary

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

The second episode of BrainDead is gonna have to be pretty great to beat that Previously On, which is pretty much the best I've ever seen.

It's funny because a handful of my friends hate Jonathan Coulton, and I was telling one of them "Boy I hope this second episode sucks, otherwise it's gonna feel real awkward yelling at you to watch it."

There's still that caveat that the "can't we all just get along" political commentary isn't very incisive at this point (though I did love that conversation between Danny and Wheatus in the first episode), but the scripts are delivering in almost every other area that matters, the actors are killing it, and the direction is stellar; they particularly know how to end the gently caress out of an episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I gotta say I'm definitely on board for this one. How many episodes are we expecting?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's 13, I believe.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Dummies need poo poo explained.

No kidding. On The Walking Dead, at the end of one episode it looked like a main character was shot and killed. Less than a minute after the episode (and scene) ended, the official Twitter for the show posted "Don't worry, he's alive!" And Talking Dead often explained things in ways that were practically spoilers and/or insulting to my intelligence (yes, more than watching The Walking Dead, I'm aware of the irony) because people are incapable of watching and understanding a TV show that has no subtlety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So Another Period started up again and they've recast the Hortense, the third sister, yet again.

I really don't know, it's very weird because literally everyone else is back.

Well, she's on an NBC show now, so that may have conflicted with the shooting schedule.

• Locked thread