Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Solemn Sloth posted:

If only parliament could be run on such an efficient budget

if you don't pay them that much you'll attract a lower quality homophobe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
In case anyone fells like watching a global financial crisis take place in real time:
http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Seagull posted:

if you don't pay them that much you'll attract a lower quality homophobe

I'd like to see you try to find lower quality homophobes than ours

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The pound down 7% and counting against the dollar

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

On this day my welsh ancestry shames me. Unless maybe they realise how hosed brexit will be and are prepared to sacrifice themselves to cast down the evil English

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So is there going to be another Scottish independence bid if Britain leave the EU?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

On this day my welsh ancestry shames me. Unless maybe they realise how hosed brexit will be and are prepared to sacrifice themselves to cast down the evil English

They probably know they can vote to leave the UK and rejoin the EU if the UK leaves.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Why don't Scotland, Northern England, NI and Wales just kick the south out of the UK?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Anidav posted:

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says Coalition MPs will still be able to vote against gay marriage, even if voters back it in a plebiscite.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says Coalition MPs will still be able to vote against gay marriage, even if voters back it in a plebiscite.

loving lol

Presumably this means MPs can vote for gay marriage if voters reject it in a plebiscite

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

gay picnic defence posted:

Presumably this means MPs can vote for gay marriage if voters reject it in a plebiscite

they won't on both counts

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
If GFC 2.0 fears swing the election back towards the libs in the last week I am going to scream.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Wheezle posted:

If GFC 2.0 fears swing the election back towards the libs in the last week I am going to scream.

Better they get tarnished by it than the ALP.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrR-64PrrGo

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I think I discovered Malcolm Turnbull's plan for social security and workplace relations, it kills two birds with one stone.
This is the kind of disruptive and agile thinking we need for Australia.

quote:

Uber's CEO Calls His Company a Labor 'Safety Net'

Imagine if a factory in a town closes, Kalanick explained. Uber could provide jobs to those laid off workers.

“They can push a button and get to work,” he said of the flexibility that comes with driving for his company. “They can also push a button and stop working.”
http://fortune.com/2016/06/23/uber-safety-net-comments/

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

I think people itt are being far too optimistic when it comes to the libs ever losing the ~best economic managers~ title. As far as I can tell it's a title they get solely from having a born to rule attitude and people thinking that the 'tough choice' is always the better, more mature choice. Even if the libs face a recession it'll get blamed on someone else not tightening their belt enough, or the senate not backing their poor house bill.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's exactly what he's always been referring to. The gig economy! Modern! It has an app!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The BBC just called it for Leave so I guess we have a GFC 2.0 on the way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP everyone

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You may qualify for a Centrelink payment if you open the Centrelink job app every day before 8am, and no job is available over a period of 14 days.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The BBC just called it for Leave so I guess we have a GFC 2.0 on the way.

Can someone quickly explain this to me? I know next to nothing about the economy, but I thought we were pretty isolated from the UK's.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The pound is cratering.A whole lot is going to come down with it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Whew lads. We need that Turnbull plan to save us from economic collapse ey?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Can someone quickly explain this to me? I know next to nothing about the economy, but I thought we were pretty isolated from the UK's.

Leaving hurts A LOT of international trade so it becomes a lot less profitable and share prices will fall as a result. Markets are already fragile and it won't take much to trigger a meltdown, let alone 2 years of volatility resulting from the negotiations with the EU. The EU will probably slap a bunch of penalties which will hurt the UK economy. There will be a huge groundswell of other Euro-skeptic movements in other member nations which will weaken the EU further.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Watch that inflation soooooooar.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Almost all news outlets are now calling it for Leave.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Poor England can't handle some refugees so rather gently caress their economy than taking in some of them.

Hopefully Nigel Farage will be remembered in the same way to the English as Cromwell is to the Irish.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The Baby Boomers, managing to ruin the entire world before they finally cark it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Scotland rejected independence because they didn't want to go into the EU alone.

CHANGE

FROM

WITHIN

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

The Baby Boomers, managing to ruin the entire world before they finally cark it.

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/746190593559126016/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

loving lol

If the Libs have a conscience vote then gay marriage will pass. Turnbull knows this and is trying to avoid pissing off the right wing nut jobs.

The whole exercise sucks and is a waste of money and is an excuse for a good old fashioned gay bash, but the end result is going to be the legalisation of same sex marriage.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

"Boomers Ruin Everything Again"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If the Libs have a conscience vote then gay marriage will pass. Turnbull knows this and is trying to avoid pissing off the right wing nut jobs.

The whole exercise sucks and is a waste of money and is an excuse for a good old fashioned gay bash, but the end result is going to be the legalisation of same sex marriage.

I'm not sure. Do we have a list of pro and anti marriage libs?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's interesting seeing places in the UK where the vote was decided by like 1000 votes with 60% turnout.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Thanks for the clarification, all. So what I'm getting is that we're all fuckboned and it's Nigel Farage's fault.

Any chance of a silver lining, or something to soften the blow? Individual countries in the U.K. could vote to rejoin (and I think at least Scotland will) which could help a bit, at least. Would a responsive and generally-sane EU be a way to stop the oncoming economic hell?

Sure would be nice to be an adult in good economic times. That sounds like it'd be fun.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Sure would be nice to be an adult in good economic times. That sounds like it'd be fun.

You'd think so but then you get old and somehow the good world economic state was because you worked hard and these punk kids just need to get a job rather than complain...

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't think Scotland can just leave like that. It'll be years in the making if they do eventually rejoin the EU.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MysticalMachineGun posted:

You'd think so but then you get old and somehow the good world economic state was because you worked hard and these punk kids just need to get a job rather than complain...

That cliche used to work except Gen Y gets to be the first generation to make less than their parents so if we create a good economy it's going to be through undoing a whole bunch of errors.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Sorry it doesnt work like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Sorry it doesnt work like that

Yep. Just as Obama invaded Iraq and created ISIS, everything that has ever happened, even while the Libs were in power, was Labor's fault.

• Locked thread